[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes at the Copa still rockin' Thanks George and Andy.

I got my copy of the Supremes at the Copa almost 2 weeks ago, and I am enjoying every minute of the
    double cd, inspite of my comments previously aired, I would like to thank both George Solomon and Andy skruw for putting together a fantabulous project. I have loved the Supremes at the Copa ever since the day I received it as a Christmas present from my mom in Dec of 1965.

I have a few observations, on the 2nd CD why is it that Flo's vocals are hardly audible, on some tracks, and it seems like Mary is singing along with Diana on many of the tracks here, on others Mary & Flo's blend is fabulous. Is it true that Flo did not perform a verse on Enjoy Yourself is because she did not [[want to) learn the song. On the other hand on the bonus tracks on Disc One Diana Mary & Flo stand out fabulously on all of the tracks on the bonus tracks disc 1, and on the original album mastered onto Cd Flo is heard more where Mary is not.

All in all I love this album no matter how I play it, disc 2 has grown on me, and I thank you guys for putting together a great project the main point is this: both opening songs on both discs "From this Moment On" disc 2 and "Put on a Happy Face" disc 1 represent the original supremes at their best, Diana Mary & Flo in unison singing greatly. This appears to be the last great Supremes performance as a group on record before, Diana Ross got her closeup in the group. This album also represented a great moment in musical history for a record company that made the entertainment world take notice of its flagship group THE Supremes in a time when black artists were still at the crossroads.
    Last edited by franjoy56; 07-18-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Thank you very much for the compliments. They are much appreciated. I think their next recorded show at the Rooster Tail represents them even better as a group!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Thank you very much for the compliments. They are much appreciated. I think their next recorded show at the Rooster Tail represents them even better as a group!
    What was the set list for the Rooster Tail show?

George does this mean that "Live At The Rooster Tail" is under construction ?

I finally got this cd are we sposed to belive that Flirence. BLONDIE ballard was to ascared to sing on enjou Yourself a nother crocknof buloshit iv ever there twas one they woodnt letbher sing.

I don't think Florence was one to be silenced, if she wanted to sing the song she would have taken her verse, either she did not enjoy the song or she didn't learn it before the show, remember Flo did miss some rehearsal time prior to the Copa opening July 29, but her vocals on disc 1 as well as the bonus tracks and the opening number on disc 2 come in loud and clear.

The Supremes At The Copa, what an amazing set. Harry, George and Andrew never disappoint. These sets are always what I expect and more. I applaud these guys.

Kudos to Harry, George, Andy and Kevin on this re-mastered expanded edition!!!!

I too was blown away listening to the complete concert on Disc 2. Never would i have dreamed that we would get a full representation of their 1st copa shows. Disc 2 really out shined what i received when i got the mono lp for christmas from my parents in Dec 1965. After playing that album over and over, while my older cousin [[who lived with us) was playing More Hits By The Supremes, it convinced my parents to take us to see one of their concerts in Chicago the following year which is a thrill that i will never forgot. It's really amazing what 2012 technology is capable of!!!!

Now the one question that i have at the moment that wasn't in the booklet that i kind of would like to have know. It's been stated that their premiere at the Copa was July 29, 1965. What am curious about is... how long did they perform there? 3 days, 5 days, a full week and how many shows did they do each nite? Don't think that i read that in the booklet, but could have missed it. The info on the Hip-O website says 6 recorded shows... does that mean they 6 nites and 1 show each nite or were there more that were not recorded?

greg jones
    los angeles, ca

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post

Now the one question that i have at the moment that wasn't in the booklet that i kind of would like to have know. It's been stated that their premiere at the Copa was July 29, 1965. What am curious about is... how long did they perform there? 3 days, 5 days, a full week and how many shows did they do each nite? Don't think that i read that in the booklet, but could have missed it. The info on the Hip-O website says 6 recorded shows... does that mean they 6 nites and 1 show each nite or were there more that were not recorded?

greg jones
    los angeles, ca
    Hi Greg. You'll find some info on the Copa engagements here:

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?AuctionItemID=64560

ExGuyParis... wow that was interesting! Would like to the see the full contract. What i could make out says 3 weeks, 2 nitely shows and something about holiday. i get the feeling that they didn't perform 3 weeks, just that was the option for the year. Could be wrong, but i think the copa usually liked to switch things out every week. Plus i'm sure that they had to have at least 1 nite off per week.

I've read that the first Copa engagement was two weeks, perhaps it was later extended to three due to popluar demand. I think they did two shows during the week, and three on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.