[REMOVE ADS]

How should a fitting Carolyn Crawford greatest hits / anthology CD set be done?

Really, these days, finding each classic Motown artists [[including Barbara McNair and Billy Eckstine, whom both of their CD set’s ludicrously expensive, which means I hope both receives another printing someday if I want to get them) from the Golden Period, with all their great songs, readily available on CD, with Eddie Holland and Shorty Long recently given treatment. Carolyn Crawford….still only on various artists collections, such as Hitsville USA 1959-1971, two or three Complete Motown boxed sets, and some Cellarfulls…

Soooooo, how could an individual artist Carolyn Crawford’s be done? Perhaps, with given permission of copyrights from Brunswick and Mercury, her few singles on Motown, plus Cellarfull pieces and other unreleased vault material, along with hearty handfuls of her later “Caroline Crawford” work, and some collaborations with Hamilton Bohannon?
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-29-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Everything she's ever recorded minus ALL Ian Levine productions!....

And soonest so that she can enjoy some royalties.

I'd like to see carolyn's Motown material combined with other neglected girl singers like LaBrenda Benn for example, as this may be the only way we'll ever see their material released. if Hip-O aren't interested, then maybe Ace could be persuaded.

I would be happy with Carolyn's Ian Levine recordings to be included. I loved "Timeless" and her live performance of "Since I Lost My Baby" on the Motorcity tour was superb. I considered her Motorcity album to be the best on the label.

I don`t like mixed label releases, but I`m in favour of motown david`s idea.There is enough tracks for this to be viable.What about a Hattie Littles / Liz Lands release as well ?

Yeah, Kent really does seem to be possibly, one of the few only outlets who might possibly take a chance on such a project, seeing their back catalog giving Eddie Holland, Shorty Long, Monitors, and Patrice Holloway a shot at reissue, along with others who may have had a hit there, but a lot more misses, according to the public, the first time around.

But really, Carolyn Crawford, just about everything I’ve listened from her, purely sounds like music to my ears! Ever since listening to her legendary “My Smile Is Just A Frown [[Turned Upside Down)” on my now long-too-scratched-up Hitsville USA Motown Singles 1959-1971 set, her precious, most innocently girlish voice always was a most rare gem, amongst her more established peers.

I am sure, at least for her Motown material, her three A-and-B single sides, added with material formely Cellar-Fulled [[ Highly recommend all give a full ear to “Until You Came Along”) and other unreleased material [[really, you should check out how many of them were there on Chris Clark’s anthology!), I’m sure, could at least cover a full CD worth of material, to save someone quite a lot if one plans to buy a Complete Motown Singles Vol.3 off of Amazon, just for “Forget Me”, for instance.

And of course, if a second disc could be done, like an Anthology format usually is at least two records / cassettes / CDs / ect, why not her later works? While she was an underused child prodigy who was given little release [[ I guess, business was just business at Motown) indeed, was not the end; rather the beginning. Having listened to Bohannon’s “Get On Up And Dance” quite a few times before I learned it, I admit, I was delightfully surprised that it was Carolyn, then a woman, whom provided those female vocals, that completely torn the roof out of that jam!
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-29-2012 at 06:19 PM.

I did not know that Ms. Crawford was on Bohannons Get On Up And Dance, I never would have guessed that in a million years.
    I would imagine that working with the prolific Mr. Robinson, that there are a number of unreleased tracks out there which combined with what is available up to this point, would fill out a CD of the Motown material. I was listening to Until You Came Along recently, and was thinking that while Smokey wrote for Mary Wells and Brenda Holloway, what an excellent selection to have Ms. Crawford do the song. I also agree, could we please do this while the artist could enjoy the release.

Who was lead singer on the Hodges, James, Smith & Crawford single on Mpingo, I'm In Love/ Nobody?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  21.1 KB
    I wouldn't want a mixed Motown/non-Motown CD of hers. But, being as there would be about 14-16 cuts by Linda Griner in The Vaults together with her one released 45, and, roughly, a like number of Carolyn's cuts, a 30-35 cut split of those two Motown artists sounds good to me. Again, I wouldn't want a combination of Linda Griner [[AKA Lyn Roman) Motown/non-Motown cuts.

So it seems that most are in favour of a Motown girl release, sing Carolyn with other ladies who haven't enough tracks to make up a complete CD of their own. I'd go with that. Maybe Harry will read this thread and he'll at least think about this idea. Put me down for a copy!

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Everything she's ever recorded minus ALL Ian Levine productions!....
    I second that emotion..!

Yes i also agree to keep it purely Motown.
    Her albums "My name is Caroline" and "Nice and Soulful" are on CD already.

Given the outstanding work undertaken with Tammi Terrell's multi-label "Come See About Me" album I can see no reason for this being just a Motown release if the same care is taken.

Since My Name Is Caroline and Nice N Soulful are/were available on cd already, I would like to see Carolyn's Motown songs and her Philly Int'l songs [[including the rumored unreleased PI album) release on one cd. Bonus tracks could include the Hodges, James, Smith & Crawford singles.