[REMOVE ADS]

1965 roulette records lp with motown/golden world tracks how did they get them?

i've just remembered this lp and although i didnt know at the time, it set me on the motown road!
    none of the motown tracks are in dftmc files so i thought i'd post it incase anyone who collects all things motown can go looking!
    this was my first record with motown tracks.i was given this lp by a neighbour when i was about 10/11.
    there are some motown and golden world tracks on here.although i didnt know who marvin gaye was.i wore those tracks out,i loved them!
    i didnt know that motown leased out tracks to other companies.roulette records was apparently a mafia company or backed by the mafia.was berry leaned on? give us the tracks or get a horse's head?

SR-25293 - 20 Original Winners of 1964 - Various Artists [1965] roulette records
    Under The Boardwalk - Drifters
    You're A Wonderful One - Marvin Gaye
    My Boy Lollipop - Millie Small
    Quicksand - Martha & Vandellas
    Mixed Up Shook Up Girl - Patty & Emblems
    I Stand Accused - Jerry Butler
    Puppy Love - Barbara Lewis
    [[Just Like) Romeo & Juliet - Reflections
    My Guy - Mary Wells
    California Sun - Rivieras
    You've Really Got A Hold On Me - Miracles
    The Shoop Shoop Song [[It's In His Kiss) - Betty Everett
    Just Be True - Gene Chandler
    Leader Of The Laundromat - Detergents
    I Want You To Be My Boy - Exciters
    C'Mon And Swim - Bobby Freeman
    Sand In My Shoes - Drifters
    Have I The Right - Honeycombs
    Steal Away - Jimmy Hughes
    What A Guy - Raindrops

It was extremely rare that Motown leased tracks to others. Something could have been up that dictated a cash infusion. Here is a scan of the LP cover. I'm surprised that You've Really Got a Hold On Me appeared in a 1964 collection.Name:  Roulette.JPG
Views: 1306
Size:  35.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    It was extremely rare that Motown leased tracks to others. Something could have been up that dictated a cash infusion. Here is a scan of the LP cover. I'm surprised that You've Really Got a Hold On Me appeared in a 1964 collection.Name:  Roulette.JPG
Views: 1306
Size:  35.9 KB
    A small piece of the puzzle, but not all. George and Sam Goldner were first cousins, their fathers having been brothers. Together they started a huge dynasty of record labels which were very successful, but not as much as Motown. Mark-X was one of their early labels. M-7006 was the legendary song Dead Wrong b/w Ooh Shucks by the Five Stars [[written by B. Gordy and T. Carlo). End Records was one of their later labels. End 1016 was Got a Job b/w My Mama Done Told Me. End 1029 was Money b/w I Cry. End 1084 was repeated as Money b/w I Cry. All 3 were by the Miracles. I recall reading somewhere that Berry also wrote a song or two for Malcolm Dodd and the Tunedrops. The Five Stars also had another 45 End 1028 Baby Baby b/w Blabber Mouth. I suspect that Berry may have written this for the Five Stars but I do not have a copy in my collection like the earlier one.

As you can readily see, Berry had the inside track with the Goldners because of the Miracles and Five Stars releases. That could be part of the reason these were released on the referenced album.

wish i'd kept the lp.havent a clue what happened to it.i think the neighbour got it from a pan-am plane,it being left on a flight.his job was loading up the in flight movies for the airline.he used to bring back the latest films. all the nieghbours used to go 'round there to watch them.big projectors and screen i their front room
    that track leader of the laundromat was a spoof on the shangralas leader of the pack.so funny.
    it made kenny everetts' world's worst records show on london's capital radio show 1976.

thanks for the cover pic btw great to see it again!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  21.1 KB
    Berry DID also write and produce the 2 songs that The Five Stars recorded for Goldner that were released on End. He also leased David Ruffin's 2 1958 cuts to Goldner's Vega Records [[while David was working for Anna Records [[which was distributed by George Goldner's End/Gone Records. So, there was a strong Gordy family connection with The Goldners. Roulette was heavily into "Oldies" album series, and so, Motown was willing to lease out songs to be added to Roulette's Oldies album series, and make more money.

I thought many years prior to the success of Motown and for that matter, Berry Gordy, George Goldner had given
    Berry one hundred dollars as a down payment if they should ever work together. I believe this story is in Berry's
    book, To Be Loved.
    I do remember the above lp, as we had it. I also remember noting that some of the songs, such as the Miracles,
    were not from '64.