[REMOVE ADS]

Can anyone identify this Supremes photo?

I recently found this image of the Supremes from what I attest to be from 1967. I have never seen this before and hope this is a treat for you all.
    Name:  10650270-essay.jpg
Views: 7865
Size:  65.4 KB

The caption reads:
    Bill Payne of Newark [[far right) attends an award ceremony for the Supremes during the 1970's at the Copa Cabana in New York City. Also seen are [[l-r) Florence Ballard of the Supremes, future congressman Donald Payne of Newark, Mary Wilson of the Supremes, East Orange mayor Bill Hart, WNJR disc jockey Hal Jackson, and Diana Ross of the Supremes.Star-Ledger copy photo
    Clearly, this is not the 1970's, for obvious reasons, but I would assume that it is at the Copa. Not sure if this is the case, but I was wondering if anyone knows what those awards are for that the Supremes are receiving.

Here's a link to the original source:
    http://photos.nj.com/njcom_photo_ess...ead_at_77.html

Thank you Atceleb, for posting this picture of The Supremes,Mary Florence and Diana,i love it.
    Please stay positive

This is close to the very end with Florence as you can tell by her lack of wearing wigs circa May 1967.

I have never seen that photo it is rare, indeed. Thank you anteceleb12 for sharing that. I don't know what the trophy's are for. Maybe they won them bowling?! Ha Ha

Florences face is so sweet in the photo, so angelic. God she was beautiful. What a tragedy that she passed so young.

Penny

smark21 Guest
    Maybe the trophies were for being the top Avon salespeople in their region? Have you won such an honor Penny?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Maybe the trophies were for being the top Avon salespeople in their region? Have you won such an honor Penny?
    smark21, I don't want to brag but I am a member of the President's Club. Maybe the Supremes sold AVON in the early days to supplement their incomes. Ha! Ha! Hence, the trophy's.

Penny

My oh my, Mary looks more like Diana here than Diana does!

Hi --
    This is just a guess. But could they have been given trophies for recording the song "Things Are Changing" about equal employment opportunities?
    Things Are Changing for the Better.....
    Did try bumping up the size of the photo to see if I could read what is on the plaque on the trophies but couldn't make out what they said. That's my guess.

Speaking of rare photos, check out these "backstage" shots recently listed on eBay and apparently from Flo's personal collection:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=...tion-buys-2009
    I purchase public storage vaults at auctions. Last
    week I bought a unit owned by Forrest Westering [[Singer/Song Writter Denice
    Williams Son). Inside a box marked "Mom's Things" I found a photo album with 49
    Photos of the Famous girl band THE SUPREMES, the last picture is what it said in
    front before viewing the pictures the pictures "The Supremes photo album From
    1965 Personal Property of Miss Florence Ballard". High bid will only get the
    actual Photograph shown and a copy of the reciept from where the unit was
    purchased, less my personal information on it. Each picture is 100% Authentic
    photos of them behind closed doors. Im not sure who else is in the pictures
    besides them. I also am listing a few with notes written on back by one of the
    member of The Supremes. Feel free asking my all questions needed. Please check
    out all the pictures to come. I will combine shipping on photos purchased.
    Thanks

Very cool. thx!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    This is close to the very end with Florence as you can tell by her lack of wearing wigs circa May 1967.
    Poor Florence. It breaks my heart every time I think of what happened to her.

Roberta

[ATTACH]5064

Viewing these "behind closed doors" photographs circa 1966, underscores just how down to earth Diana, Mary and Florence were, and how they seemed to enjoy being with each other. I had heard that the three women were entertained in Vancouver by some fans during their Cave supper club engagement in 1966, around the time these photos were taken. Apparently they had brought their fur coats to this party and somehow a small fire had occurred. Perhaps, a cigarette accidently left on a bed where the coats were placed. The host quickly doused out the fire, and no real damage to the furs occurred.
    The next evening Florence noticed that the hosts to the previous evening's soiree were seated near the stage and nudged Mary and Diana, stating, "those are the guys who saved us last night." Diana then approached their table and sang a song directly to them.

Update: I contacted the seller of these photos and was informed that the color ones appear to have been taken in Florida. In total, a number of 49 photos will be sold and more color candids will be posted for sale soon.
    What a wonderful time capsule of the young women just enjoying themselves!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 06-27-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Those are lovely photos. I may bid on some of them and add them to my scrap book.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    Update: I contacted the seller of these photos and was informed that the color ones appear to have been taken in Florida. In total, a number of 49 photos will be sold and more color candids will be posted for sale soon.
    What a wonderful time capsule of the young women just enjoying themselves!
    My favorite one is the color photo of Florence and Diana on the couch from 1967. I just realized that that one is from Florence's surprise birthday party just before her departure from the group! Florence doesn't look miserable, and no sign of palpable tension between her and Diana, so it's hard to imagine that she would be fired a day later.

my fave of the e-bay pix is the color one of Florence with Gene Pitney.

JRT talks about Florence's birthday party in his updated Ross book. Pretty interesting stuff. According to him Mary threw a huge fit that Diana and Berry didnt want the party as they felt it was hypocritical with Flo probably on the way out. Mary felt otherwise and insisted they celebrate Florence's birthday. Diana seemed very supportive of Flo at the party but Berry did not attend!

It was hypocritical luke especially since they threw her that big party and acted all chummy with her then kicked her out of the group the very next day, I'm sure Flo felt back-stabbed by both Diana and Mary. I think in the book it said Berry tried to suggest that Mary and Diana just hang out with Flo and celebrate her birthday just the three of them and that's when Mary flipped out. Anyway those pictures on ebay are good, Mary really must've been a heavy smoker in almost all those pictures she's got a cigarette in her hand.

The above photo is a very historical one for several reasons. Donald Payne passed away about 3 months ago now. He was one of the greatest Congressmen the State of NJ and this country has ever had. Hal Jackson, "The Godfather of Black Radio", passed away here in New York about a month ago and without him, the Supremes and Motown may not have achieved the across the board success that they did. To both gentlemen, Rest in Peace. You were GREAT!

Marv ol buddy good to thear from you!!

They didnt know what would happen the next day and Mary wanted her to be treated well for her birthday. Flo burst into tears feeling very moved. JRT said Diana was dumbfounded with Mary being so assetive and saying to her " u will go the damm party Diane Ross and u will be happy dammit" the way Diana did when she was letting people have it, by using their full names! lol

Well, I think you puzzled us on this one antceleb12. I am not sure what the award was given to them for on this picture. Perhaps Mary or Diana will remember. It looks like a big enough "TROPHY" instead of an actual award but back in the day this award was kind of normal.

In the 1975 Jet magazine cover story on Florence, there is a photo of her gazing up at a shot of the group when they appeared on RODGERS AND HART TODAY. On her mantle, there sits a trophy that looks very similar to the one in the first post. Maybe the JET photo can be blown up to see the inscription.

honest man Guest
    i was going to comment on Mary's fairytale book,but will save it, don't believe in them ,maybe the reason i threw it in TRASH, Cheers

stopinthenameoflove Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    i was going to comment on Mary's fairytale book,but will save it, don't believe in them ,maybe the reason i threw it in TRASH, Cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MceoxOuYj6U

Did anyone buy any of the photos in the ebay auction?

There is so many holes in the Supremes history..theres books documenting every movement of the beatles...Nobody seems to know a thing about many Supremes moments..and not just this photo with the tropheys..their last "Tonight Show" apperance days before Sullivan..what did they sing ? the photo of them in the 25th anniversary LP booklet..they are on a tv set surrounded by balloons - what show was this ?...their first daytime tv apperance with The Temptations..no one on SDF has ever been to say what they sang..and its the Supremes and Temps together on TV !!..the "Forever" Diana Box set has a colour TV shot which she has written on it "smile girl your on tv"..which tv show was that ??..what did they sing and wear on '67 Ice Capades..or the '67 American Bandstand apperance which some afficandos have argued never happened yet is recorded in the master log for the 525 line recording tape..there was a flurry of UK tv appearances to promote "Baby Love"..again nothing has really been documented and the list goes on..damn those ladies were busy...
    Last edited by nomis; 07-06-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    There is so many holes in the Supremes history..theres books documenting every movement of the beatles...Nobody seems to know a thing about many Supremes moments..and not just this photo with the tropheys..their last "Tonight Show" apperance days before Sullivan..what did they sing ? the photo of them in the 25th anniversary LP booklet..they are on a tv set surrounded by balloons - what show was this ?...their first daytime tv apperance with The Temptations..no one on SDF has ever been to say what they sang..and its the Supremes and Temps together on TV !!..the "Forever" Diana Box set has a colour TV shot which she has written on it "smile girl your on tv"..which tv show was that ??..what did they sing and wear on '67 Ice Capades..or the '67 American Bandstand apperance which some afficandos have argued never happened yet is recorded in the master log for the 525 line recording tape..there was a flurry of UK tv appearances to promote "Baby Love"..again nothing has really been documented and the list goes on..damn those ladies were busy...
    On Flo's last TONIGHT SHOW appearance, THE HAPPENING and THE LADY IS A TRAMP/LET'S GET AWAY FROM IT ALL.

The "Smile girl"... photo is from their last appearance on HULLABALOO.

On the 1967 BANDSTAND appearance, they supposedly sang REFLECTIONS.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I have always wanted to know about the Supremes/Tempts performance, as well as the Ice Capades one, which I had no idea about until I found some obscure program for it online a couple days ago.

The only thing I know about the Supremes/Tempts performance [[with Flo still in the group) was that it was on the Mike Douglas show in the summer of 1966. I have only seen one photo of it, and it is very poor quality. You can barely make out each member.

I believe the balloon shot was a performance on the Mike Douglas Show in early 1967. I have no clue what they performed, but it appears a hits medley of sorts.

It'd be worth investigating regarding the '67 American Bandstand appearance. Dick Clark Productions would have the information. It says the performance was August 1967 which would mean, if it is true, that it's Cindy's first TV appearance with the group rather than the Hollywood Palace performance in September. There was a photo I saw of Diana, Mary and Cindy with some TV host from the summer of 1967. I can't tell if it was a local show or not.

Some people on here have stated they remember a music video of sorts of "No Matter What Sign You Are" that was shown on the Top of the Pops in 1969. Unfortunately, most of all of the 60's/early 70's Top of the Pops episodes were erased...

I believe the balloon shot was a performance on the Mike Douglas Show in early 1967. I have no clue what they performed, but it appears a hits medley of sorts.

It'd be worth investigating regarding the '67 American Bandstand appearance. Dick Clark Productions would have the information. It says the performance was August 1967 which would mean, if it is true, that it's Cindy's first TV appearance with the group rather than the Hollywood Palace performance in September. There was a photo I saw of Diana, Mary and Cindy with some TV host from the summer of 1967. I can't tell if it was a local show or not.

Some people on here have stated they remember a music video of sorts of "No Matter What Sign You Are" that was shown on the Top of the Pops in 1969. Unfortunately, most of all of the 60's/early 70's Top of the Pops episodes were erased...
    In August 1967, they were at "Expo '67" in Montreal. They did several performances there, one of which was televised and included on either the Ed Sullivan Show or Bandstand as a remote broadcast. "The Hollywood Palace" was Cindy's first in studio television appearance with the group.

I always thought the balloon shot was from the Andy Williams Show; the same episode where the sang [[synced) "Love is Here and Now You're Gone". Aren't they wearing the blue "fishscale" dresses? Would they have worn the same dresses on tv for two high profile shows, so close together?

I did a little research from that episode:

The Andy Williams Show [[1962)
    January 22, 1967
    Season 5, Episode 20, Aired Jan 22, 1967

Highlights: The Supremes sing "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" and a medley of their hits. Andy Williams joins The Supremes for "Let There be Love."

I don't have the picture in front of me; are the wigs the same in the picture as in this performance? Is it possible the pic is a rehersal pic? It seems to me in the picture, the Supremes are on a staircase [[or tiered) much like in the background of the above clip.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I always thought the balloon shot was from the Andy Williams Show; the same episode where the sang [[synced) "Love is Here and Now You're Gone". Aren't they wearing the blue "fishscale" dresses? Would they have worn the same dresses on tv for two high profile shows, so close together?

January 22, 1967

Highlights: The Supremes sing "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" and a medley of their hits. Andy Williams joins The Supremes for "Let There be Love."

I don't have the picture in front of me; are the wigs the same in the picture as in this performance? Is it possible the pic is a rehersal pic? It seems to me in the picture, the Supremes are on a staircase [[or tiered) much like in the background of the above clip.

Just a thought.
    I don't think it is the same show. On Andy Williams, there was never a part where they were each standing on a separate step. The dresses are probably the same, but the hairstyles are different. The photo on the balloon set might be a rehearsal shot, as I saw another from the same appearance showing Berry talking to the girls.

Here are two pictures of them surrounded by balloons. I've seen one with Berry there talking to them on the stairs.

Judging by the wigs, I would say this was sometime in the spring of 1967 shortly before Flo's departure. I have a good feeling this was the Mike Douglas Show judging by how small the studio is behind them. It could be possible they were wearing the silver version of these gowns instead of the blue ones. They may have been promoting "The Happening" or "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone," but these pictures definitely show they were doing a hits medley of sorts - "Stop! In The Name of Love."

Name:  mike douglas 67 1.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  32.8 KB
    Name:  mike douglas 67 2.jpg
Views: 2543
Size:  48.7 KB

Yeah, it appears to be May, 1967. Diana and Flo are wearing the same hair styles they used at the Copa, and on "What's My Line?" which was around the same time. I've always wanted to see their performance. They look absolutely stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

January 22, 1967

Just a thought.
    That was not the same show at all. Everything was different in the photo that has been referred to even the clothing.

I have a copy of the whole Andy Williams episode and the Balloons shot is definetly not from that....The Tonight Show performance I refferred to was the 69 apperance days before their final DMC appearance on Sullivan..no one was ever been able to shed light on it..plus their appearances on Al Hirt,Jackie Gleason,Bob Newhart shows..the "No Matter What Sign" promo clip shown on "Top Of The Pops" just consisted of photos of the girls with lighting effects..a SDF member saw it on Broadcast...

Here are two pictures of them surrounded by balloons. I've seen one with Berry there talking to them on the stairs.

Judging by the wigs, I would say this was sometime in the spring of 1967 shortly before Flo's departure. I have a good feeling this was the Mike Douglas Show judging by how small the studio is behind them. It could be possible they were wearing the silver version of these gowns instead of the blue ones. They may have been promoting "The Happening" or "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone," but these pictures definitely show they were doing a hits medley of sorts - "Stop! In The Name of Love."

Name:  mike douglas 67 1.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  32.8 KB
    Name:  mike douglas 67 2.jpg
Views: 2543
Size:  48.7 KB
    These photos could have very much been from a foreign television, Canadian, European, etc. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    These photos could have very much been from a foreign television, Canadian, European, etc. Who knows?
    Compare the backdrop in the balloon pictures to the backdrop in the video clip of the Supremes on the Mike Douglas in 1965. Same backdrop. Plus the Supremes were not in Europe in the spring of 1967 as these pictures prove. It's possible that it's from a local TV show.

All of the Tonight Show appearances are lost. NBC erased the majority of the 60's and early 70's Tonight Shows. The only appearance that exists is the small clip of them performing "The Happening" in May 1967 which appeared in one of Diana's TV specials in the 70's. I know they made several appearances throughout 1968 and 1969. Sadly, we'll never see those...
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 07-07-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Compare the backdrop in the balloon pictures to the backdrop in the video clip of the Supremes on the Mike Douglas in 1965. Same backdrop. Plus the Supremes were not in Europe in the spring of 1967 as these pictures prove. It's possible that it's from a local TV show.

All of the Tonight Show appearances are lost. NBC erased the majority of the 60's and early 70's Tonight Shows. The only appearance that exists is the small clip of them performing "The Happening" in May 1967 which appeared in one of Diana's TV specials in the 70's. I know they made several appearances throughout 1968 and 1969. Sadly, we'll never see those...
    That's really strange because I the entire Tonight Show appearance where they sang "The Happening", plus another song [[The Lady Is a Tramp"? I believe) plus the interview when Diane states that they had stand ins for Mary and Flo. It is in very poor quality, but it is the entire appearance. Now I have heard that they destroyed or erased a lot of the shows from the Sixties, but then that crystal clear clip of Marvin and Tammi surfaced singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". So who knows. Yes the "balloon" pic could be from a local show.

Motown bought a film recording of 67 Tonight Show which was made from the 525 NBC master tape..they held it in their archives on a "1 inch video clip hence the clip being used in "An Evening With Diana " show...then the tape vanished from the vaults no doubt into a private collectors hands...