[REMOVE ADS]

"But I Love You More" The Supremes

This song i believe the flip side of "Everybody's Got the Right to Love" is a beautiful ballad, probably one of the best Jean Terrell led ballads in the Supremes catalog. I often wondered why no ballads except "Touch" were ever released on the Supremes, both Jean and Diana had very good ballad singing voices. Diana: "He Holds His Own" "Remove This Doubt" "Always in My Heart" "I'm in Love Again. Jean "Is Their A Place In his Heart" "Then I Met YOu" "Paradise" and "Beyond Myself"
    Last edited by franjoy56; 06-27-2012 at 01:08 AM.

smark21 Guest
    One ballad was released as an A side: I Guess I'll Miss the Man.

"I Hear A Symphony"?

I have to agree with you Franjoy56. Jean Terrell was such an amazing singer! Her performance on "But I Love You More" is flawless! Also "This Is The Story." Wow. That woman could sing! And, I've never hear a recorded performance that captured the power and clarity...the soul and depth I experienced every time I heard her live. When she did her solos [[People, He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother, The Look of Love, You've Got a Friend) people would spontaneously jump up and start screaming and appluding. It never failed. Her voice was spine chilling when she let go!
    Last edited by jeff9nyc; 06-27-2012 at 11:14 AM.

"5:30 Plane" should have been released from the Jimmy Webb LP instead of that totally dead "Guess I'll Miss the Man." It had a verse but no chorus, completely downbeat arrangement. It was completely inexplicable why anyone would select this as a single. It was filler on a LP which it didn't even belong to!

It's my understanding that "I Guess I"ll Miss the Man" was chosen as a single to promote the Motown-owned Broadway show it was from, PIPPIN. I agree that "5:30 Plane" would have been a much better choice...

Well Pippin was a hot show so Motown was plucking things from it for its acts. Corner Of The Sky did decently for the J5 on the charts and Diana added it to her stage act. The Supremes just wound up with one of the lesser songs from the score is all. Downbeat songs were doing okay on the charts at the time for other acts [[e.g. Carly Simon's "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be") so I think it was just down to lack of promotion and being such a stark left turn from the upbeat material that had proceeded it that made radio resist it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Well Pippin was a hot show so Motown was plucking things from it for its acts. Corner Of The Sky did decently for the J5 on the charts and Diana added it to her stage act. The Supremes just wound up with one of the lesser songs from the score is all. Downbeat songs were doing okay on the charts at the time for other acts [[e.g. Carly Simon's "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be") so I think it was just down to lack of promotion and being such a stark left turn from the upbeat material that had proceeded it that made radio resist it.

The funny thing about I Guess I'll Miss The Man is that the lyrics as sung by the Supremes are not the lyrics sung in the show. In the show the song is a ballad but also has some humor in it that keeps it from becoming a little bland. The Supremes version did not have that. Still, I would have preferred the single be the version sung on Soul Train with a little more soulful lead from Jean and exceptional background harmonies by Mary and Lynda.

I have always liked But I Love You More,it should have been a single,yes Jean sounds great,love Mary and Cindy in the background.
    Please stay positive

I dont why everyone thinks 5:30 plane should have been the single. I guess it had hit potential I DO like it but I think But I Love you More would have lit up the charts especially during this singer songwriter era when Carly Simon, James Taylor and Elton John were hot.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    This song i believe the flip side of "Everybody's Got the Right to Love" is a beautiful ballad, probably one of the best Jean Terrell led ballads in the Supremes catalog. I often wondered why no ballads except "Touch" were ever released on the Supremes, both Jean and Diana had very good ballad singing voices. Diana: "He Holds His Own" "Remove This Doubt" "Always in My Heart" "I'm in Love Again. Jean "Is Their A Place In his Heart" "Then I Met YOu" "Paradise" and "Beyond Myself"
    That was a great record.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    One ballad was released as an A side: I Guess I'll Miss the Man.

I did not like IGIMTM, i could not even think of it when i named the ballads, it was not a good reord for Motown to release.

"But I Love You More" and "You Move Me" should and would have been a great followup to "Up The Ladder To The Roof".

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    It's my understanding that "I Guess I"ll Miss the Man" was chosen as a single to promote the Motown-owned Broadway show it was from, PIPPIN. I agree that "5:30 Plane" would have been a much better choice...
    Amen! This was a choice driven by money. Motown owned publishing to "I Guess I'll Miss the Man." I LOVED it sung live with harmony by Mary and Lynda, but "5:30 Plane" would have been a great single for the time.

smark21 Guest
    The soul train version of I Guess I’ll Miss the Man is one of the best television performances by The Supremes, regardless of lineup.

Another great Jean led ballad is “And I Thought You Loved Me”.

530 plane was the right song off that album.

Wait One Minute Before You Leave Me was another single off another album; better than Everybodys Got the Right to Love.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Another great Jean led ballad is “And I Thought You Loved Me”.
    I was floored by And I Thought You Loved Me when I heard that track. I can't believe it was never placed on an album.

Am I the only one who like, "Everybody's Got The Right To Love?" I loved it from the first time I heard it on the album. I do like the heavier rhythm track on the Greatest Hits and Rarities disc...but the tighter vocals on Right On.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    Am I the only one who like, "Everybody's Got The Right To Love?" I loved it from the first time I heard it on the album. I do like the heavier rhythm track on the Greatest Hits and Rarities disc...but the tighter vocals on Right On.
    No. I've always liked the song, and never knew why it wasn't a favorite of others.

I like it too, though think it was too MOR for most Supremes fans. To me, it evokes Dean Martin's "Everybody Loves Somebody" in its message and arrangement. Would have been a great Copa tune.

I like the song but the released version and the album version sounded very contained to me. I absolutely LOVE the Greatest Hits & Rarities version with the more soulful vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I was floored by And I Thought You Loved Me when I heard that track. I can't believe it was never placed on an album.
    It's a great track, and by far the best version of the song. Marbaya's version on Motown is still very good though, but Thelma Houston's is disappointing.

there were much better choices for a second single than the flaccid "Everybody's Got The Right To Love"; even Frank Wilson says he doesn't like the mix in the "This is the story" box set..

"Everybody's Got The Right to Love" is too light and fluffy for me, but it's saved by Jean's voice which gives it some gravitas. I don't think the tune is particularly strong. I much prefer the dramatic "But I Love You More", but I don't think it was as commercial as the a-side.

EGTRTL is just run of the mill, adult contemporary fluff ~ they are lucky it did as well as it did. There are much better songs on that album ~ Then I Met You and But I Love You More and The Loving Country and Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me - but none of the first 3 of those songs is a single.

If I had to choose another single from "Right On" I would have chosen, "Then We Can Try Again."

"Everybody's Got..." would not have been my follow-up choice either. I would not, however, have chosen any song without Mary and Cindy on it. Not a good way to start off the new group's career.
    Come to think of it, why didn't Frank Wilson erase the Andantes off of all the songs they were on and let the Supremes do the backgrounds?

Ive wondered that too mowest and Frank has stated how much he wanted Mary and Cindy to be heard. I remember being dumfounded at the time that EGTRTL--it was a B side at best. Im not trying to start a war but they beat Diana out of the gate and EGTRTL slowed them down. I think its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    "Everybody's Got..." would not have been my follow-up choice either. I would not, however, have chosen any song without Mary and Cindy on it. Not a good way to start off the new group's career.
    Come to think of it, why didn't Frank Wilson erase the Andantes off of all the songs they were on and let the Supremes do the backgrounds?
    Frank Wilson only produced four songs on that first album, on which I think Mary and Cindy can be heard. Most likely, he couldn't and wouldn't manipulate the tracks done by other producers.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Frank Wilson only produced four songs on that first album, on which I think Mary and Cindy can be heard. Most likely, he couldn't and wouldn't manipulate the tracks done by other producers.
    I'm sure you're right, reese. I just think that the album would have been much stronger had it been Jean, Mary and Cindy on all of the songs. A missed opportunity.

Very true-the Mary-Cindy vocals pure and distinctive!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Very true-the Mary-Cindy vocals pure and distinctive!
    They must have realized that too many A's were on that Right on LP, but the lesson was corrected with New Ways but love stays, i do not hear any Andantes on that album thankfully. but the sound had changed altogether and Motown didn't respond with a quick followup to Stoned Love, ie Together we can make such sweet music a hit if I ever heard one.

They must have realized that too many A's were on that Right on LP, but the lesson was corrected with New Ways but love stays, i do not hear any Andantes on that album thankfully. but the sound had changed altogether and Motown didn't respond with a quick followup to Stoned Love, ie Together we can make such sweet music a hit if I ever heard one.
    With Frank Wilson as the sole producer of the "New Ways" album, it was Jean, Mary and Cindy all the way. You're right, franjoy, "Together We Can Make..." would have been a fine follow up to "Stoned Love." Same with "Shine On Me."

Especially considering that Motown thought enough of the song to put it on both "New Ways" as well as "The Magnificent 7". It definitely would have been a great follow up to "Stoned Love," with the same kind of etheral lyrics and beautiful dense production.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    With Frank Wilson as the sole producer of the "New Ways" album, it was Jean, Mary and Cindy all the way. You're right, franjoy, "Together We Can Make..." would have been a fine follow up to "Stoned Love." Same with "Shine On Me."
    i agree 100%!

I think the Right Onalbum is a gem. In addition to Up the Ladder to the Roofmy personal favorites are Then We Can Try Again; Wait a Minute Before You Leave Me [[the harmony is heavenly, and Jean wails and nails it); Take a Closer Look at Me; and Bill, When are You Coming Back. The album has incredible energy and you can hear [[once again) all three voices. It was a breath of fresh air after the last few DR & The Supremes albums. I think it has held up well – it does not seem dated or out of style today.

Another post-DR favorite that filled me with awe the first time I heard it [[and it still does): Love It Came To Me This Time.

Miss Terrell sure could sing!

The Supremes also opened their show [[M/S/S) with 'Everybody Gets To Go To The Moon/Corner Of The Sky and they sang it at Mary's farewell performance on 12 Jun 1977.

I always thought EGTRTL was released because it was in the same vein as Reach Out And Touch. I didn't dislike the song but would have much preferred the one George managed to release on Greatest Hits and rare Classics. That should have been the released vocal. It was more in keeping with the Up The Ladder sound for Jean.