[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just about any songs recorded today is sad

P- shark.... I agree wholeheartedly.... Too sad!

So by WAR

Life Ain't So Easy by Undisputed Truth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdpQTst01bE

The Folks From Mother's Mixer -Black Merda
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1u0cCcBzL0

Why Have I Lost You by Cameo

Does Anybody Know I'm Here - Dells

So Very Hard To Go - Tower of Power

She's Gone Again - Ben E King

I'm Just A Loser - Johnny Bristol

The Right To Cry - Lenny Welch

David Ruffin Message from Maria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHW3LWiisWQ

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    Aretha Franklin - Good to Me As I Am To You
    Aretha Franklin - Call Me
    Aretha Franklin - Sit Down And Cry
    Aretha Franklin - I Wonder
    Aretha Franklin - Dark End Of The Street
    You mentioned five sad songs by Aretha Franklin and not ONE of them was "Angel"?! I also am a huge fan of Percy Sledge's version of "Dark End of the Street", which I find to be the definitive version of an excellent song.

And, I'm not sure if "Danny Boy" is a sad song or not, but I remember walking into a room to see my cousin Tony laughing his butt off one day back in the '80s. I asked what was so funny and he told me that someone caught our other cousin, Lloyd, crying after listening to Jackie Wilson's version of it. So, I have to list "Danny Boy" for cousin Lloyd.

Donny Hathaway: "Giving up" and "A song for You".

Love Don't Love Nobody- the Spinners
    What You Gave Me- Marvin & Tammi[[Val)/David Ruffin [[it's almost like they knew the end was near)
    The Circle Game- Nikki Yanofsky
    Touch Me in the Morning- Diana Ross
    If You Don't Believe- Deniece Williams

Eugene Record must of gone through some real hell to write all those sad songs.

This Is It - Kenny Loggins. Love Kirk Franklin's too, but I think that is one of the songs that no matter how or how many times covered, unless the coverer is living it - will not match the level of personal-ness of Loggins' original.

Manny and Tsull both proposed The Coldest Days Of My Life by the Chi-Lites.

Walter Jackson did an equally impressive version [[ or even more impressive in my humble...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dr91er32Sk

Irene Cara & Freddie Jackson - Love Survives

I had to mention "Cry For You" by Jodeci, the most underappreciated and [[in my mind) last true mainstream soul outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    Just about any songs recorded today is sad
    Good one Shark!

Some more sad songs [[with sad lyrics or not):

- "Sparkle" - Curtis Mayfield
    - "Homeless" - Curtis Mayfield
    - "What Color Is Love [[short version)" - Dee Dee Sharp
    - "Trade Winds" - Lou Rawls
    - "How Time Flyes" - O'Jays
    - "Half A Man" - Bunny Sigler
    - "Now Or Never" - Little Dooley
    - "Looking For A Friend" - Blue Magic
    - "Reach For The Moon [[Poor People)" - Angelo Bond [[most for the lyrics)
    - "She Knew About Me" - Shirley Jones
    - "The Moments Of Our Lives" - Billy Paul
    - "Billy's Back Home" - Billy Paul
    - "Gonna Be Strong" - Intruders
    - "Sad Sweet Dreamer" - Sweet Sensation
    - "Can't Hide Love" - Earth, Wind & Fire
    - "I'll Write A Song For You" - Earth, Wind & Fire
    - "La Vie en Rose" - Edith Piaff / Grace Jones
    - "Melancolie" - Roy Etzel
    - "Todo pasa, todo pasará" - Matt Monro
    - "No puedo quitar mis ojos de ti" - Matt Monro
    - "Nightfall" - Stratavarius
    - "Tubular Bells" [[Parts One & Two) - Mike Oldfield
    - "Ommadawn" [[Parts One & Two) - Mike Oldfield
    - "Stormy" - Classic IV feat. Dennis Yost

Forgot one which could make my list [[if not already mentioned)

Chasing Rainbows [[Blue Magic)

Not one of those syruppy kicked to the curb love songs that put already consumed food in my throat [[in reverse) instead of a good ol lump. You got dumped...Boo freakin Hoo. Get over it already!

I haven't looked through all the posts yet, but has anyone brought up John Morris' "Transylvanian Lullaby" yet? Could very well be the saddest song ever used in a comedic film. BTW, Happy 87th, Mel.

Smokey Robinson- She's Only A Baby Herself

The Four Tops- My Fatherless Son

Johnny Maestro and The Brooklyn Bridge- The Worst That Could Happen

Johnnie Taylor- Ease Back Out

T.L. Harris

Bobby "Blue" Bland Ask Me 'Bout Nothing But The Blues

Suppertime - Ethel Waters. This performance, on the Hollywood Palace hosted by Diana Ross, shows off Miss Waters' singing and acting skills.

It is about a wife's reaction to news of her husband's lynching. She has to prepare supper for her family
    after hearing the news. You can't help but be sad after watching this clip and knowing what she is singing
    about

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Suppertime - Ethel Waters. This performance, on the Hollywood Palace hosted by Diana Ross, shows off Miss Waters' singing and acting skills.

It is about a wife's reaction to news of her husband's lynching. She has to prepare supper for her family
    after hearing the news. You can't help but be sad after watching this clip and knowing what she is singing
    about

Now THAT'S fantastic [[in a very sad way). What an absolutely iconic performer Ethel Waters was...

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

about

wow...sad indeed

Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair - Nina Simone
    MacArthur Park - Richard Harris
    Lonely - Tom Waits
    Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell
    Requiem: 820 Latham - The 5th Dimension
    The Bells - Laura Nyro
    I'm Livin' In Shame - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    The Worst That Could Happen - The Brooklyn Bridge

"Poor Charlotte" - The Miracles. Love the theme / story of their "City of Angels" album, but man, all that building up, for a downer climax like THAT! But, yeah, dramatic climaxes are usually like that, tragic, unexpected and all, otherwise the entire album may be lessened in atmospheric, thematic total effect.

" I Should Be Proud" - Martha Reeves & the Vandellas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZCrJlZcsR4

Olivia Lost and Turned out.... The Whispers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljLWLwlyF_I

Garland Green He Just Kept On Talking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLDnps_Myg

Dee Dee Warwick She Kept On Talking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEMDsvTz8hU

RossHolloway Guest
    Lou Rawls - If I Were A Magician

O.C. SMITH Hickory Holler Revisited 1968

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Some more sad songs [[with sad lyrics or not):

- "Sparkle" - Curtis Mayfield
    - "Homeless" - Curtis Mayfield
    - "What Color Is Love [[short version)" - Dee Dee Sharp
    - "Trade Winds" - Lou Rawls
    - "How Time Flyes" - O'Jays
    - "Half A Man" - Bunny Sigler
    - "Now Or Never" - Little Dooley
    - "Looking For A Friend" - Blue Magic
    - "Reach For The Moon [[Poor People)" - Angelo Bond [[most for the lyrics)
    - "She Knew About Me" - Shirley Jones
    - "The Moments Of Our Lives" - Billy Paul
    - "Billy's Back Home" - Billy Paul
    - "Gonna Be Strong" - Intruders
    - "Sad Sweet Dreamer" - Sweet Sensation
    - "Can't Hide Love" - Earth, Wind & Fire
    - "I'll Write A Song For You" - Earth, Wind & Fire
    - "La Vie en Rose" - Edith Piaff / Grace Jones
    - "Melancolie" - Roy Etzel
    - "Todo pasa, todo pasará" - Matt Monro
    - "No puedo quitar mis ojos de ti" - Matt Monro
    - "Nightfall" - Stratavarius
    - "Tubular Bells" [[Parts One & Two) - Mike Oldfield
    - "Ommadawn" [[Parts One & Two) - Mike Oldfield
    - "Stormy" - Classic IV feat. Dennis Yost
    Very nice list, especially "Sad Sweet Dreamer" - Sweet Sensation and
    "Reach For The Moon [[Poor People)" - Angelo Bond
    Great songs and very memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Very nice list, especially "Sad Sweet Dreamer" - Sweet Sensation and
    "Reach For The Moon [[Poor People)" - Angelo Bond
    Great songs and very memorable.
    Thanks, Marv2
    I discovered "Sad Sweet Dreamer" much after I acquired my Sweet sensation's 45's "Mr. Cool" and "Mail Train", both disco-pop flavored... but the title track of the album as also the cover art are totally poetry [[the clown with sad face!). About Angelo Bond, the whole "Bondage" album is full of dramatic songs as the one that starts side A "Goodbye My Love", with his special falsetto voice.

In recent days I have "explored" my "Ultra Mellow Discography" and found some ones I can't explain how forget to mention:
    - Joana Gardner - "Pick Up The Pieces"
    - Carmen Lundy - "You're Not In Love"
    - People's Choice - "Don't Send My Away" 8perhaps the definitive sad song in the entire G&H songbook!)
    - AND THE ONE THAT MADE ME FEEL LIKE CRYING LIKE NO ONE OTHER, THE GREAT SAD SONG, LEON WARE'S MASTERPIECE, LADIES & GENTLEMEN: "THANK YOU EARLY BIRD" by Jerry Butler [[from "Love's On The Menu" Motown LP, 1977).

Cheers to all

"Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" - Cher

"Cosmic Slop", "March to the Witch's Castle" and "No Head....No Backstage Pass" - Funkadelic

"Timothy" - The Buoys - written by Rupert Holmes.

"Sitting In the Jailhouse" - Johnny Winter [[my man Robert Ross)

"Dude Looks Like a Lady" - Aerosmith

"Almost Blue" - Elvis Costello - A musician friend of mine asked me to turn off this song when it came on in my car......because it was depressing him....and he's a longtime heroin user.

I also like Costello's versions of "He's Got You" and "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down"....both would feel at home here.

"Dark Was The Night.....Cold Was The Ground" - Blind Willie Johnson - Instrumental Sadness

"Leave Your Love in Greater Hands" - J.B Hutto

"Married Woman Blues" - One of my fave old time Memphis Blues pieces:

"The woman I love is six feet in the ground"
    "The one I love, is six feet in the ground"
    "The woman I can't stand...she's always around."

Manny....2 words.....cin co.
    Hope all is well with you

Hi again, Destruction!

Hope all is well with you also! And keep on enjoy the birds observation! Yesterday, runnig with my cycle I saw three Bonelli's eagles [[Hieraëtus fasciatus), a little eagle that only can see in the mediterranean coast of the Iberian peninsula and every day most difficult to see...
    Every time I heard Jimmy Castor [[don't ask me the reason why) I keep on thinking on you. It's a matter between two "cave men" )

I have mentioned "Woman Of Ireland" by Bob James but another cover, by The Christians it's also very mellow and i liked a lot during the 80's. And today, herding my copy of "The Best Of Michael Henderson" CD, also recall how mellow sounds "At The Midnight Time"...
    Last edited by manny; 07-05-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: ortography

Gotta admit Manny......ain't too many folks can send me running to the thesaurus before I can respond to a post here.

I thought ortography meant the scientific study of the yard bird.

Congrats on your eagle.....I haven't seen a decent predator since the Peregrine falcon I saw during the blizzard last year.

As for the Jimmy Castor reference.....It's the pants. And speaking of outfits.....have you picked up any new "Indoor" ensembles that don't require a waiver from the International Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Epileptics?

My sad song of the day.....for you.....is Lagrima [[can't do the accent thing) - one the guys in my school carpool played it for me. He's more of a classcial guitarist.....but his dad plays flameco professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Thanks, Marv2
    I discovered "Sad Sweet Dreamer" much after I acquired my Sweet sensation's 45's "Mr. Cool" and "Mail Train", both disco-pop flavored... but the title track of the album as also the cover art are totally poetry [[the clown with sad face!). About Angelo Bond, the whole "Bondage" album is full of dramatic songs as the one that starts side A "Goodbye My Love", with his special falsetto voice.

In recent days I have "explored" my "Ultra Mellow Discography" and found some ones I can't explain how forget to mention:
    - Joana Gardner - "Pick Up The Pieces"
    - Carmen Lundy - "You're Not In Love"
    - People's Choice - "Don't Send My Away" 8perhaps the definitive sad song in the entire G&H songbook!)
    - AND THE ONE THAT MADE ME FEEL LIKE CRYING LIKE NO ONE OTHER, THE GREAT SAD SONG, LEON WARE'S MASTERPIECE, LADIES & GENTLEMEN: "THANK YOU EARLY BIRD" by Jerry Butler [[from "Love's On The Menu" Motown LP, 1977).

Cheers to all
    I remember both of those song distinctively. Both came out my freshman year in High School. "Sad Sweet Dreamer" didn't really start to get airplay here until early 1975 when CKLW would play it. "Reach For the Moon" by Angelo Bond was a local Detroit hit that got played often also during that time in 1975 on WGPR and other stations. Angelo Bond is a great songwriter. I have two of his 70's albums. He has also recently written a couple of the songs on Mary Wilson's new CD, "Life's Been Good to Me".

Sisters Love - Are You Lonely?

This song is really sad I have say, listen closely at the very end at 3:02 and you'll hear Vermettya sing "And you’re so sad, sad, sad, oh I wanna commit suicide.”

For Manny from my Philly Connection:

Ship Ahoy - O'Jays

Hi, Marv2,
    I "blame it" on a spanish Mediterráneo ABC licensed LP compilation entitled "Soul Food / Soul a la carta" that was "seminal" for me in 1976 year. Authentic gems as Clarence carter's "Warning" or Clarence Cater's produced "Fighting To Keep my Head Above Water" by Mayfield-influenced Frankie Redmond; Billy Davis, Jr. cover of The Reflection's "Three Steps From True Love"; Mighty Clouds Of Joy's "Time; Dramatic's "You're Fooling You"; Sylivia Smith's "Original Midnight Mama", the Angelo track... buuuufff! What a good collection. Little after I was fooling myself searching [[and some things founding!) as the Angelo LP [[the first time I read the Shirley Jones name, in the credits and I think she is the lady pictured in the back cover...?); I found "Drama V" and "The Dells Vs. The Dramatics"; "Kickin'" and "Truth Is The Power" by MCOJ,... 1976 was a great year in SOUL MUSIC [[and some criticals says "the LAST year...").

Hi, Destruction... I have the "privilege" that two little falcons have their home in the Sant Joan Baptista Arxiprestal Church, very next to my home. They are two Falco tinnunculus [["Krestel") and I see every day jointly with some nigth - raptors [[little owls).

Thanks for reminding me on "Ship Ahoy". More than a "sad song" I found it like a "dramatic song", as the other gem in the same album "Don't Call me Brother" that IMHO got a "bitter-sweet" flavor [[not really "sad") and is my absolute O'Jays fave from their PIR collection... Those things are so subjective! On the same PIR catalogue I found very sad some songs and / or some parts [[intros, end parts) as the spanish guitar intro on MFSB "Smile Happy", Bunny Sigler's "Keep Smiling" or The O'Jays cover of "Feelings" [[from the underrated "Travelin' At The Speed Of Tought" album). If you likes spanish guitar, Paco de Lucia is the definitive master [[he was nominated Doctor Honoris cause jointly with Gamble-Huff in a US university recently and have been collaborated with Chick Corea) and for flamenco deep feeling, the late Camaron de la Isla is the epitome of the genre. Another sad song, IMHO, is [[really a part of the song) "Another World" by Elliot Hoffman, the spanish guitar part.

And "the sad song of the day", "Oh Lord, Why Lord" by Los Pop Tops con Phil Trim and also the Brook benton cover.

Cheers to all
    [[some times i'm so radical that i think "the music that don't made cry, is not music"...)

I agree with skooldem1 and timmyfunk. Also "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" by the Bee Gees and "I Wish It Would Rain" by the Temptations.

"The Long and Winding Road" - The Beatles

Played this yesterday:

Ballad of the Sad Young Men - Roberta Flack

"Memories" The Tamptations "The Love We Had" The Dells " Mary Ann" The Temptations " The Man With The Child In His Eyes" Natalie Cole

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    OK, All By Myself may come close. Hmmmm.....
    Yeah... that one and "Alone Again" are definately the top 2 in my book... and coming up pretty close behind is Elton John's "Sorry Seems The Be The Hardest Word".

"What Do the Lonely Do At Christmas" - The Emotions
    "The Lonely One" - Terry Huff & Special Delivery
    "I Destroyed Your Love" - Terry Huff & Special Delivery

"It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" - G. C. Cameron
    "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye" - Eddie Kendricks [[also the Supremes version)

I will stick with Motown sound

Ask The Lonely
    It's so Hard to Say Goodbye
    Neither One of Us
    What Becomes Of the Brokenhearted
    I Wish It Would Rain

Mitty Collier - Sharing You
    Mitty Collier - Walk Away
    Mitty Collier - No Faith, No Love

Many days without time for see, read, participate here...

My sad song of today [[played in the computer in the I-Tunes): "Look Up, Look Down" by Soft Touch [[with a very nice falsetto).

Cheers to all

Here's my starter for ten...

Just My Imagination – The Temptations
    You Are Everything – The Stylistics
    Betcha By Golly Wow – The Stylistics
    Tired Of Being Alone – Al Green
    I Wish He Didn’t Trust Me So Much – Bobby Womack
    You And I – Stevie Wonder
    End Of The Road – Boyz II Men
    Brandy – The O’Jays
    Have You Seen Her – The Chi-Lites
    Lucy – The Commodores

honest man Guest
    [QUOTE=Hotspurman;118170]Here's my starter for ten...

Just a quick one that comes to mind Broken blossoms-Dusty Springfield,gets to me everytime,will be back soon. cheers.

George Strait - Let's Fall To Pieces Together

Pure country weeper that's all about tears and lots of weepin' steel guitar.

http://youtu.be/KQF-kvbyxD4

"Each Day I Cry A Little" Eddie Kendricks

"The Beginning of the End" - The Unifics

"I Who Have Nothing" - Ben E. King

You wanna hear sad? Ok, I'll give you sad. While cloaked by music that's somewhat peppy, the lyrics of this song simply paint a picture of one sad existence. Rather than post the lyrics, I'll basically give my particular synopsis of the song.

"Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles

It seems as though Eleanor toils in the church, lonely, alone & underappreciated by all. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride, she has to suffer the indignity of sweeping the rice off of the floor from the weddings of others. Poor Father McKenzie seems to have a problem with keeping his socks in tact & has the thankless jobs of darning his own socks & writing some pretty cool sermons that no one will hear,

Hell, no one comes near.

That is unless it's to torture Eleanor by having her witness yet another damn wedding that won't be hers. Which means that yet again, she'll be sweeping yet more rice off of the floor. Adding to her angst is the reality that while there are poor children suffering with hunger, she must throw perfectly good Uncle Ben's rice into the trash.

One dark & foggy eve [[and with a life like hers, what other kind of night could there possibly be?) Eleanor died in the church. My suspicion is that she likely died of a bad reaction from all of the of the rice dust that she'd swept up all of those years while wearing no protective mask. Eleanor was buried, suffering further indignity by being buried with her name & just like Sonny LoSpeechi said, "Nobody cares kid!", because nobody came, not even one of those hundreds of rice throwing bastards who threw all of that rice that she had to sweep up had the decency to make an appearance.

Meanwhile due to attrition & the down-sizing/outsourcing of poor Eleanor, Father McKenzie has yet more burdens placed upon him, having to both bury Eleanor & most likely facing a future of also having to sweep up the rice that was in poor Eleanor's job description. He also must bear the burden that while burying Eleanor, not one soul was saved, likely launching him into self-loathing, or worse.

"Where do they all come from" indeed! A pox on them all, the ingrates!!!