[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bob Babbitt RIP

He Made His Mark!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LATEST MUSIC News

Motown legend Bob Babbitt dead

D.I.S.H.
    Legendary Funk Brother Bob Babbitt has passed away from brain cancer

July 17, 2012

Legendary Funk Brothers bassist Bob Babbitt has died of brain cancer in Nashville. He was 74 years old. Detroit News reports that Babbitt died at 7:15 am local time on July 17.

If his name doesn't automatically ring any bells, surely the thumping bass that would become Babbitt's calling card has put the funk in your trunk at one time or another. As a member of the uncredited backing band at Motown studios from 1966 to 1972, Babbitt laid down bass tracks to anchor numerous hits, including Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours," Edwin Starr's "War," Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' "The Tears of a Clown" and "Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me)" by The Temptations.

Babbitt was born Robert Kreinar in Pittsburgh in 1937. He got his start playing in the clubs of his home town before finally cutting his first top ten hit 'Flamingo Express' with the Royaltones in 1961. He soon caught the ear of Del Shannon and became Shannon's tour mate before finally landing in Detroit.

Known mainly among other musicians, Babbitt finally got some public recognition after the release of the 2002 film about the Funk Brothers, Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Babbitt's son Joe Kreinar told the Detroit News, 'He was a tough man - strong. He could take pain. Right now I miss him deeply, and it's only been a few hours.'

[[Image: Momentum Pictures)

Sorry to hear this...RIP, Babbitt, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

On behalf of the Babbitt/Kreinar family, many thanks to Ralph for the post and to all for your condolences. Bob has joined his musical parents and siblings in heaven and they are singing and playing their favorite songs.

Bob's brother Chuck

I'm so sorry to hear of BOB's passing. The least that we can do is to rejoice in the gift of his talent and let the world know how great this man was. How much he has given us through his music and his humanity. He IS one of the greatest examples of a musician and human being and that is our responsibility to carry that fact on. Rest In Peace ,Rest in Honor Bob Babbit!!!

Well said, Daddy.

Hi,
    It's sad news indeed.. I'll be doing a one hour tribute to Bob on my radio show, "The Bottomless Pit" on WFUV [[or wfuv.org); the show airs every Saturday at 10 PM, the tribute will be on Aug. 18th.
    Meanwhile, I have a couple of questions for the Forum:
    1) Did Bob play on "She's Not Just Another Woman", by the 8th Day?
    2) Does anybody know which tracks on Bonnie Raitt's album "Streetlights" Bob played on?
    3) Likewise on Laura Nyro's "Smile" album?

thanks,
    MC
    Last edited by mhc; 07-23-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    Hi,
    It's sad news indeed.. I'll be doing a one hour tribute to Bob on my radio show, "The Bottomless Pit" on WFUV [[or wfuv.org); the show airs every Saturday at 10 PM, the tribute will be on Aug. 18th.
    Meanwhile, I have a couple of questions for the Forum:
    1) Did Bob play on "She's Not Just Another Woman", by the 8th Day?
    2) Does anybody know which tracks on Bonnie Raitt's album "Streetlights" Bob played on?
    3) Likewise on Laura Nyro's "Smile" album?

thanks,
    MC
    Hi Marshall...

Tony Newton was the bassist on SNJAW. 8th day was Tonys group along with Bruce Nazarian and Melvin Davis.

On behalf of all Babbitts friends, thanks for the tribute you're planning. All the accolades Bob has received nationwide from so many media sources has been overwhelming, amazing, and heartwarming.
    Last edited by StuBass1; 07-23-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks Stu,
    That's very helpful.. I used to see Bruce here and there, didn't know that he was involved in that great record, etc...
    MC

Hey,
    I've decided to move the air date forward, have it sooner rather than later.. "The Bottomless Pit" tribute to Bob Babbitt will happen on 8/11, 10 PM EST, on WFUV [[wfuv.org)
    MC

I'm sorry that in my zipping in & out of here that somehow, I missed this thread.

I'm sorry to read this sad news. I met Bob & Uriel when they were inducted into the R&B Foundation Hall Of Fame & exchanged a few pleasantries with them.

As I mentioned previously, Bob contributed to many classics & here in N.Y., more than a few songs featuring his bass lines found themselves being used as the foundation for a lot of rappers routines & as a big part of N.Y. block parties.

My sincere condolences to Bob's family & loved ones & to his friends & fans. Bob certainly made some heavy contributions to the music that we loved & grew up with.

Bob Babbitt - R.I.P.

I'm not sure on the specifics yet, but I've heard that there will be a memorial for Bob in Detroit on August 26th. I'm going to do my best to be there, and I'll absolutely post any specifics or any changes that I hear of. Bob Babbitt is the best.

Sorry for the double post, but apparently I'm slow on the uptake. The tribute will be on Udetroit on the 26th, and the specifics are in the Babbitt thread on the Motown forum!