[REMOVE ADS]

For those in UK - BBC TV documentary on falsetto singers tonight [[10th July)

If you're UK based, it might be worth catching tonight's 'Imagine' documentary on BBC 1 at 10.35. This week it features the qualities, art and background of falsetto singing, with contributors including Philip Bailey, Eddie Holman and Frankie Valli. There are references to the Beach Boys, the Bee Gees [[and I would also hope the Stylistics!) as well as other falsetto performances from the likes of Queen to choral singers. I see in the Mail On Sunday preview it quotes Eddie Holman as saying "I am one of the greatest singers of all time."!

Alan Yentob goes soaring into the upper register for a look at falsetto singing from Purcell to the Stylistics. One blast of Hey There Lonely Girl or Brian Wilson’s voice topping California Girls and we don’t need any persuading of the gorgeousness that men singing really, really high brought to pop. And as classical counter-tenor Iestyn Davies points out, “It sounds like a tightrope act.” Listen out for the scene where Yentob tries it himself.
    ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME

Alan Yentob explores the appeal of falsetto singing, the high-pitched vocal style used by some male performers to reach notes higher than their normal range. A defining feature of vintage recordings by everyone from the Beach Boys and Bee Gees to Queen and Jeff Buckley, it arguably expresses emotions that otherwise cannot be conveyed. Among those appearing are Frankie Valli, Brian May, Philip Bailey and Harrow School Chapel Choir.

honest man Guest
    Will stay up to watch[no work tomorrow]maybe some good clips,thanks for the nod, cheers.

http://danielssings.com/bio.html

From the classical perspective. You can also youtube him.

No mention of Lou Christie. :-[[

No, but more importantly there was a great section that featured the Violinaires ... great gospel indeed.

An interesting and generally enjoyable programme.

I missed the first four or five minutes but caught the rest. It was interesting to see how the vocal cords change their shape according to whether the singer is using falsetto or not.

I was disappointed, however, that the programme suggested that it was the 70s Philly scene that popularised soul ballads with falsetto leads. It seems that Eddie Kendricks of the Temptations was completely forgotten.

On the way to work this morning I just happened to be listening to "Sky's The Limit" by The Temptations, and this kicks off with two Eddie-led tracks, including the classic "Just My Imagination", proving just how remiss this programme was.

It was great, however, to see Russell Thompkins Jr and Philip Bailey being interviewed about their vocal styles.

Hmmm! I wonder if Philip Bailey would ever consider joining The Temptations.

The bit of the show you missed was all Eddie Holman [["Hey There Lonely Girl", etc).
    He came over well as a singer but not so well in the 'modesty stakes'.

Indeed he came over as very arrogant didn't he? Seemed to be peeved at groups like the Stylistics being given credit fgor 'inventing' Philly Soul, when of course he has been around a lot longer. Can't believe there was no mention of the Delfonics and others ....no mention of Eddie Kendricks or Smokey!
    Best bit for me was the brief clip of Ruby & Romantics

I think Smokey isn't strictly a falsetto singer, Snake. He's singing in his natural range.

I caught enough of Eddie Holman to get where he was coming from.

Also, William Hart, lead singer of the Delfonics went out of his way to say that he sang in his natural range, which I think is partially true. Listening to "La-La [[Means I Love You)", he slips in and out of falsetto with ease.

I think Eddie Holman is a tenor with different registers but mainly known for his "high falsetto" in the most famous songs [["This Can't Be True", "Youn Girl In Your Life",...). From the time I purchased the "This Will Be A Night To Remember" Salsoul album on, I discovered his more rich register as in the gem "[[Where Have You Been) All My Life". As in the case of Little Anthony or, in some way Bunny Sigler.

Whit the time I have learn to appreciate some like "break" falsetto voices as the one of Eddie Kendricks or more recently, discovering the breack high notes on Soft Touch's "Look Up, Look Down".

Finally, I don't knows if really the prototype of vocal group leaded by a falsetto note was "born" in the Philly area or not, but there was where flourised most of this type of groups and in some sense they made the "Philly trademark" [[Kaleidoscope, Philly Devotions, Blue Magic, Stylistics) and some "secondary" members as Lloyd Parks from Blue Notes, Ron Tyson from Love Committee or the high tenor of The Futures.