[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Radio station wrks and wbls in new york merge

In all of my years of listening to NY radio, I don't think I've seen anything like this.

http://www.987kissfm.com/Channels/Ne...spx?ID=1693630

Sad day in The Big Apple!

Tom, I don't know how to react to this. I've had my issues with 98.7Kiss for years, but I've never seen a move like this. I've never seen [[at least in the tri-state area) one station buy out their competitor. I'm sure it has happened in other markets.

There is a bit more to the story. BLS was black owned , but their owner, Inner City Broadcasting went bankrupt. [[I think they also owned the Apollo Theater).

KISS and WBLS have both been suffering in ratings since they changed the ratings system from the diary system. So the owners of KISS leased the station to DISNEY and now DISNEY is going to simulcast their WFAN 1050 AM sports station on the KISS frequency.

KISS is definitely done when its frequency starts broadcasting sports Monday. The new owners of BLS could have also dumped the format and broadcast something more adaptable to the new ratings system , like vanilla LITE format. But they didn't. They came up with this rather bizarre and unusual solution of merging the talents of two stations to keep one of these institutions . I think it is better than losing both.

I must admit that I no longer listen to either of these stations, but that's just because my tastes are stuck in the seventies. But BLS has given me a lot of joy especially at 4pm when Frankie Crocker came on. And it was 98.7 that made me switch from AM to beautiful stereo FM. It was WOR-FM back then. I can still hear the jingle. "More Music, WOR-FM". Later, it was WXLO. Both stations have given me a lot of joy.

KISS is gone. But with the merger , maybe BLS [[combined with KISS) can survive. I wish the combination success.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    In all of my years of listening to NY radio, I don't think I've seen anything like this.

http://www.987kissfm.com/Channels/Ne...spx?ID=1693630
    Timmy is this a joke or what?

I listen to KISS every week, def. on Sundays. There has been no mention of this by any of the on air personalities. This seems rather sudden after being on the air for over 30 years.

Marv, listen to either station tomorrow and Sunday. They are doing a weekend long tribute to Kiss-FM. Then Monday BLS will continue with the blended staff of the two stations as "One Family, One Station" under the BLS call letters and 107.5 frequency.

When I heard this news last night I thought that it was unthinkable.

I immediately wondered exactly what musical demographic this new union was going to target. Having met many of the on-air personalities, my next thought was how this merger was going to affect them...who might go & who might stay.

My next thought was were they going to keep "Open Line" which features Bob Slade, James Mtume & Bob Pickett? And with Hal Jackson being a New York radio institution & "The Rhythm Review" with Felix Hernandez being so wildly popular, as well as Bob Slade & "Soul Beginnings", what happens there? Seems a bit redundant to keep all 3 shows on one station.

You also have, OOOPS...HAD competing syndicated shows with Steve Harvey vs Tom Joyner in the morning, then Jeff Foxx vs Michael Baisden from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.. How will those situations be reconciled & with salaries, egos * popularity being what they are, this doesn't exactly scream "easy transition".

Worst of all, this leaves the biggest media market with one less urban radio station, which leaves yet again less opportunity for artists to have their music played terrestrially & even less variety available.

This is pretty much like waking up one morning to hear that the Mets & Yankees have decided to merge.

For a variety of reasons, both past, present & future, this is not a great, much less even a good day for N.Y. urban radio.

I like your simile of the Yankees and Mets. But it would be better to have one merged NY baseball team than the alternative , which is for both of them to be gone. Tom Joyner will lose his job and Jeff Foxx will keep his job.

Steve Harvey morning drive
    Sheila of Kiss 10 to 3
    Jeff Foxx of BLS 3 to 7
    Lenny Green of Kiss 7 to midnight.

One less place to hear and break music. Frankie Crocker was a throwback to the fifties dee-jay. Personality driven radio and he did not stick to a tight playlist. BLS and KISS broke a lot of music in a very important market back in the day. I don't know if they still have that power since I no longer listen, but it is a shame that we have to lose one of them.

Milven,

I didn't get back to the WBLS website so thanks for that info.

Tom Joyner has a pretty sizeable audience, but so does Steve, so there's no fall-off there. Jeff Foxx over Baisden is a bit surprising given the women listeners that Baisden has.

To be honest, the DJ doesn't wield the MUSICAL power that Frankie & others enjoyed & truthfully, they don't want DJ's to ever have THAT kind of power. One of the sticks that they used to strip the power from the DJ's was payola, but that's a load of garbage. The truth is that with the tighter playlists of today being made by ONE P.D., there's greater opportunity for payola than there ever was before.

Another thing that has hurt is this concept of having syndicated shows, which tend to make every region sound the same & tends to strip them of any local flavor whatsoever. Kind of a "one size fits all" approach to radio & that's why future generations will never be able to speak about the kind of radio legends in the way that we do.

Finally, considering whom owns what, I have a feeling that this has more to do with sports talk radio wars & getting a station on an FM station [[with much more power & reach than the am dial) & next-to-nothing to do with considering how this impacts the N.Y. urban radio landscape.

Back in the day, you could've never told that the conglomerates would've treated N.Y. radio [[soul, rock, country, etc.) so horribly. And to think, we're supposed to be one of the more "sophisticated" & "diverse'' musical cities.

Wonder what would happen if we were in West Bubble Whatever because it couldn't possibly be any worse than this mess we call ''N.Y. Radio'' today.

I am sorry guys but I have a STRONG feeling that this is not going to work! Something really funky must have went down behind the scenes. I now just want "Open Mic" and "The Week In Review". I listen to internet radio like CM's SoMuchSoul for my music. This is really devastating to me.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    This is pretty much like waking up one morning to hear that the Mets & Yankees have decided to merge.

For a variety of reasons, both past, present & future, this is not a great, much less even a good day for N.Y. urban radio.
    That is a good analogy! This news is not sinking in with me yet. Each of the programs you mentioned are very established and with loyal listeners. How they will keep them all is a mystery to me at this moment. WWRL......where are you?!

They are going to have to find a spot for Michael Baisden. He is too popular to not be in NYC market.

Marv:

I believe that it's not so much that something funky went down. I believe that it's a part of a much bigger picture & I believe that it has less to do with music & more to do with the kind of ad dollars & the demographic that can be reached.

This may have a little something to do with this decision:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...jjSbZMAedV2PqI

Some of what's in this wiki may also shine a little light...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRKS

Marv:

I believe that it's not so much that something funky went down. I believe that it's a part of a much bigger picture & I believe that it has less to do with music & more to do with the kind of ad dollars & the demographic that can be reached.

This may have a little something to do with this decision:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...jjSbZMAedV2PqI
    Charles "the Cut Man" ALWAYS said that! or rather Judge Pickett.....

This reminds me of when WKLR-99.9 FM one of the R&B/Soul Stations I listened to growing was bought in 1981 and it's format changed to Country Music 24 hours a day. Things were just never the same.

I remember the payola scandals that Peter Tripp, Alan Freed, Murray The K, and even to a lesser degree, Dick Clark, got caught up in. But when the dee-jays had the power, radio was so much better. I remember Peter Tripp playing some records three times in a row. [[Later I found out he was receiving payola) They created their own shows and were able to pick out their own music. After the payola scandals, the program directors took over and the dee-jays were only allowed to play the tight playlist that the program director gave him. But does one have to wonder how the program director decided what was going to be on that playlist?

Frankie Crocker was a throwback to the the personality dee-jay. He seemed to be immune from the program list that he provided as program director and was allowed to play anything that he wanted. I loved the shows that he put together. And there were times when he played a song more than once. Hmmmm! No doubt that he had a lot of power in the NYC music industry. And he used it.

I, too, am no fan of the syndicated, one size fits all dee jay program. They say that when Frankie Crocker is not on your radio, your radio isn't on. Mine isn't on. It went off when Wendy Williams and talk took over for music.

I mean seriously, do you all think that ESPN Radio is going to survive on FM in NYC for long? I mean I have at least 6 ESPN Stations on my cable already.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This reminds me of when WKLR-99.9 FM one of the R&B/Soul Stations I listened to growing was bought in 1981 and it's format changed to Country Music 24 hours a day. Things were just never the same.
    Music is slowly leaving us on radio. Jazz CD-101 is gone, years ago, we lost jazz WRVR and for a while we even lost our oldies station WCBS-FM to JACK. It came back, but doesn't play anything from the sixties or fifties anymore. Guess people who like classic rock and R&B and Soul are all dead.

Marv,

There's been a big battle between 660 WFAN & 1050 ESPN & the stakes are high. FM radio opens up different possibilities, not to mention greater reach & a more powerful signal for ESPN. And if having that FM means that ESPN can attract the Yankees to move there, then it's one hell of a coup.

Now here's where it gets interesting...

The article clearly states that the ESPN deal was brokered between Emmis & ESPN & didn't mention Inner City Broadcasting [[owners of WBLS) at all. This would indicate 2 things...

1. KISS-FM was a done deal, finished...POINT BLANK!
    2. WBLS had the opportunity to save jobs which were already lost & were able to pick talent whom would make them stronger, almost by default. As you can see from the links, this is far bigger picture than music & if they're able to get the Yankees to move over to FM [[and why wouldn't the Yankees want still MO', MO' MO' exposure??), the revenues, broadened demographic[[s) & accompanying prestige would definitely be a big deal for ESPN in their ratings war with WFAN.

Considering the much bigger picture for the corporate folks, KISS-FM was more than acceptable "collateral damage".

Millven,

It seems as though these folks believe that anything that preceeded "Thriller" OR "Footloose" is null & void these days!

That's a shame, but that's what happens when you take MUSIC people out of the business of music.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Music is slowly leaving us on radio. Jazz CD-101 is gone, years ago, we lost jazz WRVR and for a while we even lost our oldies station WCBS-FM to JACK. It came back, but doesn't play anything from the sixties or fifties anymore. Guess people who like classic rock and R&B and Soul are all dead.
    I was about to mention that, another monumentally disasterous change! When WCBS went Jacked, it was the worst move a station had made in recent years! I don't think it lasted a whole year.

Marv,

There's been a big battle between 660 WFAN & 1050 ESPN & the stakes are high. FM radio opens up different possibilities, not to mention greater reach & a more powerful signal for ESPN. And if having that FM means that ESPN can attract the Yankees to move there, then it's one hell of a coup.

Now here's where it gets interesting...

The article clearly states that the ESPN deal was brokered between Emmis & ESPN & didn't mention Inner City Broadcasting [[owners of WBLS) at all. This would indicate 2 things...

1. KISS-FM was a done deal, finished...POINT BLANK!
    2. WBLS had the opportunity to save jobs which were already lost & were able to pick talent whom would make them stronger, almost by default. As you can see from the links, this is far bigger picture than music & if they're able to get the Yankees to move over to FM [[and why wouldn't the Yankees want still MO', MO' MO' exposure??), the revenues, broadened demographic[[s) & accompanying prestige would definitely be a big deal for ESPN in their ratings war with WFAN.

Considering the much bigger picture for the corporate folks, KISS-FM was more than acceptable "collateral damage".
    I hear what you are saying and I really understand them attempting to lure the Yankees. However, I also know that KISS-FM had a large and very loyal audience that should not be taken lightly when it comes to advertising dollars! I do not know the financial condition of Inner City Broadcasting, but I do know that if they were on the ball, they would almost double their rates for adverstizing now to large clients. The real collateral damage is going felt by the smaller businesses and organizations that advertised on WRKS and the "old" WBLS. There are not going to be able to afford them now........

...I do not know the financial condition of Inner City Broadcasting, but I do know that if they were on the ball, they would almost double their rates for advertising now to large clients...
    Inner City Broadcasting filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy last year. WBLS was recently bought in bankruptcy court by an equity group called YMF Partners. They are hoping that the merger will create one strong station out of two shaky ones. YMF could have switched formats and but instead they are trying this. At least it gives WBLS a chance to survive with an urban format. With the new ratings system that eliminated diaries, urban stations are not doing too well in the ratings system and therefore are having trouble getting advertising dollars. The merger, at least, gives them a fighting chance to create a strong urban station and compete for advertising dollars. One is better than none. I rather see the merger, rather than have KISS die [[which it will Monday) and have BLS switch sometime down the road to country or talk or sports or something other than urban.

From a cultural and historical point of view it's sad because I grew up with black radio but I know we
    are becoming more corporate controlled every day in this country. Especially in New York. Still I won't be
    affected much by this because 1) I rarely listened to each station in the last 20 + years, 2) I never listen
    to sports radio and 3) my radio station's non commercial and I can hear Felix Hernandez's Rhythm Revue
    where it originated in addiction to all the new and old jazz and blues that gets me through each day.
    I know Tom Joyner was let go but I wouldn't worry about him because he has a very sucessful website.
    Otherwise, well you know the saying; Que Sera, sera...

Inner City Broadcasting filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy last year. WBLS was recently bought in bankruptcy court by an equity group called YMF Partners. They are hoping that the merger will create one strong station out of two shaky ones. YMF could have switched formats and but instead they are trying this. At least it gives WBLS a chance to survive with an urban format. With the new ratings system that eliminated diaries, urban stations are not doing too well in the ratings system and therefore are having trouble getting advertising dollars. The merger, at least, gives them a fighting chance to create a strong urban station and compete for advertising dollars. One is better than none. I rather see the merger, rather than have KISS die [[which it will Monday) and have BLS switch sometime down the road to country or talk or sports or something other than urban.
    I think that equity group is Magic Johnson's group.

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    I think that equity group is Magic Johnson's group.
    I saw Magic on Letterman the other night and he didn't mention this. Yeah! He is part of the group. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the M in YMF refers to Magic.

I should call this "Surreal Sunday" because I am listening to the very final moments of KISS-FM's "Open-Line" AND I have on the retrospective of "Like It Is" with Gil Nobles on channel 7! I did not have enough time to adjust to all of this. It feels like the sudden death of a friend. Since 1995 I have never missed Open-Line and/or Week In Review unless I was out of town. I wished I could have had more notice that this was going down.

i'm sad, but not surprised. truth be told, not many people listen to commercial radio anymore, i know i don't! actually, sports radio is all i listen to, i listen to felix on bgo, cause his kiss show is watered down from what he normally play[[and it wasn't by choice either) that's one of the main reasons why i created my own show, there are no guidelines, i play what i want, and what the people want. i always try to give my listeners a good mixture of the hits and the classics that went under the radar or as i like to call it that oh wow moment and kiss hasn't given me that in years. i will miss bob slade, but i'm sure he will get picked up somewhere. P.S. THANKS FOR THE SHOUTOUT BROTHER MARV! timmyfunk, thanks for the bday shoutout on fb, what's up juice?

Quote Originally Posted by the_classic_master View Post
    i'm sad, but not surprised. truth be told, not many people listen to commercial radio anymore, i know i don't! actually, sports radio is all i listen to, i listen to felix on bgo, cause his kiss show is watered down from what he normally play[[and it wasn't by choice either) that's one of the main reasons why i created my own show, there are no guidelines, i play what i want, and what the people want. i always try to give my listeners a good mixture of the hits and the classics that went under the radar or as i like to call it that oh wow moment and kiss hasn't given me that in years. i will miss bob slade, but i'm sure he will get picked up somewhere. P.S. THANKS FOR THE SHOUTOUT BROTHER MARV! timmyfunk, thanks for the bday shoutout on fb, what's up juice?
    Unfortunately, this is true. I've been telling people for the last few years that the best radio stations aren't on the radio. They're on cable. The Funk station on Direct TV is the truth. And they don't just play the regular shit.

C.M.

What's up brother? I see that you're still hanging in there & doing your thing just like you said that you would!

It's sad to say but given the musical landscape of today & the economics involved, I can easily imagine a day not too far away, when we'll see NO urban music radio stations here in N.Y.C.

These days everything revolves around the almighty dollar & unless the urban audience listens to these stations in numbers equalling that of sports programming, talk radio, infomercial programming [[which actually pays the stations for their slots), etc., then we'd run the risk of losing these stations by default.

The sad truth of the matter is that for the most paart, this equals a demographic that most of the ''beautiful'' people have already written off. Which is why a show like "The Imus Show", while not having overwhelming numbers can actually survive & thrive. And it's all due to that magic word "DEMOGRAPHIC". He pulls in the "TYPE" of listeners that most of these hotshots are trying to attract & I'm willing to bet that there's a hell of a diifference in the ad rates & revenues between their stations & the urban ones & what they can command.

For an easy reference point, simply consider the type of advertising that you hear on shows like Imus, Limbaugh or just about any NON-urban radio station & compare it to the type of advertising that you've been hearing on urban radio stations for the last God-knows how many years.

I may be wrong about this, but I'm willing to guess that I'm not too far off here, but I'm willing to admit it if I am.

What troubles me Juice, is that many are making WBLS to be the villain in all of this. People have some short memory spans. They tend to forget the WBLS was the voice of NY's African-American community way before Kiss FM ever hit the scene. I know that they've fallen short of their potential of late, but maybe the merge will help to restore their reputation.

@Tim,
    I don't have cable so I can't know what The Funk Station sounds like. When you say they don't play just the regular
    shit I have to ask could you list some examples?...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    @Tim,
    I don't have cable so I can't know what The Funk Station sounds like. When you say they don't play just the regular
    shit I have to ask could you list some examples?...
    Funk Inc., the P-Funk left field spin offs, Osibisa, Betty Davis. Deeper than what you'd expect from a Funk music cable station.

The change is in effect. I tuned into 98.7 by habit in the car today. It will never be the same.,........

yes sir, juice! somebody gotta hold it down in this one classic soul pony town!

yes sir, juice! somebody gotta hold it down in this one classic soul pony town!
    Hhahahahah....You go C.M.!@ LOL!!!!

3 years and counting, brother marv, check out my 70's show when you get a chance.

3 years and counting, brother marv, check out my 70's show when you get a chance.
    Tonight is the perfect night for it. I am on it! Thanks bro!

Timmy

I haven't been hearing that here in N.Y. If so, that is so unfounded.

Considering what's really behind this & the fact that KISS was going to be gone, if anything, WBLS is taking talent which was going to be unemployed & gave them a job.

The other day, Michael Baisden was making overtures & a write-in campaign to save his job. I would think that if anyone would be upset, it would be those whom were already on WBLS who now find themselves on the outside looking in.

Most of us look at this from a musical perspective, but I think back to the days when Black radio was an integral part of the community & addressed issues which affected us. So, for me, even more than the loss of a MUSIC station, we've lost yet another voice which is sensitive to our issues & addressed them in ways that the Hannitys & Limbaughs never would, nor would they ever want to.

So for me, this loss goes much deeper than just the music & these diminishing links to our communities hasn't been the least but helpful & has contributed to some of the chasms that exist today. Give me the days of WWRL, WNJR & WLIB when we had a strong sense of community & radio played a huge role in that feeling.

We just keep losing it layer by layer & that's a shame.

CM

Well somebody has to do it & I'm glad that you have the time, focus & drive to do it.

Keep on doing your thing brother, keep doing your thing.

Didn't Felix get started this way?

I am sorry guys but I have a STRONG feeling that this is not going to work! Something really funky must have went down behind the scenes. I now just want "Open Mic" and "The Week In Review". I listen to internet radio like CM's SoMuchSoul for my music. This is really devastating to me.
    Good news for you Marv. In this morning's paper, it says that BLS will broadcast OPEN LINE in its same Sunday time slot.

Also announced, Fredd Buggs will be on Sat from 10 am - 2 p,m and Felix Hernandez Rhythem Revue Sunday from noon to 3 pm.

I haven't listened to radio in years, but there used to be a very old Dee-jay on BLS on weekends that played classic music. He was probably past 90 and I think in later years broadcast with his wife. Sorry, I can't remember his name but I liked his show back in the day and I think he was still on BLS as of last year. Is he still on? And if so, has he been displaced with this move?

but there used to be a very old Dee-jay on BLS on weekends that played classic music. He was probably past 90 and I think in later years broadcast with his wife. Sorry, I can't remember his name but I liked his show back in the day and I think he was still on BLS as of last year. Is he still on? And if so, has he been displaced with this move?
    Bite your tongue! That is the incomparable Mr. Hal Jackson you are referring to! That man is a saint! I was listening to him long before I ever heard of or met Felix!

Anyway thanks for the heads up about Open Line. It was going to be challenge this weekend without them. Thanks again.

Thanks Marv. I have had that on my mind all day and refused to google it since I know the name so well. Tested my failing memory and it failed. I know that Hal was still doing Sunday Classics last year, but I don't listen to radio anymore and was wondering if he was still on. And if so, will he remain on with the new combined format. If he is in good health, he can celebrate his 100th birthday on the air. He is somewhere in his late nineties.

More of this same corporate Pacman is going on here on the West Coast too. Recently there have been major shakeups at many AM and FM stations in San Francisco to the point where I don't recognize any of the familiar stations or the deejays. Radio veterans with 20-30 yrs or more in the same market have simply been shown to the door by the new faceless corporate owners, with little to no prior notice.

The latest victim is 102.9 FM KBLX "The Quiet Storm" in Berkeley, a local Black-owned station with deep connections to the Bay Area. I believe they've been around since about 1978. Admittedly, I rarely listened anymore as I don't care for "New R&B" music. Nevertheless, I was surprised to find they've gone bankrupt and been taken over by Entercom, whoever that is. The sleasy ad campaign has begun; how they care deeply about the loyal Bay Area listeners, yada, yada...In spite of firing most of their on-air talent, including the popular morning man, Kevin Brown, who's being replaced by...yep, you guessed it: Steve Harvey, from some highrise in another time zone...Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineonacloudyday View Post
    More of this same corporate Pacman is going on here on the West Coast too. Recently there have been major shakeups at many AM and FM stations in San Francisco to the point where I don't recognize any of the familiar stations or the deejays. Radio veterans with 20-30 yrs or more in the same market have simply been shown to the door by the new faceless corporate owners, with little to no prior notice.

The latest victim is 102.9 FM KBLX "The Quiet Storm" in Berkeley, a local Black-owned station with deep connections to the Bay Area. I believe they've been around since about 1978. Admittedly, I rarely listened anymore as I don't care for "New R&B" music. Nevertheless, I was surprised to find they've gone bankrupt and been taken over by Entercom, whoever that is. The sleasy ad campaign has begun; how they care deeply about the loyal Bay Area listeners, yada, yada...In spite of firing most of their on-air talent, including the popular morning man, Kevin Brown, who's being replaced by...yep, you guessed it: Steve Harvey, from some highrise in another time zone...Sad.
    That does sound sad and messed up! True radio does not play as prominent a role in our everyday entertainment or source of "news on the go". It still acted as an outlet to united a community, local listening community. This all is a darn shame. Hang in there sunshineonacloudyday and thanks for shairing that info.

Marv

http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=10112

Thanks Marv. Above is an in-depth article on the subject, which likely typifies what's going on in urban markets across the U.S.