[REMOVE ADS]

A nice tribute to Teddy Pendergrass

Really, I don't knows if really this is a "tribute" or not in a self-consciously way, this record is from 2010, the same year Teddy sadly passed away.

Anyway, here's a great cover of "Turn Off The Light" by India, with Tito Puente, Count Bassie Orchestra and arranged by Vincent Montana, Jr.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLFWerawp_M

[[I always tought about this ballad that have a certain "latin feel"...).

Cheers

India with the late Tito Puente did an excellent version of Going Out Of My Head and though I have it
    I couldn't find it on youtube, manny. Anyway, thanks for posting this...

Thanks to you for your interesting comment. This Little Anthony classic should be nice in this hot female voice. The little I have heard until now by India is some youtube videos and many times her tracks on Nuyorican Soul by Masters At Work where she have done a great cover of Loleatta Holloway's Runnaway. I always found very funny when a soul classic is covered by a latin or boogaloo artist, i.e. Al Escobar's "Tighten Up", Joe Battaan's "Shaft" or Charanga 76 "No now moverán" [[Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now)...

cheers to all

India used to call herself La India and has worked in different genres and settings from jazz to salsa to House music.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "funny" because latin artists have been covering and creating their own
    soul classics since the 60's. Joe Bataan, who actually is Afro-filipino and still working I should add was a big fan of
    Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes and among others The Intruders...

Hello again, Splanky

Sure I don't have been explained well enough before, my english is not fine and something like the "spanglish" by many latin singers [[heheheh!). The fact I found funny is precisely when boogaloo artists made a cover of a soul classic that I knows before by the original artists and they covered partially or totally in spanish. The first time I heard "Shaft" by Joe Bataan I laugh a lot when he says at the end of the song: "tú me dices a mi que este hombre es Shaft,... pues calla la boca!; estás hablando con Shaft" [["You says to me this man is Shaft... close the mouth! you're talking with Shaft". The same when I heard "Aprieta" [["Tighten Up") by Al Escobar. This Teddy's cover by La India ends with spanish chorus that says "apaga, apaga, apaga - la - lú" and results to me very funny too... And yes, I know Battaan is afro-filipino but he was the king of boogaloo, a latin style and much before I was noticed he made covers of The Intruder's hits I tought he got a way of sing and soundalike as Little Sonny. One of my fave CD's is his "Call My Name" edited in Spain by Vampisoul. A clear example of "spanglish" is the english on wich sings Charo in her first recordings with The Salsoul Orchestra.

Cheers!
    Last edited by manny; 06-05-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: ortography