[REMOVE ADS]

EnVogue Splitsville Again

The group breaks up into two different versions
    http://alwaysalist.com/music/en-vogue-splits/

RossHolloway Guest
    That's too bad. Those are some really serious singers. Hope they all find a way to work out their differences.

smark21 Guest
    Going by the article, it seems Dawn Robinson may be the most difficult member of the group. Now that they’ve split into two groups, I wonder which grouping will have legal rights to the name? I suspect this will end up in court.

Well, this is not surprising. They've mature as a group. I believe I first heard them 22 or 23 years ago. They are just experiencing what has gone down in groups that came before them and every since.

The odd thing is that I wasn't aware that they were doing anything on a regular basis. I thought that there were a few one-offs, but not a full-blown reunion.

To borrow from Teena, "Deja Vu...feels like I've been here before".

Im trying to think if there's a female group -or male group-with all of its original members still together. The Emotions maybe...

Hi Luke,
    We [[ THE TYMES ), still have two original members.
    Norman Burnett, Al [[ CEASAR ) bERRY.
    O RIGINAL 2ND TENOR George Hilliard, retired
    Original Bass singer, Don Banks decessed
    Original Lead singer , George Williams, decessed.
    We are in the process of putting our web sight up.
    www. The Original Tymes.com check it out
    From left to right
    Norman Burnett
    Russel Gore
    Al [[CEASAR ) Berry
    Jimmy Wells

Go to www.TheOriginalTymes .

The Velvelettes

Yep thanks all.

What's really sad is Jawn Murray thought this was news for his A-list column. He's out of the loop. There's a generation of music fans today who don't know or remember En Vogue. IT IS GENERALY BELIEVED THAT DAWN ROBINSON is not easy to get along with. She's caused trouble before. Allegedly, she and other Voguer Teri Ellis never got along.

Luke,

Black Ivory consisting of Leroy Burgess, Stuart Bascombe & Russell Patterson still have all 3 original members & are still performing.

Here's a little collage that I did of them...

Name:  Black Ivory.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  59.0 KB

Kamasu,

You are quite a charitible man.

"Generally believed" is very charitible.

The sad thing is that after all of these years & the Lucy Pearl situation, I would think that it would be understood that a reunion with En Vogue would be the best route to success & keeping food on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Luke,

Black Ivory consisting of Leroy Burgess, Stuart Bascombe & Russell Patterson still have all 3 original members & are still performing.

Here's a little collage that I did of them...

Name:  Black Ivory.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  59.0 KB
    Great pictures! They've held up well.

Thanks Marv & indeed they have.

As a New York based forumer, you really should check them out when they're in the area, which is reasonably often locally. They're very approachable & down-to-earth people, who aside from singing could be your next-door neighbors.

The primary difference is that whereas Leroy used to sing those high falsettos, Stu now handles that end of things. Beyond that, these brothers have indeed held up well & still put on a great show.

A lot of people sleep on them but they have a rather nice-sized catalog of music to draw from & when Leroy's work with the Aleems, Convertion & Logg are added, it grows even more.

A lot of people were listening to Leroy's voice without ever knowing it.

Under fair-disclosure, I feel compelled to add that Stuart says that despite retirement within this group, he includes Tavares in the list of the 2 groups whom are currently comprised of their original members.

I've always liked Dawn Robinson but she can be a "handful"...I'm not at all surprised about
    this...

I agree and that's a shame cause IMO ,DAWN is the "EN" in EN VOUGE

It's funny how Dawn is the focus of this article, when it really should be Maxine. Dawn's been away from the group since March,or earlier. Maxine recently left the trio and asked Dawn to form their own version of En Vogue. If Dawn was such a handful, I don't think Maxine would be bothered with her. Now as far as the voice and the sound of EnVogue as a group, it's Max hands down, the lady has a range from the bottom to the top. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Caesar, Russell is with you guys now? That is one singing brother. I remember when he was with Sirenity and he was singing so sweet, I had to throw a handkerchief at him [[church style)!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Hi Nosey,
    Always glad to hear from you.
    Hope things are going well.
    Yes, Russell is with us, and I must say he is a great added addition to the group.
    He brings a lot of eexperience to the table.
    Everyone seems to like him.
    Best Always
    Ceasar

Just saw Maxine and Dawn on ACCESS HOLLYWOOD LIVE discussing the split. Apparently there was a deal on the table that was the lesser of three deals. Cindy and Terri were set on the deal which was offered by their original producers Foster & McElroy. Dawn and Maxine were against the deal. The ladies stated that Terri Ellis, who has dated one of the producers off and on for several years was making a personall decision and not a business one. The split has gotten ugly to the point where the B word has been thrown around and ugly tweets. Now if I can get some clarity on why Kathy Sledge has her version of Sister Sledge while Debbie & Joni Sledge have another.

What is it with all of these R&B groups? They can't stay together and keep their egos in check for even the length of a tour. Between this and the Original7 fiasco, I just keep shaking my head. There is serious money in them thar hills for bands/singing groups with as many original members as possible. And is it just me, or is this situation mainly involving R&B acts?

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    What is it with all of these R&B groups? They can't stay together and keep their egos in check for even the length of a tour. Between this and the Original7 fiasco, I just keep shaking my head. There is serious money in them thar hills for bands/singing groups with as many original members as possible. And is it just me, or is this situation mainly involving R&B acts?
    Well a few weeks ago the reunited Beach Boys had an ugly split when Mike Love fired Brian Wilson and two other members. There’s a thread here about it.
    And 80’s synth pop band New Order is having disputes among members past and present. Bassist Peter Hook who quit the group in 2007 is very upset the remaining 3 original members are touring without him and has attacked his replacement as a fake among other complaints to the press. And there are lawsuits.

I see Maxine & Dawn have formed another group but can't call themselves EnVogue. I read on the forum a lengthy article that says when a group member leaves a group he or she cannot take the group name if it's not legally owned.

Just to be nosey, I'm going to ask the music teacher here who played guitar for Dawn several times his take on her. Just being nosey..........................

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Well a few weeks ago the reunited Beach Boys had an ugly split when Mike Love fired Brian Wilson and two other members. There’s a thread here about it.
    And 80’s synth pop band New Order is having disputes among members past and present. Bassist Peter Hook who quit the group in 2007 is very upset the remaining 3 original members are touring without him and has attacked his replacement as a fake among other complaints to the press. And there are lawsuits.
    Definitely heard about that and the whole Roger Waters/Dave Gilmour /Pink Floyd conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Just saw Maxine and Dawn on ACCESS HOLLYWOOD LIVE discussing the split. Apparently there was a deal on the table that was the lesser of three deals. Cindy and Terri were set on the deal which was offered by their original producers Foster & McElroy. Dawn and Maxine were against the deal. The ladies stated that Terri Ellis, who has dated one of the producers off and on for several years was making a personall decision and not a business one. The split has gotten ugly to the point where the B word has been thrown around and ugly tweets. Now if I can get some clarity on why Kathy Sledge has her version of Sister Sledge while Debbie & Joni Sledge have another.
    Now that's a question I would like to know "Now if I can get some clarity on why Kathy Sledge has her version of Sister Sledge while Debbie & Joni Sledge have another". If you come up with that answer please post it. Re: EV I know what they sound like without Dawn & Max, I'm realy interest to hear what Dawn & Maxine sound without Terry & Cindy.

Well the music teacher said she was laid back, the consumate professional who had high standards and you had to toe the line. She knew what she wanted and you had to produce. He experienced no ego tripping with her just someone who was very self assured and confident.