[REMOVE ADS]

Whitney Houston's last recording: "Celebrate", duet with Jordin Sparks

Try not to make this into a discussion about critiquing the song. Just enjoy it, remember Whitney and "celebrate"!

smark21 Guest
    Carlo, this is not a Whitney Houston fan forum with rules stating that one can only post positive statements about Whitney. This is a forum to discuss music. I find your statement telling people to post only positive comments very disrespectful and sanctimonious.

As for the new song…it’s catchy and bouncy. But it works better for Jordin Sparks’ voice than Whitney’s. Whitney sounds raspy and her voice eroded, though it’s no shock. It’s a shame she died before she could record material better suited for her voice at this stage of her life/career. She no longer has a voice to pull off cheery, inspirational songs. She’s got a blues voice now and it’s too bad she never dived into the blues and she could have recorded a really good blues album. The voice may have eroded, but she had the skills and the ability [[and the life) to sing the hell out of the blues.

Is Sparkle about a girl group? And is this song new? But it's a duet?

It sounded OK to me, probably at least a semi hit due to Jordan Sparks.

There seems to be a new movie, premierely at Cannes, about a Girl Group and it is supposed to be something special; called Sapphire I think.

smark21 Guest
    Sparkle is a remake of a 1970’s film and it’s about a girl group based somewhat on The Supremes. I don’t know if the remake will be set in the 60’s/70’s or today. The original had a classic soundtrack written by Curtis Mayfield, including the great song “Giving Him Something He Can Feel”. Apparently R Kelly wrote some new songs for the remake.

The remake is also based in the 60's. It's a nice upbeat positive song. Didn't knock my socks off but a nice song. I can hear it in a movie during a happy scene.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I find your statement telling people to post only positive comments very disrespectful and sanctimonious.

I hope the remake doesn't contain the violence against women that the original had in it. It really disturbed me but maybe that is what happens with our Divas. Gosh, I hope not. That just breaks my heart.

Penny

Sounds like the original was a typical 70's movie!

The picture of Oprah reminds me that many people tired of the sanctimonius Oprah in the last 10 years ~ that was her weak point ~ sanctimonius and self righteous! More so against men I think.

That was nice enough. I especially like how Whitney sings " I celebrate you....." in her lower register. Sounds very nice. Thanks Carlo

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Sounds like the original was a typical 70's movie!

The picture of Oprah reminds me that many people tired of the sanctimonius Oprah in the last 10 years ~ that was her weak point ~ sanctimonius and self righteous! More so against men I think.
    The Original film "Sparkle" was hardly a typical 70's movie whatever that means. You had to see it in a theater at the time to know what I mean! It was very unique in relation to what was out in the early part of 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Oprah is far from sanctimonious in my opinion. She has touched so many lives through her talk show and endless giving. She built a school in Africa for girls. I personally would have a difficult time judging her. Many people tend to criticize her, but the truth is that few will ever be as successful and giving as she has been.

Oprah has been a very generous lady but she is a very wealthy lady. She is tremendously and steadfastly supportive of his causes and her friends ~ Diana Ross for one; Tina Turner for another; the school she built.

But her image and "doing all good and being all good" and being very righteous became too much for many people in the last decade. She isn't the only person that knows what is right and what is wrong. And her self righteousness became tedious to many.

As you can see from these postings, there are differing views by many people over who should be telling someone else what to do and say.

smark21 Guest
    Not to mention Oprah is a major narcissist and extremely self absorbed and loves to publicize her good deeds which makes me think she does partly to enhance her image rather than out of generosity. Her school is a perfect example. She made a big to do when she opened it and talked about how she was involved in picking out high thread count sheets. Then after the big publicity, she went on to other things. Then a scandal broke out a year later in which school officials were abusing the kids. To her credit Oprah stepped in and took care of it, but until then she was not paying attention to this important endeavor as she should have. I wonder where things stand with that school now? Is she still paying attention? Is the school delivering a quality education? Are the students being treated fairly?

Another new song from the soundtrack has premiered..."His Eye Is On The Sparrow"! Sing it, Whitney!!!

http://soundcloud.com/sparklemovie/h...on-the-sparrow