[REMOVE ADS]

ATTENTION Detroit Gospel/Spiritual Record Collectors!-Message Records Discography

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  21.1 KB
    Hi fellow collectors. A few SDF Members who are interested in Motown and Harvey Fuqua and Gwen Gordy's Harvey/Tri-Phi labels are trying to put together a discography of Hardye Producing corporation's subsidiary Message Records [[Gospel/Spiritual music label), which operated in 1962-63.

We have the following information, so far:

1234 Sensational Jubilettes-"Remember Judgment Day"/"Jordan River"
    1235 Sensational Saints of Ohio-"Come On"/"Ain't That A Shame"
    1236 Sensational Skylarks of Detroit-"A Little More Grace"/"A Sinner's Prayer"

1237-1238 The Sensational Saints of Ohio's known second single release, and, perhaps, the rumoured Message single by The Jordan Harmonizers.

We are pretty confident that this label's series started with No. 1234, because that record's "A" side has the master number of 8000 [[a series starting number)-as seen on this label scan:

Name:  MessageRecords.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  11.4 KB

Scan provided by SDF member Nikki on a thread several years ago.

If you have any of the information we are missing [[record numbers, song titles, and or you can provide us any information about the operation of Gwen and Harvey's Message Records, please let us know on this thread or personal message. Thanks.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-13-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  21.1 KB
    I have seen the page from McGrath's book now, showing 1235 and 1236 as BOTH being by The Sensational Saints of Ohio. But, I have also seen two other listings of 1236, ALONE, that say 1236 is those same songs, only that the artists are The Sensational Skylarks of Detroit. I haven't seen the record, nor a scan of 1236, so I'd like to get confirmation. But the odds make it look more like it's an error in McGrath's listing, and that all 3 releases are by different groups. But, that makes me believe also that there is not likely to be a second Sensational Saints of Ohio single as 1237 or 1238, and also makes me wonder if possibly only the three records 1234-36 were issued. Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

Hi Robb!

Next I picked up "The Gospel Discography" [[by Cedric J. Hayes & Robert Laughton), and it confirms your discography above in terms of Message 1234-36. Ea

...to be continued...

Each group had only that one single listed.

The Jordan Harmonaires had only one single in that book, I Won't Mind/Do You Know Him on Tri-Phi 1009.

Best regards
    Heikki