[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Name some of your favorite STAX songs

I don't know about all of you, but I get tired of Motown. So, how about a little Stax discussion? I thought it would be be fun to talk about some stuff made down in the south!

Here are just some of my favorites that include:

Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd
    Hold On - I'm Comin' - Sam & Dave
    I Got Everything I Need - Sam & Dave
    Laundromat Blues - Albert King
    Your Good Thing Is About To End - Mabel John
    Do The Push & Pull - Rufus Thomas
    Cheaper To Keep Her - Johnnie Taylor
    I'll Take You There - Staple Singers
    Soul Limbo - Booker T. & The M.G.'s
    Soul Finger - The Bar-Kays

The little less than 20 min vers of Isaac Hayes- Do Your Thing
    Bar-Kays in Wattstax- Son Of Shaft
    Otis Redding- I've Been Loving You Too Long
    Rance Allen Group- Ain't No Need Of Crying

This is just a few. Stax had so many great music. And unlike Motown, they allowed the musicians to shine

What about the fantastic reworking of "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" by Issac Hayes!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    This is just a few. Stax had so many great music. And unlike Motown, they allowed the musicians to shine
    I get tired of the slick and polished sound of Motown. I like raw energy of Stax music. One could easily expand this to a lot of the Atlantic artists like Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, and Sam & Dave, too!

"I'll Take You There" and "Come Go With Me" - The Staples Singers
    "Dedicated to the One I Love" - The Temprees
    "Soul Finger" - Bar-Kays
    "Green Onions" - Booker T & the MGs
    "Tramp" - Otis & Carla
    "Hold On, I'm Comin'", "Soul Man", and "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby" - Sam & Dave
    [[This could go on all night... Love me some Stax records!)

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I get tired of the slick and polished sound of Motown. I like raw energy of Stax music. One could easily expand this to a lot of the Atlantic artists like Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, and Sam & Dave, too!
    I loved Motown but I really dug the energy from Memphis and Muscle Shoals for the reasons you state. I can imagine Motown starting the party off but Memphis records being played after midnight when everybody is relaxed, juiced, and ready to jump off and have a good time.

When I was a little kid, my older sister, who used to babysit me, took me along to house parties. It wasn't very often that I heard any Motown at those parties after about 1965, but I heard a LOT of everything else soul, especially Wilson Pickett and Sam & Dave! It also seemed that when people got older, they moved away from Motown music. I started hearing a lot of Young-Holt Unlimited, James Brown, The Dells, Gene Chandler, jackie Wilson, Ramsey Lewis, Sly & The Family Stone, and, if the had to be some Motown, it was The Temptations!

I know i'm getting away from the thread topic, but my sister was heavily into Motown until 1966. It all started to change at that time. She also started getting into the female singers like Aretha Franklin and Dionne Warwick. That didn't last very long before the Philadelphia sound and funk music made it's way to our house. I played my Jackson 5 albums, Stevie Wonder 45s, and there was the occasional Temptations single, but there was almost no Motown played until Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" came out. But, Stax music was always the one constant.

there was just so much music going on in the 60s. I know this forum is in honor of all things Detroit soul, but I just can't live in that kind of vacuum.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-25-2012 at 12:04 AM.

I love Motown. But in my opinion, early '70s R&B is the music I love until this day more than anything. The O'Jays, Spinners, Dells, Tavares, Friends of Distinction, etc. laid out music that will never ever be matched. But before that, Stax was the perfect contrast to Motown, in my opinion. Stax was the raw alley cat that validated the slick kitty that Motown represented, just like the Rolling Stones were the anti-Beatles.

With that being said, I found new appreciation for Motown after reading the personal stories of the artists on the label. After hearing about the arguments, drugs, ego trips, and all other human validations, I listen to the songs and they are much more edgy than they were before. You can hear all of that conflict come together and display itself just beneath the voices. And that, for me, is soul music: singing the pain away. Long live '60s soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Stax was the raw alley cat that validated the slick kitty that Motown represented, just like the Rolling Stones were the anti-Beatles.
    Well, there is a lot to be said for slick kitties.

The Breakdown - Rufus Thomas
    Hearsay - Soul Children
    Who's Making Love and Jody's Got your Girl & Gone - Johnny Taylor

Dug the Stax sound almost as much as the Motown Sound. However in Canada at the time, it was Motown artists that got more airplay. Issac Hayes' "Shaft" record made a huge difference in the profile of Stax related recording artists in Canada getting more attention. For me, Jean Knight's "Mister Big Stuff" is a personal fav. A very cool CD to track down is Stax salutes Motown. Don't really want to pick one label over another because it's ALL good!
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 04-25-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Fredrick Knight- I've Been Lonely For Too Long

The very underrated 24-CARAT BLACK
    Last edited by P-Shark: The Revenge; 04-25-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Well, there is a lot to be said for slick kitties.
    That's the truth. And I wasn't criticizing Motown to say it, either. Much love to all the music of my youth.

That's the truth. And I wasn't criticizing Motown to say it, either. Much love to all the music of my youth.
    Uh...I don't think you "got it"...it was a double-entendre.

Uh...I don't think you "got it"...it was a double-entendre.
    Ahhh... That's just wrong, Bruh!

Ahhh... That's just wrong, Bruh!
    We're all adults here! I would hope we can accept a bit of naughty humor now and then.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Bar-B-Q"-Wendy Rene
    "Sweet Sherry"-J.J. Barnes
    "Snowflakes"-J.J. Barnes
    "I'm The One Who Loves You"-Darrell Banks
    "You're My Only Temptation-Roz Ryan
    "Candy"-Astors
    "In The Twilight Zone"-Astors
    "Laundromat Blues"-Albert King
    "Pick Up The Pieces"-Carla Thomas
    "Your Good Thing Is About To End"-Mable John
    "Across The Street"-Del Rios
    "Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody"-Sam & Dave
    "Eloise"-William Bell
    "I Forgot To Be Your Lover"-William Bell
    "I Love Lucy"-Albert King
    "Hold On, I'm Comin' "-Sam & Dave
    "Green Onions"-Booker T & MGs
    "Big Bird"-Eddie Floyd
    "Knock on Wood"-Eddie Floyd
    "Soul Limbo"-Booker T. & MGs
    "Time Is Tight"-Booker T & MGs
    "Hang 'Em High"-Booker T & MGs
    "Last Night"-Mar-Keys
    "You Don't Know Like I Know"-Sam & Dave
    "Uh Oh, I'm Falling In Love Again"-Eddie Jefferson
    "Born Under A Bad Sign"-Albert King
    "I've Never Found A Girl"-Eddie Floyd
    "Happy"-William Bell
    "Hip-Hug-Her"-Booker T & MGs
    "A Place Nobody Can Find"-Sam & Dave

We're all adults here! I would hope we can accept a bit of naughty humor now and then.
    Humor - naughty and otherwise - makes it all better. I can't believe you got me with that [[I'll work on my metaphors in the future!).

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 502
    "Bar-B-Q"-Wendy Rene
    "Sweet Sherry"-J.J. Barnes
    "Snowflakes"-J.J. Barnes
    "I'm The One Who Loves You"-Darrell Banks
    "You're My Only Temptation-Roz Ryan
    "Candy"-Astors
    "In The Twilight Zone"-Astors
    "Laundromat Blues"-Albert King
    "Pick Up The Pieces"-Carla Thomas
    "Your Good Thing Is About To End"-Mable John
    "Across The Street"-Del Rios
    "Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody"-Sam & Dave
    "Eloise"-William Bell
    "I Forgot To Be Your Lover"-William Bell
    "I Love Lucy"-Albert King
    "Hold On, I'm Comin' "-Sam & Dave
    "Green Onions"-Booker T & MGs
    "Big Bird"-Eddie Floyd
    "Knock on Wood"-Eddie Floyd
    "Soul Limbo"-Booker T. & MGs
    "Time Is Tight"-Booker T & MGs
    "Hang 'Em High"-Booker T & MGs
    "Last Night"-Mar-Keys
    "You Don't Know Like I Know"-Sam & Dave
    "Uh Oh, I'm Falling In Love Again"-Eddie Jefferson
    "Born Under A Bad Sign"-Albert King
    "I've Never Found A Girl"-Eddie Floyd
    "Happy"-William Bell
    "Hip-Hug-Her"-Booker T & MGs
    "A Place Nobody Can Find"-Sam & Dave
    Robb, I'm thinking you're a BIG Stax fan!

Soulster, I'm with you on this one. I loved me some Motown as Philly was a Motown city but Stax had a huge place in my heart. My favorites were most of those mentioned but I loved the voices of the Soul Children and Sam Moore can still sing anything for me!

1. Hold On, I'm Comin' - Sam And Dave
    2. Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd
    3. Respect Yourself - The Staple Singers
    4. B-A-B-Y - Carla Thomas
    5. Woman To Woman - Shirley Brown
    6. I'll Be The Other Woman - The Soul Children
    7. Cheaper To Keep Her - Johnnie Taylor
    8. That's What Love Will Make You Do - Little Milton
    9. I Forgot To Be YOur Lover - William Bell
    10. Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight
    11. [[Do The) Push And Pull, Part I - Rufus Thomas
    12. Green Onions - Booker T & The MGs
    13. Starting All Over Again - Mel And Tim
    14. In The Rain - The Dramatics
    15. So I Can Love You - The Emotions
    16. [[Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding
    17. I'll Take You There - The Staple Singers
    18. Who's Making Love - Johnnie Taylor
    19. I've Been Lonely For So Long - Frederick Knight
    20. Theme From 'Shaft' - Isaac Hayes

I love all the Stax recordings by Otis Redding and Sam and Dave, most of the Stax recordings by Johnnie Taylor, and many of the Stax recordings by Albert King, Eddie Floyd, William Bell, Little Milton, the Staples Singers, and a host of others. That being said, I’d like to mention the blue-eyed soul records that Stax recorded in the late sixties. Although these records were not commercially successful at the time, they still sound good over 40 years later. Johnny Daye had two great singles “What’ll I Do For Satisfaction” [[later sampled by Janet Jackson) and “Stay Baby Stay.” Linda Lyndell also had a couple of good ones “Bring Your Love Back to Me” and “What A Man” [[later sampled by Salt-n-Peppa). In addition, Delaney and Bonnie had two singles and an album [[Home) released on the Stax label. The Home album was released on CD in 2006 with a half dozen extra tracks. I like Delaney and Bonnie's Stax stuff better than their later, more well known recordings with Eric Clapton, Leon Russell, etc.

The Soul Children - The Sweeter He Is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDAsb1rGwVM

John Gary Williams - I Believe The Whole Damn World is Going Crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QU4HzVtzOU

Staple Singers - Trippin' On Your Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am2PR3I7RCA

Private Number by Judy Clay and William Bell is one of my all time favourite songs irrespective of genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxeTPfJIjwM

Eamonn

"I Got A Sure Thing" - Ollie and the Nightingales [[one of my Stax favorites that I didn't see mentioned yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhzcaLTDmRc

"Ninety Nine and a Half [[Won't Do)" - Wilson Pickett [[Yes, I know it was released on Atlantic, but it was recorded at the Stax studio with their house musicians--it's got drummer Al Jackson, Jr., guitarist Steve Cropper and the Memphis Horns written all over it. Pickett's "In the Midnight Hour" and "634-5789" were also recorded at Stax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBkah...C56C434E3D8894

"When Something's Wrong With My Baby" - Sam & Dave [[my big sister wore that 45 out!)
    "So I Can Love You" - The Emotions [[loved that shoulder action they would do, and Mr. Hayes on that organ)
    "Soul Man" - Sam & Dave [[the guitar licks, whew!!)

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    "When Something's Wrong With My Baby" - Sam & Dave [[my big sister wore that 45 out!)
    "So I Can Love You" - The Emotions [[loved that shoulder action they would do, and Mr. Hayes on that organ)
    "Soul Man" - Sam & Dave [[the guitar licks, whew!!)

I never tire of most Motown. I'm loyal. But I also live and work in Memphis - at the Stax Academy and the Shelby County School System , so I know much about Stax. They don't even play Stax music much here. They [[Stax) were often good when they tried....but most of the time they just let the tapes roll and captured whatever they got. Laziness and unsophistication is often mistaken for rawness in the case of Stax. The musicians at American Studios were much more polished and at times, much better, in my opinion. Motown was revered at Stax, so much so, they eventually hired Detroit musicians and producers to make music. Later records by Carla Thomas, Little Sonny, Barbara Lewis, JJ Barnes, Roz Ryan, The Dramatics, Darrell Banks, Johnnie Taylor and Isaac Hayes were very much Detroit sounds...they were not even recorded here in Memphis or at Stax. Most people can't tell Stax Records from those cut in other cities. For example, Mr. Big Stuff is not a true Memphis/Stax recording.

I tend to like those Stax sounds that aren't played to death [[I cringe every time I hear I"ll Take You There).

Just the One I've Been Searching For- Johnnie Taylor
    Got To be the Man, So I Can Love You, I Like It - Emotions
    Can't See You When I Want To - David Porter
    Same Thing, Let Me Be Good To You, Something Good - Carla Thomas
    I'll Understand, Tighten Up My Thing - Soul Children
    On A Saturday Night - Eddie Floyd
    Mavis Staples [[LP) - Mavis Staples
    Long Walk To D.C. - Staple Singers
    Cheaper to Keep Her [[although it was not entirely recorded in Memphis) - Johnnie Taylor
    Don't Help Me Out - Sam & Dave
    Private Number - William Bell & Judy Clay
    It's Catching - Mable John
    Walking The Dog - Rufus Thomas
    Lover's Question - Otis Redding
    Woman To Woman [[LP) - Shirley Brown
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 04-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I never tire of most Motown. I'm loyal. But I also live and work in Memphis - at the Stax Academy and the Shelby County School System , so I know much about Stax. They don't even play Stax music much here. They [[Stax) were often good when they tried....but most of the time they just let the tapes roll and captured whatever they got. Laziness and unsophistication is often mistaken for rawness in the case of Stax.
    I don't know about that "lazy" charge, but, that unsophisticated sound is what people are after. Like I said, they were not polished. Polish can wear off.

Most people can't tell Stax Records from those cut in other cities. For example, Mr. Big Stuff is not a true Memphis/Stax recording.
    Correct. That was a Malaco recording, if i'm not mistaken.

I tend to like those Stax sounds that aren't played to death [[I cringe every time I hear I"ll Take You There).
    I never tire of that song. the song was perhaps polished, but that groove was in the pocket, as we used to say. It's great to hear in hi-rez too. It's available on HDTracks, BTW. Otis Redding's "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay" in hi-rez also debut on HD Tracks today as well!
    Last edited by soulster; 04-26-2012 at 08:59 PM.

I don't where it was cut, but as it hasn't been mentioned yet, I particularly liked Linda Lyndell's "Bring Your Love Back To Me", which came out on Stax's Volt subsidiary.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I don't where it was cut, but as it hasn't been mentioned yet, I particularly liked Linda Lyndell's "Bring Your Love Back To Me", which came out on Stax's Volt subsidiary.
    Actually, I did mention "Bring Your Love Back to Me" in my little tribute above to Stax blue-eyed soul. From what I understand Linda Lyndell was from Florida and was recommended to Stax producers Isaac Hayes and David Porter. I believe "Bring Your Love Back to Me" was recorded at the Stax studio in Memphis in 1967 and the follow-up "What A Man", which was more successful, was recorded there in 1968.
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 04-27-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    Actually, I did mention "Bring Your Love Back to Me" in my little tribute above to Stax blue-eyed soul. From what I understand Linda Lyndell was from Florida and was recommended to Stax producers Isaac Hayes and David Porter. I believe "Bring Your Love Back to Me" was recorded at the Stax studio in Memphis in 1967 and the follow-up "What A Man", which was more successful, was recorded there in 1968.
    I've found your post now. I know I have both of Linda Lyndell's singles, but despite it being the bigger hit, I don't remember how "What A Man" goes at all [[except for the sample).

I've found your post now. I know I have both of Linda Lyndell's singles, but despite it being the bigger hit, I don't remember how "What A Man" goes at all [[except for the sample).
    Here it is. After listening to this again, and looking at the picture of the Volt 45 in the video, which says produced by Dave Crawford, I don't believe this was recorded at the Stax studio. The use of electric piano would be unusual for Stax, and the fact that it was produced by Dave Crawford, makes me think it was recorded somewhere other than Memphis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nftV6owEmTI
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 04-27-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    Here it is. After listening to this again, and looking at the picture of the Volt 45 in the video, which says produced by Dave Crawford, I don't believe this was recorded at the Stax studio. The use of electric piano would be unusual for Stax, and the fact that it was produced by Dave Crawford, makes me think it was recorded somewhere other than Memphis.[/URL]
    Thanks for the link to "What A Man". The horns sound typically Stax, but may have been dubbed in afterwards. On the other hand, "Bring Your Love Back to Me" sounds pure Detroit. I must play Carla Thomas's "B-A-B-Y" and "Pick Up the Pieces" later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Motown was revered at Stax, so much so, they eventually hired Detroit musicians and producers to make music. Later records by Carla Thomas, Little Sonny, Barbara Lewis, JJ Barnes, Roz Ryan, The Dramatics, Darrell Banks, Johnnie Taylor and Isaac Hayes were very much Detroit sounds...they were not even recorded here in Memphis or at Stax. Most people can't tell Stax Records from those cut in other cities.
Views: 477
    My list should be divided in half: Memphis and Detroit. I like the Stax Sound, and Don Davis' Detroit Sound. But, BOTH fit the criteria of this thread, which is songs released on Stax/Volt/Enterprise and any other Stax label [[if there were any?).

Thanks for the link to "What A Man". The horns sound typically Stax, but may have been dubbed in afterwards. On the other hand, "Bring Your Love Back to Me" sounds pure Detroit. I must play Carla Thomas's "B-A-B-Y" and "Pick Up the Pieces" later.
    "Pick Up the Pieces" was produced by Don Davis [[Detroit), but "B-A-B-Y" was recorded in Memphis. I remember once reading that Carla Thomas was growing frustrated during the "B-A-B-Y" session because producer Isaac Hayes and the Stax musicians were trying to give the song a harder edge [[more like Sam & Dave) than she wanted. She credited organist Booker T. with saving the day by getting them to soften things up more to her liking.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 477
    My list should be divided in half: Memphis and Detroit. I like the Stax Sound, and Don Davis' Detroit Sound. But, BOTH fit the criteria of this thread, which is songs released on Stax/Volt/Enterprise and any other Stax label [[if there were any?).
    Robb_K .. in the 1970s Stax also had the Truth label [[RANCE ALLEN, SHIRLEY BROWN, THE NEWCOMERS) and the We-Produce label [[THE TEMPREES). Stax also distributed the Ko-Ko label [[LUTHER INGRAM).

Roger

Stax also distributed the Ardent Records label from 1972 to 1975 in an attempt to break into the area of rock music. This venture was unsuccessful. The now revered rock group, Big Star, which included Alex Chilton, formerly of the Box Tops, had two critically aclaimed albums that went nowhere during this period due to ineffective marketing and distribution on the part of Stax.

Stax also had a pop subsidiary called "Hip". The most notable release was the Goodees' "Condition Red", which was a Shangri-las soundalike.

I love putting together label compilations of my favorite tunes on CD-R. Here's some of my personal Stax favs:

Astors - Candy
    Bar-Kays - Memphis Sunrise
    Barbara Lewis - I Can't Break Away; Do I Deserve It Baby
    Black Nasty - I Must Be In Love; I Have No Choice
    Booker T. - Melting Pot
    Carla Thomas - Pick Up The Pieces; Precious Memories; Love Among People
    Charmels - As Long As I've Got You
    Darrell Banks - Forgive Me
    Dramatics - Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get; In The Rain; Your Love Was Strange
    Eddie Floyd - Don't Tell Your Mama; Don't You Know It's Alright
    Emotions - Heart Association; I Could Never Be Happy; Stealing Love
    Epsilons - The Echo
    Ernie Hines - Electified Love; Your Love Is All I Need
    Friday Saturday Sunday - There Must Me Something [released on the "Hip" subsidiary]
    Hot Sauce - Echoes From The Past; Bring It Home [[And Give It To Me)
    Howard Lemon Singers - Let Him Come In
    Ilana - Where Would You Be Today
    Inez Foxx - Let Me Down Easy
    Isaac Hayes - Joy; Pursuit Of The Pimpmobile
    J.J. Barnes - Got To Get Rid Of You
    Jimmy Hughes - I Like Everything You Do
    Jo Armstead - Got My Taste Of Honey; Send It Up
    John Gary Williams - The World Damn World Is Going Crazy; Lovin' You Ain't Easy
    Johnnie Taylor - I Believe In You [[You Believe In Me)
    Kim Weston - What Could Be Better
    Little Milton - Let Me Back In
    Louise McCord - You Better Get A Move On
    Mable John - You're Taking Up Another Man's Place
    Mad Lads - Don't Have To Shop Around; Whatever Hurts You [[Hurts Me)
    Major Lance - I Wanna Make Up [[Before We Break Up)
    Margie Joseph - Please Don't Stop Lovin' Me; Takin' All The Love That I Can
    Marion Gaines - Do You Thing
    Mavis Staples - I Have Learned To Do Without You
    Mel & Tim - I May Not Be What You Want; It's Those Little Things That Count
    Newcomers - Keep An Eye On Your Close Friends; The Whole World's A Picture Show
    Paul Thompson - Special Kinda Woman
    Rance Allen Group - I Know A Man Who
    Reggie Milner - Soul Machine
    Roz Ryan - You're My Only Temptation
    Ruby Johnson - Leftover Love; If I Ever Needed Love [[I Sure Do Need It Now)
    Rufus Thomas - Funky Chicken; The Breakdown
    Sam & Dave - Soul Man; I Thank You; Hold On' I'm Comin'
    Sandra Wright - Midnight Affair
    Shirley Brown - Woman To Woman
    Soul Children - The Sweeter He Is
    Staple Singers - I'll Take You There; Trippin' On Your Love
    Temprees - Dedicated To The One I Love; I Love, I Love; You Make Me Feel So Good
    United Image - Love's Creepin' Up On Me
    William Bell - I Forgot To Be Your Lover; You Got The Kind Of Love I Need
    Dynamic Soul Machine - Boomerang [[released on the "Respect" subsidiary)

Stax had a bunch of killer B-sides during the Atlantic era. My favorites include:

Otis Redding: "That's How Strong My Love Is"; "Don't Mess With Cupid"; "Good To Me"; "Let Me Come On Home"; "Hard to Handle"; "Open The Door" and "Direct Me."

Sam and Dave: "Small Portion of Your Love"; "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down"; "May I Baby"; "Wrap It Up" and "This Is Your World."

Eddie Floyd: "Got To Make A Comeback" and "I've Just Been Feeling Bad."

Johnnie Taylor: "Toe Hold."

Albert King: "Overall Junction"; "You're Gonna Need Me" and "Personal Manager" [[OK, since Albert's slash and burn guitar solo was edited out on the 45 version of "Personal Manager", I have to go with the four and a half minute album version on this one).

johnnie taylor .........whos making love,take care of you homework girl,jody's got your girl and gone
    dramatics................watcha see,in the rain,hot pants in the summer time,devil is dope,hey you get off my mountain
    staples singers..........oh la di da,this world
    sam and dave...........soul sister brown sugar
    william bell and mavis staples....loves sweet sensation,never let you go
    rufus thomas................turn your damper down [[funky chicken "b" side),funky penguin
    booker t and the mg's....melting pot,both onions!green and mo',
    albert king..................crosscut saw
    jean knight...................mr big stuff
    shirley brown................woman to woman
    ivory joe hunter............this kind of woman
    william bell...................tribute to a king
    soul children.................the sweater he is
    isaac hayes..................shaft theme,do your thing,never can say goodbye [[live)look of love [[live)

i give up,there are loads more!

Can Kim Weston's Volt and Mikim recordings be mentioned here?

144man
    yeah the volt stuff is included in the [[complete)stax singles cd box sets.not sure about makim [['cos i never heard of it!!!)

tamla617,
    In that case, I really like "You Just Don't Know", the first track on Kim Weston's Volt album, "Kim Kim Kim".

The Mikim track by Kim that I like is "Little by Little and Bit by Bit". Is that in the Stax box-set?

The name Mikim comes from Mickey Stevenson and Kim Weston, and the singles through Volt have their own numbering system. Strangely enough, Kim's "If I Had It My Way" [[MIA 1502) is a standard Volt release on the normal blue label. "Little By Little and Bit By Bit" [[MIA 1503) is actually on the Mikim label, a yellow label which states "Distributed by Volt Records".

144Man ..

"Little By Little" by KIM WESTON was included in a 1993 Kent [[UK) compilation C.D. that I own called "Do the Crossover Baby", it is a collection of late-'60's/early-70's tunes compiled by RICHARD SEARLING. So I tend to think of it as a "Stax" record.

Here is the C.D.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Do-Crossover.../dp/B0000013B7

And here is the song on You-Tube ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqz4YXloHbY

Roger

tamla617,
    In that case, I really like "You Just Don't Know", the first track on Kim Weston's Volt album, "Kim Kim Kim".

The Mikim track by Kim that I like is "Little by Little and Bit by Bit". Is that in the Stax box-set?

The name Mikim comes from Mickey Stevenson and Kim Weston, and the singles through Volt have their own numbering system. Strangely enough, Kim's "If I Had It My Way" [[MIA 1502) is a standard Volt release on the normal blue label. "Little By Little and Bit By Bit" [[MIA 1503) is actually on the Mikim label, a yellow label which states "Distributed by Volt Records".
    the only kim weston track on the stax story box sets is "goodness,gracious".no idea what the b side was.the ones you mentioned and the "distributed by volt records" must have been omitted due to these 7" not being stax/volt property.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    the only kim weston track on the stax story box sets is "goodness,gracious".no idea what the b side was.the ones you mentioned and the "distributed by volt records" must have been omitted due to these 7" not being stax/volt property.
    According to the KIM WESTON discography on soulfulkindamusic "Little By Little, Bit by Bit" actually got a Volt release in 1971 ..

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/kweston.htm

And .. according to the discography "Goodness Gracious" b/w "Beautiful People" was released on Enterprise in 1974.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    According to the KIM WESTON discography on soulfulkindamusic "Little By Little, Bit by Bit" actually got a Volt release in 1971 ..

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/kweston.htm

And .. according to the discography "Goodness Gracious" b/w "Beautiful People" was released on Enterprise in 1974.

Roger
    it may have had volt on the label but its not on the complete stax/volt collection it might have been the distributed by stax/volt.goodness,gracious is the only one

thanks for the b side info roger!

When you move you lose-rufus and carla!

From the time that I first saw that light green label on the 45 "Green Onions" when I was about 3, Stax has alway been one of my favorite labels. I believe that the primary difference between Stax & the glossier more "uptown" sounds of Motown & Atlantic, is that Stax was like James Brown in that they brought that spectacular down-home music & made everyone accept it on its OWN TERMS. Booker T & Steve Cropper said that they were absolutely amazed when they went overseas & discovered that not only the singers were stars, but that the musicians were also. I forget which one said it, but one of the musicians also said that was when some internal strife began because suddenly people began focusing on their "titles".

I knew that Stax made some great music, but I had no idea that they were as prolific as they were because while I had bought all of the LP re-issues, I had no idea of how much Stax music I'd never heard until that 1st box set came out. I absolutely hated CDs back then & refused to buy them, but when that box set came out, I had to have it & I bought the next 2 sets as well & never regretted it for a moment.

Now I could've done without Nick Charles & stuff like ''Sunday Jealous'' & ''The Three Dogwoods'' [[I know that he was a DJ who might've been able to hook them up with airplay, but damn!!!) or Macy Skipper's "Goofin' Off'' & to this day "You Make Me Feel So Good" by The Chips immediately makes me think of Elroy The mechanic with Pam & Gina singing the great "Don't You Know No Good".

The Chips
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5NdhpqtDrY

Elroy, Pam & Gina
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KgmJncel1U

and the remix...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQOOm...eature=related

But maybe it's just me!

Anyway, this label came out with so much great music that I'd never heard back then & many of them were a revelation. Mable John's "I'm A Big Girl Now", Johnny Daye's "Stay, Baby Stay" were but a few of my "NEW" discoveries & I don't know how more than a few of those songs never made it here to N.Y.

Thank God for re-issues & the fact that it's never too late to discover great music, no matter what it's age.