[REMOVE ADS]

The Jacksons UNITY Tour...Would You Go See Them?

I see that The Jacksons [[Jacky, Tito, Jermaine and Marlon) are now on tour. They will be here in Detroit next month at the Fox Theater which holds over 4,000 seats. Of course, Michael who was the heart and soul of the group is no longer with us. I was just wondering would YOU go see them in concert? Tickets are $45.50-$127.00 and orchestra seats are $400.00.

I saw them on Access Live last week doing an interview and they have aged very well.

I wish them well, but I wouldn't pay to see them. I might accept a comp, though. But for me, seeing them without Michael would be like seeing the Pips without Gladys. A good show most likely, but with something really big missing.

I've seen The Jacksons [[5) many time since 1971. To me, there was something very special about the group as a whole. They're playing Cincinnati on June 19 and Merriville on June 22. I will try to make one of those dates. I would expect the surviving brothers to put on a great show.

No........

I would go see them. I first came to know them as a group long before Michael became a breakout solo artist.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I wish them well, but I wouldn't pay to see them. I might accept a comp, though. But for me, seeing them without Michael would be like seeing the Pips without Gladys. A good show most likely, but with something really big missing.
    Gotta co-sign on your observation. I can't see the point.

They're coming to the Northwest, but I won't drive the 500 miles [[one way) to see them, when I'm hoping to make a long drive to see EWF this summer.

I might go if I lived closer, but probably not.

Put Janet on the ticket and I'm there.

You've all made the point about how important the lead singer is; without Gladys, the Pips were hitless; without Smokey, the Miracles had Love Machine; without Michael, what did they have for hits? Anything? Are they going to sing Michael's songs? Or run the hologram?

At least the Supremes ran for a couple of years of hits without Diana but they were the exception, likely due to Jean Terrell.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    You've all made the point about how important the lead singer is; without Gladys, the Pips were hitless; without Smokey, the Miracles had Love Machine; without Michael, what did they have for hits? Anything? Are they going to sing Michael's songs? Or run the hologram?

At least the Supremes ran for a couple of years of hits without Diana but they were the exception, likely due to Jean Terrell.
    Well to be fair.......something that always seem to be foreign to you! Those groups, including the Jackson's did not replace their lead singers! The Supremes and the Miracles both made excellent choices in new lead singers which no doubt would have result in tons of new "hits" for each group had Motown supported them after the changes.

To be blunt...if they were giving away tickets and a free bus ride i wouldn't go,without mj who was the jacksons what's the point??

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    To be blunt...if they were giving away tickets and a free bus ride i wouldn't go,without mj who was the jacksons what's the point??
    Tickets sales at most venues are sluggish so there may very well be free or discounted tickets available nearer the actual dates. I'd go if I could get a discounted or free ticket.

Roberta

smark21 Guest
    Well at least Jermaine can get back to his first career, singing, and put his later profession as a shame free media whore on the back burner.

I love these curt assessments by Smark; no mistaking his point. And accurate too.

The truth is that without their famous lead singers, alot of these groups were "just another group". While they might have had a hit or two, a song might be remembered, the lead singer will be remembered but the rest of the group really won't. And that is not saying there weren't some talented members ~ Marv Tarplin for one; Jean Terrell for another. But they were very overshadowed by Smokey, Lionel, Gladys, Michael and Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I love these curt assessments by Smark; no mistaking his point. And accurate too.

The truth is that without their famous lead singers, alot of these groups were "just another group". While they might have had a hit or two, a song might be remembered, the lead singer will be remembered but the rest of the group really won't. And that is not saying there weren't some talented members ~ Marv Tarplin for one; Jean Terrell for another. But they were very overshadowed by Smokey, Lionel, Gladys, Michael and Diana.
    We discuss this earlier in the year when we did our non scientic surveying of folks under 30 and none of them remembered Diana Ross.......remember?