[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The 70s

The 70s

On another forum, we're all talking about our memories of the 70s. Tell us about your memories of the that crazy decade.

I became a teenager in 1975, so my memories of it are very fond.

Too many to recount here, but I'll give you one:
    I remember when the Louisville Cardinals became a basketball powerhouse with Darrell "Dr. Dunkenstein" Griffith, Milt Wagner, Scooter McCray, and Rodney McCray. Not only were the "doctors of dunk" the most exciting basketball team in college basketball, but they started a bona fide fashion trend by forgoing their afros for shorter hair cuts. It was almost sacrilegious where I lived. But, as they won more games, eventually winning a championship in 1980, the shorter hair cuts caught on and soon, the afro was gone as the black male "must have" look. Somehow in my mind, I kind of remembered the Cardinals with high and tights, where the hair was nearly bald.
    It blew my mind a few years ago when I found a few photos of them and this is what their hair looked like:
    Name:  Darrell Griffith.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  18.1 KB
    Imagine that: a sea shift in black hairdo and it was because the hair was only an inch or so long as opposed to three to six inches long. If someone was wearing their hair that long in 2012, their friends would wonder why they didn't just grow it out and lock it up. In my opinion, that was one of the most significant social changes of the '70s, eventually leading to brothers going completely bald with nary a funny look.

Here's to you '70s and the Doctors of Dunk!
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 06-11-2012 at 08:43 PM.

...left school ...first job ...first wife ...first house ...unemployed ...second job ...first child ...second child ...second house ...a decade of independence ...smoking ...growing up ...discovery ...and ambition ...!!!

Geez, without giving out too much information I have say I remember...finishing school...leaving home...leaving NY...
    leaving South Carolina...going into the army...Louisianna...Korea...a Dear John letter...marijuana...more marijuana...sexual
    recklessness...even more marijuana and FUNK on top of FUNK on top of Funk especially George Clintons machine which I've seen in more configurations and outlets than I can even remember...I am to happy to have grown up in the time I did
    and so lucky to still be here to talk about it....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Too many to recount here, but I'll give you one:
    I remember when the Louisville Cardinals became a basketball powerhouse with Darrell "Dr. Dunkenstein" Griffith, Milt Wagner, Scooter McCray, and Rodney McCray. Not only were the "doctors of dunk" the most exciting basketball team in college basketball, but they started a bona fide fashion trend by forgoing their afros for shorter hair cuts. It was almost sacrilegious where I lived. But, as they won more games, eventually winning a championship in 1980, the shorter hair cuts caught on and soon, the afro was gone as the black male "must have" look. Somehow in my mind, I kind of remembered the Cardinals with high and tights, where the hair was nearly bald.
    It blew my mind a few years ago when I found a few photos of them and this is what their hair looked like:
    Name:  Darrell Griffith.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  18.1 KB
    Imagine that: a sea shift in black hairdo and it was because the hair was only an inch or so long as opposed to three to six inches long. If someone was wearing their hair that long in 2012, their friends would wonder why they didn't just grow it out and lock it up. In my opinion, that was one of the most significant social changes of the '70s, eventually leading to brothers going completely bald with nary a funny look.

Here's to you '70s and the Doctors of Dunk!
    Do you remember a player named Truman Claytor?

july 1970 i left school.then went to hawaii,LA and NY for 2 weeks,a bit busy but worth it.i forget that nobody i knew had ever been there.it cost 10 weeks wages to get to honolulu [[uk av wage £20 a week) for one person that would be £3k now.thank the 747 for that!and the 70's made long haul travel normal not just the rich.
    then i joined the royal airforce on return.for the last 9 years of the 70's it was girls,clothes and records.what a blast that decade was.somewhere in the middle of it all i managed to fix some aircraft!i had the time of my life.went everywhere,saw nearly every soul/funk group/singers that came here.when i'm bolted to a zimmer frame i'll get my retrospective looking binoculars out and know i lived when i had the chance.
    when i left JFK in 70 the jet was throwing fuel out of a small wing tank panel.and i reported it to the crew.in the end it self sealed or more likely the fuel level dropped.in 1992 i was on on THAT same jet to fix some other things when i remembered this panel,10 minutes later i'd changed the seal so at least i knew it had been well and truly fixed 22 years later.who says you cant have job satisfaction.
    Last edited by tamla617; 06-12-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Do you remember a player named Truman Claytor?
    I'm afraid not. I did Google him and found out he played for Big Blue. Man, I hated Joe B. Hall and the Kentucky Wildcats! Still hate the Program [[I'm a UNC fan). Was Claytor an associate of yours?

OMG The 70's! A period of incredible change for me. As the decade started I was in 5th grade. By the end I was in college.All of my teenage years were spent in the 70's. My music taste went from The Jackson 5 to Black Sabbath to Herbie Hancock to P-Funk. Attended my first live concert. My dad bought my first drum set. I bought my first REAL drum set. Joined a major college marching band, landed my first professional music gig and my first recording session in '79. My first newspaper and magazine articles were published.

First kiss, first girlfriend, first...well, you know, met some lifetime friends and by the end of the decade I'd met the lady who would become my wife in the '80's. Traveled to The South and New York City for the first time. First job, first apartment on my own and course, first real stereo.

And don't get me started on the music - mama told me not to come;dream on, i'll be there, children of the grave, smokin in the boy's room, bennie & the jets, time in a bottle, listen to what the man said, who's that lady, Funky worm, doin it to death, shining star, kashmir, philadelphia freedom, flashlight, hang up your hang ups, mothership connection,
    china grove, josie, dreams, do you feel like we do, i wish, don't stop til you get enough, strawberry letter 23, superstition, do it baby, slide, one nation under a groove, bustin out, boogie oogie oogie, brickhouse dream weaver, superman lover, tenth av. freeze out, 25 or 6 two 4, you got the love, bootzilla and on and on...

Graduated from Eastern Michigan University in '71, moved from Ypsi to Colorado Springs in '73, moved to Washington State in '77. Probably THE defining moment in my life occured over the course of 4 or 5 days starting on Monday, May 4th, 1970.
    Last edited by Doug-Morgan; 06-14-2012 at 04:47 PM.