[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha back with Clive

Per Huffington post Queen Franklin is re-signigng with CLive Davis for her next record.

Good move.

Not sure what label she will be on.

I believe Aretha was upset that Clive wouldnt bankroll her XMAS album.

But that's nothing..............hardly a day goes by when Aretha isn't upset about something.

There was a recent Rolling Stone Magazine article called Is the CD Dead. It said it is getting harder and harder to convince any record company to release a hard copy of a CD. They want to keep the cost down and go digital only. And when you are 65 or 70 years old like the heritage artists, they are not going to see huge sales from teenagers and young people ~ those guys are staying with Lady Gaga, Adele, Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, Micheal Buble etc. They are lucky to get any kind of release at all.

There are much more people [[at least in the United States) that are over the age of 40 than there are teenagers and twenty-somethings, so if the music industry is only catering to that demographic then it should be dead! They are ignoring a huge segment of the population that are not into Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift or Gaga. They need to rethink their marketing efforts along the lines of what is going to reinvigorate a dying industry.

Older folks do much less downloading of digital music from the internet, but have substantial more income for things such as music than a kid has. Even teenagers have many more options of how and where to spend their money on enterntainment other than music these days.

Aretha may be 70, but she still has a huge market that love her music. Brooklyn's Coney Island was packed last summer for her show.

Jobeterob, you just posted under the Motown Forum that Lionel Richie's new CD debut at #2. Now Lionel is over 60 years old and most if not all of the material on his latest release are old songs that he recorded 25-30 years ago. It's more about hype and promotion than it is about the age of artist. In this past year we have seen Freda Payne, Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves, Lionel Richie, Aretha and others over the age of 60 with new releases on the market.

Aretha can and will still sell CD albums, be interesting to see what influence Clive has, I feel these days or for a few years he has looked a sad character always wanting to be in the limelight!

Very true Marv. I have read numerous articles anout the baby boomers especially beng the ones buying cds and there is a huge market. Bruce Springsteen is 60. Paul McCartney's latest cd went to number 5. The Temptations are on the charts now. The Supremes dvd went gold. etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Very true Marv. I have read numerous articles anout the baby boomers especially beng the ones buying cds and there is a huge market. Bruce Springsteen is 60. Paul McCartney's latest cd went to number 5. The Temptations are on the charts now. The Supremes dvd went gold. etc etc etc
    That's Luke. The record business had the right idea in the 60's and 70's to primarily cater to the "yoiuth market" because there were so many of them during that time. Today, they've grown up and are middle aged and senior and they now make up the bulk of today's market. The Rolling Stones and Springsteen are not selling out concerts attended by teenagers! It is a mistake to be age restrictive when it comes to artists over 40 because they represent the majority of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Aretha can and will still sell CD albums, be interesting to see what influence Clive has, I feel these days or for a few years he has looked a sad character always wanting to be in the limelight!
    I agree in regards to Clive Davis. I believe Aretha knows what she wants to do musically and just needs Clive & Co. for marketing and distribution purposes.

One thing is for certain. Aretha has angered and lost a million Whitney Houston fans. She cancels her appearance at the funeral at the very last minute. She then signs with Whitney's mentor. It all looks premeditated. It is really not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    One thing is for certain. Aretha has angered and lost a million Whitney Houston fans. She cancels her appearance at the funeral at the very last minute. She then signs with Whitney's mentor. It all looks premeditated. It is really not a good look.
    I hope all of this doesn't damage Aretha's relationship with Cissy Houston, or Saint Cissy as she's known in New York and New Jersey as.

Roberta

Hasnt Clive had good instincts, at least in the past, with divas? I think he also guided Jennifer Hudson. I think if Queen Aretha wants to to do disco or something he can re-direct her!

RossHolloway Guest
    Well here's to hoping that the two of them can catch lightning in a bottle again. I still believe that Aretha still has the talent to make an exceptional record. She just turned 70, so I don't see too many more records down the road for her. If this is her swan song, I really hope its great.

That is not true. That is not true at all. Aretha's cancellation was due to a physical problem she was having and unless you hear Cissy Houston or Dionne Warwick griping about it in the press then there is no situation. UNLIKE when Diana Ross failed to attend not one, but both of Michael Jackson's Memorial/Funeral services. She may have angered some of Michael Jackson's fans, but it has had no noticeable affect on her career. She is still without a record label and she is still out there touring.

Besides, Aretha was working with Clive Davis long before he ever signed Whitney Houston. Going ahead and having that Pre-Grammy Party hours after Whitney died in that same building, with her body still present.........was not a good look!

smark21 Guest
    Too bad on the taste level, Clive Davis isn’t on the same level as John Hammond or Jerry Wexler. Hopefully for this new album, Aretha will aim to release a good soul/gospel/r and B/jazz type album rather than aim for a radio hit.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Too bad on the taste level, Clive Davis isn’t on the same level as John Hammond or Jerry Wexler. Hopefully for this new album, Aretha will aim to release a good soul/gospel/r and B/jazz type album rather than aim for a radio hit.
    It would be really great if Aretha did a Gospel duet with Cissy Houston, or Saint Cissy as she's known in New York and New Jersey as.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is not true. That is not true at all. Aretha's cancellation was due to a physical problem she was having and unless you hear Cissy Houston or Dionne Warwick griping about it in the press then there is no situation. UNLIKE when Diana Ross failed to attend not one, but both of Michael Jackson's Memorial/Funeral services. She may have angered some of Michael Jackson's fans, but it has had no noticeable affect on her career. She is still without a record label and she is still out there touring.

Besides, Aretha was working with Clive Davis long before he ever signed Whitney Houston. Going ahead and having that Pre-Grammy Party hours after Whitney died in that same building, with her body still present.........was not a good look!
    It is indeed true that many were & are still angered by Aretha's sudden dismissal of the funeral. To make matters worse, her people had no problem advertising her concert performance before the funeral was even finished airing! Yikes. So she had physical problems to appear at the funeral but none to put on 1-2 hour concert that same night? Not only that but some of her interview comments were heavily suspicious when she insisted on highlighting more of Whitney's vocal faults on her last tour than necessary. Unlike Aretha, Diana did not run in front of the press all week talking about MJ's problems nor promising to be at any funeral & then pull a no-show on the day of. She certainly didn't advertise any concerts while his memorial was being aired. She opted to remain silent & 3 years later...she has stuck to her word.
    Last edited by BabyLuv64; 04-07-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Just reading the level of vitriol from Whitney's fans towards Aretha now is astonishing...

http://classicwhitney.yuku.com/topic...th-Clive-Davis
    http://classicwhitney.yuku.com/topic...LOVE-RE-ISSSUE

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLuv64 View Post
    It is indeed true that many were & are still angered by Aretha's sudden dismissal of the funeral. To make matters worse, her people had no problem advertising her concert performance before the funeral was even finished airing! Yikes. So she had physical problems to appear at the funeral but none to put on 1-2 hour concert that same night? Not only that but some of her interview comments were heavily suspicious when she insisted on highlighting more of Whitney's vocal faults on her last tour than necessary. Unlike Aretha, Diana did not run in front of the press all week talking about MJ's problems nor promising to be at any funeral & then pull a no-show on the day of. She certainly didn't advertise any concerts while his memorial was being aired. She opted to remain silent & 3 years later...she has stuck to her word.
    Prove it! Prove to me that millions of Whitney Houston fans no longer like Aretha Franklin and a no longer her fans. I don't think you can.

Cissy Houston loves Aretha Franklin. They have been close friends for nearly 50 years. She understood. On the other had it's been said that Katherine Jackson dislikes Diana Ross very much and may have preferred that she stayed away. However, some Michael Jackson fans may not know that. They just know she didn't show up. A group of them even put up a Facebook to display their hate for Diana Ross [[that's what they did, I am just reporting on it here.....). So let's just wait and see how this newfound contempt for Arethat by some [[as you put it) plays out. I already know the deal, but for the sake of argument, let's just see how it manifests itself in terms of Aretha's current career.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLuv64 View Post
    Just reading the level of vitriol from Whitney's fans towards Aretha now is astonishing...

http://classicwhitney.yuku.com/topic...th-Clive-Davis
    http://classicwhitney.yuku.com/topic...LOVE-RE-ISSSUE
    That's nice but I could provide links to blogs, Facebooks etc where folks are saying worst things about Diana Ross. I am more than assuming you are a Diana Ross fan by your screen name and by all the trouble you are going through to condemn Aretha Franklin as a third party when Houston's family has not done that. I haven't read what is posted in the links you provided, but those folks will just have to get over it and find something REAL to be angry about!

Dionne and Aretha just appeared on stage together for Clive's 80th birthday. There is absolutely no proof Cissy and those close to her are mad at Aretha. Aretha has buried her own brother and two sisters and father. Maybe it was also just too much for her!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That's nice but I could provide links to blogs, Facebooks etc where folks are saying worst things about Diana Ross. I am more than assuming you are a Diana Ross fan by your screen name and by all the trouble you are going through to condemn Aretha Franklin as a third party when Houston's family has not done that. I haven't read what is posted in the links you provided, but those folks will just have to get over it and find something REAL to be angry about!
    I'm not trying to condemn anyone, I'm just stating a fact that many people were upset with her lack of grace concerning the funeral. You said it was not true but I'm saying it is. Not to mention only Whitney Houston fans but Aretha's own fans as well. Just look at the comments on her own Facebook page where she sent out a statement & advertised her scheduled concert. They admonished her greatly for her actions.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Dionne and Aretha just appeared on stage together for Clive's 80th birthday. There is absolutely no proof Cissy and those close to her are mad at Aretha. Aretha has buried her own brother and two sisters and father. Maybe it was also just too much for her!
    Oh I'm sure a Christian woman like Cissy Houston, or Saint Cissy as she's known in New York and New Jersey as, wouldn't hold anything against Aretha.

Have a blessed and very Happy Easter.

Roberta

Those people on those sites talk like Marv does a lot of the time.

Foul words, lots of time to squawk and complain and be bitter about something or other ~ who knows what.

Just a waste of time................go snorkeling, go swimming, go listening to Diane songs or Motown, be happy, dont worry