[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 ... LastLast
    smark21 Guest

Racist murder of 17 year old Trayvon Martin in Florida

Has anyone else been following the case in Florida of a 17 year old African American teenager who was shot be white/hispanic trigger happy Neighborhood Watch patrolman whom the police let go scot free? Here's the latest--apparently the police in the community were lying when they initially claimed that the neighborhood watch guy didn't know what color the 17 year was.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/1...set_type=audio

There's a lot about this on ABCNews.com. Between this and the "Don't Re-Nig in 2012" bumper stickers, it's clear that we aren't much further along in 2012 than we were when Emmit Till was murdered.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention this. It is a horrific tragedy that is only getting minor media attention via CNN mainly. How does this stuff keep happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    There's a lot about this on ABCNews.com. Between this and the "Don't Re-Nig in 2012" bumper stickers, it's clear that we aren't much further along in 2012 than we were when Emmit Till was murdered.
    Isn't it a shame? I really believed things would have gotten better by now.

I did too. I try to imagine the shoes being on opposite feet: The teenager shooting the block watch vigilante for any possible reason. I'm sure the cops would take his word for it that he was defending himself. Time to dust off my old Public Enemy records...

The shooting of an innocent young man is tragic but Can someone explain how the whole world has figured out that George Zimmerman is a racist?

Truly, explain it.

Criminal, stupid? The courts will decide but racist?

I guess we can without a doubt paint every black on white or black on latino crime as racist in nature as well with this illogic.

Quote Originally Posted by funky_fresh View Post
    The shooting of an innocent young man is tragic but Can someone explain how the whole world has figured out that George Zimmerman is a racist?

Truly, explain it.

I guess we can without a doubt paint every black on white or black on latino crime as racist in nature as well with this illogic.
    I don't know. I highly doubt that he would have shot and killed a white kid coming home from getting candy and a soda though. I hope he, George Zimmerman gets the Death Penalty!

Marv

He should get the Death Penalty because not only did he commit cold blooded murder on an unarmed individual [[he was told to do nothing until the police arrived.....)

But, he lied about it and said he shot the kid in self defense. Death Penalty for George Zimmerman is the only way I will not believe this is a case of pure racism.

Quote Originally Posted by funky_fresh View Post

Truly, explain it.

Many whites have a heightened sense of fear when they see a Black person, even if they don't recognize it. They imagine the the threat is greater than it is. It's the same as when some Blacks automatically think all whites are racist.Just like the study that came out a couple of days ago that found that people who have arachnophobia imagine the spider is much larger than it really is. fear a a great and dangerous motivaror. It causes war and other tragedies.

Police rarely take this into account when a non-white gets killed by a white cop. They don't seen to believe believe that whites can be biased.

I cannot say the shooter was a racist, but I can say that it was racially motivated considering what I explained above, and the statement he made about being tired of these "assholes"..
    Last edited by soulster; 03-18-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Many whites have a heightened sense of fear when they see a Black person, even if they don't recognize it. They imagine the the threat is greater than it is. It's the same as when some Blacks automatically think all whites are racist.Just like the study that came out a couple of days ago that found that people who have arachnophobia imagine the spider is much larger than it really is. fear a a great and dangerous motivaror. It causes war and other tragedies.

Police rarely take this into account when a non-white gets killed by a white cop. They don't seen to believe believe that whites can be biased.

I cannot say the shooter was a racist, but I can say that it was racially motivated considering what I explained above, and the statement he made about being tired of these "assholes"..

Don't fall for the same old okey doke! That man would have never drawn a gun and shot and killed that kid had be been white. We know this! The 911 tapes are already proving that Zimmerman and police lied to cover up this murder. The police originally claimed that Zimmerman didn't know the color or ethnicity of the teenager he was following. In the 911 tapes Zimmerman clearly states that the kid was a black male in his late teens........ I don't want a discussion of black on white, black on black, black on latino etc,etc crime. I would like to focus on the FACTS of THIS CASE. I will follow this one to conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Don't fall for the same old okey doke! That man would have never drawn a gun and shot and killed that kid had be been white. We know this! The 911 tapes are already proving that Zimmerman and police lied to cover up this murder. The police originally claimed that Zimmerman didn't know the color or ethnicity of the teenager he was following. In the 911 tapes Zimmerman clearly states that the kid was a black male in his late teens........ I don't want a discussion of black on white, black on black, black on latino etc,etc crime. I would like to focus on the FACTS of THIS CASE. I will follow this one to conclusion.
    I addressed how I saw it. Yes, Zimmerman lied and tried to say that the victim was an aggressor, and yes, the police tried to cover it up, like they always do. Still, I am not excusing him for what he did by speaking to what could be the psychology behind it.

Only a through investigation of Zimmerman can reveal evidence that he acted racially. Either way, race was part of this, and it was premeditated. Zimmerman should do serious time. But, in this age of a "Black" President of the United States, with the racists coming out clutching their bibles and guns, i'll bet he walks.

The cops won't even charge the man. That speaks volumes.
    Last edited by soulster; 03-18-2012 at 04:11 AM.

I addressed how I saw it. Yes, Zimmerman lied and tried to say that the victim was an aggressor, and yes, the police tried to cover it up, like they always do. Still, I am not excusing him for what he did by speaking to what could be the psychology behind it.

Only a through investigation of Zimmerman can reveal evidence that he acted racially. Either way, race was part of this, and it was premeditated. Zimmerman should do serious time. But, in this age of a "Black" President of the United States, with the racists coming out clutching their bibles and guns, i'll bet he walks.

The cops won't even charge the man. That speaks volumes.
    Witnesses that heard the kid begging for help claim that the cries stopped abruptly once they heard the gunshot. So imagine this kid lying there or even standing there begging for his life [[keep in mind he had committed no crime) and Mr. Zimmerman shoots him anyway! I say that it is even worse than racism, it is inhumane!

What I don't understand is how someone identified as a member of a neighborhood watch group has the authority to shoot and kill someone? I'm a member of my neighborhood watch and all I can do is call the police if I see a crime being committted. When did neighborhood watch volunteers become police officers?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-18-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Good question, Kam, when did that happen?
    I also find myself agreeing with soulster. Ten dollars to a donut the guy walks. And if he's not racist he sure does
    a pretty good impression of one...
    Oh, and Jerry Oz...I believe some of us have moved a very long way beyond Emmit Till's time while others have gone back actually further.That we have a black man in the White House has stirred up a mess of them...

Although I cannot imagine it happening, let's say Mr. Zimmerman "walks". What possible case could his attorney put forth that would allow a jury to find him not guilty of even criminally neglient homicide?

Witnesses that heard the kid begging for help claim that the cries stopped abruptly once they heard the gunshot. So imagine this kid lying there or even standing there begging for his life [[keep in mind he had committed no crime) and Mr. Zimmerman shoots him anyway! I say that it is even worse than racism, it is inhumane!
    Ya, I just heard that this morning in the news. In that case, I was right. it was premeditated, and the cops are complicit in all of this. And, he'll walk. Nothing has changed in this country. I wonder what funky-fresh has to say now.

Here's a petition to prosecute killer

http://www.change.org/petitions/pros...trayvon-martin

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    Here's a petition to prosecute killer

http://www.change.org/petitions/pros...trayvon-martin
    What have we come to as a nation when we have to petition to get someone arrested for a premeditated murder?

I hope the Justice Department steps in, the family files a civil suit, and the police chief loses his job over this. Or, maybe some of that "good 'ol boy" justice will find the shooter.
    Last edited by soulster; 03-18-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added a phrase for clarity

^Good point

It is pathetic that a petition and a march must be used in 2012 just to get the justice that should be expected by any American Citizen. How could they even think of letting this man go free? HE WENT HOME THE SAME NIGHT OF THE MURDER!

What have we come to as a nation when we have to petition to get someone arrested for a premeditated murder?

I hope the Justice Department steps in, the family files a civil suit, and the police chief loses his job over this. Or, maybe some of that "good 'ol boy" justice will find the shooter.
    Hey soulster. I agree with you 100+%

Ya, I just heard that this morning in the news. In that case, I was right. it was premeditated, and the cops are complicit in all of this. And, he'll walk. Nothing has changed in this country. I wonder what funky-fresh has to say now.
    We've seen this played out hundreds of times in our country's history. Even if they charge him, the cops will only do so much to investigate and assist the prosecution. Consequently, the hand-picked jury [[in the same state that let Casey Anthony walk) will find him not guilty. I thank God that I'm too far away for any of the scenarios in my mind to be considered feasible or I might be in jail tomorrow, myself. But it would be "self-defense", so maybe I could go home that night as well.

I urge everyone to please sign this important petition.

Thank you,

Roberta

Seventeen-year-old Trayvon Martin was shot and killed while walking home from a convenience store on the evening of February 26. The shooter, George Zimmerman, was the neighborhood watch captain. Zimmerman, a 200-pound 28-year-old with a history of violence, claimed self defense, even though Trayvon Martin had no criminal history and nothing more than candy and an iced tea in his hands.
    It's a deep injustice that George Zimmerman remains free. That's why I created a petition on SignOn.org to Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, which says:
    George Zimmerman's shooting of Trayvon Martin, an African American teenager, reveals a history of racism in Sanford, Florida, that has stubbornly refused to die. Weeks after the shooting, the Sanford police department is slow to release details of the shooting and, more surprisingly, has not arrested George Zimmerman, a man who has a history of violence.
    We urge you to sign this petition to protect private citizens from gun violence and inept law enforcement. Florida's Attorney General Pam Bondi must step in and provide justice for Trayvon Martin, his family, and the community.
    Will you sign the petition? Click here to add your name, and then pass it along to your friends:
    http://www.moveon.org/r?r=272971&id=...11-vAxZ8ix&t=2

I just heard some tapes of calls to the police. There is no doubt in my mind that there is enough evidence to arrest Zimmerman.

The shooter, George Zimmerman, wanted to be a cop. For some reason, thankfully, he did not get to become a police officer. Usually, people like him try to get jobs where they have some kind of authority - auxiliary cops, guards, etc. Zimmerman was a neighborhood watch volunteer. He has called 911 more than three dozen times and they were all false alarms. Zimmerman's neighborhood watch group was never registered and Zimmerman violated basic neighborhood guidelines which state to never carry a gun and never confront a suspect. He chased the kid even though 911 told him not to. This is miles away from self defense. Zimmerman probably sees himself as a protector when in fact, he is a vigilante.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    I just heard some tapes of calls to the police. There is no doubt in my mind that there is enough evidence to arrest Zimmerman.
    Then sign the moveon petition please.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The shooter, George Zimmerman, wanted to be a cop. For some reason, thankfully, he did not get to become a police officer. Usually, people like him try to get jobs where they have some kind of authority - auxiliary cops, guards, etc. Zimmerman was a neighborhood watch volunteer. He has called 911 more than three dozen times and they were all false alarms. Zimmerman's neighborhood watch group was never registered and Zimmerman violated basic neighborhood guidelines which state to never carry a gun and never confront a suspect. He chased the kid even though 911 told him not to. This is miles away from self defense. Zimmerman probably sees himself as a protector when in fact, he is a vigilante.
    Please sign the moveon petition.

Here's what I want to know. This was a rich, gated community. Why was it patrolled by volunteers, and not TRAINED security personnel? Cheap, conservative Floridians trying to save a little money, that's why. These same people hire illegals to cut their grass, and then bitch about paying too many taxes form their 5,000 square foot mansions.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Here's what I want to know. This was a rich, gated community. Why was it patrolled by volunteers, and not TRAINED security personnel? Cheap, conservative Floridians trying to save a little money, that's why. These same people hire illegals to cut their grass, and then bitch about paying too many taxes form their 5,000 square foot mansions.
    Have you not ever heard of gated communities? They are all over, and they are not all wealthy neighborhoods. Many are integrated. Many residents have citizens who patrol their areas. It's one of the benefits of living in a gated community. Obviously, Black people live in these too.

What I see is that you have, in this case, a white wannabe cop who racially profiled a black kid and took matters into his own hands. He executed the teenager, lied about it, and the real cops refuse to do anything about it.

Have you not ever heard of gated communities? They are all over, and they are not all wealthy neighborhoods. Many are integrated. Many residents have citizens who patrol their areas. It's one of the benefits of living in a gated community. Obviously, Black people live in these too.

What I see is that you have, in this case, a white wannabe cop who racially profiled a black kid and took matters into his own hands. He executed the teenager, lied about it, and the real cops refuse to do anything about it.
    White? Does he look white to you?

George Zimmerman, the man who murdered an unarmed 17 year old boy, has still not been arrested

George Zimmerman, the man who murdered an unarmed 17 year old boy, has still not been arrested

Yes he does. He could be Cuban. With a name like "Zimmerman", he may very well be Jewish. But, that's beside the point. He profiled a teenager, stalked, confronted, and executed an unarmed Black teenager who was in no way a threat to him, or anyone else. The police refused to investigate, and closed the case. The man has not been charged. This stinks to high-heaven.

According to the link that Soulster posted above , he is Hispanic and from a multiracial background. He was part of an unsanctioned neighborhood watch that he started and probably was the only member. He was a wanna be cop that couldn't be, so he found another way to be authoritative. From all the 911 calls , he was a troublemaker. There seems to be one in every neighborhood. Doesn't matter what ethnic background the guy comes from. It matters what's in his head. I would guess , not much. There is a guy like this in every neighborhood. They criticize everyone but think they are above the law. They are un-liked in the neighborhood. When a new neighbor comes in, they are friendly to the new neighbor and it doesn't take long for the new neighbor to find out that the guy is nothing more than a troublemaker.

Thankfully, I woke up this morning to hear on the news that the FBI is investigating the incident.

Many Hispanics can be considered "white". many also put it down that way on the census, and even their birth certificate. It also never mentioned what his father is, just his mother. That is neither here nor there. The fact remains, he targeted young Black males. That is racist. The fact that he wasn't even a cop makes it worse. Hispanics can be racists too, you know. Blacks can be racists.

this horrible situation happened down the street from my un-gated middle class neighborhood.The gated community of townhomes where this happened is NOT by any strech of the imagination a high class upper crust neighborhood....they sell NEW for $120,000 & even though they are gate access by vehicle many pedestrians can walk through by cutting through the apartment complex next door to it.The neighborhood is an equal mix of Hispanic,white & Afro-Americans, it also has been having an increase in break-ins & car burglaries .This has been made a racial situation by the news media, not by the affected family or Sanford citizens.There are many conflicting stories about who was calling for help ect by neighbors.I have to drive by that entrance every morning on my way to work & the amount of news media set up by the elementary school across the street is amazing & has been like this for 3 weeks. CNN is one of the last to jump in.From what I have gathered this Zimmerman guy let the power of "neighborhood watch" captain go to his head & ofcourse should not have had a gun while patrolling for neighborhood watch.He was also told by the Sanford Police [[he had called their business line Not 911)not to pursue the person as an officer was dispatched.Their are many conflicting stories with neighbors changing their stories & ofcourse the drama of the news media. 2 17 year olds were recently arrested in my neighborhood for break-ins...one was Black & one white[[not hispanic). This is a horrible tragedy & my thoughts & prayers are with Trayvon Martins family.

I just got an email from MSNBC: "Florida state attorney says a grand jury will investigate the Trayvon Martin case." They should take a long hard look at the Sanford PD. This is not the first time they've engaged in questionable [[at best) behavior.

I guess I can go down to Florida, shoot somebody, and claim self-defense. They can't charge me under their "Stand your ground" law.

They played the remaining portion of the 911 tape on MSNBC today. Mr. Zimmerman referred to Trayvon Martin as "a f-ing ni*g*r"!

They played the remaining portion of the 911 tape on MSNBC today. Mr. Zimmerman referred to Trayvon Martin as "a f-ing ni*g*r"!
    Yup. That confirms it. What else do you need? OK funky-fresh, now tell us it isn't racial. Now let's see you try to defend the guy!

soulster, I hope you are not referring to me as i am NOT defending anyone. If that 911 call is correct, which that was not part of any calls played here yet, then he will be nailed for manslaughter & rightfully so.There were 2 witnesses in the local press that backed up Zimmermans account at the time, a young Black man that was walking his dog & a neighbor woman lookin out her window[[which I never saw indentified) I understand the neighbor woman has changed her story a couple of times.Ofcourse, I am hearing different stuff in the neighborhoods & different stuff on the TV news.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    soulster, I hope you are not referring to me as i am NOT defending anyone.
    Are you this person? http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...229#post100229

Trayvon was carrying a dangerous weapon, a bag of skittles. What if he threw that in Zimmerman's eye?

I guess I can go down to Florida, shoot somebody, and claim self-defense. They can't charge me under their "Stand your ground" law.
    Another bonehead law signed by a Bush

Another bonehead law signed by a Bush
    Forced by the NRA.

^Neurotic Republican Assholes

I hate republiKKKans!

SMH. So I can walk up behind you, slap you on the back of your head, and when you turn around to confront me, I can shoot you dead because I was afraid for my life. There's no way the "stand your ground" principle [[such as it is) intends for someone to start a confrontation, escalate it to the standard for harassment [[chasing an innocent person for blocks), and then shoot someone to protect yourself. If this isn't resolved soon, from the description provided by motony, that neighborhood can go up in a blaze of gunfire at any moment. All it takes is indignant people from outside to come in to handle things "their way".

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    this horrible situation happened down the street from my un-gated middle class neighborhood.The gated community of townhomes where this happened is NOT by any strech of the imagination a high class upper crust neighborhood....they sell NEW for $120,000 & even though they are gate access by vehicle many pedestrians can walk through by cutting through the apartment complex next door to it.The neighborhood is an equal mix of Hispanic,white & Afro-Americans, it also has been having an increase in break-ins & car burglaries .This has been made a racial situation by the news media, not by the affected family or Sanford citizens.There are many conflicting stories about who was calling for help ect by neighbors.I have to drive by that entrance every morning on my way to work & the amount of news media set up by the elementary school across the street is amazing & has been like this for 3 weeks. CNN is one of the last to jump in.From what I have gathered this Zimmerman guy let the power of "neighborhood watch" captain go to his head & ofcourse should not have had a gun while patrolling for neighborhood watch.He was also told by the Sanford Police [[he had called their business line Not 911)not to pursue the person as an officer was dispatched.Their are many conflicting stories with neighbors changing their stories & ofcourse the drama of the news media. 2 17 year olds were recently arrested in my neighborhood for break-ins...one was Black & one white[[not hispanic). This is a horrible tragedy & my thoughts & prayers are with Trayvon Martins family.
    Unfortunately it is indeed racial in this case and Zimmerman may be charge with a Hate Crime. They have him on tape referring to the late Trayvon Martin as a "f-ing N-word". This whole incident is fundementally wrong and no one on Earth can change my opinion on that regardless of how Sanford, Florida residents are viewing it. They can go to Hell as far as I am concern because it's their way of thinking that created an environment where something like this could happen. It's same thing as the murder last year by a black man by a group of Mississippi teenagers only because he was black. They beat him and then one of them ran him over in Ford F-250 pick up truck. It was just as inhumane as what Zimmerman did to Trayvon Martin. You would not treat and murder a dog like that.

Don't blame the news media when things like this happens. They didn't create the hate and they did not pull the trigger on a unarmed kid. What they did do and I half-heartedly applaud them, is shine a national spotlight on this horrific crime. Had the media not brought this murder to the attention of the country, it would no doubt gone unpunished and swept under the rug. Why blame the media for what this Zimmerman asshole did?

Unfortunately it is indeed racial in this case and Zimmerman may be charge with a Hate Crime. They have him on tape referring to the late Trayvon Martin as a "f-ing N-word". This whole incident is fundementally wrong and no one on Earth can change my opinion on that regardless of how Sanford, Florida residents are viewing it. They can go to Hell as far as I am concern because it's their way of thinking that created an environment where something like this could happen. It's same thing as the murder last year by a black man by a group of Mississippi teenagers only because he was black. They beat him and then one of them ran him over in Ford F-250 pick up truck. It was just as inhumane as what Zimmerman did to Trayvon Martin. You would not treat and murder a dog like that.
    Dollars to donuts if Zimmerman had murdered a dog he'd probably be in custody. Personally, I think the Sanford PD should arrest him ASAP and then go in the cell with him and throw the keys away. The way they've handled this borders on, if not is, criminal.
    Last edited by MotownSteve; 03-21-2012 at 09:01 AM.