[REMOVE ADS]

The memphis boys

ACE has done it again with the first ever tribute compilation dedicated to Chips Moman's American studio, which was another busy recording studio here in Memphis during the Sixties and early 1979s. Like Detroit, Memphis was an active and influentual music city back in the day and American Studios was where a lot of hit Pop and R&B records were put together. Unlike Stax and Hi, American's musicians, producers and arrangers specialized in a lot of different musical sounds. James Carr's You've Got My Mind Messed Up, Arthur Conley's Funky Street, King Curtis' Memphis Soul Stew, The Box Tops The Letter were all recorded there, as was Dusty Springfield's In Memphis album and Merilee Rush's Angel of the Morning. All of these tracks, plus others like I'm In Love, Shake A Tailfeather and More Than I Can Stand are featured on the ACE disc, which is a tie-in with a book by Roben James. It's amazing the number of classics that were left off of the disc. ACE has been very active lately issuing excellent and highly recommended discs on Southern soul.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 04-09-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Memphis Boys – The Story of American Studios looks like another quality Ace release. I decided not to get it because there are literally only a handful of tracks on the CD that I don’t already have. Like you said, Kamasu_Jr, there are an amazing number of classics that were not included [[“Sweet Inspiration” is the first one that comes to my mind). Ace could have done a box set with American Studios like they did with The Fame Studios Story 1961-73; they have, however, indicated that they may issue a second volume of goodies from American Studios.

I am getting another southern soul release that’s coming out this month from Ace titled Nobody Wins: Stax Southern Soul 1968-1975. It’s all post Atlantic stuff and it ranges from relatively rare to previously unreleased. To me, Johnny Daye’s “Stay Baby Stay” alone make this CD worthwhile.

On the subject of Stax, another UK label, Edsel Records, is releasing a couple of Sam & Dave twofers this month [[Hold On & Double Dynamite…Plus and Soul Men & I Thank You…Plus). In addition to the four albums on these releases, there are a bunch of non-LP singles included. Both of these reissues feature extensive liner notes from Tony Rounce [[whose name should be familiar to those that have purchased Ace CDs previously) and are in stereo. Nearly every studio track that Sam & Dave recorded at Stax under the guidance of Isaac Hayes and David Porter is included on these two releases [[by my count, there are three tracks missing).
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 04-10-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Hi!

The book, Memphis Boys, at
    http://www.soulexpress.net/deep110.htm#memphisboys

Best regards
    Heikki