[REMOVE ADS]

Love Train/Supremes

I would like to know why The Supremes version of this song was not released as a single? Personally I think it would have been a hit for them.

It's just another cover, perhaps to fill up album. Yes, I have heard it, on my Supremes "Gold" CD, which reproduced the Jean-Scherrie Greatest Hits album, that included song in it for some reason. Sorry, after one listen to me, still holds no candle to the O'Jays.

Its a great song and performance but it had been such a massive hit recently already so I don't think radio would've embraced it at all. If it had been radically reinterpreted possibly [[for example the way Vanilla Fudge radically altered You Keep Me Hanging On) but it's a straight ahead cover thats pretty faithful to the O'Jays version.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Its a great song and performance but it had been such a massive hit recently already so I don't think radio would've embraced it at all. If it had been radically reinterpreted possibly [[for example the way Vanilla Fudge radically altered You Keep Me Hanging On)

...Or Kim Wilde.

Yeah, that cover, like most other filler covers [[such as also the Supremes' cover of Laura Nyro's "Time and Love" on their "Touch" album, or their covers of the Four Tops' "I Can't Help Myself", the Temptations' "Get Ready", the Elgins' "Put Yourself In My Place" and a handful of others on their "Supremes A' Go-Go" album, their cover of Bobby Taylor & the Vancouver's "Does Your Mama Know About Me" on their "Love Child" album), if it's playing too safe, note-by-note, it's just not that special, not their own.

Not to say all album track covers are filler-feeling: Take High Inergy's "Everytime I See You, I Go Wild"; Stevie Wonder's original version was pretty rockin Motown sounded enough as it was; High Inergy's, my opinion, turned it into pretty sizzling disco!

It was a good version [[the way they did it live wa MUCH better). The recorded version would have been more interesting had they let the other ladies Mary,etc carry some of the lead and pump the backgrounds up just slightly.

Jean, Mary and Lynda recorded that song for an lp inclusion after the failure of the Jim Webb lp and as Bad Weather was in the process of tanking. Jean Terrell announced her departure shortly after this recording was done. It was first issued in the UK with a different mix on one of The Motown Sound collections and then here in the US for the first time on The Supremes At Their Best. I agree that live the ladies kicked it. Jean didn't sound all that great on the recorded version

I don't mind being in the minority. I love it and it's one of my favourites of all time from the Jean led Supremes.

I think Up the Ladder to the Roof, Stoned Love Floy Joy & Bad Weather are the four best sounding Supremes songs after Ross bolted from the group. I will add Your Wonderul Sweet Love after these four. I agree Love Train was just a filler, but it had a funky flair.

Did was Love Train in the live show with Jean, Mary & Lynda? I've only heard it done live by Mary, Cindy & Scherrie.

Yes it was a cover song but it was good enough to release as a single and I do believe it could have reached the top 30 at the least. Which is more than what the Supremes had the last year and a half. Of course this is all speculation.

I thought Precious Little Things and 530 Plane and Over and Over were better potential singles than Love Train. Their Love Train was fine; it just wasn't going to be a hit so quickly again.

hard to believe they could've gone wrong with this song. but would they have been regarded as being 70's hip by going Philly ?

or would some have assigned it as an act of desperation by a 60's act to be 70's cool .

So what's sufficiently different to this version [as far as I can see or hear nothing] to make it into a hit, after the O'Jays had made the song an International seller, had that not been the case who knows.

ANYTHING would have been better than the disaster that was "Bad Weather"..ugh..

honest man Guest
    Another album track,if that .Rather bland has never done anything for me But glad i heard it. cheers.

My time line must be wrong here.

I had thought that this was touted as a single for The Supremes but before they came to a decision The O'Jays version was released and became a hit thus killing the idea?

smark21 Guest
    Anyone know when JML recorded Love Train? I can’t imagine it being anything other than a cover of a huge hit meant for possible inclusion as a filler track on an album. Nice take, but The O’Jays PIR cut is so far superior in every way—production, arrangement and vocals.

This Love Train video was quite cute, however the video footage of the Supremes is from the Flip Wilson show and they were singing "Your Wonderful Sweet Love" but it is hard to tell, from watching the footage, which i HAVE A COPY OF. i love the train and the people forming a Love Train. i don't remember JML singing Love Train on tv, and I don't believe Motown was interested in promoting it. but they did sing "Bad Weather" and it popped. I love Bad Weather and I will never stop parading it as one of the Supremes top failures of the 70's, and it was one of the group's most soulful tunes, Mary thought the song was great, and was upset with Jean and Lynda for not promoting it by making appearance as was Motown for not pushing it.

Lesson Learned: if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Did was Love Train in the live show with Jean, Mary & Lynda? I've only heard it done live by Mary, Cindy & Scherrie.
    Yes, Lynda performed it live first [[she's on the recording, not Cindy) and Cindy did it when she returned and Scherrie stepped into Jean's shoes. Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    hard to believe they could've gone wrong with this song. but would they have been regarded as being 70's hip by going Philly ?

or would some have assigned it as an act of desperation by a 60's act to be 70's cool .
    HA! Fun to see the video I made for the extended version a while ago. Thanks! Steve Weaver.

This song has no punch compared to the Ojays version. I dont think its bad but the production is not that great the backgrounds should be higher, and more bass should have been added. Philly International had nothing to worry about.
    Great filler though for an album. For the life of me everyone here in DC loved Bad Weather its a shame it was not a big hit I thought it would have been.