[REMOVE ADS]

Sonny Eliot retires....to Enga-ringa-dinga-dine?

My brother sent me a note the other day that said Sonny Eliot, who has been doing TV and radio weather in Detroit since 1947 [[!), retired Friday at the age of 89. Eliot is as much of a Detroit icon as Jingles, B'wana Don, Milky The Clown, Jo Mendi or anyone else you've like to name. This clip made me homesick.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZD-gKG5-g8

May his retirement be full of Suarm [[sunny and warm) days.

I'm suprised and pleased to know he is still around, Doug. I grew up watching the guy on early TV. He is a Detroit icon in the world of local television.

He has done Weather on Radio WWJ and I just heard him not long ago..and thought HOLY F***Kballs he has to be near 100.....and I wasn't far off..89!

First of all I cannot believe I am reading this. Sonny Eliot is still around? Also, that he is now 89 years old? Unbelievable! I too grew up watching Sonny do the weather on Channel 4 [[remember when it was WWJ?) I also remember watching "Sonny Eliot at the Zoo" as a kid. I am very happy to know that he is still with us. God Bless him.

Sonny Eliot was WWJ-TV Channel 4! Remember Dave Diles on Ch 7?

Marv,
    I remember Diles had an evening sports call-in show on the radio. He would always say he was standing by with his TWO packs of Salems, waiting to take calls. TWO PACKS, Marv! Those were the good old days.

Ralph, everybody smoked in those days! Remember when you could smoke on planes? Heck, I had teachers that would take a break and go smoke in the halls! LOL! The last hold out at Detroit Metro was the Sky Sports Bar where everyone went there to smoke. They had to ban it beginning May 1 of this year.

I believe the other long time weathercaster in Detroit, Jerry Hodak, announced his pending retirement earlier this summer. Hodak was a fixture at WJBK for years. I remember the news team of Jack LeGoff, Hodak and Van Patrick [[with Wayne Walker on weekends).

Jerry Hodak is another long time favorite. Al Ackerman and Ray Lane two more for the Golden Age of local Detroit television. The KING was Bill Bonds! LOL!!!!!