[REMOVE ADS]

New SDF relaunch

I'm not sure if I should be starting this here or elsewhere, but I thought I'd put it in the main SDF Forum because it' s [[mine) and probably others starting point. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Hi Lowell and Ralph. I totally understand the need for the change and appreciate all your hard work. I have nothing but praise for you both for all you've done over the years.

On initial view our eyes have got to get used to another colour contrast layout, but I'm sure we'll do so quickly. However, the narrowed width of the post 'panel' seems a big waste of space and restriction in easy viewing [[unless it's a result of my own poor computer usage skills!). Will this widen and be another benefit of being an Angel as well as losing the ads?

I really appreciate the new tab at the top which allows easier access to the other Forums. Great improvement.

I have donated in the past, but I think this new situation highlights to all of us who view, take part in and enjoy SDF that it costs time and money to run. If we enjoy it, we must support it financially. I don't know whether this move is a precursor to 'support it or lose it' but perhaps everyone who visits and values SDF should take this as a reminder and suggestion to become an Angel and support what we value.

smark21 Guest
    I agree. Can the lay out be widened?

hit the magnify button on mine its top right tool bar i think i'm explorer 9
    or maybe bottom right near the date/time group [[explorer 8)125% is ok,150% a bit tooo much!
    Last edited by tamla617; 08-02-2012 at 04:29 PM.

...the ads are fine ...but a huge expanse of empty grey space ...either side of the featured screen ...taking up more than a quarter of available screen width ...seems unnecessary ...and a waste ...IMHO

Grape.....it's a similar setup as there is across the hall at DetroitYes. It does take a little getting used to after the old forums, but like any new thing, you'll adapt. I had my "oh shit" moment when they changed DetroitYes but now, after 3 or 4 months, it's second nature. Remember the grumblings when we went to the now "old" new forum a few years ago?

Good job, Lowell. I knew it was coming.......after the DetYes change I had asked Lowell if this was coming to SDF and he said yes.....and like anything else it's going to take a bit of getting used to, but I think the look is really nice and I like the organization. And, although I don't post anywhere near as much as I used to, I still think for it's subject matter it's the best site around.

Can't stand the new layout.
    It makes reading the threads really annoying.
    Please go back to the old 'wide' format.

The change doesn't bother me. I don't notice the ads most of the time. but I also think having the ads there makes SDF less expensive to operate. Is this not true? The advertisers help support SDF, right?

I quite like it. I think there is a business opportunity putting the people who advertise on the left hand side in touch with the ones on the right. I also enjoy the ads for mature dating. Why be limited to one night stands at the drop in centre? I can't read the posts any more, but I'm sure I can pick up an electron microscope if I can just offload one of my timeshares.

I don't mind SDF having to use ads. Truthfully, I wish that there were no need to do so.

I can't speak for anyone else but regardless of any negative happenings of the past, SDF has played nothing less than a positive role in my life, which is why I had problem donating here in the past & even though I don't get to visit here anywhere as often as I once was able to, I plan on donating again.

I think of all of the forum members I've met here in nearly a decade & most of our members have been the coolest people imaginable. I'm fond of about 98% of our forumers & you have to admit that we've had a lot of fun & have certainly learned a lot from one another through the years.

There are some here whom while never having met them face-to-face, I'd certainly consider them to be friends at the very least, or kindred spirits at the very least.

Beyond that, any of us are free to come here & display our talents, pictures, writing, singing, producing & are able to do so at absolutely ZERO CHARGE. Go over to Billboard or some other sites & try to have your personal questions answered & see how much they charge you for that information.

Here, no matter how obscure an artist may be, there's always been someone here who has answered a question or 10 within days, usually within hours or minutes. That's a success rate that I haven't seen in too many other forums not related to Funk or Northern Soul forums.

SDF has proven to be made up of forumers whom have VERY eclectic tastes, as opposed to many other forums whom are very specific in a particular musical genre. Here, we've pretty much covered it all.

I wish for SDF to continue forward & would love to see everyone participate here as we once did. I understand that Facebook is the thing these days, but I don't find Facebook to be anywhere as enjoyable as SDF in its glory.

It would be nice if folks could drop the B.S., check the baggage at the door & come back & make this the forum that it was & can still be.

No...SDF IS NOT Facebook & thank God for that!

I think that the change is a great one. I was a little concerned to see the ads for singles....but I won't really have a problem with the ads until they star depicting mail order brides.

So long as I don't see any ads for Extenze & Jimmy Johnson popping up on my screen, I'll be alright

Thank you for your responses pro or con. Having managed DetroitYES for 13 years and this forum for nearly ten, I can assure that there is no solution that will please everyone. However we have to settle on one at some point and, for better or worse, what you see is what you get.

Our primary goal is make the process of conversations fast, easy and enjoyable. There is a saying that "good umpiring goes unnoticed" and that is what we strive for. But this also costs a considerable amount of money and time for hosting fees, software costs and more. The ads along with your donations helps keep this from being a real dollar loss.

Please be mindful that what you are looking at is literally the tip of the iceberg. Behind the scenes that only Ralph and I see there is a vast relational database, a complicated and sophisticated control panel system, monthly software updates to fend off ever-increasing spam and hacking attacks, replies to inquiries and vetting of new members to guard against spammers who would disrupt your conversations.

As for ads, we block domains like dating site and other potentially harmful [such as to women or children-involved] ads. If you spot one, please click the ad to see the domain name [eg chinesewomendate.com] and send it to us using the Contact & Support links at the bottom of any page so that we can be alerted and block them.

The one thing I miss is the "New Posts" button. Also, since it's a music forum, it would be cool to have music/audio-related ads if we must have them. I'm assuming there's no way to avoid what goes up.

I would donate some coin but money is very tight these days.

Soulster, per your suggestion, we have added 'New Posts' to the SoulfulDetroit Forums dropdown at the top of every page. The latest 3 or 4 also appear in the lower column on the right on the Forums Index page, which is now the default home page of www.SoulfulDetroit.com.

We don't control the ads, other than blocking ones we find objectionable.

What happens is that Google reads the content of the page being viewed then places ads based on that and the locale of the IP address from which you are arriving. Consequently, there will be a high degree of music and Detroit-related ads, but not entirely. Someone is England will likely get more UK-related ads but, again, not entirely.

For new posts I'm happy enough just to click on the "Unread Posts" icon which appears on the left of each topic that has had new entries since the last time I was on the forum .

Am I on the right sight..What Happened to the format.Ive only been gone for a few months.WOWOOWOWO

I am using a browser with AdBlockPlus. I don't see any ads. I'll still donate when I can afford to.

Is Soulful Detroit a family friendly website?

I understand the need for advertisers- but one caught my attention.
    Pictured are 4 mature woman, very pretty and very well built. The tag line for the ad reads:

"We DON'T Like Young Men! We Want YOU! Click here to join now"

Is this the image that Soulful Detroit wishes to project- yet another come hither come-on?

I can't speak for others, but I wonder what surprise the next ad will hold and the next and the next?

There is already a thread discussing this. This issue has been addressed as follows:

As for ads, we block domains like dating site and other potentially harmful [such as to women or children-involved] ads. If you spot one, please click the ad to see the domain name [eg chinesewomendate.com] and send it to us using the Contact & Support links at the bottom of any page so that we can be alerted and block them.
    Once again if you prefer not to see ads we offer a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    I understand the need for advertisers- but one caught my attention.
    Pictured are 4 mature woman, very pretty and very well built. The tag line for the ad reads:

"We DON'T Like Young Men! We Want YOU! Click here to join now"

Is this the image that Soulful Detroit wishes to project- yet another come hither come-on?

I can't speak for others, but I wonder what surprise the next ad will hold and the next and the next?
    The ads seem to know our browsing history. I was looking up car insurance rates and later found an insurance company advertisement here. Wasn't anyone on your computer browsing for pretty mature well built woman on your computer before you came here ?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

The ads seem to know our browsing history. I was looking up car insurance rates and later found an insurance company advertisement here. Wasn't anyone on your computer browsing for pretty mature well built woman on your computer before you came here ?
    Not that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

This is known as 'retargeting' in the industry. Anyone who spends a fair amount of time on the internet or a website that retargets becomes 'known', not personally by name, although that is possible, but as a profile. Your location is given away by your IP address and combined with cookies, forms you may fill out and other actions you perform build a profile about your interests to the point where you are recognizable. "Oh here comes so and so again. He has spent a lot of time on pages for ski equipment lately, so let's feed him ads for ski lodges within a 200 mile radius of him."

And no, we do not retarget on SD.

It's funny to me to be on SDF and see an ad for the Seatle Mariners. Almost as funny as an add for Fred Meyers [[as in Kroger, not Meijer's as in Thrifty Acres) on the Detroit News website.

On the other hand, some of the ads appear to be random, as I've been to no site looking for a mate, a date, nor anything remotely related to that particular subject matter.

So it appears as though some of these ads aren't related to our browsing habits.