[REMOVE ADS]

Edwin Starr - Agent Double O soul

Thanks for sharing! I've always loved this song, but it sounds like it was poorly mixed with everything on one channel and the fingersnaps on the other. It could use a good remix with everything evenly balanced.

honest man Guest
    [/url]WOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE,,Excellent find,thanks for the link,i met Edwin about 20 years ago [a gentleman]he was guesting at a pub by me he sat with the locals waiting to do his stint,brilliant clip,i love SDF for the likes,hope we get a lost and found by him someday soon, cheers .

Say No More!!! [/QUOTE]

Played at Yesterday's Twisted Wheel Sunday Session......brought so many memories of visiting the Wheel when I was 15/16....just before it shut. Records like this , and "Backstreet" were anthems.....it was a whole new world where 100s of like minded souls were into this "rare" soul scene. I was so lucky to live local...but it shut after a year of my visits.
    The revived club seems likely to be demolished soon , for another hotel that nobody seems to want!
    PS actually 'shared' a toilet visit with Edwin at a club in Chorlton, Manchester, discussing Ric Tic while we did our 'duty'...happy days

honest man Guest
    Snake , would love to have done Twisted Wheel in it;s prime, have done a few Sunday sessions though, enjoyed it, some brilliant acts appeared in it;s heyday, you are one lucky man, cheers.

Yes I do appreciate the few visits I made, but frustrated that I missed out on previous years but as I say I was 15/16...lucky to be there at all. My local disco clearly had Wheel influences, as the varied playlist included many 'rare/Northern' sounds...but I was a bit green in those days.....I was listening to sounds that , in hindsight, were massive Wheel sounds, and the penny dropped when I went there.

Well found Snakepit. Wonderful

honest man Guest
    Yes ,,great memories of my youth club days used to go every Mon to FRI,on Thursdays we used to have Northern djs play from all over North West ,Wigan Manchester etc,they would do the dancing and the music,i was into Soul-Northern way back then,would play the likes of DRATS going down for third time-Showstoppers etc,one dj even played tracks from MOTOWN STORY With narration around 70-71,wonderful times, cheers, going to watch Edwin clip again,love it, thanks.

What a find!!! ...

Love watching the man [[dancer) at the end who does a spin and the splits .. could he be the original "Northern Soul" dancer ...

Roger

Thinking about the Wheel visits........I'm sure it was the appearance of Edwin Starr that prompted me and my best mate to 'take the plunge' as it were. My mate had left school a year before me, and knew work colleagues who went to the Wheel and that's how we learnt about the sounds. He worked right opposite Ralph's records and brought home an exoctic USA import every payday...I was very envious. This post has reminded that my Dad knew a junior work colleague who was NOT the kind of person to shed a good light on the Wheel [[I guess you know what I'm refering to?). The 'live' appearance gave me the opportunity to show that the other 'attractions' were not what I was after.
    I saw Junior Walker too.........

OK....Had to post the link to "Backstreet".............This was written with the Wheel in mind...at least that's how I saw it back then. Wonderful times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt72MS3Ccuc

I started going to the Wheel in 1967, it was the live acts that attracted me to cross 'the hills' back then.
    It was about the 3rd or 4th allniter club I attended & was never my 'fave one' but the place, crowd, music & live acts were just great back then.

Dancer

Roger

I wondered if the dancer at the end of the clip was English.

i saw Edwin at the Golden Torch in 68.....he put on a great show....place was packed to the rafters...one abiding memory was when he got members of the audience up on stage...to teach them some dance moves...the Shotgun...the Boston Monkey..the Boogaloo etc..a true showman and a great vocalist.....happy days

So nice, had to play that one twice!