[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    So EJLuther, Carlo, Jill and I agree..............quite a few in agreement. And where does that get us? LOL Nice to see a bit of agreement anyway.

I think one other item that bears pointing out is that for those that want to make more out of this, Mary Wilson had her book returned for more spice..........so, she may have accentuated some of these things a bit more than she really wanted to.

As her recent note about Diana said...........these things are seen differently when seen through the eyes of a Grandmother.

honest man Guest
    Well im shocked really, i never knew Mary was a coke head,don't remember that bit in her book,what a suprise.can't believe her doing that stuff, Mary of all people,80s 90s whatever it is not good.wow.

Jeez...29 years after the 1983 event it's still being chewed on? I have never posted my take on this but I will do so now, and only one time.

The only people who saw the ridiculous incident were those in attendance. I was not there so this is all purely conjecture on my part.

From all accounts, Diane was quite ill with the flu or some such and was disoriented from it to a degree, in addition to having a history of taking unrehearsed star turns even when she was healthy. Mary admits she and Cindy had formulated a "contingency plan" to deviate from what had been rehearsed in case Diane herself deviated from what had been rehearsed. Diane apparently did deviate so Mary also deviated and then everything went all to hell. Two wrongs have never made a right after all.

To make matters worse, many in attendance had been waiting and, dare I say, hoping that some kind of discord would transpire and when it did they ate it up and then fed the leftovers to the media, after seasoning them up no doubt. Mary then took the ball and ran with it in Dreamgirl, reportedly at the direction of the publisher, who was looking for dirt and would not have sent the book to press without it. Had she in fact wanted to take the high road and at least balance the good girl/bad girl equation and address her own shortcomings rather than depicting herself solely as a victim, Mary would probably have lost the book deal at a time when she was having personal and financial difficulties.

There's definitely no heroine in this, but, sadly, there are two victims who no doubt both regret their behavior and would go back and do it all differently if they could. Neither wishes to revisit it [[who would?) and both have made that abundantly clear. It's us, the fans who claim to love these ladies, who have kept the pot boiling for nearly thirty years and no doubt will keep it boiling for the next thirty.

Even though it might finally quiet this tempest in a teapot, there will never be a Supremes reunion — at least not in a public performance. It's too bad the only people who seem to have moved on are the two actual participants.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Well im shocked really, i never knew Mary was a coke head,don't remember that bit in her book,what a suprise.can't believe her doing that stuff, Mary of all people,80s 90s whatever it is not good.wow.
    Then you are naive. Many millions of people in this country did, try or used coke in the 70's, 80's including some people you cherish but just don't know about. Including people that post right here on these forums. So if you are shocked now, then get ready to drop dead when you learn about others that indulged in recreational drugs. What is the old saying? "sex, drugs and Rock N' Roll"! So save your feigned indignation about Mary Wilson because it is so thin, I can see you through it.........

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Jeez...29 years after the 1983 event it's still being chewed on? I have never posted my take on this but I will do so now, and only one time.

The only people who saw the ridiculous incident were those in attendance. I was not there so this is all purely conjecture on my part.

From all accounts, Diane was quite ill with the flu or some such and was disoriented from it to a degree, in addition to having a history of taking unrehearsed star turns even when she was healthy. Mary admits she and Cindy had formulated a "contingency plan" to deviate from what had been rehearsed in case Diane herself deviated from what had been rehearsed. Diane apparently did deviate so Mary also deviated and then everything went all to hell. Two wrongs have never made a right after all.

To make matters worse, many in attendance had been waiting and, dare I say, hoping that some kind of discord would transpire and when it did they ate it up and then fed the leftovers to the media, after seasoning them up no doubt. Mary then took the ball and ran with it in Dreamgirl, reportedly at the direction of the publisher, who was looking for dirt and would not have sent the book to press without it. Had she in fact wanted to take the high road and at least balance the good girl/bad girl equation and address her own shortcomings rather than depicting herself solely as a victim, Mary would probably have lost the book deal at a time when she was having personal and financial difficulties.

There's definitely no heroine in this, but, sadly, there are two victims who no doubt both regret their behavior and would go back and do it all differently if they could. Neither wishes to revisit it [[who would?) and both have made that abundantly clear. It's us, the fans who claim to love these ladies, who have kept the pot boiling for nearly thirty years and no doubt will keep it boiling for the next thirty.

Even though it might finally quiet this tempest in a teapot, there will never be a Supremes reunion — at least not in a public performance. It's too bad the only people who seem to have moved on are the two actual participants.
    Preach BigAl. Best post ever written about the Supremes Motown 25 reunion.

Fondly,

Roberta

honest man Guest
    No pretence here mister,whats it to you if she was a crack head,just got a suprise that she was into it,with her being so thorough in her books ,you know THE TRUTH [Wink ],suprised the subject of chemical abuse was not elaborated more [addiction ] especially as such minor incidents[Shove,Shove] etc was,don't waste your time replying i owe you nothing i replied to something i did not know, i know now though cheers.

Great post Al. Congratulations.

You have to be a real fool to play with cocaine. My police officer friends say that many people are immediately addicted as soon as they try it and the next hit will never match the one before.

None of this is new anyway. I'm sure Mary will be happy that all of this is being rehashed.

It's one thing when you are at the top of the heap and get crapped all over like Diana was, Whitney, Beyonce; but it's another matter when you were a group member that not everyone knows and you get dragged through the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    No pretence here mister,whats it to you if she was a crack head,just got a suprise that she was into it,with her being so thorough in her books ,you know THE TRUTH [Wink ],suprised the subject of chemical abuse was not elaborated more [addiction ] especially as such minor incidents[Shove,Shove] etc was,don't waste your time replying i owe you nothing i replied to something i did not know, i know now though cheers.
    What is to me dude? She is my friend and one our music icons. She was never a crack head. You should stop with the lying. What is it to me to see you trying to smear an innocent person? Everything!

What is your investment in these women any way? You would not know shit about any of it if Mary had not wrote about it and told it herself! What's there to elaborate? It evidently never became a big problem for her unlike with Diana Ross who has had several well publicized stints in rehab over the years! Oh don't even try to use that weak-kneed "don't waste your time replying" because I just did and you will never get away with smear tactics when I am around. You know nothing!

So here it is again. I started this thread about PBS asking for a re-union and it was civil until a Diana basher started. That led to Mary bashing and it is depressing for a Supreme fan to see all this mud slinging. It is obvious who the initial instigator is, and I have a question about the ignore button. If I click that member to ignore, how will it affect the rest of the thread? For instance, if the ignored member says that another member is stupid or knows nothing and I have him on ignore, will I see the response from the member that he offended? And will that response make sense to me if I do not know what he is responding to?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    So here it is again. I started this thread about PBS asking for a re-union and it was civil until a Diana basher started. That led to Mary bashing and it is depressing for a Supreme fan to see all this mud slinging. It is obvious who the initial instigator is, and I have a question about the ignore button. If I click that member to ignore, how will it affect the rest of the thread? For instance, if the ignored member says that another member is stupid or knows nothing and I have him on ignore, will I see the response from the member that he offended? And will that response make sense to me if I do not know what he is responding to?

If you use the ignore option, in most cases, you won't see the offender's comments. Now if it were possible not to allow them to see what you posted... that would be great. But ignore does alleviate a lot of headaches while I'm on the forum. I figured, people that I don't know from a potato chip should not get under my skin. They aren't giving me anything to enhance my life or contributing anything valuable to my life or saying anything that I need to hear. In other words, they are not that important to me so why let them in my space.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-13-2012 at 07:55 PM.

honest man Guest
    Hello not smearing anyone you just said she wrote about it herself[i did not say it,right],who's talking about Diana Ross [you],not me,why bring her up,im not into comparing these women,my life has not got that sad yet and hopefully won't,Walk that LINE,One of my fave Mary songs,i wonder if it;s really about [oh forget it],im off to read Mary's book again maybe the page about her addiction is missing, thats why i did n't know all this, we learn new things everyday on SDF cheers Marv for the info.

How wonderfully perfect your own lives must be to feel the need to talk about Diana Ross and Mary Wilson's past weaknesses in a public forum.

I guarantee, at this very moment, several of you have extended family members dealing with these same exact problems.

Let's talk about something that touches a little closer to home. Your niece that's involved in a violent relationship. Your cousin that's an alcoholic. Your sister that overdosed from drugs. I'm done hearing about Diana and Mary. Let's get to the good stuff.

Who is first? I'm all ears.

People often mention how Diana nixed the Supremes medley but what about her own songs? She only sings just a little bit of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and I've always been curious is there was ever a planned medley/selection of her solo hits? Regardless what happened that night and whatever the reasons were that we didn't get more music from both Diana and the Supremes, it was a real missed opportunity for both them and their fans that clearly still stings...

Mary...........you need to find that nice letter you once posted on here. I was sure I'd saved a copy but I can't find it. It always bears repeating.

If Mary W. ever raises this site with you, you have to tell her that all the Supremes are loved.

honest man Guest
    OH Please i come on SDF to escape from the crap in my life, yes i have a brother with mental-addiction, a couple of neices and nephews also,i nursed my poor mother till she passed a couple of years ago with a brain tumour, same thing now with my mother in law,BUT who cares,why come on here and bring people down with your own personal things that what friends and family is all about,i come on here to talk about music and such, not the gloom and doom please,right back to the SDF I went to find the Mary Wilson book to read, my wife reminded me it had gone into the charity bag years ago as i only read a few chapters,it was a comic ,yes so was Tales of a Sparrow should have gave the money i spent to the Homeless,just played the DIANA ROSS 76 EXPANDED ,wonderful especially the alt to love again. After you,love the set WELL DONE HARRY AND GANG FOR ANOTHER EXCELLENT RELEASE , CHEERS FOLKS.

honest man Guest
    Oh forgot to say i have followed DRATS for 42 YEARS Along with all the motown acts,believe me i know a lot about Motown so get that right,thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Mary...........you need to find that nice letter you once posted on here. I was sure I'd saved a copy but I can't find it. It always bears repeating.

If Mary W. ever raises this site with you, you have to tell her that all the Supremes are loved.
    Mary Wilson has been advised to stay away from this site. She knows it exsists and knows that all the Supremes are loved. I can't speak for Mary, but when she says "leave Diane and I out of this" I imagine she means this mess known as SDF. Never in my life have I seen such vile things written about these legendary ladies. Elsewhere and here. But it is what it is: I pick out the few pieces of good information hidden in all of the bullshit; I enjoy mj's podcasts and hearing from Andy, Harry, Geroge, etc. I don't live in 1970 or 1983 or 1986 or 2000, but I do throw my two cents in from time to time, just to add a little good karma or positivity. It all needs a little balance. Maybe it's my way of "spreadin' love". Oops, I'd better bash Mary since I gave a good Diana reference. Or not. I love cherish and appreicate both of them. The end. And speaking of; for rob:

When "Someday" was released, I was just a twinkle in Daddy Brewster's eye.

To answer your question: being the foolish 12 year old I once was, I thought ALL of the backgrounds were the Supremes [[I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out which Supreme was Diana on the cover of the "Right On" LP.....).

Knowing what we do know, and having become more familiar with Mary's speaking and singing voice over the years, I know Mary Wilson is nowhere on that record.

But to me; does it really matter? Not really. Look, the music of Motown has brought so much happiness to me over the years. It mas made me laugh, made me cry, made me jump for joy. I know it's important to some to say oh, that's Marlene, that's Flo, that's Mary, that's not Mary, but to me, it's truly what's in the grooves that count.

I don't know why Mary and Cindy weren't included on some recordings: maybe it was a matter of cost, maybe it was a matter of logistics, maybe it was a matter of timing; I don't have the answers. But the image they gave; three beautiful, sparkling, fabulous goddesses weighs more than some ooh's and ahh's.

Speaking as a fan, I love Mary Wilson. I love Diana Ross. I am not obsessed with either. When I read the disgusting comments left by others geared towards either women, it pains me. It pains me because we have soldiers overseas losing their lives. We have 21 people still missing on a cruise ship that went awry. We have jobless parents and homeless children all over the United States that tonight will go to bed cold and hungry. And the best some people on this forum and others can do is call Diana Ross a drunk or Mary Wilson a bitch. It makes no sense to me. I can't imagine what has happened in their lives to make them so angry, and ugly. It makes no sense that so much time and energy can be so ill-directed. Maybe the world is filled with hateful, spiteful people. I guess I am fortunate that I don't surround myself with these people. I am fortunate that I have my health, a job, my family, a warm bed, my friends, and a little bit of money in my savings account. And because I have all of these things to be thankful for, I, in turn, am able to pay it forward. I write a check when I can. I volunteer as much as I can. I am trying to leave a footprint I can be proud of, because I believe this it IT for me. One time. One chance. I don't want to be remembered as the bitter betty that found perverse pleasure on picking on some senior citizens.

So here it is: when you call Diana Ross a drunk, remember that person in your own life that has struggled with addiction and made mistakes. Your Mom. Your sister. Your aunt. When you call Diana Ross that, you are calling all of them out. And when you call Mary Wilson a bitch, remember that person in your own life that has struggled with being abused and losing a child. Your best friend. Your cousin. Your niece. When you call Mary Wilson out, you are calling all of them out.

I used to get so angry while driving when someone would cut me off, or tail me going 100 miles an hour. But then, clear as day, it dawned on me: what if that person is in a rush to hear their spouses last breath. Or what if that person is in a rush to console their daughter who just had a miscarriage. Until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, where is the right to call anyone anything other than human?

Be well. That is all. Did that answer your question?

Mary, we love your post and appreciate your kindness toward everyone.

Now I know where your original post is as well.

One thing I love about you is that you are a Mary Wilson friend and you can simply state you know Mary is nowhere to be found on the single version of Stop in the Name of Love.........and you turn it into a non-issue. And of course, that is exactly what it is ~ a minor fact in the scheme of things.

I suppose it is best for former Supremes and their families to stay away from SD...........the free flight of it can be hurtful.

Sitting in an airport for 5 hours today; at least I get to to somewhere warm, with water and whales!

Thanks Mary.

YAWN YAWN Diane bashing.........Mary bashing.......... It's the same old song

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    When I heard the woman on PBS Channel 13 NYC appeal for a Supremes reunion, I thought there will be a thread about it here at this forum and that the thread would not end up well.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    When I heard the woman on PBS Channel 13 NYC appeal for a Supremes reunion, I thought there will be a thread about it here at this forum and that the thread would not end up well.
    It's really pitiful that a group of grown ups are still fighting over a TV Special that aired almost 30 years ago.

One reason Diana was under rehearsed was apparently she only agreed to particapate in Motown 25 like a day or two before the show when she ran into someone old school Motown I forget who - in a resturant and they convinced her to appear..she didnt want to alienate RCA and Berry had put the phone down on her several times in the past year when she had called him a few times over her leaving him..when she arrived for rehearsal very soon before the taping began DePasse said there wasnt time to go through the medley and Diana said "Ok well skip it the girls will be happy with just doing 'Someday'.."

Thanks, nomis - I appreciate you sharing that...

Like the doorkeeper said in[the wizard of oz]..ain't nobody sharin the stage with the great miss ross,not no way not no how...now get lost!!!

When you use ignore, it should blot out that persons posts permanently and irrefutably to you........even if someone else responds with some of that post in it.

We shud have a new thread called "most ignored".

Too bad the PBS lady had no idea what she asked and what it would do on lil ole SD.

More likelihood of Diana being an X Factor judge than there being a Supremes reunion.

What does this X Factor do that American Idol doesn't? They and a Supremes reunion are about as contemporary as the Supremes were in 1977.

Hey supremaholics,you stand a better chance of seeing diana with a seat on the[supreme court]than a supremes reunion!!

There will be no reunion. Besides, as the one poster who is all over these threads and is Ralph's best friend, no one knows who the hell Diana Ross is anymore! So what does it matter?

I have the music and the memories.

Yours in AVON;
    Penny

Couldn't resist....nothing follows........

Name:  sup.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  64.8 KB

I know you should never say never, but in this case, I REALLY think it's NEVER.

Diana should have been there on time-that excuses nothing. There was a subsequent reception before the show so there still could have been more of a rehearsal. Things will be ok in Motown world if there is no reunion but come on--dont give it so much power-if the Berlin wall can come down there could be a reunion or one show on PBS or something.

the reality is that there was never a Beatles re union after the breakup in 1969..and there was much animosity between John and Paul in public, using Yoko Ono as the foil..
    so The Supremes situation is not so unique

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Diana should have been there on time-that excuses nothing. There was a subsequent reception before the show so there still could have been more of a rehearsal. Things will be ok in Motown world if there is no reunion but come on--dont give it so much power-if the Berlin wall can come down there could be a reunion or one show on PBS or something.
    Exactly. If Diane wants to go out on a wimper like she is doing now, it is totally fine. It will be said that it was she that prevented a Supremes Reunion and it was she who basically thumbed her nose at the fans Worldwide. She'll be remembered, but not in such a great light.

There was a time Berry Gordy wanted a proper reunion of his girls, but I don't know if he even cares anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    the reality is that there was never a Beatles re union after the breakup in 1969..and there was much animosity between John and Paul in public, using Yoko Ono as the foil..
    so The Supremes situation is not so unique
    But there is not suppose to be any great animosity anymore between the Supremes. Regarding the Beatles, I can promise you that there is some deep regret there among the surviving Beatles that they never reunited. Tomorrow never came......

that's life in the fast lane..
    just as Supremes fans aledgedly keep a reunion from happening with on line tantrums,
    Beatle fans with the 'blame Yoko" thing faced similar accusations..
    the fact is, on line voices are a microscopic portion of the real world at large, and if these people really wanted to get back together,they would ..
    the two biggest groups of the 1960's were ultimately victims of their own immense success,like many pop casualties that followed with even more dire finales..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    that's life in the fast lane..
    just as Supremes fans aledgedly keep a reunion from happening with on line tantrums,
    Beatle fans with the 'blame Yoko" thing faced similar accusations..
    the fact is, on line voices are a microscopic portion of the real world at large, and if these people really wanted to get back together,they would ..
    the two biggest groups of the 1960's were ultimately victims of their own immense success,like many pop casualties that followed with even more dire finales..
    Exactly! I agree. If they wanted to, they would. Blaming online chat for preventing it doesn't even make sense because generally speaking, the internet did not come into wide spread use until about 15 years ago. The Supremes had 25 prior to that to get it together and have a reunion! I don't care if they do or don't.

Well said Marv. I just saw something about Beatles reunion plans I guess right before John died. I think on some level Diana knows what she has to do but it takes her forever to stop beng stubborn. She made some peace with Mary with her BET comment and Mary once again affimred her on Facebook.

LadySingsBlues Guest
    If Mary is going to make things difficult like she did with the RTL tour then it's definitely not going to be pulled off. Who wants to deal with the drama?

honest man Guest
    Yawn yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

This has really gone crazy and wayyyyyyyyyy out in left field, Have you ever thought about all those times that Mary wrote about that she was trying to get backstage to see Diana ????????
    Did you need another loan Mary from your friend ?? Come on do you guys actually think Mary was going to see Diana in concert because she loved her show so much ?? Think about it.

Good Lord..............these women will be in a nursing home and people will be discussing them hurling bed pans at one another.
    Last edited by blueskies; 03-19-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Yeah, and I am so tired of Diana getting beat up over something that she is not at fault for. Perhaps if Mr. Gordy had of personally asked her to perform on his Motown 25 as he had Michael then perhaps things would have transpired differently.

All of this brought us to Motown 50 and that is why we got no Ross, No Smokey, No Stevie and no more reunions of any kind.

On holiday here........seeing a few whales and doing some snorkeling and boogie boarding...........so, is it safe to assume we are where we always are:

1. No reunion
    2. No comment by anyone that matters
    3. More negative comments about somebody is a bitch and some was a cocaine addict
    4. And the beat goes on........people movin out, people movin in

How are the trolls doing? Or should that be phrased as "how is the troll doing?" Still trolling?

Hoping to read more in the new week.

On holiday here........seeing a few whales and doing some snorkeling and boogie boarding...........so, is it safe to assume we are where we always are:

1. No reunion
    2. No comment by anyone that matters
    3. More negative comments about somebody is a bitch and some was a cocaine addict
    4. And the beat goes on........people movin out, people movin in

How are the trolls doing? Or should that be phrased as "how is the troll doing?" Still trolling?

Hoping to read more in the new week.

just a thought, it would be nice if ALL THE LADIES could get together and, sing the songs that were hits while they were in the group at the time ,with a big final with all the ladies joining diana on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    good lord..............these women will be in a nursing home and people will be discussing them hurling bed pans at one another.
    now you better than that....diana would have a bedpan of her own while the[girls]would have to share one!!

Some years ago, to an interviewer asking if there would ever be a Beatles' reunion, George Harrison replied, "I'm afraid there cannot be a Beatles' reunion so long as John Lennon remains dead." That can apply to The Supremes as well. Even if Diane and Mary were able to bury the hatchet and work together, and to engage Cindy, the fact remains that Florence Ballard is dead. The Supremes no longer exist and have not since 1967.

true dat.....................

BigAl I was just about to write the same thing, without Florence there will never be a Supremes reunion. I think the last time there was was at Berry's party in 1968.

1967......that is the date the Supremes ended; and then they started for another few years in 1970; really only went to about 1973 and then it was a gong show again

so, the word i get is that the trolls are staying in the kitchen, guarding the gate and the keys to the kingdom, just in case the Queen gets another award?????

1967......that is the date the Supremes ended; and then they started for another few years in 1970; really only went to about 1973 and then it was a gong show again

so, the word i get is that the trolls are staying in the kitchen, guarding the gate and the keys to the kingdom, just in case the Queen gets another award?????
    I am sure Susaye Greene, who is a member here would take issue with you referring to her work and tenure with the Supremes as "the Gong Show"! I thought the groups last two albums were some of their strongests and that include some of the garbage albums they put out in the sixties.