[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Billboard's Top 50 stars from the 50 States

I was cool until my home state [[Ohio) came up. Chrissy Hynde instead of the O'Jays? No props to Billboard on that one and a few others [[Jermaine Dupri over REM in North Carolina? Really?).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I was cool until my home state [[Ohio) came up. Chrissy Hynde instead of the O'Jays? No props to Billboard on that one and a few others [[Jermaine Dupri over REM in North Carolina? Really?).
    Yeah, they missed TONS of artists from all of the states.

Here's a few from my state of Arizona. Not much in the way of soul, but, oh well:

Linda Ronstadt
    Dyke & The Blazers
    Stevie Nicks
    Rex Allen
    Michelle Branch
    Glen Campbell
    Alice Cooper
    Duane Eddy
    The Gin Blossoms
    Waylon Jennings
    The Meat Puppets
    Charles Mingus
    Mister Mister
    Wayne Newton
    Buck Owens
    CeCe Peniston
    Marty Robbins
    The Tubes
    Tanya Tucker

I was thinking there had to be objective reasons for their choices since the list was put together by Billboard [[record sales, concert revenue, etc.), but I'm convinced that this is another person's opinion based mostly on his preference. At least this one gets beyond alt-rock for most of its choices.

This list is a bit tough if you hail from Washington D.C. I would think!!

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I was thinking there had to be objective reasons for their choices since the list was put together by Billboard [[record sales, concert revenue, etc.), but I'm convinced that this is another person's opinion based mostly on his preference. At least this one gets beyond alt-rock for most of its choices.
    It was fairly objective. But, they did tend to pick artists that would be more known to the younger generations. Let's face it: probably of us here are in our 40s or older. The U.S. market and media does not really cater to us. They are still chasing the younger set that doesn't much care about history beyond their existence, and doesn't really buy anything.

smark21 Guest
    Then again Lawrence Welk is representing North Dakota, can't get more old school than that.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Then again Lawrence Welk is representing North Dakota, can't get more old school than that.
    Or older. I look at some of the reruns of "The Lawrence Welk Show" and ask myself what that rung of society must have been like from the inside. The musicians are truly great, the dancers do yeoman work, yet it's all so...

Boring.

I can imagine a bunch of gray haired sisters who benefited from Daddy's fortune sitting back and patting their feet and thinking to themselves "This show is truly off the chain, boy!!!!!" But I fail to appreciate the output as much as I appreciate the effort it took to create it. I'm a bad person in that regard, I guess.