[REMOVE ADS]

What CD sets would you like to see released?

I would like to see a complete Solar/Constellation Records singles collection. I don't believe any significant collections have ever been issued. But, all the way from 1975, when the seeds of the label were planted by Dick Griffey and Don Cornelius in the form of Soul Train Records, the label has put out an incredible run of albums and singles. Of course, such project would involve a lot of cross-licensing between Unidisc, EMI, and Universal.

I would like to see that compilation, as well. I'd be happy to have a five or six CD set of SOLAR music. I think that Leon Sylvers is the single most under-appreciated artist [[and especially bassist) from the late '70s and '80s. His work with Shalamar, the Whispers, and countless other acts was consistent and superior.

I'd also like to see a set of music composed by Reggie Andrews and Leon "Ndugu" Chancler. I used to buy albums by unknown artists just because those two were producing them. Typically, I enjoyed the albums immensely.

The other set that I would love to see would be a complete compilation of records produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. These two were the most dominant and consistent producers in R&B for the better part of two decades. A set with Alexander O'Neal, Cherrelle, Pebbles, Karyn White, Janet Jackson, Human League, Morris Day, SOS Band, and others would be a perfect gift for me at Christmas time. My only question is why they never produced themselves.

I may have enough Solar singles to create a best-of set myself, but it won't be complete. The key for me is to use single versions.

I'll compile a list of songs then do some research.

I recently digitized an album by Collage, which I believe was on Constellation. It had several excellent songs that I never heard on radio but were good reflections of Griffey's production and sound. It would definitely be on the track list of my compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I recently digitized an album by Collage, which I believe was on Constellation. It had several excellent songs that I never heard on radio but were good reflections of Griffey's production and sound. It would definitely be on the track list of my compilation.
    We should collaborate! Between us, we could probably create a very nice set ourselves! We both have singles the other doesn't have.

I'm good with that. How about we each put together a SOLAR track list and I'll send what you don't have and vice versa?