[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyfield View Post
    Mary could have still been out there touring with an authentic group of Supremes - just like Otis manages to do with his Temptations. Why she gave it up to start a solo career on 12th June 1977 is a mystery to me. She is ONLY known for one thing - The Supremes. She was once a part of the most iconic girl-group in the history of pop music. Personally, I think she should have stayed in the background, recruited GREAT singers like Jean/Scherrie/Lynda and still be out there giving the public what they really want - just like Otis has done successfully all these years. Sorry if this upsets some members but that's what I really think. Steve.
    Have you thought to consider that perhaps Ms. Wilson doesn't want to be out there touring with Jean, Scherrie or Lynda. Maybe she's happy on her own, with her own band and her own back up singers.

How do you know that the public really wants to see a grouping of 70's Supremes? I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think Mary Wilson is doing fine on her own. She's growing as an artist. She's getting great reviews for her Lena Horne project and seems to have moved on from all the bitterness with Diane Ross and the lawsuits with Motown. Ms. Wilson is touring here in the states and overseas and seems to be doing very well. The lady is 68 and has earned the right to do whatever she pleases.

There are some Supremes fans that seem unable to let go off the past. They fight over Return to love, pick apart every Mary and Diane interview and blindly praise one lady while viciously trashing the other lady. It's negative, childish and silly, especially when Diane and Mary have moved on and seem to be at peace with everything.

No disrespect to Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence or Scherrie Payne, but your comment about giving the people what they want is more than a tad exaggerated. Outside of us diehard Motown fans I think most of the general public couldn't name any of them if you dangled a photo of Jean, Lynda and Scherrie in their faces. And I mean no disrespect to either of these lovely ladies.

Regards,

Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta75; 06-10-2012 at 09:35 AM.

smark21 Guest
    I think Ivyfeld is one of those perverse Supremes fans who gets off when one of his favorite Supremes is victimized. And since neither Lynda or Susaye have been genuinely victimized in recent years, he has to grasp for straws or find any excuse to conjure up an example of victimization in order to get some deep seated pleasure and satisfaction. Deep seated grudge holding offers similar pleasures to those inclined as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyfield View Post
    Mary could have still been out there touring with an authentic group of Supremes - just like Otis manages to do with his Temptations. Why she gave it up to start a solo career on 12th June 1977 is a mystery to me. She is ONLY known for one thing - The Supremes. She was once a part of the most iconic girl-group in the history of pop music. Personally, I think she should have stayed in the background, recruited GREAT singers like Jean/Scherrie/Lynda and still be out there giving the public what they really want - just like Otis has done successfully all these years. Sorry if this upsets some members but that's what I really think. Steve.
    Sorry, but Otis' Temptations are a second rate version of themselves. They've become nothing but a tribute act. I've seen them in concert and the big guy who is doing the leads now doesn't bring any of the high quality class that the classic Temptations once had. He's terrible. Dennis Edwards' Temptations Revue captures the spirit and feel of the Temptations far better than Otis's grouping.

It's funny that you say Mary is only known for one thing which is the Supremes, but aren't all of the ladies known for that too? Sure they have all done other things and we the fans know their other work, but to the public would they really know what other things Jean Terrell has done other than replacing Diana Ross in the group or what Lynda has done other than replace Cindy Birdsong for a year and a half?

Mary may not have had number one singles as a solo artist or hit the charts, but she has really made a success for herself. Name me other background singers from other groups that have achieved the same level success that Mary has had. Sure Mary is known for being a Supreme, but I'll tell you she wears that name with pride.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I have seen Mary Wilson solo twice in concert, and my opinion based on those performances is that her voice is strong enough to maintain a successful solo career. Unfortunately, this has never been replicated in the studio, and I blame her various record producers for that.
    I totally agree with this post. Mary is good singing lead and it's a shame it took her so long to find her voice. I do not agree she should have remained in the background like Otis has. Yes Scherrie and Lynda have great voices and Mary Wilson has one also. At times I wished she would have stay with the Supremes and at other times I'm glad she moved on. Should Mary had stayed with the Supremes it should have been MCS or MSS those ladies worked really well together. The JMC line up was excellent also. Although there were good voices in JML line up, they didn't seem to gel as well together as the other two line ups.
    BTW would Lynda and Scherrie want to tour with Mary as the Supremes?
    Last edited by rod_rick; 06-10-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Have you thought to consider that perhaps Ms. Wilson doesn't want to be out there touring with Jean, Scherrie or Lynda. Maybe she's happy on her own, with her own band and her own back up singers.

How do you know that the public really wants to see a grouping of 70's Supremes? I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think Mary Wilson is doing fine on her own. She's growing as an artist. She's getting great reviews for her Lena Horne project and seems to have moved on from all the bitterness with Diane Ross and the lawsuits with Motown. Ms. Wilson is touring here in the states and overseas and seems to be doing very well. The lady is 68 and has earned the right to do whatever she pleases.

There are some Supremes fans that seem unable to let go off the past. They fight over Return to love, pick apart every Mary and Diane interview and blindly praise one lady while viciously trashing the other lady. It's negative, childish and silly, especially when Diane and Mary have moved on and seem to be at peace with everything.

No disrespect to Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence or Scherrie Payne, but your comment about giving the people what they want is more than a tad exaggerated. Outside of us diehard Motown fans I think most of the general public couldn't name any of them if you dangled a photo of Jean, Lynda and Scherrie in their faces. And I mean no disrespect to either of these lovely ladies.

Regards,

Roberta

I completely agree.

At times, I've wished that the Supremes had carried on. If they had, it would have to be Mary that continued them; I think it was best for her and Diana to call it to an end in 1977 and not let them become a tribute act. But I do think if Mary had continued, there may have been a time when the Supremes revived much like the Temptations did at times - for example, Phoenix Rising. At present, I agree that the Temptations are just a tribute act as well ~ but that name is very valuable.

Regardless of opinions about the quality of the voices of various Supremes, Mary has survived; she continues to work, travels the world probably at the expense of those that book her, and gives interviews ~ and at 68, that is saying something. Just for the fact she was in the definitive female group of the 60's, she will always be remembered.

Absolutely, jobeterob.

Mary's talent and drive, now so evident, must always have been there, just rather more buried in her personality.

For so long Mary was, as Smokey Robinson might have said, 'a sleeping giant', until her self-belief has, in more recent times, come forth fully from within.

If her group could rightly be described as the definitive female group from a decade half a century ago - and two original members of that group are still working, plus the succeeding members - it must surely be a fair assessment to describe The Supremes, to date, as the most definitive female group of all time.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 06-11-2012 at 03:29 AM.

If her group could rightly be described as the definitive female group from a decade half a century ago - and two original members of that group are still working, plus the succeeding members - it must surely be a fair assessment to describe The Supremes, to date, as the most definitive female group of all time.

This has probably nothing to do with anything related to this thread; most likely it's comparing apples to oranges, but:

Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child is performing at Minneapolis Gay Pride this year. In a parking lot. For being out of her group less than a decade, I think this is a pretty big fall. Of course, all of the queens are excited.....

Mary on the otherhand, being out of her group for more than 3 decades is playing Vegas, traveling and performing in Europe, and is getting rave reviews for her "Up Close" and "Lena" shows.

While I don't know if Mary is ONLY known for being a Supreme, she sure has built a career out of her "ooooohs", "ahhhhhs" and "baby babys".

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

This has probably nothing to do with anything related to this thread; most likely it's comparing apples to oranges, but:

Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child is performing at Minneapolis Gay Pride this year. In a parking lot. For being out of her group less than a decade, I think this is a pretty big fall. Of course, all of the queens are excited.....

Mary on the otherhand, being out of her group for more than 3 decades is playing Vegas, traveling and performing in Europe, and is getting rave reviews for her "Up Close" and "Lena" shows.

While I don't know if Mary is ONLY known for being a Supreme, she sure has built a career out of her "ooooohs", "ahhhhhs" and "baby babys".
    Hey Marybrewster
    I would to know how much Kelly is being paid before I would say that's a big fall for her performace in a parking lot for gay pride.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Uh Oh.........parking lots are honing in on Chantel Baker's territory....you know, the one that replaced Jean Terrell in The Supremes!

I thought that Kelly Rowland had done quite well considering how big a star Beyonce has become. But comparing Destinys Child to the Supremes isn't really a fair comparison because they are 40 years apart and the ability to promote and advertise and trade information is incredibly different. Has Kelly not had a #1 album or at least a Top 10 album? I think if the Supremes broke up today, Mary Wilson would have a much better chance of being successful than she did in 1967 to 1980 ~ so long as she had the confidence to pursue a solo career.

With respect to the interview, I still wonder why Mary feels she needs to apologize to Kelly for the Motown 50 appearance? Kelly apparently did not "have" to do the show if she didn't want to. While it might have been a ragged show, I don't think it hurt Kelly's career ~ and I think she has had a fairly successful career thus far.

Kelly has two Top 10 Pop Albums, a #1 and a #1 Hip Hop/R & B album, a#1 R & B Hip Hop Song, and a #1 Dance/Club Play song ~ not an extensive history, but not too shabby, especially for someone that came out of the shadow of Beyonce.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Uh Oh.........parking lots are honing in on Chantel Baker's territory....you know, the one that replaced Jean Terrell in The Supremes!
    You're wrong. She replaced Freda Payne!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

You're wrong. She replaced Freda Payne!
    Yes, Brad....I stand corrected. Somehow, when it comes to Chantel's history....things get kinda blurry. Something Chantet periodically experiences in interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I thought that Kelly Rowland had done quite well considering how big a star Beyonce has become. But comparing Destinys Child to the Supremes isn't really a fair comparison because they are 40 years apart and the ability to promote and advertise and trade information is incredibly different. Has Kelly not had a #1 album or at least a Top 10 album? I think if the Supremes broke up today, Mary Wilson would have a much better chance of being successful than she did in 1967 to 1980 ~ so long as she had the confidence to pursue a solo career.

With respect to the interview, I still wonder why Mary feels she needs to apologize to Kelly for the Motown 50 appearance? Kelly apparently did not "have" to do the show if she didn't want to. While it might have been a ragged show, I don't think it hurt Kelly's career ~ and I think she has had a fairly successful career thus far.
    Motown 45.

Kelly has two Top 10 Pop Albums, a #1 and a #1 Hip Hop/R & B album, a#1 R & B Hip Hop Song, and a #1 Dance/Club Play song ~ not an extensive history, but not too shabby, especially for someone that came out of the shadow of Beyonce.
    But still is playing a parking lot this June in Minneapolis.

Well, Mary, perhaps there is only enough room for one really big star out of a group and the light they cast makes it close to impossible for others to survive.

Where is this parking lot?

Did she leave the X Factor or whatever show she was judging?

Kelly had a really big hit in Europe in 2009 with David Guetta: When Love Takes Over! Since then she is seen as a dance diva and that is why she is performing at a gay pride party!

All I am doing is stating the facts.

Kelly is performing at Gay Pride. The venue is a parking lot.

I didn't book her and it's not my fault it's a parking lot. It's really not that difficult to understand.

I searched Kelly Rowland and she appears to do quite a large number of Gay Pride concert dates and most of them are outside ~ she appears to know an audience she appeals to and goes for it.

This is what else Wkipedia says about her; she's done pretty well especially considered how overshadowed she was.

Kelly Rowland [[born Kelendria Trene Rowland on February 11, 1981) is an American recording artist, songwriter, dancer, actress and television personality. Born in Atlanta, Georgia and raised in Houston, Texas, Rowland rose to fame as one of the founding members of the American R&B girl group Destiny's Child, one of the world's best-selling girl groups of all time.

During the hiatus of Destiny's Child, Rowland released her debut solo album Simply Deep in 2002, which contained influences of alternative-R&B and rock music. It included her joint worldwide number-one single "Dilemma" with rapper Nelly, and the international top-ten hit "Stole". Following the group's disbandment in 2005, Rowland released her second solo effort Ms. Kelly in 2007 and despite being less successful than its predecessor, it included the international hit singles "Like This" and "Work". In 2009, Rowland scored her second worldwide number-one hit with French DJ David Guetta, on his single "When Love Takes Over". Her third solo album Here I Am was released in 2011 and included the UK top-ten hits "Commander" and "Down for Whatever", as well as the US R&B number-one "Motivation".

As a solo artist, Rowland has amassed estimated sales of four million albums and 18 million lead/featured singles worldwide.[2] Her work has earned her several achievements, including a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame with Destiny's Child, four Grammy Awards, two Billboard Music Awards, and a Soul Train Music Award. Rowland has been honored by the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers [[ASCAP) and Essence magazine for her contributions to music.

Apart from her work in music, Rowland has also launched a career in film and television. In 2002, she made her acting debut with guest appearances on sitcom series The Hughleys and Taina, prior to appearing in various films, including Freddy vs. Jason [[2003), The Seat Filler [[2004) and Think Like a Man [[2012). In 2007, Rowland appeared as a choirmaster on the reality show Clash of the Choirs, and in 2009 she served as the host on Bravo's reality competition series The Fashion Show alongside Isaac Mizrahi. In 2011, Rowland joined the judging panel on the eighth series of The X Factor [[UK), but left after one season

She even says she needs to apologize to Kelly Rowland for how badly that Supremes reunion with Cindy Birdsong went off; she doesn't specifically say what she thought was so bad about it, but it was suggested at the time that it was nearly pulled from the show because it wasn't a good performance.
    I seem to recall reading that Mary behaved badly backstage. She was yelling at Cindy. Anyone remember this?

We have drifted far off the topic but I would venture a guess that to Ms. Rowland it isn't about the parking lot at all but it is about the paycheck.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I seem to recall reading that Mary behaved badly backstage. She was yelling at Cindy. Anyone remember this?
    I don't remember because I wasn't there. Were you?

Carlo- I'm trying to be nice. Why can't you do the same? You are not Mary Wilson's man, bodyguard or caretaker. It has been asked why Mary feels she should apologize to Kelly for M45. I simply stated what I recall reading. Why are you taking things so personal these days and acting so pissy?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Carlo- I'm trying to be nice. Why can't you do the same? You are not Mary Wilson's man, bodyguard or caretaker. It has been asked why Mary feels she should apologize to Kelly for M45. I simply stated what I recall reading. Why are you taking things so personal these days and acting so pissy?
    Skool dem, the previous statement I had posted was simply tongue in cheek. I can post whatever I want. Perhaps you should not be so sensitive. I seem to recall one instance in the past where I called you out on being "cranky" and you took offense to that. That's when I decided to apologize to you. Now you're calling me "pissy"? lol. Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

I am not going to go back and forth with you about this.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I don't remember because I wasn't there. Were you?
    Mary did not behave badly, show out or anything of the sort. She did not yell at Cindy Birdsong.......all urban myth [[READ: Lies!).

Some might recall that Mary had just suffered a mild stroke the month before the taping of this program and had performed a 2 hour show the evening before in Vegas. That was more than enough to account for her "off performance" on Motown 45.

Skooldem's suggestion makes sense; for Mary to say she needed to apologize, she must feel there is a reason.

That performance was very ragged and I didn't think they looked very Supreme ~ the look was the worst of it. And several sections didn't sound like the Supremes of old; they sounded like a weak parody or a ragged tribute to Jean and Diana.

It makes sense that Mary might have been very frustrated by what she knew was not going to be a good performance and Kelly got caught in the middle.

But I didn't read anything about what happened; all I recall is that the Supremes segment was nearly pulled from the live telecast and the compromise was to put it out front at the beginning of the broadcast. All in all, I didn't think it was that bad.......it's nothing anyone but the core fans would ever remember.

Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

Amen Jesus!

Skooldem's suggestion makes sense; for Mary to say she needed to apologize, she must feel there is a reason.

That performance was very ragged and I didn't think they looked very Supreme ~ the look was the worst of it. And several sections didn't sound like the Supremes of old; they sounded like a weak parody or a ragged tribute to Jean and Diana.

It makes sense that Mary might have been very frustrated by what she knew was not going to be a good performance and Kelly got caught in the middle.

But I didn't read anything about what happened; all I recall is that the Supremes segment was nearly pulled from the live telecast and the compromise was to put it out front at the beginning of the broadcast. All in all, I didn't think it was that bad.......it's nothing anyone but the core fans would ever remember.
    Marybrewster
    I agree with your statement and would add the politics of the entire supreme situation.

smark21 Guest
    Well it should be added that last summer, both Mary Wilson and Aretha Franklin both performed in a parking lot at Coney Island for the Brooklyn Coney Island Summer Concert series. The space where those concerts are held is a school bus parking lot during the school year. For festivals there’s no shame playing a parking lot if a good stage has been set up, chairs set out, and there’s a space for picnickers and dancers, and the cars have been cleared out. Shantel Baker’s parking lot concerts are the real deal on the other hand, based on clips I’ve seen as there are cars on the lot and she doesn’t have much of a stage to work with. So respect to the supreme supreme Shantel Baker for keeping it real with her parking lot shows.

The parking lot is meaningless; as Smark says, some are great places to play; some suck.

Kelly and Mary have parallel careers at different times; it was easier for Kelly than Mary because it is so much easier to promote yourself now and trade information.

This is perhaps Mary Wilson's definitive late stage interview and it really dumps many of the perceptions and misconceptions about her.

...YOUR FRIENDS' ACTIVITY1-0 of nullprev next ...
    ......Mary Wilson Of The Supremes On ‘Dreamgirls,’ ‘Sparkle,’ Diana Ross And Kelly Rowland
    ..By Billy Johnson, Jr.
    .Posts .By Billy Johnson, Jr. | Hip-Hop Media Training – Fri, 8 Jun, 2012 3:00 PM EDT
    EmailPrint.....Whitney Houston's last movie "Sparkle" will be released in August and tells the story of three sisters from Detroit and their pursuit of singing careers. The remake of the 1976 film and another project, the "Dreamgirls" movie and play, are based, to some extent, on the story of The Supremes.

The Supremes member Mary Wilson has mixed feelings about the works. "I think it's wonderful to be emulated and liked so much that people want to do that," she said during part two of an exclusive video interview with Yahoo! Music to celebrate Black Music Month. "And I got to say that I adore 'Dreamgirls.' And though [[the original) 'Sparkle' was very good, in fact, they have the new one coming out with Whitney Houston and Jordin, she's wonderful, too. But the thing is, Why didn't they make a story out of my book? It's a real story. A true story.

"So even though I love 'Dreamgirls,' the thing is Why didn't they say this is about The Supremes? Maybe, they didn't want to pay someone? But they used all of our history, all of our legacy. They used it. It's hard because it was a beautiful project, a documentation of what was. If it wasn't about us, I would say, 'Yes it's great.' I can't say I hate it because I don't. But it's not fair because if I want to do a movie based on The Supremes, I couldn't do it because it's already been done."

Wilson did find one way to capitalize off of the 1981 "Dreamgirls" Broadway production. "I named my book 'Dreamgirl [My Life As A Supreme']' after I saw the play. Well, if they didn't pay me or Diane or anyone for using our images, then, I can probably use that name, and it was a best seller, too."

[Part 1: Mary Wilson On Being Dubbed 'The No Hit Supremes' And Never Liking Their First No. 1 Hit 'Where Did Our Love Go']

Mary Wilson [[photo: Derick Tortorella)One of the roughest stages for The Supremes was the firing of Florence Ballard in 1967 during their dates at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas. For Wilson, that signaled the end.

"The group was over when Florence left," Wilson said. "For me, the group was over. [Then] a lot of times recordings were being made, maybe if I was not there, they would go on and do it. And then, 'Well, OK. Nobody's on the there but Diane.' But not her fault, either. But I'm just saying, the machine was going, going on. For me it was the end when Florence left. Then, when Diane left it was totally over."

Ballard was originally the lead singer of the group. When the Motown executives made Ross the voice, the friction among the members ensued. A frustrated Ballard began drinking heavily, gaining weight and being disgruntled which ultimately lead to her termination.

Dealing with Ballard's departure was tough for Wilson." It's a little harder being in a girl group," she said. "Guys can be in a group and fight and come back and be buddies." Wilson said Ballard, who was abused as a child, struggled to deal with the group's problems.

The Supremes"Diane and I thought that fame would take care of it, unfortunately it did not," Wilson said. "What happened was everything that would happen in the group that was kinda negative or whatever, she couldn't handle that. That's when she started drinking. She couldn't cope with what was going on. It was a tough time for me."

Despite the revolving member changes in the group, Wilson said The Supremes were never able to capture their old chemistry. "I learned that after the original group it was never ever the same," she said. "The magic we had, the synergy was just so … it was like we must of played that before we came here."

Wilson said she was instrumental in calling for The Supremes to close shop in 1977. Though she was eager to move into the next phase of her career, she was nervous.

"I was totally scared," she said. "I was very afraid. But, at the same time, I love doing this. I can't stop because everyone else stopped. I know I don't have the same great voice like Diane or Jean [Terrell, who replaced Ross]. But, I enjoy performing, and I'm a great performer. I may not be a great singer, but I am a great performer."

Wilson said it was not easy establishing herself as a solo artist after The Supremes ended and she compares her plight to former Destiny's Child member Kelly Rowland.

"She's finding her niche, coming out of a group and is a beautiful individual," Wilson said about Rowland. "It's very difficult, but it can be done … You've got to really want to do that and that way it will work."

Like The Supremes became centered about Ross, Rowland's group Destiny's Child was headed by Beyonce. "Same as our situation," Wilson said. "No one thought I was going to be out there doing what I've done."

Though Wilson and Ross' differences have been discussed in the media over the years, Wilson said they do care about each other. "Being girls is not easy. Not easy to communicate and stay friends when you got your boyfriend, husband, the company. You got all these things coming at you. It's not the kind of thing that keeps you together. Our friendship kinda ended after. We were friends first. We went through all these great things together and then pretty soon it did whatever. But it was never animosity between us. We really, really love each other, still do. But maybe Diane and I are not close, but we still love each other. It's just she went her way and I had to go this way, and that's it."

Wilson is keeping busy. She has a new CD, "Life's Been Good To Me," that has reteamed her with Motown's famous Holland-Dozier-Holland camp. She's promoting the re-release of "The Supremes At The Copa" and she is starring in the tribute review, "Lena Horne Project."

Wilson hopes The Supremes are remembered for their accomplishments. "I think we were one of the greatest groups in terms of achieving certain things, certainly not in terms of voice, because The Pointer Sisters for me is my favorite group," she said. "We were just great friends. People forget that. We were great friends."

The Supremes are the spotlight group this month in Yahoo! Music's Best Soul Girl Groups Of All Time tribute for Black Music Month. A different act will be profiled everyday. The list includes African American women from a variety of genres — R&B, pop, gospel and rap — who were trailblazers and paved the way for those who followed.