[REMOVE ADS]

Harvey Record label subsidiaries

I recently read that the Harvey Record label had two subsidiaries, H.P.C. and Message. Internet research revealed there was only one release on the H.P.C. label: 10001 - Just Too Much To Hope For b/w Family Reunion. Absolutely nothing available on the Message label. Does any one know how many 45s were released on this label, titles, singers, etc. Thank you for any help you can give. I would greatly appreciate seeing a scan of one of the records. In case you do not know what H.P.C. stands for it stands for Hardye Producing Company, Detroit, Mich.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  21.1 KB
    The other Harvey subsidiary other than H.P.C. was Message Records. It was a Gospel/Spiritual label. It had several issues released, but I don't have a discography of the label. I do know that one of the 45s was #1234. We had some scans of some of its releases posted on a thread on the Old SDF, but, unfortunately, those threads [[along with many others) have been lost [[due to the transfer). I believe that that label was founded in 1962 and ran through 1963 [[until the Hardye operations were folded into Motown). I would guess that there were more than 5 but less than 10 records released on it. It might be that The Jordan Harmonizers were one of them, as they recorded for Tri-Phi Records in 1961, before Message Records was started up.

H.P.C.'s artists were Clyde Wilson [[AKA Steve Mancha) and Wilbur Jackson [[as The Two Friends). Everyone wondered if Steve Mancha ever worked for Motown. He DID! After Hardye Producing Corp. was folded into Motown, his contract was one that was brought in. He wrote a few songs for Jobete Music, and, I believe, made a recording or two. But He was not re-signed, when deciding he had been overlooked there, and would have a better chance to get his songs on the radio and to get recorded, himself, at other companies. He signed with Don Davis BEFORE the latter set up Groovesville Records.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-13-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 555
    The other Harvey subsidiary other than H.P.C. was Message Records. It was a Gospel/Spiritual label. It had several issues released, but I don't have a discography of the label. I do know that one of the 45s was #1234. We had some scans of some of its releases posted on a thread on the Old SDF, but, unfortunately, those threads [[along with many others) have been lost [[due to the transfer). I believe that that label was founded in 1962 and ran through 1963 [[until the Hardye operations were folded into Motown). I would guess that there were more than 5 but less than 10 records released on it. It might be that The Jordan Harmonizers were one of them, as they recorded for Tri-Phi Records in 1961, before Message Records was started up.

H.P.C.'s artists were Clyde Wilson [[AKA Steve Mancha) and Wilbur Jackson [[as The Two Friends). Everyone wondered if Steve Mancha ever worked for Motown. He DID! After Hardye Producing Corp. was folded into Motown, his contract was one that was brought in. He wrote a few songs for Jobete Music, and, I believe, made a recording or two. But He was not re-signed, when deciding he had been overlooked there, and would have a better chance to get his songs on the radio and to get recorded, himself, at other companies. He signed with Don Davis BEFORE the latter set up Groovesville Records.
    Thank you very much for clarification. It seems as though no Motown or Motown related books ever discussed or showed a discography. I had a feeling that you would be the one to supply the information. For which I thank you very very much. Good to know we have an expert such as you.

Views: 546
    Here is a scan of Message 1234, by The Sensational Jubilettes, as posted by SDF member, Nikki, on our defunct thread,"Detroit Gospel Labels", back some years ago:

Name:  MessageRecords.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  11.4 KB

Views: 558
    Here's my copy of The HPC record:

Name:  TwoFriends.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  18.9 KB

Hi!

Bob McGrath's "The R&B Indies" lists one Message single by The Sensational Jubilettes [[the one above) and two by The Sensational Saints of Ohio.
    Further singles on Message Records are by Murray McKay, Together Gospel Chorale, Marilyn Hogan and R. Bonner [[The Weary Travelers).

Keith Rylatt's "Groovesville USA" adds still Sensational Skylarks of Detroit.

Best regards
    Heikki

Views: 539
    Thanks Heikki,
    Do you have a listing of the Catalogue numbers of those records, and their titles? I know that one of The Sensational Saints of Ohio's cuts was titled: "Come On".

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

Bob McGrath's "The R&B Indies" lists one Message single by The Sensational Jubilettes [[the one above) and two by The Sensational Saints of Ohio.
    Further singles on Message Records are by Murray McKay, Together Gospel Chorale, Marilyn Hogan and R. Bonner [[The Weary Travelers).

Keith Rylatt's "Groovesville USA" adds still Sensational Skylarks of Detroit.

Best regards
    Heikki
Views: 514
    Murray McKay and Marilyn Hogan's records were released on a DIFFERENT Message Records, from the 1970s [[1974). They are Funk records. The Together Gospel Chorale and R. Bonner [[The Weary Traveler) were also released on that same 1970s Funk label.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-13-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Views: 546
    The Sensational Skylarks of Detroit is on Message 1236, and the A side is titled: "A Little More Grace".

Views: 545
    As I recall there were a handful of records released on Message. So perhaps there were the following [[with 1234-1236 confirmed):

1234 Sensational Jubilettes-"Remember Judgment Day"/"Jordan River"
    1235 Sensational Saints of Ohio-"Come On"/"Ain't That a Shame"
    1236 Sensational Skylarks of Detroit-"A Little More Grace"/"A Sinner's Prayer"

1237-1238 ? The Sensational Saints of Ohio's second single release, and, perhaps, the rumoured Message single by The Jordan Harmonizers.

We can be reasonably confident that Record No. 1234 was the start of the series, as the master number on its "A" side is 8000 [[a likely series starting number).
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-13-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Views: 530
    I have seen the page from McGrath's book now, showing 1235 and 1236 as BOTH being by The Sensational Saints of Ohio. But, I have also seen two other listings of 1236, ALONE, that say 1236 is those same songs, only that the artists are The Sensational Skylarks of Detroit. I haven't seen the record, nor a scan of 1236, so I'd like to get confirmation. But the odds make it look more like it's an error in McGrath's listing, and that all 3 releases are by different groups. But, that makes me believe also that there is not likely to be a second Sensational Saints of Ohio single as 1237 or 1238, and also makes me wonder if possibly only the three records 1234-36 were issued.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-13-2012 at 07:50 PM.

I am aware of only the three Message releases already mentioned.

However there was a second release on HPC.

Davern Neally on HPC101002

'if you love me baby' b/w 'Rainy Day'

Over the course of the weekend I dusted off one of the record cases, having wondered if we had seen the Davern Neally record on H.P.C. 101002 1961 record and/or the sound files. The record transferred and owned by Berry Gordy and included on DFTMC, here it is, sorry I have had it a long time.
    Fills a gap. Since 2012

Attachment 20107
    Attachment 20108

The two sides on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnnxIpyeGIw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4zxpgg2Rc
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 12-06-2022 at 07:00 AM.

Views: 265
    Thanks very much, Graham. I had forgotten about it when I responded to this thread 10 years ago. But I'd seen that listing for it back in the late 60s. But I never found it in The Vaults. I've been waiting to hear these 2 cuts for almost 60 years. The A side is at least listenable, but VERY disappointing. And its flip is absolutely horrendous - one of the most irritating recordings I've ever heard. What a shame. I like The Two Friends' record on that label, very much. It's a nice find, nevertheless, for fans and historians of Motown.
    Last edited by robb_k; 12-06-2022 at 07:27 AM.

Thanks Robb, there are at least 3 copies on Discogs for sale around thirty pounds, Mr Manship a bit more, my copy was mint and never played. Many years back it was around £100 a copy if you could find one, I was fortunate as nobody knew anything about the record back then and it cost me 3.99 plus postage.
    I also have a copy of the other Message 45 "Sensational Saints of Ohio" if you need the sound files let me know for either.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Thanks Robb, there are at least 3 copies on Discogs for sale around thirty pounds, Mr Manship a bit more, my copy was mint and never played. Many years back it was around £100 a copy if you could find one, I was fortunate as nobody knew anything about the record back then and it cost me 3.99 plus postage.
    I also have a copy of the other Message 45 "Sensational Saints of Ohio" if you need the sound files let me know for either.
    Yes, I would like to hear The Sensational Saints cuts. Thanks for the offer.

Robb, i'll send you the sound files separately. Here's the two sides for anyone else who are interested.