[REMOVE ADS]

Bobby Vee suffering from Alzheimer's

LATEST MUSIC News

1960s teen pop idol Bobby Vee reveals that he has alzheimer's disease

May 2, 2012

Nineteen-sixties teen pop idol Bobby Vee has revealed that he's suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

The 69-year-old, who was born Robert Thomas Velline in 1943, posted a message on his website with the news.

"A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with the mild stages of Alzheimer's disease," he wrote. "Needless to say it was a moment that stunned my family and myself to the core. Since this time I have chosen to remain private and to focus on what is most important to me: my family and my music. It has been a time to reflect and to just be. To create memories for my grandchildren and to celebrate life's goodness. To throw baseballs and catch fish. To be the audience."

Vee's wife Karen is also having health problems and is waiting for a lung transplant at Duke University.

"Together and with our amazing family we treasure each moment, and we hope and pray for the best outcomes," says Vee.

Vee got his career start at the age of 15 on the day Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper were killed in a plane crash in 1959. When the three headline acts died en route to the traveling Winter Dance Party in Moorhead, Minnesota, Velline and a hastily-assembled band of schoolboys calling themselves The Shadows volunteered for and were given Holly's spot. It was a smash success.

Vee's hits include 1961's "Take Good Care of My Baby" and "Run to Him."

Billboard reports that Vee is working on a new album.

That's sad news. I was a fan back then. I liked a lot of his music. His first hit was a cover of the Clovers' DEVIL OR ANGEL. It was pretty good. Of course the original was better, but back then, I hadn't heard the original.

Oh wow - that's so sad - Glen Campbell and now Bobby Vee. I hope they can get help for him before it gets too bad.

Rare Footate of Bobby Vee & his wife from the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    LATEST MUSIC News

1960s teen pop idol Bobby Vee reveals that he has alzheimer's disease

May 2, 2012

Nineteen-sixties teen pop idol Bobby Vee has revealed that he's suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

The 69-year-old, who was born Robert Thomas Velline in 1943, posted a message on his website with the news.

"A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with the mild stages of Alzheimer's disease," he wrote. "Needless to say it was a moment that stunned my family and myself to the core. Since this time I have chosen to remain private and to focus on what is most important to me: my family and my music. It has been a time to reflect and to just be. To create memories for my grandchildren and to celebrate life's goodness. To throw baseballs and catch fish. To be the audience."

Vee's wife Karen is also having health problems and is waiting for a lung transplant at Duke University.

"Together and with our amazing family we treasure each moment, and we hope and pray for the best outcomes," says Vee.

Vee got his career start at the age of 15 on the day Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper were killed in a plane crash in 1959. When the three headline acts died en route to the traveling Winter Dance Party in Moorhead, Minnesota, Velline and a hastily-assembled band of schoolboys calling themselves The Shadows volunteered for and were given Holly's spot. It was a smash success.

Vee's hits include 1961's "Take Good Care of My Baby" and "Run to Him."

Billboard reports that Vee is working on a new album.
    Rare Bobby Vee Footage

http://www.lowdollars.com/videos/myr...s-part-1-of-6/

A friend of mine called me and told me this yesterday I was so sorry to hear this news. My favorite song by him is Beautiful People and Come Back When you Grow up. Nice guy who has a great affiliation with the Crickets. Stay strong Bobby
    Stephanie

I'm sorry to hear this news, especially after my fathers Alzheimer's struggle.I was neighbors with Bobby's daughter in Minneapolis in the 90's.I often saw Bobby and chatted with him about music,local politics and family.He is truly one of the nicest guys around,greets you with a genuine smile. His daughter,son in law and sons are good people too. I wish Bobby and his family all the best with this tough situation.

I always remember a young Bobby Vee singing "Run To Him" on American Bandstand with those young ladies all around him. Time is something else.

Best wishes to Bobby.

It's so horrible to see such wonderful talents slip away from us. It seems to be too frequent lately.