[REMOVE ADS]

THE LIFE AND TIMES OF WILSON PICKETT-BBC RADIO 2-12th MARCH 2012

THE WICKED PICKETT-THE LIFE AND TIMES OF WILSON PICKETT-BBC RADIO 2-12th MARCH 2012

Duration-60 minutes
    Broadcast BBC Radio 2 March 12th at 10pm and then for the next 7 days on the I-Player http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01d5nn0

Roger Daltrey, lead singer of The Who, tells the story of soul legend Wilson Pickett

The programme features the first radio interview with his brother Max and his ex-partner Dovie Hall as well as fellow soul stars like Eddie Floyd, Willlie Schofield,Sir Mack Rice, Bobby Womack Steve Cropper, Bobby Eli, and many more
    It tells the story of his beginnings as a child down in Alabama and his induction into The Falcons whilst in Detroit right through to worldwide success whilst at Atlantic records, his struggles with the disco period and his return to form with his last album "Its Harder Now"

I would love to see a movie about Wilson Pickett.

I heard , for the first time this morning on CKWW radio, Wilson Pickett's version of "Born to Be Wild" and it was very good! A movie about him would be something special.

Wilson Pickett had one of the most unique voices. I'm not sure if I would call him a good singer but I would tell anyone he was one of the best vocal stylists. Another confluence of great production and fantastic talent was his work in Muscle Shoals. Now I'm going to have "Mustang Sally" in my head for the rest of the night...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Wilson Pickett had one of the most unique voices. I'm not sure if I would call him a good singer but I would tell anyone he was one of the best vocal stylists. Another confluence of great production and fantastic talent was his work in Muscle Shoals. Now I'm going to have "Mustang Sally" in my head for the rest of the night...
    I'd say Wilson was a good singer. It depends on what he is signing. His, "I'm In Love", "Hey Jude", "Ninety-Nine and a Half" and "I Found A Love" [[with the Falcons) are good examples of his dynamite vocal ability. He was pure power vocally ala Levi Stubbs and guys like that.

Wilson was as powerful on the stage as he was on record. I think he had two particularly successful phases to his career.....the Memphis Muscle Shoals recordings, and the equally good Philadelphia recordings. When he strode on stage in London in the 70s wearing a black jump suit, black cowboy hat, looking awesome, he amazed with the power of his delivery and his warmth and charisma as a showman.
    Here's Wilson at his most dramatic on a Bunny Sigler / U. Dozier song, "Days Go By"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Vwv5OSQrw

Wilson was also one of the "hollerers" that I admired along with James Brown and Bobby Womack. I listen to Hey Jude just to hear him explode during the song's ending. I miss him and James being around also.

I shouldn't have stopped back and re-read this thread. Now, I'm going to have "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" and in my head for the rest of the night.