[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What was your first impression of "Beat It" by Michael Jackson?

I have been reading Guitar World's collector's edition featuring Van Halen. I just read the section about how Eddie Van Halen came to do the famous solo on the song "Beat It". In the article, Eddie tells of how Quincy called him one day and how he didn't think it really was him and called him an asshole! LOL! Once convinced it really was Q, and agreed to play on the track, he grabbed his guitar, jumped in his car, and went to the studio. He did two takes, and MJ was standing in the back just loving it. Eddie did the gig for free because he thought his bandmates, who were all out of town, would never find out, and that Van Halen fans would never know. As it turns out, the song broke racial barriers at Black and FM radio, MTV, helped "Thriller" become one of the best-selling albums of all time, and made MJ a superstar. Eddie was never even paid for it, and was just very happy to play on a Michael Jackson record. Of course, Eddie is a fan.

I bought the album in early December of 1982, just a couple of days after it was released. I wasn't too impressed with the album overall, but once I got to side two and hear "Beat It", I thought "Cool! Michael did a rock song! Sounds good!" But, it didn't sound all that unusual, as The Time had their blistering guitar solo on the album version of "777-9311". Earth, Wind & Fire, Prince and Slave, among others, had been doing hard rock guitar solos on their records too. And, even though I was a big Van Halen fan, I somehow never made the connection until I read the liner notes as I listened.

Now, I know there aren't many rock fans around here, but, since Eddie Van Halen never thought anyone would know or care, I wondered how you all felt about the song, and Eddie Van Halen's participation on the song.

soulster
    i just read you bought thriller in dec.82 "a couple of days after it was realeased".i checked discogs they say november 82i'm not splitting hairs here!i bought thriller in hong kong august 82.i've only been there once.so it was deff. august 82.
    how did i get it so early?was it japan and far east 1st?

I really don't remember exactly when I bought it, but I know it was around that time.

So, what were your first impressions of the song?

i just checked it was cbs hong kong,cassette btw.
    when i got back to the hotel.the crew were sat around having a few[[!) beers one of 'em said "what you got there?" i stuck the tape on.i then got orders to go and buy 10 more cassettes the only crew member who didnt bother was the flight engineer who'd never heard of micheal jackson!on the way back to uk the 1st 3 rows of seats were plugged in to a walkman via 3 multi jack adapters flying over thailand listening to thriller!all i remember was it wasnt out in the uk.i assumed america got it 1st tho'.i know it was the center of attention at parties for while.

in answer to your question i loved the whole album except "the girl is mine"which i hated at 1st play
    beat it was one of the top tracks on there. i wore the thing out,tried anyway.the tape still plays ok,but probably not up to your ears!

I remember snapping my neck to watch MTV when Michael Jackson [[!) appeared with "Billie Jean". A black artist? They didn't even show the Bus Boys, so that was remarkable in its own right. I bought the album and only listened to it a couple of times in the background, not paying attention to it [[except for "Thriller" and "Lady In My Life", both by my favorite '70s and '80s songwriter, Rod Temperton). Well, I took my cousin Tony over to his high school girlfriend's house and "Beat It" came on the radio, months before it was released. I couldn't believe that it was a hit, because it was kind of a "meh" record for me at the time. Soon, in Columbus, every track was being played well before it was released and the album blew up. I only became a big fan of "Beat It" when the video came out. I would eventually grow to love the album.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  21.1 KB
    I learned about it after hearing "Eat It" by Weird Al Yankovic. I was pleasantly surprised at the nice sound of the "Michael Jackson version", but disappointed hat it wasn't very funny.

what was that micheal jackson cover of a thriller track done by mick jackson?may have been a uk only release,went in the top 30 tho'

I dug the mess outta Beat It when it first dropped. I thought it was a real kick ass jam and I loved Eddie's guitar solo. Suprised to read that he wasn't paid and didn't mind. I think are more rock fans around here than you realise, soulster.
    I don't follow the current crop much but I liked Van Halen in addiction to a long line of acts from The Stones to Super Tramp. Basically Funk is Black Rock and Roll anyway so why shouldn't folks cross all the little streets anyway?

Jerry, what is "meh"? I don't understand that term...

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    what was that micheal jackson cover of a thriller track done by mick jackson?may have been a uk only release,went in the top 30 tho'
    You aren't thinking of "Blame It On The Boogie" by MICK JACKSON are you Tamla617, back in 1978 .. which I believe was the original version of the song ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcDj46elLhQ

As to "Beat It" .. I never liked it much .. I can just about tolerate it but thats it. The "Thriller" L.P. was when I started to lose interest in Mr. Jackson .. I liked the title track, "Billy Jean" and "Wanna Be Starting Something" but most of the rest held no interest to me .. worst track though had to be "The Girl Is Mine".

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I dug the mess outta Beat It when it first dropped. I thought it was a real kick ass jam and I loved Eddie's guitar solo. Suprised to read that he wasn't paid and didn't mind. I think are more rock fans around here than you realise, soulster.
    I don't follow the current crop much but I liked Van Halen in addiction to a long line of acts from The Stones to Super Tramp. Basically Funk is Black Rock and Roll anyway so why shouldn't folks cross all the little streets anyway?

Jerry, what is "meh"? I don't understand that term...
    "Meh" basically means I could take it or leave it. I believe it's an old Yiddish expression.

And I agree with you about rock [[although you went a little Freudian on Eddie Van Halen with "in addiction"). I used to think that if I was an R&B/soul fan, I couldn't appreciate rock as well. That worked in my favor because by the time I opened up my ears, there was 30 years of previously unheard music to listen to and enjoy. I'm kind of biased in that some of my favorite rock bands tend to be black acts [[Fishbone, Living Colour, Bus Boys) but I think I see the world through their eyes. In the end, music appeals to us for various reasons and some music we like, some music we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I have been reading Guitar World's collector's edition featuring Van Halen. I just read the section about how Eddie Van Halen came to do the famous solo on the song "Beat It". In the article, Eddie tells of how Quincy called him one day and how he didn't think it really was him and called him an asshole! LOL! Once convinced it really was Q, and agreed to play on the track, he grabbed his guitar, jumped in his car, and went to the studio. He did two takes, and MJ was standing in the back just loving it. Eddie did the gig for free because he thought his bandmates, who were all out of town, would never find out, and that Van Halen fans would never know. As it turns out, the song broke racial barriers at Black and FM radio, MTV, helped "Thriller" become one of the best-selling albums of all time, and made MJ a superstar. Eddie was never even paid for it, and was just very happy to play on a Michael Jackson record. Of course, Eddie is a fan.

I bought the album in early December of 1982, just a couple of days after it was released. I wasn't too impressed with the album overall, but once I got to side two and hear "Beat It", I thought "Cool! Michael did a rock song! Sounds good!" But, it didn't sound all that unusual, as The Time had their blistering guitar solo on the album version of "777-9311". Earth, Wind & Fire, Prince and Slave, among others, had been doing hard rock guitar solos on their records too. And, even though I was a big Van Halen fan, I somehow never made the connection until I read the liner notes as I listened.

Now, I know there aren't many rock fans around here, but, since Eddie Van Halen never thought anyone would know or care, I wondered how you all felt about the song, and Eddie Van Halen's participation on the song.
    I also bought the album in late '82 and enjoyed it from start to finish. I was buying so many albums back in those days, I never considered which ones were going to become historical for any reason. I just liked good music. Also, I never gave a second thought to rock elements of the record, "Billie Jean", because I had grown up listening to radio stations like CKLW where we got probably equal exposure to all that was popular from the 60's to the early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    "Meh" basically means I could take it or leave it. I believe it's an old Yiddish expression.

And I agree with you about rock [[although you went a little Freudian on Eddie Van Halen with "in addiction"). I used to think that if I was an R&B/soul fan, I couldn't appreciate rock as well. That worked in my favor because by the time I opened up my ears, there was 30 years of previously unheard music to listen to and enjoy. I'm kind of biased in that some of my favorite rock bands tend to be black acts [[Fishbone, Living Colour, Bus Boys) but I think I see the world through their eyes. In the end, music appeals to us for various reasons and some music we like, some music we don't.
    Thanks Jerry for explaining what "meh" means. I've seen it a lot on the internet, but didn't know what it stood for.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I also bought the album in late '82 and enjoyed it from start to finish. I was buying so many albums back in those days, I never considered which ones were going to become historical for any reason. I just liked good music. Also, I never gave a second thought to rock elements of the record, "Billie Jean", because I had grown up listening to radio stations like CKLW where we got probably equal exposure to all that was popular from the 60's to the early 80's.
    You sound like me, Marv. My first stop after cashing my check every week was Record and Tape Outlet. If there was nothing new, I headed to campus record shops to buy second-hand albums and cut-outs. Two to six albums per week. I am still enjoying some of the obscure stuff I bought 30 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    You aren't thinking of "Blame It On The Boogie" by MICK JACKSON are you Tamla617, back in 1978 .. which I believe was the original version of the song ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcDj46elLhQ

As to "Beat It" .. I never liked it much .. I can just about tolerate it but thats it. The "Thriller" L.P. was when I started to lose interest in Mr. Jackson .. I liked the title track, "Billy Jean" and "Wanna Be Starting Something" but most of the rest held no interest to me .. worst track though had to be "The Girl Is Mine".

Roger
    yeah roger thats the one!and not from thriller!

I know I'll probably get some flak for this, but I always thought that there were more enough Black rock guitarists that could have done the solo on Billy Jean just as good if not better than what EVH did. Not that I wasn't impressed with the solo, but it just didn't knock me out like that. One man's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    I know I'll probably get some flak for this, but I always thought that there were more than enough Black rock guitarists that could have done the solo on Billy Jean just as good if not better than EVH did. Not that I wasn't impressed with the solo, but it just didn't knock me out like that. One man's opinion.
Views: 304
    David T. Walker? Robert White? Phil Upchurch?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Ernie Isley, Eddie Hazel.

And certainly, by the time the 1990's rolled around, he could have handpicked anyone from the Black Rock Coalition to do sessions.

Basically Funk is Black Rock and Roll anyway so why shouldn't folks cross all the little streets anyway?
    Amen to that! George Clinton learned that early on.

I know I'll probably get some flak for this, but I always thought that there were more enough Black rock guitarists that could have done the solo on Billy Jean just as good if not better than what EVH did.
    Are you sure you want to leave it like that? We're talking about "Beat It". EVH had to do that solo on "Beat It". His sound is so unique. I don't care what race the guy is. If you really want to go there, I can tell you that the band Toto was MJ's backup band with a few others. They are White, you know.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-12-2012 at 06:02 PM.

I guess that since that can of worms popped open, I'm surprised Quincy didn't recruit George Johnson to play the solo. His brother Louis played bass on most of MJ's solo records to that point, so it seems that George would have been able to do it.

Are you sure you want to leave it like that? We're talking about "Beat It". EVH had to do that solo on "Beat It". His sound is so unique. I don't care what race the guy is. If you really want to go there, I can tell you that the band Toto was MJ's backup band with a few others. They are White, you know.
    Neither do I. But I do know that he could have put some serious axe molesters on the map had he featured them on that song. And no, I don't think he's that unique. No more unique than anyone else that I've mentioned. He may have a lot more flash, but that's about it. He's one of those guitarists with zero blues factor, something that the song could have used.

Amen to that! George Clinton learned that early on.
    That song never really struck me as a black rock song. Just a straight up rock song, which is fine. Same with Dirty Diana.

That song never really struck me as a black rock song. Just a straight up rock song, which is fine. Same with Dirty Diana.
    "Beat It" >>>>> "Dirty Diana" as both a rock song and actual music. "Dirty Diana" sounds a little too much like someone thought "I'm going to make a rock song for Michael Jackson" instead of "Who would be a good singer for this song?". That album of the first four was seemingly composed based upon commercial appeal rather than to take advantage of MJ's talent. In my opinion, it was close to being a cash grab by an artist who, by then, could not miss.

"Beat It" >>>>> "Dirty Diana" as both a rock song and actual music. "Dirty Diana" sounds a little too much like someone thought "I'm going to make a rock song for Michael Jackson" instead of "Who would be a good singer for this song?". That album of the first four was seemingly composed based upon commercial appeal rather than to take advantage of MJ's talent. In my opinion, it was close to being a cash grab by an artist who, by then, could not miss.
    Interesting and truly unique observation, Jerry.

I guess I should also mention that I have never owned a copy of Thriller. I have a MJ 'best of' for DJing parties, but that's about it.

Have you found that the volume of "HIStory" is annoyingly loud? When played along with other records, the gains have to be brought way down. I wonder why they did that?

Have you found that the volume of "HIStory" is annoyingly loud? When played along with other records, the gains have to be brought way down. I wonder why they did that?
    That's very interesting, considering that most greatest hits records usually sound better than the rest of the catalog. At least that has been my experience.

I guess that since that can of worms popped open, I'm surprised Quincy didn't recruit George Johnson to play the solo. His brother Louis played bass on most of MJ's solo records to that point, so it seems that George would have been able to do it.
    But, he didn't play like Eddie! Sometimes a song dictates what elements it needs.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-12-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo

Neither do I. But I do know that he could have put some serious axe molesters on the map had he featured them on that song. And no, I don't think he's that unique. No more unique than anyone else that I've mentioned. He may have a lot more flash, but that's about it. He's one of those guitarists with zero blues factor, something that the song could have used.
    Seems to me that they didn't want a blues factor. Michael wanted hard rock.

Gotta remember that this was the early 80s and everyone was looking for that rock hit. Black artists and record companies were looking for that crossover appeal to White audiences.

I guess I just don't understand your insistience that a Black musician should have played on the record, or that the song should have been a little more bluesier. In fact, I like it that Quincy has rock songs on his portfolio.

I do not agree.

michael had a larger hand in the production duties than hes given credit for..Ive been collecting his demos recently..this week I got "Shake Your Body" and they are always musically near the final song released..im not sayin Quincy didnt have hand but he was extremly lucky to work with someone of Jacksons unique talent..on another demo producer Babyface plays a weird note and Mike chuckles and says "i like that sound"..then in an instant he copies the sound pitch perfect..Mike was a genius he would imitate instruments with a truly amasing duplication vocal skill on demos...strings,guitars the works..

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    You could add Ray Parker Jr, or Melvin "Wah, Wah" Watson to that list

Dang, a whole lot of cans of worms opened up on this thread, didn't they?..
    Ah, for the record, though, even while I consider R&B, blues and Funk to all be Black music, as does
    a mess of non black critics and journalists on the subject, many of the practitioners and contributors
    to the music were white or other. I've never had a problem with that. Black musicians playing Bach or
    Dvorak know they're playing an European art form so what's the boggle? Speaking of Quincy and The
    Brothers Johnson, I remember it freaked a lot of people out to find out that the off the wall guitar solo
    on Strawberry Letter 23 was actually done by Lee Ritenhour, a white cat. Mollyfock had chops to burn!...

The songs guitar solo was played to perfection by EVH. Now I'm not the biggest EVH fan but he did exactly what MJ and his producers were looking for which was to put a rock solo on a pop hit. The song is nowhere near being anything bluesy and I fail to see how a Black guitarist should have played the solo or would have played it any better. Folks always making things bout race up in here....sad.

Quote Originally Posted by funky_fresh View Post
    The songs guitar solo was played to perfection by EVH. Now I'm not the biggest EVH fan but he did exactly what MJ and his producers were looking for which was to put a rock solo on a pop hit. The song is nowhere near being anything bluesy and I fail to see how a Black guitarist should have played the solo or would have played it any better. Folks always making things bout race up in here....sad.
    I wouldn't say that's the case at all, sir...
    Though I don't feel exactly as Tim does about this particular recording, I completely understand his concerns.
    In a "perfect world" I would love to see black artists support and promote other black artists as a matter of cultural
    pride. There are a lot of areas in American music and culture where I wish more people would encourage more of what
    is at root of their own history but I can't force them to. So then if it is something I'm passionate about I have to celebrate it however it comes to me. The banjo, for instance, is descended from an African musical instrument but
    the most famous banjo player in current jazz fusion is Bela Fleck, a white cat I love to pieces. I used to be upset with
    my own people who've abandoned jazz and the blues too, whether it was as a listener or performer, but I don't give a
    shit anymore. I don't need anyone else's ears to listen to John Lee Hooker or, and she happens to be caucasian, Janiva
    Magness...

Speaking of Quincy and The
    Brothers Johnson, I remember it freaked a lot of people out to find out that the off the wall guitar solo
    on Strawberry Letter 23 was actually done by Lee Ritenhour, a white cat. Mollyfock had chops to burn!...
    What I find interesting is that people were freaked out by that.

I agree wholeheartedly.

The race issue in this context is not really that important for me. When I found out about all of the white musicians associated with the sessions of Stax and Muscle Shoals, it blew my mind. Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, and Spooner Oldham were among the greatest soul musicians ever and all of them were white. To say nothing about the Archie Bell & the Drells, of whom Archie was the only brother.

Once again, total BS. I am merely saying that there were many black guitarists on the scene that could have done just as good if not a better solo on that record than EVH, and could've benefited from the exposure. They went for a rock/pop song and that's what they got. Plain and simple. Let's calm ourselves, shall we?

What I find interesting is that people were freaked out by that.
    That was somewhat of a shame, considering that when I saw the BJ in concern back in the 1990's, George did that solo with total perfection. Why he wasn't picked to play on the studio version is a mystery to me.

The race issue in this context is not really that important for me. When I found out about all of the white musicians associated with the sessions of Stax and Muscle Shoals, it blew my mind. Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, and Spooner Oldham were among the greatest soul musicians ever and all of them were white. To say nothing about the Archie Bell & the Drells, of whom Archie was the only brother.
    It generally isn't an issue with me either. But the kind of publicity that a MJ record generates could have been beneficial if a black rock guitarist were involved. I knew I was going to some flak for my comment, but it really doesn't faze me.

To say nothing about the Archie Bell & the Drells, of whom Archie was the only brother.
    Please explain

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    Please explain
    I misspoke to say "The Drells" were white, them being his backup singers. However, the only live version that I saw of "Tighten Up" had white musicians on it.

Thx 4 clearing that up
    Last edited by P-Shark: The Revenge; 05-13-2012 at 11:46 PM.

That was somewhat of a shame, considering that when I saw the BJ in concern back in the 1990's, George did that solo with total perfection. Why he wasn't picked to play on the studio version is a mystery to me.
    George learned it somewhere! That part wasn't written. EVH came up with it on the spot. So, like I said, no one could have played that part but Eddie! I do wonder why you insist that a Black person should have played the solo. I mean, half the guys who played on that album were White. Half of Booker T. & The MG's were White. Many of the Funk Brothers were White. The Muscle Shoals band was all White. Duane Allman played on a lot of Aretha Franklin and Wilson Pickett records. Are you suggesting that all those White people should not have played on Black singers records, or that Blacks should have played on records of Black music? Man, it doesn't matter what color the cats are, as long as they can play that funky music!

George learned it somewhere! That part wasn't written. EVH came up with it on the spot. So, like I said, no one could have played that part but Eddie! I do wonder why you insist that a Black person should have played the solo. I mean, half the guys who played on that album were White. Half of Booker T. & The MG's were White. Many of the Funk Brothers were White. The Muscle Shoals band was all White. Duane Allman played on a lot of Aretha Franklin and Wilson Pickett records. Are you suggesting that all those White people should not have played on Black singers records, or that Blacks should have played on records of Black music? Man, it doesn't matter what color the cats are, as long as they can play that funky music!
    It ain't about color. It's about recognition, something that is in short order for many musicians in the so-called 'Black Rock' genre. Look, I don't need the NAACP-type speech about racial equality. In this particular case, I just feel that there were many Black Rock guitarists that could have done that solo just as good if not better than EVH. Stop acting like you need to get on a soap box to make your point. Jeez...

Let it also be said that my love and respect for all musicians, regardless of race, is well known on this board as it is on other boards on the net including Facebook.

It ain't about color. It's about recognition, something that is in short order for many musicians in the so-called 'Black Rock' genre. Look, I don't need the NAACP-type speech about racial equality. In this particular case, I just feel that there were many Black Rock guitarists that could have done that solo just as good if not better than EVH. Stop acting like you need to get on a soap box to make your point. Jeez...
    I don't have a big opinion on this one way or the next, to be honest. But it would have been interesting to hear Eddie Hazel or Ernie Isley's take on "Beat It".

I too bought Thriller within days of it's release. The LP was released Nov. 30 [[ the usual Tuesday release day) so I'm quite sure i bought it in early December of '82. The single, The Girl is Mine was already on the radio. Didn't think much of that tune, but to me that rarely means the LP can't be good so I picked it up.

I tend to like ballads so I loved, The Lady in My Life from the get go. To me, it was better than, Push Me Away and way better than She's Out of My Life [[a tad corny). The second song that got my attention was, Beat It.

I think we've all forgotten how edgy that song was in 1982. Apart from Funkadelic you just didn't hear black folks recording loud rock and roll tracks. EVH was instantly recognizable on that solo. The tapping, the hammer on's, it's all there and song goes to another level. Yeah, if Mike Hampton, Eddie Hazel or Drac, for that matter, had done the solo it would have been different, it would have put that guitarist way into mainstream awareness. I honestly don't think MJ or Q thought about it that long. Van Halen was super hot at the time. I wouldn't at all surprised if it was simply a matter of "we need rock guitar solo here, let's see if we can get Eddie Van Halen to do it." Vernon Reid would have been an excellent choice except that hardly anyone knew who he was aside from some very hip New Yorkers.

Anyway, I think EVH was a great choice. He's said in several interviews that if he had known the record was going to be that famous he would have played a better solo. Now what would THAT have sounded like?