[REMOVE ADS]

If you could turn back the hands of time:

If you could turn back the hands of time, redo your life, where would you go back to? Here's the catch: you have to also go back to the same age and person you were at that time and not know what was to happen in the future.

I have to give you two answers:
    First would be the '60s because I was just a kid and had no problems back then. I was blessed to have a mom and dad who took care of me and everything that I needed. All I had to do was to grow up and do kid-like things. I remember all of our family gatherings; my best friends were my cousins back then. I remember the food and the music and going to school. Life was much better before I had to grow up.

Second is the '80s. Just because I had so much fun in my 20s. The music might sound poppy now, but it was soooo much fun to listen to and dance to back then. I have a lot of precious memories from then that I am grateful for to this day. It seems as if the '80s were planned out for me. One good thing after another happened and that is the decade that steered me in the direction of my life.

I notice you didn't answer your own question though, Soulster...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post

I notice you didn't answer your own question though, Soulster...
    Yup...there's a reason for that.

I gotcha. One of my favorite lines in a film was from "Big" when Tom Hanks' character asks his adult girlfriend if she wanted to relive her childhood. She explained to him that it was rough enough the first time. I feel that way sometimes, but I have to admit that there were glory days in the past.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  21.1 KB
    If one could go back to any previous time in one's life and not be able to make things work better by using the added knowledge from later experience, one would do exactly the same things he/she had done before, and nothing would change. What then would be the point in going back?

At every new point in time, one is a NEW person. Going back makes you not YOU anymore. one can't undo what has happened. Better to be you now, and deal with your situation as it is. There is a good reason why time progresses forward.

Still, it is interesting to think of the "Groundhog's Day" possibility of going back to previous opportunities armed with knowledge gained in subsequent periods, and have the ability to change the outcomes.
    Last edited by robb_k; 06-19-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 498
    If one could go back to any previous time in one's life and not be able to make things work better by using the added knowledge from later experience, one would do exactly the same things he/she had done before, and nothing would chance. What then would be the point in going back?
    But, what if you didn't do things differently? I didn't say history had repeat itself, just that you could turn back the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    But, what if you didn't do things differently? I didn't say history had repeat itself, just that you could turn back the clock.
Views: 506
    Then you would relive past events in your life just as they occurred. You'd relive both the good times and the bad. But, if you'd go back into those times, you'd have your knowledge of what happened AFTER that time erased. So, it would only benefit you by "extending" your life [[existence) IF you [[all humans) only existence is this physical life [[from birth to death), and their is no such thing as a "soul"-no "so-called afterlife".

Personally, I think there is more to my existence than a bunch of atoms getting together to form ME in birth, and then I end completely as a self [[aware of my existence) when I die. So, returning to a younger period of my life, and re-living events [[that would occur in the same exact way as they did in the past in my life), without having any knowledge of what happened after, would just be getting stuck in a "loop" in the flow of my life, and not move on in the progression of my existence. It really wouldn't change anything. It would be a stagnation. I guess it wouldn't cause any harm. But it also wouldn't add anything. It does point out that time is "timeless" and only relative, and, therefore, meaningless. It all brings us back to the unanswerable question of: What is the meaning of everything or anything?

I would have had one more child and I wouldn't be so afraid to take a chance and invest some of my money!

I'm cool with not changing anything if I went back. The two times [['60s and '80s) that I mentioned were just happier times in my life and I miss the friends and experiences that I had. It's funny how I can't remember 99.5% of what happened yesterday but want to hold on to a few dear [[and painful) memories from decades ago...

I feel sorry for anyone who can't get past the mistakes of the past, because in the end, it all turned out the way it was going to anyway. We are indeed the sum of our experiences for better or worse.

soulster, I have to agree with Robb K. If you could go back, but you wouldn't remember what you know now from this vantage point, why bother? However, if I could go back AND take what I know now with me, I'd go back to the day I graduated from college [[80's) and I'd make some slightly different choices. I'd probably take more chances that I let get by as well.

Honestly? There are some stretches in the early 70's when I lived in Manitou Springs [[and dope was cheap) that I think I'd like to reliive if only to find out what I actually did during those years.....

If you could turn back the hands of time, redo your life, where would you go back to? Here's the catch: you have to also go back to the same age and person you were at that time and not know what was to happen in the future.
    Inspite of the kindness and pc'ness of others....I'll use your quote from the kh interracial thread you started, and will "let it all hang out".

It's a Dumazz question. Go back in time, but as you were, not knowing what you know now.......Soulster we humans refer to that as reminiscing......not a REDO.

Why not simply ask, "Do you have a fave memory you'd like share?".

And lastly......when bringing up these "stimulating" topics.....It helps to start with one's own perspective.....and it's even better when it's not so mundane.

What's the point in saying, "I don't see a problem with interracial dating.....but maybe you do. Tell me all about it.....you racist mollyfactor u" What you're gonna get is, "It doesn't bother me....but it bothers some people.....I don't know why....but I've heard that it does."

Now I've got two questions.....maybe incendiary.....maybe just as topical.

Are you Black.....and are you an Adult? Beyond your audiophile acumen.......I find myself asking these questions about you....moreso than I'm able to answer them. Maybe I'm just slow..... Could you let it all hang out and set the record straight..... Much obliged.

smark21 Guest
    Thank you Destruction. My own take is that Soulster is looking for attention. He’s often voiced frustration around here because most of his threads don’t get many responses or views.

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post
    Inspite of the kindness and pc'ness of others....I'll use your quote from the kh interracial thread you started, and will "let it all hang out".

It's a Dumazz question. Go back in time, but as you were, not knowing what you know now.......Soulster we humans refer to that as reminiscing......not a REDO.

Why not simply ask, "Do you have a fave memory you'd like share?".

And lastly......when bringing up these "stimulating" topics.....It helps to start with one's own perspective.....and it's even better when it's not so mundane.

What's the point in saying, "I don't see a problem with interracial dating.....but maybe you do. Tell me all about it.....you racist mollyfactor u" What you're gonna get is, "It doesn't bother me....but it bothers some people.....I don't know why....but I've heard that it does."

Now I've got two questions.....maybe incendiary.....maybe just as topical.

Are you Black.....and are you an Adult? Beyond your audiophile acumen.......I find myself asking these questions about you....moreso than I'm able to answer them. Maybe I'm just slow..... Could you let it all hang out and set the record straight..... Much obliged.

Destruction,

The point in not disclosing my own point of view up front is for the participants in the forum to give their view without any of my personal opinion for the forum to judge my intent or for the forum to judge me personally first. As the thread-starter, I will sometimes attempt to guide the a bit thread if I see it's not going in the direction I want it to go.

I get that you don't like me very much, and I guess i'm cool with that. Could it be that we just come from two totally different worlds, and have totally different personalities? Since you are so curious, I am a 49-year-old Black man who was born in the midwest and grew up out here in the west. I am naturally an easy-going person, and I like to entertain different idea about things. I am very socially liberal, and have always been in interracial relationships. My wife is White. I am a musician, music collector, and an audiophile. I look twenty-years younger than I am, and I am youthful. I do not care for reserved, conservative people who can't think outside the box. I work in corporate America and hate it. My dream job is to work as a professional engineer. I am interested in social sciences and majored in psychology. Sorry all of that bothers you.

No, what I posed not a "dumbass" question. It's just for fantasy, really, having a little fun. Are you able to stretch your imagination a bit and have fun, "let it all hang out", as it were? You sound like you're very uptight. Lighten up a bit and get off my ass! If you don't want to indulge, don't post. Capice?

Have a good day...brotha!
    Last edited by soulster; 06-19-2012 at 10:51 PM.

If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time, I would be Tyrone Davis

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time, I would be Tyrone Davis
Views: 459
    Are you sure that you wouldn't want to be a split personality, and be Vernon Garrett as well?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 459
    Are you sure that you wouldn't want to be a split personality, and be Vernon Garrett as well?
    Can I Change My Mind. Vernon Garret blew my mind. Okay, we better stop. We're giving away our ages

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Can I Change My Mind. Vernon Garret blew my mind. Okay, we better stop. We're giving away our ages
Views: 450
    Ha! Ha! A cheap way of sneaking in YET ANOTHER song title by "Tyrone, The Wonder Boy". Good thing I'm a big Chicago Soul fan, or I'd suggest you be whipped with a wet noodle!

Hey! I wonder if we could have a full conversation only using Tyrone Davis song titles?

[[This shows what really important things we think about when we "age gracefully").

It took me 'till age 66 to finally give in to using smilies. Up until then, I thought using them was a form of feeble mindedness. Age mellows a person.
    Last edited by robb_k; 06-21-2012 at 12:54 AM.

And, one more thing, destruction, why did you not mention other forum members who start threads and don't make opening statements? Sounds like a personal vendetta to me.

I'm with robb, I don't see the point under the terms you originally described...Now if I could know what I know now,
    that'd be something else altogether...

I think he was only asking what you consider to be your glory days. It's a completely different subject to ask what you would change, if anything. Then, it's different again to figure out the unintended consequences of having turned left instead of right on the day that you met your future spouse.

And whether that would be a good or a bad thing.

I'd like to go back to 1963 and get my Dad to take me to Rotterdam so I could actually see Spurs win the European Cup Winners Cup against Athletico Madrid - I know the game is going to end 5-1, but I'd love to see the whole game, not the ten minutes or so of highlights I'd have to live with for years.

i cant say that i would change much,not because i'm brilliant or everything went how i planned.i'm not and it did not.
    but the way my life flowed from one thing to another if i'd "screwed the nut" at times i wouldn't have ended up with the 4 kids i have and wouldnt swop them for anything being changed or a mistake avoided.but i definatley wouldnt have thrown my boyhood stuff out.worth a bloody fortune now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I think he was only asking what you consider to be your glory days. It's a completely different subject to ask what you would change, if anything. Then, it's different again to figure out the unintended consequences of having turned left instead of right on the day that you met your future spouse.

And whether that would be a good or a bad thing.

He had a strange way of asking. The guy's been on my ass since the time he thought I was dissing his forum buddy.

Been outta town and pretty much off the grid the past 3 days. I did peep in SDF, as I do from time to time, even though Father’s Day was the first time I’ve posted in more than 1 or 2 threads in a minute [[that’s Black People talk for “awhile”)

After reading your posts, particularly the passages where you claim I have some sort of beef with you [[that’s Hip Hop talk for a disagreement), my initial reaction was to post this:

“Soulster, Mixey on Line 3….Pick Up!!!!!”

But, I decided I’d wait and give you the attention you surely crave.

Let’s go LIFO [[that’s accountant talk for Last In First Out) then we can switch it up.

He had a strange way of asking. The guy's been on my ass since the time he thought I was dissing his forum buddy.
    Soulster, I may be wrong…..but I believe Mr. Oz’s comment referred to Splanky’s [[or someone other than me)….who posted just before he did. And BTW [[internet speak for "and guess what...") Splanky’s comment brings the total to 4 posters who feel you didn’t do a good job of laying out your post. I’m sorry….it’s was just awkward [[normal people talk for wack)…..and clearly….not just me. Maybe we should start thinking about sideboards for the PV [[Personal Vendetta) wagon.

And as for you dissing my forum buddy here on SDF [[go on wit yo black self…..’dissing’….sent me scrambling to the Urban Dictionary wit a quickness)….. I’m going to assume you’re talking about MsM…. I have dozens of forum buddies here on SDF…..but I know that you and MSM have had a “beef” [[see above ref) in the past. And she Is one of my forum buddies. And, not too long ago you did Actually diss. [[You should cut and paste that to your notebook as Real Deductive Reasoning….”not as hard as I make it out to be”….and, BTW, It was more than a thought….Here’s the clip:

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff Previously Posted
    soulster Senior Member Join Date:Aug 2010

Originally Posted by ms_m
    Reading comprehension has never been your strong suit.

Have a great evening Soulster.

What a pompous, arrogant b____! Consider yourself back on my ignore list. Did you comprehend that? Last edited by soulster; 03-23-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    Now considering how you have bitched, pissed and moaned about being mistreated, mishandled and abused…..and now adding me as Man Filler to your Album of Life….I would think you would be above referring to a woman as a bitch….. It doesn’t make it better that you couldn’t spell it correctly. Most adults and literate children above the age 9 know what you meant. But what made it worser [[that’s Projects talk for worse…..I grew up there btw) is that you edited the post…..and still didn’t have the decency to take it out. {Insert Gomer Pyle Quote}.

Moving On.

And, one more thing, destruction, why did you not mention other forum members who start threads and don't make opening statements? Sounds like a personal vendetta to me.

Several reasons….but first let’s look at what I actually said:

Quote Originally Posted by Me And What I Actually WROTE
    ......when bringing up these "stimulating" topics.....It helps to start with one's own perspective
    Now if that sounds like a “personal vendetta”…… then maybe reading comprehension is the “least” of the issues we’ve got going on here. Some threads are better started with opening statements…some are not…. I wasn’t making a proclamation or starting a beef [[dam, can’t let it go)….just stating an opinion. I will back off of that statement and tell Uncle Ralph that he needs to punish me for violating the Soulster Rules.

One more….but it’s a biggie…[[Sorry no ref to Biggie Smalls)…..

Destruction,
    The point in not disclosing my own point of view up front is for the participants in the forum to give their view without any of my personal opinion for the forum to judge my intent or for the forum to judge me personally first. As the thread-starter, I will sometimes attempt to guide the a bit thread if I see it's not going in the direction I want it to go.

You added this later to your original post. You should have listened to the voices telling you not to post it rather than the ones you succumbed to. The paragraph [[maybe a sincere attempt at expressing some sort of emotion or reasoning or maybe just another cry for help) is convoluted, poorly written and edited, and indicative of a controlling personality. It often helps to read something out loud to yourself [[you know what I mean) before posting . When you stop being interested in psychology and start learning its underpinnings, you’ll understand. Sometimes it takes more than just being involved in a process to get something meaningful out of it. There are a tons of patients who simply don’t understand the ramifications of the treatment they are receiving….even though they’re at the epicenter.

Destruction,

I get that you don't like me very much, and I guess i'm cool with that. Could it be that we just come from two totally different worlds, and have totally different personalities? Since you are so curious, I am a 49-year-old Black man who was born in the midwest and grew up out here in the west. I am naturally an easy-going person, and I like to entertain different idea about things. I am very socially liberal, and have always been in interracial relationships. My wife is White. I am a musician, music collector, and an audiophile. I look twenty-years younger than I am, and I am youthful. I do not care for reserved, conservative people who can't think outside the box. I work in corporate America and hate it. My dream job is to work as a professional engineer. I am interested in social sciences and majored in psychology. Sorry all of that bothers you.

No, what I posed not a "dumbass" question. It's just for fantasy, really, having a little fun. Are you able to stretch your imagination a bit and have fun, "let it all hang out", as it were? You sound like you're very uptight. Lighten up a bit and get off my ass! If you don't want to indulge, don't post. Capice?

Have a good day...brotha!

It’s not that I don’t like you very much. I really don’t know you. First of all you’re a prolific poster, so it’s hard to ignore you. Secondly sometimes you post things, especially in your strength areas like audiophile topics [[sic) where I soak it in like a sponge and sometimes find those posts enlightening. Other times you make poignant and topical remarks reflective of your tastes in and knowledge of music and not just soul. And then there are times where you come off as clueless, condescending, out-of-touch or whiney. Maybe we all do….but it’s the percentages that reflect my opinion of you as well as others. Beyond what you post, I don’t know you…..and I’m not a big enough knucklehead or azzhole to judge a person strictly on what they post. If you would review the posts that I made on Father’s day, I bet you’ll find one where I pretty much agreed with something you said. I’ve really gotta work on this Personal Vendetta thing if I want to continue.

Nice bio…..would you like me to put mine on the table? We’re from different worlds and cuts of the cloth, that’s for sure. But I can go on for days about how that has NEVER been a problem for me relating to others who are different. Hell I could elicit testimonials if you’d like. But I’m really confounded by the “Sorry if that bothers you” remark. Could you please enlighten me as to what there is in your “bio” or “bout you” that could possibly bother me. Please….and I will surely set you straight. Maybe the clue is in your other statement.

“ I am interested in social sciences and majored in psychology”

Soulster, you pretty much suck at “people” and it’s not really hard to see why you’re in a job you don’t like. That S and BS [[that’s what we used to call those majors when I was at JHU) stuff didn’t seem to be your cup of tea.

Wrapping up with your final paragraph:

Instead of just saying it was not a dumazz question and the subsequent BS you spewed…..why don’t you try addressing the reasons that I laid out…..and doing it in a logical, thought-out, fashion. Show me where my assessment and the similar assessments by others were awry.

And lastly….. Grown man to you…….Please don’t tell me what to do, when to post or not….and how….. You can apologize or not….. but don’t do it again.

Destruction withdrawing…..but I’m sure I didn’t have to announce that.

[QUOTE=destruction;114249]
    [QUOTE]It’s not that I don’t like you very much. I really don’t know you. First of all you’re a prolific poster, so it’s hard to ignore you. Secondly sometimes you post things, especially in your strength areas like audiophile topics [[sic) where I soak it in like a sponge and sometimes find those posts enlightening. Other times you make poignant and topical remarks reflective of your tastes in and knowledge of music and not just soul. And then there are times where you come off as clueless, condescending, out-of-touch or whiney. Maybe we all do….but it’s the percentages that reflect my opinion of you as well as others. Beyond what you post, I don’t know you…..and I’m not a big enough knucklehead or azzhole to judge a person strictly on what they post.[/QUOTE]

But, it seems that this is exactly what you do.

If you would review the posts that I made on Father’s day, I bet you’ll find one where I pretty much agreed with something you said. I’ve really gotta work on this Personal Vendetta thing if I want to continue.
    I did not your posts.

Nice bio…..would you like me to put mine on the table? We’re from different worlds and cuts of the cloth, that’s for sure. But I can go on for days about how that has NEVER been a problem for me relating to others who are different.
    Honestly, your posts say otherwise.

But I’m really confounded by the “Sorry if that bothers you” remark. Could you please enlighten me as to what there is in your “bio” or “bout you” that could possibly bother me. Please….and I will surely set you straight. Maybe the clue is in your other statement.

“ I am interested in social sciences and majored in psychology”

Soulster, you pretty much suck at “people” and it’s not really hard to see why you’re in a job you don’t like. That S and BS [[that’s what we used to call those majors when I was at JHU) stuff didn’t seem to be your cup of tea.
    So, you claim you do not judge me because you don't know me, but you know me just enough to say this. What is it?

It is as for your charge that I seek attention, another form of attention-getting is to consistently publically criticize others, as if to say to everyone "Hey! Look at me y'all! I got Soulster told!" Ain't I the man!".

Wrapping up with your final paragraph:

Instead of just saying it was not a dumazz question and the subsequent BS you spewed…..why don’t you try addressing the reasons that I laid out…..and doing it in a logical, thought-out, fashion. Show me where my assessment and the similar assessments by others were awry.
    If you can't figure it out, i'm not going to waste my time. besides, I gotta run. I have to get to work.

And lastly….. Grown man to you…….Please don’t tell me what to do, when to post or not….and how….. You can apologize or not….. but don’t do it again.
    I don't take orders from you. Who do you think you are?
    Last edited by soulster; 06-23-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Thank you Destruction. My own take is that Soulster is looking for attention. He’s often voiced frustration around here because most of his threads don’t get many responses or views.
    And then there are times where you come off as clueless, condescending, out-of-touch or whiney. Maybe we all do….but it’s the percentages that reflect my opinion of you as well as others.
    Now considering how you have bitched, pissed and moaned about being mistreated, mishandled and abused…..and now adding me as Man Filler to your Album of Life

The above post is what started all of this....weeee-doggie..........I will address that first.........I couldn't and wouldn't go back and undo anything if I didn't know what I had done and the impact it had on my life and others", although I shall not refer to it as a dum azz statement, it really flies in the face of conventional wisdom, which means if you did go back you would'nt know anything anyway......and you certainly wouldn't have the wisdom to make a informed decision....jeez I'm beginning to lose myself.....whoa ! enuff........

This is an interesting and thought provoking thread, in fact I find it quite hilarious., but all the ass references are a tab bit disturbing. But that aside and since I cannot add anything further that would clarify or enhance what has already been stated, I shall mimic my friend and loyal confident of many years "Snagglepuss" and exit stage right.........

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    The above post is what started all of this....weeee-doggie..........I will address that first.........I couldn't and wouldn't go back and undo anything if I didn't know what I had done and the impact it had on my life and others", although I shall not refer to it as a dum azz statement, it really flies in the face of conventional wisdom, which means if you did go back you would'nt know anything anyway......and you certainly wouldn't have the wisdom to make a informed decision....jeez I'm beginning to lose myself.....whoa ! enuff........

This is an interesting and thought provoking thread, in fact I find it quite hilarious., but all the ass references are a tab bit disturbing. But that aside and since I cannot add anything further that would clarify or enhance what has already been stated, I shall mimic my friend and loyal confident of many years "Snagglepuss" and exit stage right.........
    Point taken Bro.......but you know what they say on the Screets:

"Protect Ya Rect"........or is that Cook County Jail?

Snagglepuss ref reminds me of 1W.....where's your cuz?

Soulster.....r ya done?.....you gonna edit some more? Shall I answer your questions....or r u good?

If I could turn back the hands of time I would have deleted this thread when it first appeared. What the hell is wrong with you guys? Do you find it that easy to fight over basically nothing? Such a joy to find first thing in the morning.

Ralph, if you like this one, you should visit the "Top Bass Lines" thread on Soulful Detroit. Disrespect goes from 0 to 60 in the time it takes to hit "enter" around here.

Hi Jerry,
    Yeah, I deleted that thread yesterday. Such a shame. Another interesting thread ruined by children bickering over nothing. I'll never quite understand it, but no longer try to. I just hit the zap button. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    If I could turn back the hands of time I would have deleted this thread when it first appeared. What the hell is wrong with you guys? Do you find it that easy to fight over basically nothing? Such a joy to find first thing in the morning.
    I'm sorry Ralph, but I did not start the problem in this thread. I was attacked for starting the thread, and I responded without 8insulting anyone. It seems to me that some people are incapable of posting without adding their little personal jabs.

This was a harmless little thread, so I don't understand why you would have deleted it, despite the viewpoints of some. I guess people just cannot suspend reality long enough to have a little fun.

You may as well zap the thread now that it's been ruined.

Soul,
    You make your point, but from my perspective, you're all guilty to some extent for fomenting problems. Problems that I don't really need right now.