[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Labels 1968 DJ Promo Mono LP Releases

I made an interesting find yesterday, a copy of Martha Reeves & the Vandellas "Ridin' High" in Mono. Like the Marvelettes' "Sophisticated Soul" which was just released by Hip-O on the great box set, these LPs were only issued in Mono to radio stations. I always loved "Ridin' High," and considered it a great album. I believe also that it was the last Vandellas LP to chart, though I'm not positive about that.

Like the Marvelettes' "Soul" LP, which I also have, the sound is so crisp and clean, and the arrangements of these great songs sound even better in Mono. The guitar on "I Promise to Wait My Love," for example, is quite prominent, and I'm not sure I ever even noticed it before on the commercially released version.

The most noticeable difference I hear on these LPs is that the bass and beat is very much up front in the mix. Likely, this was the sound Gordy always strived for when he would play new test pressings of singles through small speakers made to simulate an AM radio. On my favorite track from this LP, "Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone," the drums are totally dead on through the whole mix.

I imagine these were only released for about a year or so, 1968 or thereabouts, since Stereo very soon took over all the air waves, AM as well as FM. I think these LPs are a real find, and I'd love to know who else has some titles. They are easily identified because over where the cover imprint would normally show "Stereo" is a sticker which states "Monaural Record - DJ Copy."

The mono tracks are also longer....significantly longer in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    The mono tracks are also longer....significantly longer in some cases.
    Xtown - I thought I noticed that on "Say a Little Prayer" and a few others. They seemed to have a much longer fade at the end. I wonder if that was for the purposes of a DJ speaking over the end of the record maybe?

Not too long ago, I found a mono DJ version of FUNNY GIRL by the Supremes. But I confess that I haven't played it yet to know what differences,if any, there are.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Not too long ago, I found a mono DJ version of FUNNY GIRL by the Supremes. But I confess that I haven't played it yet to know what differences,if any, there are.
    I would imagine that one is ultra rare. That's a real find, I think.

There are others...Shorty Long's "Here Comes The Judge", Edwin Starr's "Soul Master"

are you taking about a gordy white label mono glp926dj or tamla motown tml 11078 which was released in numbers.thats 25 quid ish in mint condition.

aswell as the others mentioned....
    i wish it would rain,temps....glp 927
    san remo strings "swing" glp 928dj
    bobby taylor and the vancouver's self titled lp glp 930dj
    eivets rednow glp 932dj
    the highest number i know of is the temps live at the copa glp 938dj
    after dec 68 ish everything onwards was stereo
    i also remember seeing a marvin and tammi "your all i need" tamla dj suffix mono lp
    Last edited by tamla617; 06-18-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Were any of the Stevie albums issued in mono as promos with different/longer mixes?

there were some stevie tamla dj promo lp's,but i dont know if they had different mixes to the normal mono and stereo album's

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    there were some stevie tamla dj promo lp's,but i dont know if they had different mixes to the normal mono and stereo album's
    I think besides "Eivets Rednow," the two which might have fallen into this time frame would be "For Once in My Life" and [[possibly) "My Cherie Amour."

here is the eivets rednow gordy mono dj copy

eivets rednow glp 932dj mono version of the stereo glps 932

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    here is the eivets rednow gordy mono dj copy

eivets rednow glp 932dj mono version of the stereo glps 932
    Tamla617......Did you ever post the photo of this album in mono?

Can't believe this thread is 11 years old! Where did the time go?

Since then, I bought a mono dj copy of Gladys Knight and the Pips' FEELIN' BLUESY.

I also have what seems to be a commercial mono copy of DIANA ROSS AND THE SUPREMES JOIN THE TEMPTATIONS.

This thread was posted before I was a member. A couple more titles I have that I can add to the list of DJ only monaural copy white label promo LP's would be:

Diana Ross and The Supremes "Live At London's Talk of the Town"
    "Motown 16 Big Hits Vol. 9"
    Gladys and the Pips "Feelin Bluesy"

I'd have to look and see if I have any others that are not mentioned.
    Darin
    Last edited by DWSheffer; 03-15-2023 at 09:10 AM.

I just thought of more while having my morning coffee at work, haha!

The Four Tops "Yesterday's Dreams"
    Marvin Gaye "In The Groove"

Also there is a DJ copy stickered cover for Diana Ross and The Supremes "Reflections", but all of the records I've seen contained in this cover have been commercial release blue Motown labeled monaural discs. I do not think it exists in an actual white label promo. My copy is still sealed, but I'd bet it's likely a commercial copy inside.
    Darin

Name:  Refections.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  88.2 KB
    Last edited by DWSheffer; 03-15-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JM27 View Post
    Were any of the Stevie albums issued in mono as promos with different/longer mixes?
    I couldn't attest to any of the mixes being different/alternates, but Stevie's "Greatest Hits" number 282 was issued as a DJ only monaural release.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Can't believe this thread is 11 years old! Where did the time go? .
    I know…right? When I saw this thread, I was thinking, I think there was one from a few years ago, where someone ended up listing all the titles, but I had no idea it could be 11 years ago. Oh my gosh…

I had all these mono lps. I lost Martha's Ridin' High white label in the 2016 Louisiana flood. If anybody knows where I can find another copy please let me know, I have been looking. It has an alternate mix of Honey Love and an extended I Say A Little Prayer.

I consulted fellow collector/forum member Nsoule and he pointed two that had not yet been mentioned.

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles "Special Occasion", which has a DJ WLP as well as a stock release MONO cover and disc.

Also Chuck Jackson "Arrives" is the same as the "Reflections" release where it has the DJ sticker on the cover but the record contained is a stock label release. We think that should cover all the DJ stickered covers.

It was mentioned above that the Tempts "At The Copa" had a mono release, but neither of us have seen it, only a stereo white label promo. The same goes for Eivets Rednow...I'd love to see if a mono DJ copy exists for this title as I've never seen one!
    Darin

What a great discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Like the Marvelettes' "Soul" LP, which I also have, the sound is so crisp and clean, and the arrangements of these great songs sound even better in Mono. The guitar on "I Promise to Wait My Love," for example, is quite prominent, and I'm not sure I ever even noticed it before on the commercially released version.
    I remember these being discussed elsewhere and the main thing I recall is that these 1968 monaural dj albums are the stereo mixes "folded down" to mono. There were no special mono mixes- except in the cases of songs that were mixed for singles. So you didn't get added reverb or anything, just the left and right channels combined.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    The most noticeable difference I hear on these LPs is that the bass and beat is very much up front in the mix. Likely, this was the sound Gordy always strived for when he would play new test pressings of singles through small speakers made to simulate an AM radio. On my favorite track from this LP, "Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone," the drums are totally dead on through the whole mix.
    Because these are in mono, the bass becomes more prominent in sound. A few people who know a LOT more than me explained it here before; in mono, the decibel levels of the bass automatically increase [or something to that effect] and it will sound more prominent. No doubt the same would apply to the drums since you're now hearing it equally from both channels. "Love Bug" though was mixed as a single, so somebody put the work into getting that sound you like about this one.

I remember when I read those things about the dj monaural lps, it explained why I wasn't hearing that spectacular, hugeness of sound or anything radically different in the mixes with my mono "Sophisticated Soul" LP- except for "You're The One " and "Destination: Anywhere" which appeared in their singles mixes on the LP.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 03-15-2023 at 03:47 PM.

@Waiting,

That's so funny. I read that post which you quoted, and didn't even realize that I was the one who started this thread so long ago...! No wonder I agreed with what he said!

K