[REMOVE ADS]

Talking Liverpool, Western & Pop, Sam Cooke

I know we have the Copa album coming out but I am curious as to if and when "A Bit Of Liverpool", "Sing Country, Western & Pop", and "We Remember Sam Cooke" will be remastered to cd through hip-oselect? I know these albums weren't the best but I want to know more history about them. If it means doing them as a 3 cd box set with the stereo and mono mixes of the albums to get them out sooner then I would be happy with that. George, Andy, Harry? Any comments?

That is a nice concept, banding the 3 albums together, with all the out takes from the timeline. Somehow, I think it would have to fit on two CDs to work.

Some earlier CD covers.
    Attachment 4824

RossHolloway Guest
    Well if you're going to group those three theme albums together, why not also add in Sing and Perform Funny Girl? I think collective the four albums, plus any extras would make for a nice box set that would sell nicely..

Haven't all the outakes from these albums already been released? There were the 2 tracks from "LIverpool" and 1 from "Sam Cooke" on the 'Lost & Found" set. Any from "Country, Western & Pop" were probably included in either the "Meet" deluxe or the "Where Did Our Love Go" deluxe sets. I managed to finally acquire "Country, Western & Pop" & "Sam Cooke" individually on CD after years of looking but I would love a 2 disc set of these 3 albums with the superior audio [[and packaging!) that Harry, Andy, George & Kevin have been producing!!!!

RossHolloway Guest
    Were there any outtakes from Sing and Perform Funny Girl?

I would also like to see the mono and stereo versions of these three albums released. However, my preference would be for each to be separate releases. If there is not enough material for two discs then one disc would be fine, similar to what was done previously for the Merry Christmas and Rodgers & Hart albums.

I recently burned a CD-R that included the Liverpool album and all Beatles/British songs, studio and LIVE, sung by The Supremes and Diana Ross through 1971. An Expanded Edition could include the mono & stereo albums on Disc 1 and all their other Beatles/British related recordings on Disc 2. That would keep the release as genre-specific, despite being outside the timeline, and possibly expand interest beyond a limited number of fans who would be interested in a combined release containing three different genres.

CW&P might only be one disc if all other songs from that timeline have been or will be included on other expanded releases.

Sam Cooke could have the mono and stereo albums on Disc 1. Disc 2 could include the countless versions of the LIVE Sam Cooke Medley that are probably still unreleased from the vault! Sorry, couldn't resist being a wiseguy.

All that being said, I would prefer to have all their singles-related albums receive the Expanded Edition treatment first. Although, to be honest, I would prefer seeing these three albums, and Funny Girl, released before any of their 1969 output.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 05-03-2012 at 07:02 AM.

"I have "Sing & Perform Funny Girl" on cd and I don`t think I`ve played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Shame on you. I've played mine at least twice since I burned it onto CD-R over 10 years ago.

I had the same question. Why were these skipped over? Would love to have them all since they have done such a wonderful job on the expanded editions.

I recall from the Nightflight shows, Andy or George mentioning they like the idea of putting all 4 of these "Songbook" themed releases together in a box set. I would love to experience "Funny Girl" on CD since that and On Broadway have never seen an official release and my needle drop MP3 never compare to what Kevin does with those tapes in the expanded series. My theory is they will stick to focusing on the timeline first with the studio and live albums then go back around to the concept LP's. Although I wouldn't mind an expanded Merry Christmas in my stocking this coming Xmas. At least it seems like they are coming out faster now. At the old rate they were joking about us getting Cream Of The Crop in 2047! All I can say is keep buying them and buy extras as Holiday & Birthday gifts!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Ha! I bought the LP in the 70's and played it once. I love Streisand and I loved the movie.
    Believe me, you ain't missed nothin' special..! I think they knocked that one out on a wet Wednesday afternoon!

I have the C&W mono album, and bought the stereo version on ebay, it had stereo on the front cover, stereo on the label, but on playing it, it was mono. I know three other people that have the same stereo version and theirs too are mono. So I would love to hear the stereo version, and would snap-up a box set. Anyone else out there that has also bought the mono/stereo album? And does anyone know why this happened?

I would kill to get the Diana Ross and The Supremes Funny Girl album on CD; it's brilliant, enjoyable listening, this album got lost upon release in a log jam of too many Supremes albums in a short period of time, and there being no 'hit single' attached, well, well...
    do the BOX SET of the 4 theme albums, please, sooner than later...

"Sing & Perform Funny Girl" also didn't do well because it was the worst idea Berry Gordy ever thought for an album. The album is fantastic in vocal delivery and arrangements, but what a bad idea. Did he really think it would sell? They would have done better releasing the Disney Classics album in its place.

it should have been marketed to an older, 'posh nightclub' audience..I honestly don't remember it being marketed at all, there should have been a tv special or something to tie in..even when they did "Cornet Man" on tv I don't remember the album being mentioned.. and we didn't have the internet back then..

Jimi if you supply your address I`ll get a copy away asap. Regs. Roger.

It was timed right around release of the movie and Styne [[of the real Funny Girl) wrote liner notes. So why did it fail?

because with out promotion and radio airplay how was anyone to know it was out? Can't read the liner notes if you don't know that there's an album to go along with it.. and the soundtrack album to "Funny Girl" had a major push and got all the attention

thanks, Roger..

Like Glen, I recall George or Andy talking about these albums on a Nightflight show; what I recall is one of them saying they would like to see all of the albums released eventually. But these specialty CDS would have to come after critical albums like Baby It's Me I would think............the market for the specialty albums will be smaller. I believe the sales for a CD like Meet the Supremes has been distinctly smaller than for More Hits or Diana Ross 1976.

I agree; one or two of these releases that bomb in the sales department could put the whammy on everything else; I suppose "I Hear A Symphony" or "Supremes a Go Go" should be next..

Though what I've heard of the Disney sessions is pretty pedestrian, I think these 3 LPs [[C&W, Liverpool and Sam Cooke) would make a great double set with finally the complete Disney album to wrap up most of the concept LPs. I think it would sell. Most Sups fans I'm sure like at least 1 or 2 of those LPs.

I think the C&W and Cooke sets are great, the Liverpool and Disney have a hurried-up and lame quality to the singing and arrangements, in my opinion.

The Sam Cooke CD is pretty good and was a decent sized hit - but at that time, anything Supremes would sell. Shake is doing very well by the Supremes.

Putting these CDs together at the end of the releases is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I know we have the Copa album coming out but I am curious as to if and when "A Bit Of Liverpool", "Sing Country, Western & Pop", and "We Remember Sam Cooke" will be remastered to cd through hip-oselect? I know these albums weren't the best but I want to know more history about them. If it means doing them as a 3 cd box set with the stereo and mono mixes of the albums to get them out sooner then I would be happy with that. George, Andy, Harry? Any comments?
    NEVER! Not until they remaster and release some of the great material by the Four Tops! hehehehehehe......