[REMOVE ADS]

Was it that long ago?

This is really not much more than an observation, but I grabbed a CD without looking at it to play while I ran into town this afternoon. It was Pat St. John and the WKNR recreation for the Woodward Dream Cruise......from 2002.

It's been 10 years?!? Remember when it lit up SDF like a torch?

Doug,

I didn't get here until around December 2003 so I'm not aware of it.

Could you give a little recap of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    This is really not much more than an observation, but I grabbed a CD without looking at it to play while I ran into town this afternoon. It was Pat St. John and the WKNR recreation for the Woodward Dream Cruise......from 2002.

It's been 10 years?!? Remember when it lit up SDF like a torch?
    I remember listening to WKNR and Pat St. John when I was a kid. I did not know about this Woodward Dream Cruise. What happened?

Keep in mind I live 2216.87 miles west of The Totem Pole [[22538 Woodward Ave.), and have for almost 40 years. But when I grew up in Ferndale, cruzing Woodward Avenue was THE THING, and although I did it in my daddy's Fury III, it didn't prevent us from hitting the drive-ins like the Big Boy, Teds, the Totem Pole and others in a vain attempt to 1) look cool and 2) pick up chicks. This was back when the car was king, and the king of the radio was WKNR-Keener 13.

In 1995, as a fundraiser for something I don't remember, a Ferndale plumber organized a cruise through Ferndale, Plesant Ridge, Royal Oak and Berkley, expecting to draw maybe 25.000. It drew a quarter of a million folks, many with cars of the 60's era. In 2002, the owners of the then WXDX, which was what WKNR had become, allowed Mike Austerman [[?), he of www.keener13.com to get a bunch of the old jocks back together, along with period music from '63 to '71 or 2, jingles, commercials and the like, and for a couple of days in August of 2002 on Dream Cruise weekend, 1310 AM sounded like 1967 all over again.

It got a lot of buzz around here. The folks putting the whole thing together made a call for requests on SDF and it went crazy for a few days, and when the broadcast hit the air, it went crazy all over again. I wish someone would do it again.

BTW, the Woodward Dream Cruise is coming up in a couple of weeks. I won't be there, but if someone shows up in a Green over Green 4 door 1968 Plymouth Fury III, my spirit will be along for the ride. Info here.... http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

So shine up your GTX [[I'm a Chrysler guy) and go. Sure with I could....
    Last edited by Doug-Morgan; 08-03-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Keep in mind I live 2216.87 miles west of The Totem Pole [[22538 Woodward Ave.), and have for almost 40 years. But when I grew up in Ferndale, cruzing Woodward Avenue was THE THING, and although I did it in my daddy's Fury III, it didn't prevent us from hitting the drive-ins like the Big Boy, Teds, the Totem Pole and others in a vain attempt to 1) look cool and 2) pick up chicks. This was back when the car was king, and the king of the radio was WKNR-Keener 13.

In 1995, as a fundraiser for something I don't remember, a Ferndale plumber organized a cruise through Ferndale, Plesant Ridge, Royal Oak and Berkley, expecting to draw maybe 25.000. It drew a quarter of a million folks, many with cars of the 60's era. In 2002, the owners of the then WXDX, which was what WKNR had become, allowed Mike Austerman [[?), he of www.keener13.com to get a bunch of the old jocks back together, along with period music from '63 to '71 or 2, jingles, commercials and the like, and for a couple of days in August of 2002 on Dream Cruise weekend, 1310 AM sounded like 1967 all over again.

It got a lot of buzz around here. The folks putting the whole thing together made a call for requests on SDF and it went crazy for a few days, and when the broadcast hit the air, it went crazy all over again. I wish someone would do it again.

BTW, the Woodward Dream Cruise is coming up in a couple of weeks. I won't be there, but if someone shows up in a Green over Green 4 door 1968 Plymouth Fury III, my spirit will be along for the ride. Info here.... http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

So shine up your GTX [[I'm a Chrysler guy) and go. Sure with I could....
    Doug, I didn't know you were from Ferndale? Very cool. Keener 13 was king until CKLW went "Big 8"! This event sounds like it was great man.

Doug,

Thanks for the happy recap. I'm going to hit the link that you posted & get myself up to speed.

It's funny that although I'm a New Yorker, I've come to like & care about Detroit. Every now & then, I've popped into DetroitYes because there are people who live in Detroit whom I care about & I like to know what's going on there.

Though I like it & like the repartee between most of the forum members, I've never joined because as a New Yorker, I don't feel as though I have anything of value to chip in there.

Thanks for the info, I'll go check it out!

Marv....
    .....yup, Ferndale High School '66 [[GO EAGLES!). Lived on West Maplehurst. That was back in the day when everything revolved around the radio.

And you're right about CKLW. The Big 8 came on the air as a Drake/Chenault programmed station in late '65, finally knocking Keener from it's #1 perch in July of '67. As an aside, there's a group out there who would like to get CKLW Music Director Rosalie Trombley inducted in to the RRHoF. I support that effort.

Juice.....
    ......we finally got the sewer plant up and running out here. Only took 15 years......
    Last edited by Doug-Morgan; 08-04-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Marv....
    .....yup, Ferndale High School '66 [[GO EAGLES!). Lived on West Maplehurst. That was back in the day when everything revolved around the radio.

And you're right about CKLW. The Big 8 came on the air as a Drake/Chenault programmed station in late '65, finally knocking Keener from it's #1 perch in July of '67. As an aside, there's a group out there who would like to get CKLW Music Director Rosalie Trombley inducted in to the RRHoF. I support that effort.

Juice.....
    ......we finally got the sewer plant up and running out here. Only took 15 years......
    Rosalie should have been in there already. She was the true hit maker....the Queen of Radio for many years!

Doug you live in Canada now, right?