[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Diana Ross Good Oe' Days Medley

RossHolloway Guest
    Thanks for posting the clip, I had never seen that before.

This was from the old series "The Midnight Special." I had the good fortune to attend the taping as a buddy's girlfriend worked for NBC and she got us in for the taping.

Is that the Jones Girls doing background....or did they come later?

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Is that the Jones Girls doing background....or did they come later?
    Yes it's the Jones Girls

Then they were in the Wiz, singing with Nipsey Russell. Those are the same 3 faces. I had asked the forum this question a while back. Looks like I got the answer.

I never realized that was them in The Wiz!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    This was from the old series "The Midnight Special." I had the good fortune to attend the taping as a buddy's girlfriend worked for NBC and she got us in for the taping.

How cool! what was it like? any stories??

As you can on the clip the audience sat on the floor. I recall before the taping began Diana and Berry came out via a side door and looked over the crowd and she asked if anyone had a shot of bourbon? We all laughed. She also said that she needed a sitter for her children.

Fast forward to the taping. What was interesting to me was when I saw the show when it was televised the "magic" of film came to life. What I mean is that we all saw her straight on but the show itself when presented on television was a wonder. She sang "One Love in my Lifetime" and the camera shots were fantastic hence my nod to the magic of film. She also sang "Love Hangover" and invited audience members to the stage and it was a lot of fun. I wish now that I wasn't so shy as that opportunity came once and I didn't take advantage of it.

She had to begin the Motown medley once or twice but then it flowed just like you see in the clip.

I had never seen her in person before that night and was truly amazed, not only by her performance, but by how tiny she was in person. When seeing The Supremes on television as a youngster they all seemed so tall.

Did we hear Diana say she went to Gary, Indiana and discovered the Jackson 5. I thought that Gladys Knight or Bobby Taylor brought them to Motown? Anyone know for sure?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Did we hear Diana say she went to Gary, Indiana and discovered the Jackson 5. I thought that Gladys Knight or Bobby Taylor brought them to Motown? Anyone know for sure?
    Thanks
    Ms. Gladys Knight discovered the Jackson first but Berry turned them down. Then Bobby Taylor brought them up to Berry again and then Mr. Taylor and brought the Jackson 5 to Detroit and Suzanne De Passe convinced Berry to sign them. Diane Ross was also pushing for them and Diane first presented them on TV so it's really a combination of Gladys, Bobby Taylor, Diane Ross and Suzanne De Passe who are responsible for their success at Motown Records.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Ms. Gladys Knight discovered the Jackson first but Berry turned them down. Then Bobby Taylor brought them up to Berry again and then Mr. Taylor and brought the Jackson 5 to Detroit and Suzanne De Passe convinced Berry to sign them. Diane Ross was also pushing for them and Diane first presented them on TV so it's really a combination of Gladys, Bobby Taylor, Diane Ross and Suzanne De Passe who are responsible for their success at Motown Records.

Roberta
    From BILLBOARD 4 DAYS AGO:

From Usher to Bieber to Jepsen, an artist's influence can help other acts garner greater popularity. Stars throughout the rock era, in fact, have long used their high profiles to help sway public opinion favorably toward developing acts in which they believe.

Surely consumers trusted Diana Ross' taste when she introduced the Jackson 5** on Aug. 11, 1969, on the stage of California club The Daisy. With the quintet's debut album titled "Diana Ross Presents the Jackson 5," co-opting a name like Ross' - singer of 12 Hot 100 No. 1s between 1964 and 1969 with the Supremes - the new group wasn't quite so unfamiliar, after all.

"He won me over the first time I saw him," Ross told Newsweek of Michael Jackson**, as cited in former Chart Beat author Fred Bronson's invaluable "Billboard Book of Number One Hits." "I saw so much of myself as a child in Michael. He was performing all the time. That's the way I was.

"He could be my son."

In 1989, Garth Brooks** arrived with his first Billboard chart entry, as "Much Too Young [[to Feel This Damn Old)" climbed to No. 8 on Country Songs, marking his first of 36 top 10s on the tally. Thanks to a memorable lyric, the song also helped spur the recording career of a rodeo cowboy.

"A worn-out tape of Chris LeDoux, lonely women and bad booze seem to be the only friends I've left at all," Brooks sings in the song. At the time, country music fans might not have been too aware of LeDoux, as he'd placed just three titles on Country Songs in 1979-80. None rose higher than No. 96 on the then-100-position chart.

LeDoux was, however, successful in his other career, becoming a collegiate and professional rodeo champion. After retiring from competition in 1980, he released a series of country albums independently, but none charted on Country Albums.

Brooks' hit helped LeDoux lasso widespread country music success at last. Rodeo fan Brooks [[he even sent his single "Rodeo" to No. 3 on Country Songs in 1991) successfully pushed for his label, Capitol, to sign LeDoux. His first album under the deal, "Western Underground," spent 54 weeks on Country Albums, rising to No. 36. Follow-up "Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy" gave LeDoux his first [[and sole) Country Albums top 10 [[No. 9), while the title cut likewise opened the gates for him to the Country Songs top 10. Reaching No. 7 in 1992, the track features Brooks on backing vocals.

Brooks made one more very public ode to LeDoux following the latter's passing in 2004. His "Good Ride Cowboy" peaked at No. 3 on Country Songs in 2005. "I knew if I ever recorded any kind of tribute to Chris, it would have to be up-tempo, happy ... a song like him ... not some slow, mournful song. He wasn't like that," Brooks told CMT.

"Chris was exactly what our heroes are supposed to be. He was a man's man. A good friend."

More recently, acts have employed multiple media, a la Bieber, when hoping to help another artist gain wider exposure. In an interview last year on pop radio station WRVW Nashville, Taylor Swift** requested that the station play Nicki Minaj**'s "Super Bass." "I've been listening to it on repeat and I really freak my friends out because I can recite every single lyric to the rap," she boasted on-air [[before bowing to DJ pressure and rapping a verse of the song).