[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Donna Summer Dies at 63

Of course, she's not associated with Detroit soul music, but I'm sure for many of us she was a huge influence. So sad, she was only 63.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/17/donna-...ad-last-dance/

I posted this as well I didnt see yours Kenneth I am sorry. Either way this is a sad day for music and for disco.

Sure is. To me, a lot of her earlier music doesn't hold up all that well but I still think "Once Upon a Time" and "Bad Girls" are brilliantly overproduced masterpieces.

Has there ever been a week where it seems that so many important artists have passed in such a short time? It seems like every day somebody else is gone. To underscore my thoughts, if somebody told me that there were movies in production for Duck Dunn, Donna Summer, Belita Woods, or Chuck Brown, I'd be one of the first in line to see each. My prayers go out to the families of each.

I LOVE Once Upon A Time and all of her songs with the themes like Spring Affair, Winter Melody etc..... I was not a big fan of She Works Hard for the Money but I can see why it was a huge hit.

Its funny I remember thinking she would be a one hit wonder after Love to Love you Baby and then her career took off and I found out she had a great voice as the years went on. Mr Brooklyn Dreams her husband always seemed to keep a low profile I never really knew what he did after Heaven Knows. If I had to name one favorite of mine it would be a minor hit she had called Dinner with Gershwin written by Brenda Russell. RIP Donna!

I can't believe Donna is gone. I loved so many of her songs. RIP dear Lady, you gave so many of us a lot of Happiness over the years.

She certainly had some highs and lows. I remember the backlash against her when she spoke out against gays - not gay marriage, but gays - who formed the biggest group amongst her fans. She also rebounded from the death of disco to still be relevant and able to make hits in a more pop vein. I never heard "Dinner With Gershwin," I will have to check that out. A while ago, I bought her unreleased Giorgio Moroder album "I'm a Rainbow," and will play it sometime today. When I bought it, it didn't grab me, but it deserves another listen certainly. I know it includes her version of "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina," which is absolutely her type of song.

I think she always hoped to do more stage and screen work, and was disappointed that it didn't happen. Her origins in Germany were in that country's production of "Hair" as I recall, so she definitely had theatre in her background.

This stuff is driving me crazy. I know that we all come and go, but this past year has been just ridiculous

Summer's, Last Dance is one of her best songs but always reminds me of how many creative people we've lost to AIDS and related diseases in the past 30+ years. RIP Ms. Summer you will be remembered, you will be missed.
    Last edited by chidrummer; 05-17-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Unbelieveably sad. Dim all the lights...

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    This stuff is driving me crazy. I know that we all come and go, but past year has been just ridiculous

Summer's, Last Dance is one of her best songs but always reminds me of how many creative people we've lost to AIDS and related diseases in the past 30+ years. RIP Ms. Summer you will be remember, you will be missed.
    So true. In fact, the writer of "Last Dance," Paul Jabara, died of AIDS not long after. I don't recall if Summer was a cowriter of the song or not; I don't think so, though I know she often shared writing credits with Moroder and Bellotte. It did win the Oscar that year, from what I recall for best song [[from the worst movie "TGIF.").

This is a SHOCK! Man!

I like everything she did up to 1989. An incredible talent gone.

R.I.P. LaDonna Adrian Gaines aka Donna Summer

Donna a Big Thanks ! You brought us So many Great Memories with her Tunes! ones I played "On The Radio" and that I danced to at the "Disco" and the first dance with someone I met in a club! May You Rest in Peace!

Donna Summer, "I Feel Love"! I just heard the news from my brother over in Ohio. Donna Summer, great singer, a voice of an era where all we seemed to want to do was just have fun. Donna ruled during those times whether you bought her music or not, it was "on the radio" everywhere it seemed from roughly late 1975-84 and bleeps of her sound crept up through the years afterwards. History will reveal just how truly influential this woman was through her music.

Donna, this time is over. We had a lot of fun with your music. So have the Last Dance and we'll see ya later. Rest in peace and thank you.

Marv
    Last edited by marv2; 05-17-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    She certainly had some highs and lows. I remember the backlash against her when she spoke out against gays - not gay marriage, but gays - who formed the biggest group amongst her fans. She also rebounded from the death of disco to still be relevant and able to make hits in a more pop vein. I never heard "Dinner With Gershwin," I will have to check that out. A while ago, I bought her unreleased Giorgio Moroder album "I'm a Rainbow," and will play it sometime today. When I bought it, it didn't grab me, but it deserves another listen certainly. I know it includes her version of "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina," which is absolutely her type of song.

I think she always hoped to do more stage and screen work, and was disappointed that it didn't happen. Her origins in Germany were in that country's production of "Hair" as I recall, so she definitely had theatre in her background.
    "Dinner With Gershwin" was a great record. Also check out one of my very favorites by Donna, "There Will Always Be You".

Sad, sad, sad. I did not know she was battling cancer.

Thanks for the music & memories.

RIP Donna Summer. X

Yeah but she was a Boston girl through and through! I lived in Boston, they were very proud of her their as their homegirl! This is really another big one.......

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah but she was a Boston girl through and through! I lived in Boston, they were very proud of her their as their homegirl! This is really another big one.......
    I forgot that. I will have to check out some of her other material. Wasn't "There Will Always be You" on the "Bad Girls" LP? Or maybe it was a song with a similar title.

In my mind Donna Summer seemed forever young. What a shock to discover she passed away. I commented to the friend who just informed me of her death, in context of all our favorite performers who died recently, "they're dropping like flies." He corrected me by stating, "we're dropping like flies." That jolted me to consider how short and sweet life is and how we should celebrate life, and our loved ones while we can! R.I.P. Donna.

Wow, I was just thinking about her recently... wondering where she'd been. R.I.P. My favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Ab2xyz9tw

Rest in peace, Donna. I am having a Donna Summer music celebration today here at home. I am not going to be sad, in honour of her song, "No More Tears". I am going to remember her. I am so thankful for the opportunities I had to make a "connection" with her. I never met her personally, but I am grateful for being able to see her in concert and I am grateful for the autographed photo and letter I received from her years ago. She was the ultimate example of class and talent. She was such a strong woman of faith and has such a beautiful family who I know love and miss her dearly. My prayers go out to them.

I forgot that. I will have to check out some of her other material. Wasn't "There Will Always be You" on the "Bad Girls" LP? Or maybe it was a song with a similar title.
    I think it was on the "Bad Girls" album. I just know that song stuck with me for years. I will try to find it on Youtube for you.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think it was on the "Bad Girls" album. I just know that song stuck with me for years. I will try to find it on Youtube for you.
    I do remember it. I have "Bad Girls" on CD and I do like that song...a softly sung ballad, unusual style for her at the time.

Here it is, here's "There Will Always Be You" from the album "Bad Girls" Donna was a great singer!

Anyone remembers Donna Summer's TV Special from the 70's?

Thanks for the posting, Marv, of the clip!

What a great talent. Another star has left far too soon. Bless you Donna.Name:  d summer.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  74.6 KB

Thanks for the posting, Marv, of the clip!
    Anytime. I just feel that that song is one of the best examples of what a beautiful voice Donna had and how truly talented she was regardless of how they tried to label her.

just got back from a funeral,put tv on and "donna summer has died at the age of 63.".................unbelievable.
    another one gone.i am shocked.but i never bought one single or lp by her.dont ask me i've no idea why

I saw Donna Summer in concert just 2-3 years ago at Universal Studios Orlando & was very impressed with not only her show but her actual vocal talents.How could anyone live through the 70's & have not heard of her & her music?My personal faves are "Bad Girls" & "Hot Stuff". RIP Ms. Summers you will be missed & condolences to her family & friends.

A wonderful talent who I had the honour of working with, albeit briefly. Loved her music, loved her and will retain many memories of her talent. As nearly everyone has indicated, we seem to be losing too many of our heritage artists just lately.

Of course, she's not associated with Detroit soul music, but I'm sure for many of us she was a huge influence. So sad, she was only 63.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/17/donna-...ad-last-dance/
    Don't matter if she is or not! This is an international cultural icon, and this is like a death in the family! Every last musical whatever is giving a shout out to her!

Whitney, Duck Dunn, Belita Woods, Chuck Brown, and now Donna Summer! I'm done!
    Last edited by scatman44; 05-17-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Oh, yeah, I loved playing her songs on bass, whether in the house or at gigs/open mics! All of them are bottom-heavy and in the pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    This stuff is driving me crazy. I know that we all come and go, but this past year has been just ridiculous

Summer's, Last Dance is one of her best songs but always reminds me of how many creative people we've lost to AIDS and related diseases in the past 30+ years. RIP Ms. Summer you will be remembered, you will be missed.
    I thought that 2010 was bad, but this is one continually tragic week for 60's and 70's black music.

As far as I'm concerned, "Love To Love You Baby [[the super long version), "Rumor Has It" and "Bad Girls", will stand the test of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyfield View Post
    What a great talent. Another star has left far too soon. Bless you Donna.Name:  d summer.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  74.6 KB
    Great picture. It wasn't until I got a lot older did I realize how super fine this woman was.

Was it public knowledge she was ill? Unusual there was no publicity at all. Not complaining just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Was it public knowledge she was ill? Unusual there was no publicity at all. Not complaining just wondering.
    I was thinking the same thing. I didn't even know that she was sick. And maybe she wanted it that way.

I can't believe Donna is gone. I loved so many of her songs. RIP dear Lady, you gave so many of us a lot of Happiness over the years.
    So true....This was my favorite by her, she actually begins softly and sings powerfully , dueling with a saxophone player.....Rest in Peace.......I am so sad

smark21 Guest
    I Feel Love is her greatest record. A huge influence on dance and electronic music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e3H6t6j3Rk

smark21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I Feel Love is her greatest record. A huge influence on dance and electronic music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e3H6t6j3Rk
    "I Feel Love" was a huge record. They took the electronica sounds of Kraftwerk and combined it with her lush vocal. I don't think anyone other than Moroder would have thought those two very different styles could mesh.

In addition, Duran Duran agrees with you. This from the Guardian obit which is linked in the prior post:

In a message posted on Facebook, Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran praised her legacy and in particular the influence of one track. "For me, there is no doubt that her song I Feel Love had a dramatic effect on modern music. It was certainly a key influence on my work with Duran Duran."

Along with producer Giorgio Moroder, she pioneered the use of electronic sequencers in dance music, Rhodes said. "Today that sound seems so familiar, but in 1977 it was a brave new frontier. It's extremely rare that you hear one song that completely changes the way you perceive music. I Feel Love achieved that."

My favorite Donna Summer song - Riding Through The Storm - Watch the YouTube video & let it minister to your heart.
    Praying for Donna's family & friends. See ya in heaven Donna!

Very underrated. Incredible talent, writer, unique voice. SHe was Hot Stuff!

An amazing talent and a stunning lady...there's a tremendous void now that she's gone that will never be filled. RIP, Donna, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

As THE VOICE of the seventies, Donna Summer defined an era.
    All others get mentioned next.

RIP HRH

I just can't believe this... so unexpected! How great a talent was she, and she kept her voice in top shape well into her older years. I always wanted to see her in concert, but never got the chance.

As many of you have stated, it is really bizarre that we are losing so many entertainment icons so close together...Etta, Whitney, Dick Clark and now Donna all within such a short time. I have been around a lot longer than many of you and I just cringe when I think that some of my other favorites will be next. But at least their music will be lasting legacies.

Interesting to see how there was such variation in your favorite Donna songs. I don't think I have seen mine mentioned, which was Love's Unkind. But I can certainly see the appeal of the many others that have been mentioned.

so many great records - "Try Me I Know We Can Make It","State of Independence","Loves About To Change My Heart"..I remember when djs were banned from playing records in the local gay clubs...she started to get played again when she released "Carry On" at the end of 92..a deeply religous woman who was torn with her breathy,erotic public persona..she almost single handely made Casablanca records a major label in the mid 70s..RIP
    Last edited by nomis; 05-18-2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: mistake

RIP, Donna...
    Though I wasn't a big disco fan, Donna made quite a few records I did enjoy, Bad Girls included...
    I always thought her collabo with Musical Youth was fun and timely since that had just had sucess
    with Pass The Dutchie. I'm surprised at how few remember it. Here it is...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVMnR...eature=related

It's a topic that's impossible to ignore when discussing the accomplishments of Donna Summer, who died Thursday of cancer: Why is the legendary singer not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
    Following her death yesterday [[May 17) at 63, radio is remembering legendary disco diva Donna Summer.

Detections of Summer's songs on all monitored U.S. terrestrial radio stations monitored by Nielsen BDS on the day prior to her passing totaled a mere 145. Yesterday, after news of her death began breaking around 11 a.m. ET, plays of her music swelled exponentially to 2,015.

Here is a recap of Summer's 10 most-played songs yesterday, according to BDS:

408, "Last Dance"
    290, "She Works Hard for the Money"
    289, "Bad Girls"

236, "On the Radio"
    233, "Hot Stuff"
    117, "Heaven Knows"
    109, "Dim All the Lights"
    89, "Love to Love You Baby"
    86, "MacArthur Park"
    64, "I Feel Love"

Satellite broadcaster Sirius XM's '70s on 7 and Studio 54 Radio channels announced Summer's death shortly after the first news reports surfaced yesterday and followed with a live two-and-a-half hour call-in tribute on Studio 54 Radio, hosted by air talent Geronimo.

Since, Studio 54 Radio has been mixing Summer's songs with clips of archived interviews that she gave at Sirius XM. The feature, dubbed "Donna Summer: In Her Own Words," will run hourly through the weekend.

"The outpouring of emotions from callers has been overwhelming," Geronimo says. "Calls came from all over the country and from people who knew [[Summer's) music globally. One call came from Tampa, but the caller had first heard her in Germany, where her career started."

In her hometown of Boston, Summer's music has also been spotlighted since her passing, with CBS Radio-owned classic hits WODS [[103.3) among one of five stations nationally that played "Last Dance" the most yesterday [[five spins). The station devoted its entire 7 p.m. hour last night to Summer's smashes.

"Donna Summer's songs are a huge part of the sound of WODS and Boston," says Joe Cortese, the station's assistant program director/music director. "She is loved in her hometown."

Sundays nights beginning at 7, WODS airs longtime syndicated specialty show "The Lost 45s," hosted by Barry Scott. This weekend, the program, which specializes in bringing back "songs you never thought you'd hear on the radio again," will replay interview clips from Summer's four appearances on the show, as well as such rarities as the original rock-leaning demo of "Bad Girls." [[The Casablanca record label wanted Cher to record the song, but Summer declined, instead wanting it as a single of her own, according to Scott. Smart move: "Bad Girls" became the longest-reigning of Summer's four Billboard Hot 100 No. 1s, leading the list for five weeks in 1979.)

"To call Donna Summer the 'Queen of Disco' does her a great disservice," Scott says. "As one of the biggest-selling artists of the '70s, she truly transcended that genre, which enabled her to continue to have hits into the '80s and beyond." Summer reached No. 3 in 1983 with "She Works Hard for the Money" and No. 7 in 1989 with "This Time I Know It's for Real."

[[Fellow CBS Radio classic hits station WCBS [[101.1) New York ran an interview montage this morning in which Summer recalled the inspiration for "Money." She wrote the song after noticing that a bathroom attendant at a Grammy Awards party had fallen asleep from exhaustion. "'She works hard for the money'," Summer remembered thinking at the time.)

"Summer was one of that era's few successful African-American female singer/songwriters," Scott notes. "She put searing guitars on 'Hot Stuff' years before Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' and gave us tunes that are still lyrically memorable, as well as danceable.

"That Summer possessed one of the best voices of the rock era should also not go unnoticed," Scott says. "She could easily hold her own singing with Barbra Streisand." The pair topped the Hot 100 for two weeks in 1979 with "No More Tears [[Enough Is Enough)."

"As an artist, Summer captured the '70s dance era more than any other act [[except maybe the Bee Gees). But, just listen to one of the ballads on her 'Bad Girls' album and you'll realize how much more there was to her," Scott says.

"Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: shame on you. Donna Summer made rock lovers enjoy dance music, if but for a brief time. That's talent. She gave us 'unconditional love' and will be missed."