[REMOVE ADS]

Sometimes You Just Gotta Listen ! Marvin Gaye, What ??????

Folks I must admit, I've been around for a while and I got my mind blown this morning. I'll just get straight to the point. I've loved this record since I was a young adult and admittedly being a record collector since that time, I like many others take whats on the label as face value. But I digress, listen carefully, I never knew this was Marvin Gaye. Now what ?

Paladin what part is Marvin Gaye? I am betting you mean the lead vocal, but I want you tell me, hehehehehehe.

Paladin what part is Marvin Gaye? I am betting you mean the lead vocal, but I want you tell me, hehehehehehe.
    Right Marvin is singing the lead vocal. I listened to it several times and the Funk's track was so powerful that it nearly overpowers Marv's vocals, but I concentrated on the vocals only while regulating the beat to the background of my attention and sure enough... that's Marvin. Now What say you...?

yes it sounds like marvin,it aint shorty!i've just played tcms vol 6,essential shorty and here comes the judge lp track and none of them are this youtube track [[except the backing track is the same)where has this come from?amazing!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  21.1 KB
    It sounds a little like Marvin, and a little like Shorty. I can't really tell. It's certainly not Shorty's hit version.

paladin
    go to the end of the track.then you get a load of pictures/suggestions to play next.click on the pic with snails[[!)
    it function etc.but sounds different again.

have these got a slightly diff speed or compresion that makes them sound like something else?

click on the remix too its quite good
    Last edited by tamla617; 05-20-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    paladin
    go to the end of the track.then you get a load of pictures/suggestions to play next.click on the pic with snails[[!)
    it function etc.but sounds different again.

have these got a slightly diff speed or compresion that makes them sound like something else?

click on the remix too its quite good
Views: 346
    Wow!!! Three different instrumental versions, three different singers??? Who is this last guy? He doesn't sound like either Marvin or Shorty. At first, I thought of Robert Gordy [[voice tone)-but he couldn't carry a tune like that. Then, I thought of one of The Contours. But it's not Billy Gordon or Sylvester Potts. Who could it be? Different compression on Shorty's voice? Can that really change a voice tone and pitch so greatly?

I'm sorry but all three sounds like Shorty during different takes and perhaps different kinds of microphones used. In the last ones the Andantes sound like they are more to the front of the mix and maybe even supplemented with whoever
    else was present at the session. I know Marvin kept after Berry Gordy to work more on selling Shorty so why would he
    stomp on his sessions?
    kdubya, think again, my friend....

Views: 331
    Different speeds would change the pitch [[voice quality and level [[high vs. low). The mixes were clearly different. But, they were also different instrumental versions. The mannerisms all sounded like Shorty's. And, why would Marvin pick up Shorty's mannerisms, and why would he sing a demo for Shorty to copy? I wouldn't have guessed that song would be one that Marvin would choose to sing.
    Last edited by robb_k; 05-20-2012 at 08:34 PM.

kdubya, think again, my friend....
    lol........... this may be Shorty but the one I posted is Marvin.......and its on the actual label that I own, I've seen it on the older Soul Label [[Jr Walker) as well.........no thinking...just listening......

if they are different takes.the single being played on youtube,if that is the one thats making the noise,is a normal soul label disc,not a promo.but its different [[voice)from the tcms vol6 track.did they use the actual 7"inch tracks for tcms or anything that had the same title?

wow! it sounds like marvin's phrasing and mannerisms to me. shorty has that country drawl when he saids kidney stew. i think it's marvin!

kidney stew,thats a cracker!lol,great description

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Right Marvin is singing the lead vocal. I listened to it several times and the Funk's track was so powerful that it nearly overpowers Marv's vocals, but I concentrated on the vocals only while regulating the beat to the background of my attention and sure enough... that's Marvin. Now What say you...?
    I say, Motown put another one over on me! I've listen to this song since I was a kid and never even once considered that that was Marvin Gaye singing. Since you brought this to our attention, it most certainly does sound like Marvin. But then again, J.J. Barnes was able to mimic or sound so much like Marvin that it cost him a potential career at Motown! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 346
    Wow!!! Three different instrumental versions, three different singers??? Who is this last guy? He doesn't sound like either Marvin or Shorty. At first, I thought of Robert Gordy [[voice tone)-but he couldn't carry a tune like that. Then, I thought of one of The Contours. But it's not Billy Gordon or Sylvester Potts. Who could it be? Different compression on Shorty's voice? Can that really change a voice tone and pitch so greatly?
    Could it be J.J. Barnes?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Could it be J.J. Barnes?
Views: 323
    I don't think so. He only sounds like J.J. on a few of the notes. Most sound nothing like him, and are too high to be him.

i just woke up thinking it could be jj barnes,i need to get a life!

After one listen, it's Shorty for me. But I can hear where some of you guys are coming from.

The phrasing doesn't sound like Marvin to me; I still think it's Shorty.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The phrasing doesn't sound like Marvin to me; I still think it's Shorty.
    i was really hoping for the word "children" to be in there somewhere.that would have nailed it.with marvin's "chiljen" pronounciation!