[REMOVE ADS]

The "Blade Runner"

South African runner Oscar Pistorius is competing in the Olympics this year. What are your opinions on this matter? I think it is a wonderful example of courage and strength. That can't be denied. But if I am going to be honest here, there is a part of me that really wonders if it is fair or not. Obviously he is at a disadvantage being a double amputee. But do the fibre blades give one an advantage? In the future, with all the science and advanced technology, could there be "super" humans capable of physically more than even an Olympic athlete?

I feel for him and find his story to be compelling. However, what happens as the technology of prosthetics advances to the point that legs, arms, and possibly eyes are superior for athletic endeavors than natural appendages? Then again, if artificial ligaments and joints are developed that can extend careers and they are found to be superior to natural, would it be appropriate for athletes to replace their natural ligaments and joints with artificial ones? I know it sounds like science fiction, but if steroids are policed to the extent that they are, I honestly believe that there will come a time when athletes use surgery to increase their chances of success and including Pistorius only opens the door for them.

The wheelchair marathon is now faster than the ordinary marathon. I doubt if the issue of Pistorius will be tackled unless he wins a medal, but there are no easy answers.

You're right that it could get like science fiction. There's the possibility of gene-splicing. Do you remember the TV series "The Man from Atlantis". How long before we get a swimmer with webbed feet?

as long as those carbon fibre units dont give him a "spring" or thrust i think its ok.[[just about)
    and that he is the height he would have been with normal legs,in other words his stride length isnt exagerated.the only other concern would be that he has fewer muscles that his heart and lungs need to feed and he is probably lighter to.i'm starting to think maybe it isnt ok!the sporting bodies concerned ,IAAF and IOC,must have gone into the pros and cons for all these reasons