[REMOVE ADS]

Philly Regrooved 3 The Tom Moulton Remixes

Any Info on this?

Are you talking about another set of Philly Regrooved or the Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes? If it's the latter, the 4 CD set is on sale now.

Just checked with a radio DJ friend in the UK and he said Philly Regrooved 3 won't be released until after the big Philly International box set is released. Not sure if this is good info or not.

The tracks on Philly Regrooved 3 are still being finalized. The album will be out this summer.

I think we're down for late August release on Vol 3 aren't we Tom?

I think we're still both recovering the PIR Remix album LOL.....

No rest for the wicked.......

Ian D

Waiting for approval on several tracks. Ian, Reid is still waiting to hear from you?

OK Tom. I'll give him a buzz....

Ian

Thanks for the info guys!
    This is turning out to be a great year for Philly tracks!

BTW: thought I saw some more Philly re-issues mentioned on the Harmless site last week that are now gone or was I dreaming?

Found them again: its Digital downloads only: Norman Harris,Archie Bell and Leon Huff.,
    Last edited by jack020; 05-08-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Tom, can I ask you a question about a track you used on the 'Philly ReGrooved -- T.M. Remixes' Vol.1 CD.
    Its track 5 :- Nat Turner [[featuring Major Harris) - Ruby Lee [[orig Philly Groove 171 issued in 1972)

I have this song but it's credited just to Major Harris. His version was cut for WMOT [[& released by Atlantic) & my version came off the Major Harris 'Jealousy' LP [[1976).

I only have your remix of the Philly Groove version [[I think); can you recall if there is much difference between the original Philly Groove version & the WMOT version.
    Do you know why Major H decided to cut the song again [[& in a very similar style) ??

Norman cut it again on Major's album because he believed it should have been a hit .

Tom , I'd like to thank you for that remix of Loose Change ,"Straight From The Heart". For years I had imagined in my head how a remix of that track would be sequenced and it's uncanny how you actually did it almost exactly as i've imagined it ,even better. Your "purist" method of remixing with only the original elements of a recording is so appriciated. As a follower from the start , I'm glad to see that you are finally getting the recognition that's due to you and the oppourtunity to share your aural visions of these excellent vintage recordings and the stories behind them. Thanks.

Thanks daddyacey

Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes is brilliant. Three of my favorite songs are on this box set and I can't get past them. I put them on my MP3 and am playing the three songs continuously in my car. One of my all time favorite songs is You'll Never Find Another Love by Lou Rawls. On this, and my other two favorites, When Will I See You Again, and The Love I Lost, there are brilliant instrumental intros. I'm usually not a great fan of remixes. I'll listen to them once or twice and then put them away and go back to the original. The great thing about these mixes is that they don't destroy or change the original arrangement - they enhance it. I'm not a music critic, but I know what I like and I like this. I'm stuck on these three songs just because I like them so much, but I'm looking forward to listening to more of the set this Memorial Day Weekend, especially, Where Do We Go From Here by the Trammps
    Last edited by milven; 05-24-2012 at 04:23 PM.

A friend of mine made me a copy of the "Re-Edits set". I intially was not impressed but after a few listens I did find some of the edits interesting. I currently have TOM's Philly set on order but have previewed most of it from on-line sources. As a D.J. from the start of the phenomina [[late 60's early 70's) , i followed the likes of John Morales and the others who pioneered the "Edit' genre ,from cassette pause editing to razor cutting etc , but the mixes of T.M. were the best ,a result of him having access to the multi's rather than having to alter and manipulate the 2 channel sources that we had to work with. In a nut shell I have come to realize that the "Remix" and the "Re-Edit" have two distinct points of view. The Re-Edit has some points of merit but the adding of non original elements and effects ,can be very intrusive on the original ideas of the writers and performers of the original works. Actually it is the interpretation of the Re-Editor/Re-Producer that is the end result of most "Re-Edit's. Some of which really go too far to an extreme. The Re-Mix however ,using original elements from the multi tracks, brings out the performances of the musicians and provides closer attention to the actual writing of the tracks by accenting passages that are short or mixed way down low in the original mix. They are done this way for time constraints or other reasons ,that don't favor some of the best parts of the recording. For Re-Mixers using the original tracks ,such as Tom [[The Master!!!) and others [[Levan , T-Scott ,Gibbons etc) ,actually "Re-Conduct" ,the original composition by restucturing and augmenting the original performances of individual musicians and the writers ,that were not in the original released mixes. The Re-Mix is the supreme alternate view of a good track ,[[IMO) ,especially when it is done well. While I consider the Re-Edit and the Re-Mix both important artforms , the Remix in my opinion is pure science. The Re-Mix is what you would hear as a LIVE interpretation ,restructure ,of the original track and spotlights the blood and sweat of those involved in the original creation from the writers and musicians and recordists. Long live the Re-Mix.