[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross 1976l Releases Next Tuesday Commercially

Is this old news?? Was it released on Hippo and I missed it? This is coming out commercially next Tuesday

Diana Ross, originally issued in 1976, was Diana Ross's first full-length solo studio album in more than two years.

It arrived on the heels of Mahogany, Diana's record-breaking second feature film that included her No. 1 hit, "Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)," and surprised audiences around the world with a whole new Diana Ross. The album included familiar sounds, from "Theme From Mahogany" to the ballad "I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)," but took an unexpected twist with Diana's first-ever disco song, "Love Hangover," which became another No. 1 smash, and Diana's most-sampled song.

Diana Ross: Expanded Edition is a 2-CD set that features the newly re-mastered original album, single-only mixes, non-LP singles, the super-rare promotional single "Coming Home," and new alternate mixes of nearly the entire album. There's even more: three never-before-heard performances from the sessions - "Harmony," a cover of the Elton John classic; and "Go Where Your Mind Is" and "Le Lo Li," produced by Jeffrey Bowen with help Sly Stone. Rounding out the collection is an excerpt from a Diana Ross interview that hasn't been heard in 36 years.

The gorgeous package - a digi-pak like previous Diana Ross Expanded Editions - contains a deluxe 24 page booklet with detailed song annotations and the story of the album by compilation producers Andrew Skurow and George Solomon, and features spectacular photos from the renowned cover photo shoot.

Track listing:

Disc: 1
    1. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)
    2. I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)
    3. Love Hangover
    4. Kiss Me Now
    5. You're Good My Child
    6. One Love In My Lifetime
    7. Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe
    8. After You
    9. Smile
    10. Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right [[Single Version)
    11. Together [[Single Version)
    12. I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [[Single Version)
    13. Love Hangover [[Single Version)
    14. One Love In My Lifetime [[Single Version)
    15. To Love Again [[Alternate Version)
    16. We're Always Saying Goodbye [[Alternate Version)
    17. This Christmas [[Alternate Version)
    18. Coming Home

Disc: 2
    1. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [[Alternate Version #1)
    2. I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [[Alternate Version)
    3. Love Hangover [[Alternate Version)
    4. Kiss Me Now [[Alternate Version)
    5. You're Good My Child [[Alternate Version)
    6. One Love In My Lifetime [[Alternate Version)
    7. Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe [[Alternate Version)
    8. After You [[Alternate Version)
    9. Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right [[Alternate Version)
    10. Together [[Alternate Version)
    11. Theme From Mahogany [[Alternate Version #2)
    12. Harmony
    13. Le Lo Li
    14. Go Where Your Mind Is
    15. Diana Ross Interview [[excerpted

RossHolloway Guest
    I received my copy last week, and I think some others a week before that, so yea, its being talked about. I think there is a long thread about this release. I've only listened to disc 1 so far because I'm stuck on the track To Love Again. I've always loved this song by her, and this version just makes me fall in love with her all over again.

HomeNewsReviewInterviewCompetitionContactUnsignedA dvertisements

NewsDiana Ross new album preview
    added: 16 Feb 2012 // by: newsdesk

Email this story
    Printable version Diana Ross, originally issued in 1976, was Diana Ross's first full-length solo studio album in more than two years.

It arrived on the heels of Mahogany, Diana's record-breaking second feature film that included her No. 1 hit, "Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)," and surprised audiences around the world with a whole new Diana Ross. The album included familiar sounds, from "Theme From Mahogany" to the ballad "I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)," but took an unexpected twist with Diana's first-ever disco song, "Love Hangover," which became another No. 1 smash, and Diana's most-sampled song.

Diana Ross: Expanded Edition is a 2-CD set that features the newly re-mastered original album, single-only mixes, non-LP singles, the super-rare promotional single "Coming Home," and new alternate mixes of nearly the entire album. There's even more: three never-before-heard performances from the sessions - "Harmony," a cover of the Elton John classic; and "Go Where Your Mind Is" and "Le Lo Li," produced by Jeffrey Bowen with help Sly Stone. Rounding out the collection is an excerpt from a Diana Ross interview that hasn't been heard in 36 years.

The gorgeous package - a digi-pak like previous Diana Ross Expanded Editions - contains a deluxe 24 page booklet with detailed song annotations and the story of the album by compilation producers Andrew Skurow and George Solomon, and features spectacular photos from the renowned cover photo shoot.

Track listing:

Disc: 1
    1. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)
    2. I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)
    3. Love Hangover
    4. Kiss Me Now
    5. You're Good My Child
    6. One Love In My Lifetime
    7. Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe
    8. After You
    9. Smile
    10. Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right [[Single Version)
    11. Together [[Single Version)
    12. I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [[Single Version)
    13. Love Hangover [[Single Version)
    14. One Love In My Lifetime [[Single Version)
    15. To Love Again [[Alternate Version)
    16. We're Always Saying Goodbye [[Alternate Version)
    17. This Christmas [[Alternate Version)
    18. Coming Home

Disc: 2
    1. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [[Alternate Version #1)
    2. I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [[Alternate Version)
    3. Love Hangover [[Alternate Version)
    4. Kiss Me Now [[Alternate Version)
    5. You're Good My Child [[Alternate Version)
    6. One Love In My Lifetime [[Alternate Version)
    7. Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe [[Alternate Version)
    8. After You [[Alternate Version)
    9. Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right [[Alternate Version)
    10. Together [[Alternate Version)
    11. Theme From Mahogany [[Alternate Version #2)
    12. Harmony
    13. Le Lo Li
    14. Go Where Your Mind Is
    15. Diana Ross Interview [[excerpted)

got my copy about 2 weeks ago and i love it. first the new version of TO LOVE AGAIN where diana is speaking french at the beginning and the end.
    also i love disc 2 with all the alternate versions especially YOURE GOOD MY CHILD,NOTHING BUT A MAYBE both could have been singles in my book along with AFTER YOU and i think the disc two showcases this. Diana really gets soulful on a few of these tracks,maybe that is why is wasnt used? all in all ,this package is great and will remain in my cd payer for a long time. also. Harmony is my new unreleased fav and Le Lo LI is really nice as well. not to crazy about GO WHERE YOUR MIND IS? i like to see what others think of this song.

I thought a lot of fans wouldn't like "Go Where Your Mind Is" because it's so different for Diana Ross. I really enjoy it and think that it shows just how versatile she really is. All of those vocals are hers. I can see why maybe they didn't include it on the original LP but I'm really happy that we have it now. And yes...the alternate "To Love Again" and "You're Good My Child"...pretty great, huh? In fact all of disc two with all the alternate vocals is very special. I'm really happy that fans are enjoying this. I can't wait until more receive theirs.

OK, a little behind here............but I'll order tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement.

And what about the alternate version of "Love Hangover"?

Quote Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
    And what about the alternate version of "Love Hangover"?
    It's gorgeous of course! Like all the other new mixes, it is designed to show off Diana's talent at multiple interpretations of the same lyric. I recognize some of the vocal parts in this mix were used on the Frankie Knuckles remixes from "Diana Extended". But another key difference is that the uptempo portion of the song is more laid back, meaning they have mixed the congas higher in the mix than the "disco" percussion [[hi-hat? snare? somebody help me!) It's kind of like a Marvin Gaye mix! [[Off-topic but I've been grooving to "In Our Lifetime" this week as well...)

I LOVE "Go Where Your Mind Is". Miss Ross basically vocalizes what sounds like an entire chorus of Lilliputians! I think I described it in the other thread as P-funk meets Sesame Street.

This is a must-have release due to the clear, pristine quality of the remastering, especially the alternate vocals.
    "This Christmas" is a different mix that includes horns and flutes.

And a big thing I've noticed on many of the ballads is that it seems like Motown may have been experimenting with mixing them more C&W as opposed to AC or R&B? There are some very country elements that subtly show up in some of the new mixes, like "I Thought It..." and "After You".

Also makes sense that "To Love Again" was originally for 'Mahogany' as it not only has those gorgeous mandolins, giving it an Italian classical feel, but with Diana's speaking in French, it even more conjures up the feeling of Tracy Chambers going to Europe!

The new mix of "One Love" will blow you away. Amazing additional chorus lyric and backing vocal segment, as well as more focus on the rhythm guitar - the fadeout alone will delight you!

really LOVE this cd! especially disc 2

One Love In My Lifetime on disc2 is jammin

mine is on the way from Amazon, where it is currently #156 and rising..not too shabby..Brava, Diva!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    mine is on the way from Amazon, where it is currently #156 and rising..not too shabby..Brava, Diva!!
    #146 and #22 in General AAS [[what does AAS mean by the way?).

don't know, but I just got my copy...YES!!!!!

supremester Guest

You're Good My George

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I thought a lot of fans wouldn't like "Go Where Your Mind Is" because it's so different for Diana Ross. I really enjoy it and think that it shows just how versatile she really is. All of those vocals are hers. I can see why maybe they didn't include it on the original LP but I'm really happy that we have it now. And yes...the alternate "To Love Again" and "You're Good My Child"...pretty great, huh? In fact all of disc two with all the alternate vocals is very special. I'm really happy that fans are enjoying this. I can't wait until more receive theirs.
    George, This is my favorite Diana Ross album and you guys did such a great job, I'm, speechless. I kept texting Andy during the show because for a lot of reasons, the album is a sentimental one for me as well. So I was winsome and thrilled and so happy to hear your stories. I agree with you about "Go Where Your Mind Is" but I always knew that she can, literally, sing anything in any style. You boys made a classy, respectful, knowledgeable, essential set that brilliantly showcases the superb talent Miss Ross is in the studio. I'm knocked out, and just want to thank you. I loved all of the reissues, but nothing, tops this. Keep up the good work!

now #135 on Amazon...imagine if it breaks the Top 100..out of the zillions of CDs on their chart...good sign for Hip O Select I would think..

More proof that our lady still sells! Diana and the Supremes are very lucky to have Andy and George working on their catalog and handling it with lots of love and care. I can't imagine anyone better who could put out such incredible collections.

atcsm Guest
    Mine should arrive Friday or Saturday - can't wait. After last night's Midnight Johnny's show the first cut I will listen to is To Love Again with that French intro. The Lady reigns - you know who will say that only a handful of her fans are buying this in bulk to boost sales.......

I was very impressed by the Jeffrey Bowen/Sly Stone cut they played last night. Was it Le Li Lo or ??? Mine just got ordered last night; I wonder why!

Such nice comments. Thank you. xo

The sound is nice.

My hat is off to George and Andy and many many thanks. This feels like I am enjoying the black album all over again. I believe I said this once when "Touch Me In My Morning" deluxe was released that one could tell that there was love added to the CD. It is kind of hard to explain but it was the kind of love that Motown once showed when they released an album on an artist. This black album feels good with a nice glass of wine and the lights down real low.

captainjames,i agree 100%

Hey Rob
    yes Le Lo Li is the Sly Stone on the Black Deluxe CD

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I was very impressed by the Jeffrey Bowen/Sly Stone cut they played last night. Was it Le Li Lo or ??? Mine just got ordered last night; I wonder why!

Just picked this up at J&R Music World in NYC last night and boy do I have a complaint! Andy, George, and everyone connected with this cd, why is the page devoted to your achievements in such small print??? I almost cannot read your contributions the type is so small. You should have your names in 18 point type for this release - what a joy it is! The sound is wonderful, the bonus tracks are exciting, and, as captjames says, you can hear the love that went into the entire project. Thank you for the care you show the recordings and the legacy of Motown on the deluxe releases. They may take a while to hit the street but they are so worth the wait. Thank you.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Just picked this up at J&R Music World in NYC last night and boy do I have a complaint! Andy, George, and everyone connected with this cd, why is the page devoted to your achievements in such small print??? I almost cannot read your contributions the type is so small. You should have your names in 18 point type for this release - what a joy it is! The sound is wonderful, the bonus tracks are exciting, and, as captjames says, you can hear the love that went into the entire project. Thank you for the care you show the recordings and the legacy of Motown on the deluxe releases. They may take a while to hit the street but they are so worth the wait. Thank you.
    Well said Thommg. With all the deluxe release, as well as all the other releases like the complete album sets by the Marvelettes and the 70's Supreme's you can really see, feel and hear the thought, care, time, respect and love that has gone into these releases that pays respect to both the artists and to the fans that live for these projects. I always look forward to both supporting these releases as well as what else they will pull out of their hat for us fans.

love it. anyone else have any thoughts?

REVIEW: DIANA ROSS, DIANA ROSS

Diana Ross's latest album is 5/5
    Friday March 2,2012
    By Simon Gage Have your say[[0)
    IT is probably a matter for the police that this, one of her finest albums, has never been available on CD before.

With tracks such as Do You Know Where You’re Going To and gorgeous, sexy disco classic Love Hangover it was already a bit of a humdinger.

Now in this remastered double CD, set with new versions of fine material, superb notes and pictures beautiful enough to make you want a makeover, it’s all but indispensable.

[[IMS)

with all the reissues, the only surprise for me was the out takes from LAST TIME I SAW HIM ,many i liked better than what actually were used such as LET ME BE THE ONE,DONT CARE WHERE THE MONEY IS etc.
    that being said,the other gem is of course BLUE which is gorgeous start to finish,but my complaint is songs such as CRAZY HE CALLS ME were not included????? so that leaves me to think there will be a volume 2??????hopefully.
    but DR76 is now my all time favorite.love disc 2

atcsm Guest
    I had time this weekend to really listen to this compilation - great job Andy, George, Harry & John for the program for it. Absolutley love Harmony - she is at her best when she overdubs herself [[ala Touch Me), the french intro for To Love Again makes me melt & I've always loved You're Good My Child [[especially the line "day by day you're better"). The inteview was a plus - thanks guys - looking forward to "At the Copa" and "Baby It's Me".

My copy arrived today and from a quick skim listen [[several listens to the new mix of Love Hangover) I want to thank everyone involved for their outstanding efforts. The new mix of Love Hangover is sensational - I wonder if it has hit potential if released in all current digital formats?

Interesting to read about the Stevie Wonder sessions - why on earth haven't they been released?

This set is a must have for the music, booklet and packaging - Diana Ross must be very pleased with the product!

honest man Guest
    That Album c over was screaming to be titled KISS ME NOW,beautiful cover ,love the album by the way. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I didn't think I'd enjoy this one, but I was pretty surprised at some of the alternate tracks and the collaborations with Jeffrey Bowen and Sly Stone.

The "Love Hangover" 8:22 version with the full vocals is the highlight of this set. I never understood why Motown removed so many lines [[including "I've got a love hangover") on the final mix. The instrumental background of the alternate version is not as polished, not as "disco", but the cold end is a great way to end the song.

Diana's vocals on the alternative Love Hangover sound like they have been processed in some way. It reminds me of a mix I have of Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right on another CD [[not sure which one at the moment).

If anyone on here knows what might have been done in the "process" I'd be interested.

Also if anyone has a video of Diana recording this song please post a link to it - she really sounds like it was great fun! Only joking!

Eamonn

Trackisting and timings
    ---
    1. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) 3:24
    2. I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) 3:25
    3. Love Hangover 7:49
    4. Kiss Me Now 2:45
    5. You're Good My Child 3:36
    6. One Love In My Lifetime 3:40
    7. Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe 3:27
    8. After You 4:11
    9. Smile 3:00
    10. Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right [[Single Version ) 3:33
    11. Together [[Single Version) 3:18
    12. I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [[Single Version Motown A-side M-1387 F, 1976) 3:21
    13. Love Hangover [[Single Version Motown A-side*M-1392 F, 1976) 3:49
    14. One Love In My Lifetime [[Single Version Motown A-side*M-1398 F, 1976) 4:04
    15. To Love Again [[Alternate Version) 4:34
    16. We're Always Saying Goodbye [[Alternate Version) 2:36
    17. This Christmas [[Alternate Version) 4:10
    18. Coming Home [[from Japanese Coca-Cola promotional flexidisc 5F-5122, 1975) 1:44
    -----

1. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [[Alternate Version #1) 3:26
    2. I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [[Alternate Version) 3:58
    3. Love Hangover [[Alternate Version) 8:17
    4. Kiss Me Now [[Alternate Version) 2:59
    5. You're Good My Child [[Alternate Version) 4:37
    6. One Love In My Lifetime [[Alternate Version) 4:41
    7. Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe [[Alternate Version) 4:01
    8. After You [[Alternate Version) 5:01
    9. Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right [[Alternate Version) 3:36
    10. Together [[Alternate Version) 4:20
    11. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [[Alternate Version #2) 4:06
    12. Harmony 3:45
    13. Le Lo Li 3:26
    14. Go Where Your Mind Is 3:24
    15. Diana Ross Interview 15:50
    Last edited by Constantin; 03-08-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Just received this; another amazingly good project.

The new material is some of the best unreleased Ross material I've heard. I can see it was a much different direction than Berry & Motown took Diana in but this unreleased material could have been successful. When you are at the top of the heap, you are in such demand; when you are no longer at the top of the heap, nothing works ~ as in the Supremes in 1973, 1975, 1977 and as in Ross in 1989 and later in the USA.

Great job by Andy and George ~ they truly love Diana, the Supremes and Motown.

I never commented on this release at the time. This has always been one of my favorite Diana Ross albums, so I was amazed at how good the alternate versions are. Superb.

I don't thing the Jeffrey Bowen tracks really suit Diana's voice, but I will persevere with them in the hope that they'll grow on me.