[REMOVE ADS]

Favorite movie themes sung by soul artists

What are your guys favorites when it comes to movie themes? This is littler known, but DAMN what a great vocal:

I'm sorry... but the brilliance of Ronnie Dyson's voice is one of the most criminally underappreciated in music history.

"Across 110th Street" by Bobby Womack!

Are You Man Enough? - Four Tops [[Shaft In Africa)

"Theme from Valley of the Dolls" - Dionne Warwick!

Bobby W on 'Across 110th St' plus Curtis [[the gentle genius) on 'Superfly'.
    Not the theme of this movie; Al green's song in 'The Truth About Cats & Dogs'

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Little Miss Ruby"-Eddie Holland
    "Moon River"[[Breakfast At Tiffany's)_Jerry Butler
    "Here I Am"-Dionne Warwick [[what 1964 film was that-starring Peter Sellers?-Was it "What's New Pussycat"?

I dare anyone to tell me they've seen the film "Little Miss Ruby" from 1958.

If We Hold on Together from the Land Before Time

honest man Guest
    Love Ronnie Dyson i have a few compilations of him. never heard this song before, beautiful is this available on cd .please thank you

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Love Ronnie Dyson i have a few compilations of him. never heard this song before, beautiful is this available on cd .please thank you
    It is not on a disc, as far as I know.. The few CD compilations available on Ronnie Dyson do not contain that song. I didn't know it existed before this thread. Dyson did contribute a song to Spike Lee's film She's Gotta Have It. He also appears in the films Putney Swope and Hair.

I like the Theme From The Valley of the Dolls by Dionne Warwick that appears in the film. It's different from the released single.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-20-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Honest man... YES.... this song has been released on CD, and this is whre you'll find it. It's also available for signle download for 99 cents on Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/Many-Faces-Son...255555&sr=1-29

No wonder the song doesn't show up for Ronnie Dyson. It's from some CD featuring music written by someone else.

Sometimes when it comes to titles from movie soundtracks, one has to search for the song title as opposed to the artist.

Marv... I love Valley Of Dolls theme, too. I think everyone loves that song. I'm just so hacked off that her theme from the 1981 mini series didn't get released in ANY form, no vinyl, no nothin. And wow is it a beautiful song:

honest man Guest
    Thank you both for your help,love to find something new from SDF. will buy the cd so many beautiful songs,thanks again, cheers.

It's hard out here for a Pimp/ Three 6 Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Across 110th Street" by Bobby Womack!
    Total agreement, Marv.

Couldn't resist...........

Shaking my head that nobody listed "Let's Do It Again" by the Staples Singers from one of my very favorite movies.

Shaking my head that nobody listed "Let's Do It Again" by the Staples Singers from one of my very favorite movies.
    The Nights still young...............

Name:  knight.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  17.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Total agreement, Marv.
    That was jam wasn't it? It still sounds good to me today!

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Marv... I love Valley Of Dolls theme, too. I think everyone loves that song. I'm just so hacked off that her theme from the 1981 mini series didn't get released in ANY form, no vinyl, no nothin. And wow is it a beautiful song:

Jill I can remember when that song was brand new! I remember being sick home from school and my mother would turn the radio on to get me to sleep and that song was played often on local radio as much as Lulu's "To Sir With Love" the year before. Great memories.

Great choices Paladin and P-Shark! This is a good thread! One I really, really liked at the time [[although, it was not exactly the theme of the movie, it was the only somewhat original song on the soundtrack) was G.C. Cameron's "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" from the film "Cooley High.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    The Nights still young...............

Name:  knight.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  17.5 KB
    That , "Claudine" was the ULTIMATE in soundtrack albums featuring a primary R&B artist. Gladys & the Pips were simply masterful in that recording with Curtis Mayfield.

Although it was not the original soundtrack to the film, Aretha Franklin's "Sparkle", the entire album was superb! Curtis Mayfield wrote and produced songs that were perfect for the times, the '70's.

uptight Guest
    "Sister," sung by Tata Vega from The Color Purple.

Although it was not the original soundtrack to the film, Aretha Franklin's "Sparkle", the entire album was superb! Curtis Mayfield wrote and produced songs that were perfect for the times, the '70's.
    So true.........

This was and still is one of my favorite scenes and songs from a motion picture.......Mr. Nicholson is just dam ridiculous........and Prince smokes.....

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Great choices Paladin and P-Shark! This is a good thread! One I really, really liked at the time [[although, it was not exactly the theme of the movie, it was the only somewhat original song on the soundtrack) was G.C. Cameron's "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" from the film "Cooley High.
    Wasn't the Supremes' "Baby Love" the opening song for "Cooley High"? Again, although not necessarily a "theme song", it's the first thing I think about when I consider that film. Oh, and "The Blues Brother" opened with "She Caught The Cady". I know it was a bit of parody, but I love their version of that song.

Excellence personified.......makes a great set, I always had part 1, when I found part 2 I was ecstatic......

Name:  Dead 3.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  51.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Wasn't the Supremes' "Baby Love" the opening song for "Cooley High"? Again, although not necessarily a "theme song", it's the first thing I think about when I consider that film. Oh, and "The Blues Brother" opened with "She Caught The Cady". I know it was a bit of parody, but I love their version of that song.
    Yes,yes! It was the perfect use of the song to set the tone and timeframe of the film. We went to see it the week it came out and I remember now all of the girls in the theater snapping their fingers and singing along to "Baby Love"! This was 1975 mind you, so the song had not gotten tiresome by then. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Excellence personified.......makes a great set, I always had part 1, when I found part 2 I was ecstatic......

Name:  Dead 3.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  51.9 KB
    Oh man! I just watch this last weekend. Isaac Haye's "Walk On By" was a standout in the film to me.

I wanted to link "Colleen" by The Heavy, which closed out "Mad Money", but curiously, the official video is not online anywhere.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 03-22-2012 at 11:13 AM.

O snap.........!!!!!!