[REMOVE ADS]

Favorite Bee Gees track/recording

Would greatly appreciate it if forum members would share their favorite Bee Gees single/album track/recording. If listing several tracks, please note which ONE is your FAVORITE.

My favorite is "Fanny".

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,
    When I first saw this I was going to say Fanny but since you have I will say New York Mining Disaster! One of the best I love it and Boogie Child.
    Stephanie

Love You Inside Out

First of May
    You Win Again
    To Love Somebody

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    If listing several tracks, please note which ONE is your FAVORITE.
    Just ONE? Not possible!

Fanny was one of their best, for sure. I also like You Should Be Dancing and Lonely Days.

I also like what Maurice or the Bee Gees did with others: Woman In Love, Heartbreaker, I Love Being In Love With You.

without a doubt.."This Is Where I Came In" I can listen to it again and again...and often do.

smark21 Guest
    How deep is Your Love.

The entire Main Course LP. Nights On Broadway is the perfect kickoff and it captivates me right through the fade out of Baby As You Turn Away. Hard to find a bad song in their catalog though......

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    How deep is Your Love.
    ^^ This ^^

Night Fever ... followed closely by How Deep is Your Love and Jive Talkin'. Love the group.

Ok, "Night Fever" is my favorite track

Other favorites include:
    "Jive Talkin"
    "Nights On Broadway"
    "Fanny"
    "Stayin Alive"
    "More than A Woman"
    "How Deep Is Your Love"
    "How A Love So Right"
    "You Win Again"

I love many of their classic earlier sides, some of their lyrics are just heartbreaking:

I Started a Joke
    Words
    Massachusetts
    How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?
    New York Mining Disaster 1941
    [[their saddest song)

I also love the songs that just preceded their breakout into disco, my favorite being:

Nights on Broadway

From their full on disco phase:

How Deep is Your Love - I think this one is my all time favorite.

I loved "Charade," one of their lesser known tracks from the 1974 Mr. Natural album. Sweet and smooth as ice cream, the perfect set-up for the great Main Course album the following year.

Also, from the '60s: "To Love Somebody". Great ballad.

As much as I grooved to all their music, I especially liked the Gibb Brothers work producing Diana Ross.

/news/robin-gibb-of-the-bee-gees-dead-at-62-1007106952.story
    Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees Dead at 62
    Robin Gibb once said that "an artist is an artist because he is not happy with the world, so he creates his own existence." And the singer and composer, who died Sunday at the age of 62 after a series of health issues, certainly created a memorable existence for himself.
    As part of the Bee Gees, the late Robin Gibb's impression on the Billboard Hot 100 will be felt forever.

The trio racked up nine Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 singles -- more than any other group in history save for the Beatles [[with 20) and the Supremes [[12). Of their chart-topping hits, their biggest is "How Deep Is Your Love," which reigned for three weeks in 1977 and spent 33 weeks on the chart -- the group's longest-running single.

On Billboard's compilation of the Bee Gees' top 20 Hot 100 singles, "How Deep Is Your Love" is joined by the act's 14 other top 10 singles, including such massive No. 1s as "Night Fever," "Stayin' Alive," "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" and "Jive Talkin'."

The Bee Gees' initial chart hit came in 1967, with "Now York Mining Disaster 1941," which climbed to No. 14 and became the first of 43 Hot 100 hits for the group. They most recently charted in 1997 with "Still Waters [[Run Deep)," a single from their "Still Waters" album. The song topped out at No. 57.

Additionally, Robin Gibb's chart success wasn't limited to songs that the Bee Gees recorded. He also co-wrote, with his bandmate brothers Barry and Maurice, Yvonne Elliman's Hot 100 No. 1 "If I Can't Have You." With brother Andy Gibb, the trio authored his third No. 1. "Shadow Dancing." As recently as 2001, Robin Gibb's name appeared in the Hot 100's top 10: Destiny's Child's cover of Samantha Sang's No. 3 hit from 1978, "Emotion," reached No. 10.

This ranking of the Bee Gees' biggest Billboard hits is based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 chart. Songs are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at No. 100 earning the least. To ensure equitable representation of the biggest hits from each era, certain time frames were weighted to account for the difference between turnover rates from those years.

Bee Gees' Top 20 Billboard Hits

Rank - Title - [[Year) - Hot 100 Peak Position [[weeks spent at No. 1)

1. "How Deep Is Your Love" - [[1977) - No. 1 [[for 3 weeks)

2. "Night Fever" - [[1978) - No. 1 [[8 weeks)

3. "Stayin' Alive" - [[1978) - No. 1 [[4 weeks)

4. "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" - [[1971) - No. 1 [[4 weeks)

5. "Jive Talkin'" - [[1975) - No. 1 [[2 weeks)

6. "Too Much Heaven" - [[1979) - No. 1 [[2 weeks)

7. "Love So Right" - [[1976) - No. 3

8. "You Should Be Dancing" - [[1976) - No. 1 [[1 week)

9. "Tragedy" - [[1979) - No. 1 [[two weeks)

10. "Love You Inside Out" - [[1979) - No. 1 [[1 week)

11. "Lonely Days" - [[1971) - No. 3

12. "Nights on Broadway" - [[1975) - No. 7

13. "I've Gotta Get a Message To You" - [[1968) - No. 8

14. "I Started a Joke" - [[1969) - No. 6

15. "One" - [[1989) - No. 7

16. "Fanny [[Be Tender With My Love)" - [[1976) - No. 12

17. "Boogie Child" - [[1977) - No. 12

18. "Words" - [[1968) - No. 15

19. "Run to Me" - [[1972) - No. 16

20. "[[The Lights Went Out In) Massachusetts" - [[1967) - No. 11

Fanny - number 12 on the charts, number 1 in my heart. Thanks for posting, Rob.

Jim

Just one? OK, I'll have to go this route: My number 1 all time favorite is "Lonely Days". My next favorite [[I'm listing it because it is SO close) is "Gotta Get a Message to You."

I've Gotta Get A Message To You is my favorite from their early era. How Deep...from their later period...

All I can really say is that I do not care for most of the Bee Gees earlier hits beyond the big hits. Many of them, especially between 1979-1975 sound quite silly. And, I don't like "Main Course" beyond the three hit singles on it.

Thumbs up

Hard to pick just one favorite but i really love their version of More Than A Woman.

Did anyone like "Tragedy"?

Not the only works by the group I like but two, "You Should Be Dancin" , because it was a dancefloor smoker with a killer break. "Night Fever " ,because of the way it flows, with 3 changes in the track ,it keeps time like a timepiece ,constant yet not monotinous. Both have excellent Bass work by Maurice.

Isn't amazing all of the great music the Bee Gee's and Robin Gibb produced when we reflect back? At one point in the 70's they were as popular and prolific as Stevie Wonder and the Beatles.

My favourite Bee Gee's song is "I Can't See Nobody", although that's probably because of Nina Simone's wonderful cover version.

I've never been a great fan of them, but I must recognize they wrote some great songs covered by the greatest Soul singers, like James Carr :

or Al Green :

Plus many others.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did anyone like "Tragedy"?
    It's one of my all-time favorite 70s songs!

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    [B]Not the only works by the group I like but two, "You Should Be Dancin[g]"...
    That is a smokin' track, and I put it above anything the Bee Gees did except for "Fanny [[Be Tender With My Love)". Adding the Latin percussion was the trick!

Their last top 10 hit -- "One" -- is pretty darn good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MNyD_YG53g

Night Fever, While in a movie devoted to Disco, it did not strike me as a Disco Song. Excellent Songwriting and Production!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    Night Fever, While in a movie devoted to Disco, it did not strike me as a Disco Song. Excellent Songwriting and Production!
    The brothers themselves always said that they did not do disco. They did R&B.

My partiality is toward their earlier tracks [[not that the later ones are bad, mind you)...so to that end..."I Can't See Nobody" and "To Love Somebody".

Best,

Mark

My favorite track from the Bee Gees is "Nothing Could Be Good" from Living Eyes.

Night Fever.......

I might have to change my tune ... this is a classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSKoDIlmv1Q

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Night Fever.......
    Definitely "Night Fever".

Robin Gibb once said that "an artist is an artist because he is not happy with the world, so he creates his own existence." And the singer and composer, who died Sunday at the age of 62 after a series of health issues, certainly created a memorable existence for himself.
    /news/bee-gees-rank-third-among-groups-for-most-1007109752.story
    Bee Gees Rank Third Among Groups for Most Hot 100 No. 1s in History
    As part of the Bee Gees, the late Robin Gibb's impression on the Billboard Hot 100 will be felt forever. The trio racked up nine Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 singles -- more than any other group in history save for the Beatles [[with 20) and the Supremes [[12). Of their chart-topping hits, their biggest is "How Deep Is Your Love," which reigned for three weeks in 1977 and spent 33 weeks on the chart -- the group's longest-running single.
    /news/fun-reach-no-1-bee-gees-rise-on-u-k-charts-1007168952.story
    Fun. Reach No. 1, Bee Gees Rise on U.K. Charts
    In a nailbiting finish, Scottish singer-songwriter Emeli Sande kept bluesman Joe Bonamassa from a notable first U.K. No. 1 album, as the Official Charts Company's new sales data was unveiled Sunday [[May 27). "We Are Young" [[Fueled By Ramen) by fun. featuring Janelle Monae finally reached the singles chart summit, in its seventh week.
    Following the death of Bee Gees member Robin Gibb on May 20, his band's catalog of albums and songs saw great sales gains in the week ending May 27.

According to Nielsen SoundScan, the group sold 27,000 albums this past week -- up 339% from 6,000 in the week of May 20. [[That includes the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack.) The pop trio's best-selling album last week was "The Ultimate Bee Gees" greatest hits, which reenters the Billboard 200 chart at No. 49 with 9,000 sold [[up 291%).

The act also returns to the Billboard 200 with "Number Ones" [[No. 70 with 7,000; up 695%) and the "Saturday Night Fever" album [[No. 168 with 3,000; up 133%). On the Catalog Albums chart, "Ultimate Bee Gees" returns at No. 4, while "Number Ones" jumps back in at No. 8. [[The Catalog chart ranks the best-selling older albums of the week -- those that are generally at least 18 months old.)

On the digital song side of things, Bee Gees moved 102,000 song downloads last week -- up from 21,000 the week previous [[a gain of 379%).

The group's two biggest songs last week were "Stayin' Alive," which sold 14,000 [[up 198%), and "How Deep Is Your Love" [[11,000; up 362%). Neither tune sold enough to rank on the 75-position Digital Songs chart.

My favorite is definately this one:

didnt know the Brothers recorded this track before Dionne did..thanks Jill.

I was about 8 when The Bee Gees took America by storm & having been fortunate enough to know both ends of the AM dial, I liked quite a few of those songs circa 1968/69.

From those days, my favorites would've been "Words", "Gotta Get A Message To You" & "I Started A Joke". It's funny how these things stick with you but I remember "ISAJ" specifically because my aunt had come to visit us from California & it was out around the same time as "Those Were The Days" by Mary Hopkins.

As we moved into the 70s, "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" & at that point, they fell off of my radar until my freshman year of H.S. when they hit with "Jive Talkin'", which to me was a totally different sound for them. Later that year as I was becoming a Sophomore, "Nights On Broadway" was a favorite.

But none of those songs prepared me for late-spring/early-summer of 1976, when The Bee Gees put out the combustable "You Should Be Dancing", one of the biggest Summer hits EVERYWHERE in N.Y.C. That song is one of the songa that made the Bi-Centennial year arguably my top 3 years for music in my lifetime. I also liked "Love So Right", which was pretty damn good. But I must admit that I never quite warmed up to "You Stepped Into My Life", especially after Melba Moore came along & completely took that song to another level which the original merely hinted at.

And even that massive song didn't prepare me for the the end of 1977, when they hit with "Staying Alive" & "Night Fever". As a young DJ, those songs were just incredible & for all of the folks who talked smack & later hated on The Bee Gees, when those songs came out, they were HUGE in the Black clubs & even in the streets, so I have to give The Brothers Gibbs their props, also to brother Andy for "I Just Want To Be Your Everything & the 12'' version of "Shadow Dancing" had us getting loose in the clubs, ESPECIALLY on that break.

I have to say that I believe that there was somewhat a backlash from "Saturday Night Fever", when they were considered to be "Kings Of The Disco" & it felt as though everything that they were cutting had lost some of the spontaneity & charm of their earlier hits. To this day I can't stand to listen to ANY version of "More Than A Woman" & thinking about the scenes from the movie in which it was played, makes me like it even less.

''Sgt. Pepper'' & "Tragedy" only made things worse for me & at that point I pretty much fell off of the bandwagon. To me the music simply became too formulaic & reeked of following a dying trend as opposed to finding new creative ground.

Ironically, one of the songs that slipped past me then was "Love You Inside & Out", which is great, as well as "Fanny [[Be Tender With My Love)", which is a pretty sweet song as well.

All told, these brothers have quite a body of work & excellent work, at that. And I believe that those who brushed them with the Disco label based upon roughly 2 years out of a career which was more than 3 decades long, was patently unfair, as well as totally missing the boat.

History shows that The Bee Gees were more than merely a "Disco" group & I believe that their later career suffered somewhat due to that label.

One, easy "Night Fever." It's a gorgeous song.

"History shows that The Bee Gees were more than merely a "Disco" group & I believe that their later career suffered somewhat due to that label."

That's why I feel "Disco" is such a complex word/label. "DISCO" is the first and only genre that was created as a commercial genre. Simply ,any dancable song from the mid 70's , from R&B/Soul/Funk/POP , tnat was played in the emerging "Club" industry of the 70-80 time period. Point is that the real succesful acts and producer writers of this "Disco" music had been in the Biz for years and had history behind them. Though some music was produced with that intentional "Disco" generic [[Boom Tisk ,Boom Tisk) beat and flowering arrangements a vast majority of work considered "Disco" is just plain old slamming good dance and listening music. A lot of that is lost with the label "DISCO" , and also some of the history behind it. Thats a shame. Damn shame.

I would love for Barry Gibb to write a book [[unless one is already out) these guys are musical history! Its funny they have never been associated with any kind of British Invasion although they came out after all of that hooplah but there is no doubt they have one of the most prolific catalogs of any musical group out there including Motown, Stax, and other labels. I would have to say as far as movie soundtracks they are right up there with the Sound of Music, Grease and others.

Words

One of the most beatiful songs ever made. The singing is great and the music even better. Barry never sounded so good. One of the great endings in music history.
    And it happens to be the first time my wife saids she loved me.
    No surpise it was the song played at our wedding.
    Bee Gees are one of the most under rated groups in history, I got to see the Austalian Bee Gees in Las Vegas recently and all though it was not the real thing, it will be the closes I will ever get in this life time. Hope Barry gives it one last tour, perhaps a nice acoustic show.
    I love the early Bee Gees, and they kept going strong into the 70's and 80's. I really like their Last few albums- Still Waters and This is Where I came in.