[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    When was Diana's last hit / great album? Well, new release-wise, I've atleast loved "Blue", truly treats to the ears, but they still were mostly unearthed from the vault early 70s "Lady Sings the Blues" time recordings...

Stevie Wonder...He's still capable of the occassional new album, even award-winning, top ten-selling, pretty acclaimed ones...remember a Time 2 Love, the one with “From the Bottom of My Heart”, and the Prince-backed “So What’s the Fuss”, was only several years ago, not that long ago…
    Her last hit was something like 30 years ago. It's not even played on oldies stations. How that equates to being the lone Motown survivor is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    There's a lot more omissions and falsehoods than that. The book is full of them. It begins with Motown 25 but leaves out the fact that DR&TS were to be wearing black, white and or silver. Mary, just before her entrance and a nose full of cocaine, changed into a red sequined, showy [[but ill fitting) stage gown pissing off both her group mates and the powers that be at Motown Productions. Then she barged in on Diana's lead and began singing lead - later claiming she thought Diana had lost her place.
    I'll bite...... How do you know Mary's nose was full of cocaine? Were you in the dressing room/ backstage and watched her snort? Or are you going on heresay and/or repeating a possible falsehood that someone has already spread?

LadySingsBlues Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Her last hit was something like 30 years ago. It's not even played on oldies stations. How that equates to being the lone Motown survivor is beyond me.
    When was Mary's last hit?

Quote Originally Posted by LadySingsBlues View Post

Mary who?.........

Aha, new people and we're gonna have some real dirt this time.

So, I was going to ask what the drug was? But I see it's cocaine.

Alleged years of use please? 1983 and when else?

Give it a rest, Rob. You and your "real dirt". Please.

A lot of celebrities did do drugs in the 80's. It wouldn't surprise me if Diana has used cocaine at one time or another. That's just the way it was. It's part of the Hollywood culture. Gotta keep it real...

According to Complete Motown Number Ones, her last number one was "Take Me Higher", #1 Dance in 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Give it a rest, Rob. You and your "real dirt". Please.

A lot of celebrities did do drugs in the 80's. It wouldn't surprise me if Diana has used cocaine at one time or another. That's just the way it was. It's part of the Hollywood culture. Gotta keep it real...
    She did, but it does not get talked about. Rob thrives on acrimony. He loves arguments and then likes to point fingers at others.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-12-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I'll bite...... How do you know Mary's nose was full of cocaine? Were you in the dressing room/ backstage and watched her snort? Or are you going on heresay and/or repeating a possible falsehood that someone has already spread?
    It is a falsehood that no one is spreading but this guy here. You see some of these guys believe that in order to like and be loyal to Diana Ross, they must dislike and smear Mary Wilson. They never own up to why they do it or Mary has done to make them act this way.

supremester Guest
    Because more than one person at the event said so. Mary herself, in her book, claimed to "have a taste for cocaine." That book is so one-sided, common sense tells you that was some appetite. Then Tony Turner's book confirmed it with stories about her snortin' ways and signing Supremes hits to drug dealers for bigger hits of white powder. Mary never sued, so, according to Marv [[everything written is true if not sued for libel) it must all be true.

But, take that away. Let's say Mary was sober as a newborn baby. Her behavior was reprehensible and inexcusable. The Jezabel wearing red when everyone else was monochromatic. Then taking the lead of the song and dancing like a fool to a bluesy, sultry song.....if she wasn't high then that girl has got worse problems than expected singing a song like that. She slapped Diana & Cindy in the face that night and all Supremes fans with em: laying the groundwork for how things are today: no reunion, short selling her house and moving around the world looking for work. And those, Marvi Darling, sad and touching, are the facts.

supremester Guest
    That's a hoot coming from someone who has thousands of Ross hating posts all over the internet - doing exactly what you just described. So much so that Mary herself has had to personally ask you to stop. Y'all got some nerve talking about me that way when you are really describing you. Shall I post a few of your most recent "contributions" on Ross Youtube clips here for all and sundry to see for themselves? Maybe a few with foul language, 4 letter words and falsehoods of your own???

It is a falsehood that no one is spreading but this guy here. You see some of these guys believe that in order to like and be loyal to Diana Ross, they must dislike and smear Mary Wilson. They never own up to why they do it or Mary has done to make them act this way.

But, take that away. Let's say Mary was sober as a newborn baby. Her behavior was reprehensible and inexcusable. The Jezabel wearing red when everyone else was monochromatic. Then taking the lead of the song and dancing like a fool to a bluesy, sultry song.....if she wasn't high then that girl has got worse problems than expected singing a song like that. She slapped Diana & Cindy in the face that night and all Supremes fans with em: laying the groundwork for how things are today: no reunion, short selling her house and moving around the world looking for work. And those, Marvi Darling, sad and touching, are the facts.
    Now I'm confused. You're saying that Mary slapped Diana and Cindy in the face . I've never seen that brought up before.
    I can see why Mr. Gordy would want that footage to be locked away. Diana involved in an alleged altercation with Mary and now your claim of Mary in an alleged altercation with both Diana and Cindy.

PBS would be better off doing a Supremes documentary!

Didn't Martha Reeves wear something gold to Motown 25? And I think one of the Jacksons wore a green jacket? And I could be mistaken, but I think El Debarge wore a red shirt? Let's move on to "High Energy": I think their dresses were purple, green and blue.

So much for black, white and silver.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Why not possibly attempt to re-unite Mary Wilson with the Former Ladies of the Supremes [[ Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence) to call them Supremes again, if only for a tour, or even one concert?

supremester Guest
    It was a metaphor: her behavior was a slap in the face to Diana, Cindy and the fans. You are a fan, you were not PHYSICALLY slapped in the face [[I don't think.)

Now I'm confused. You're saying that Mary slapped Diana and Cindy in the face . I've never seen that brought up before.
    I can see why Mr. Gordy would want that footage to be locked away. Diana involved in an alleged altercation with Mary and now your claim of Mary in an alleged altercation with both Diana and Cindy.

supremester Guest
    Last I heard, Martha and El Debarge weren't members of DR&TS, nor the most high profile act of the evening. Ask Cindy about that night, she has gone public about it. If Diana had worn red, it would have been another chapter in Dreamgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Didn't Martha Reeves wear something gold to Motown 25? And I think one of the Jacksons wore a green jacket? And I could be mistaken, but I think El Debarge wore a red shirt? Let's move on to "High Energy": I think their dresses were purple, green and blue.

Carol, does that sound mental or what? If he continues, he will try to make Mary Wilson out to be the real Osama Bin Laden in disguise. Geez!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    A detailed documentary with interview clips sounds like a very nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Somehow, Marvin Gaye ended up in a blood red suit.

It was a metaphor: her behavior was a slap in the face to Diana, Cindy and the fans. You are a fan, you were not PHYSICALLY slapped in the face [[I don't think.)
    Wasn't a slap in my or anyone that was watching the program that night with me. We loved Mary! I was knocked out at how great she looked that night. As writer Nelson George put it, Mary Wilson looked like the greatest star on Earth that night! Spectacular!

supremester Guest
    That is a great idea! Mary is all about the fans, unselfish and into the whole group with everyone being equals. We want a MSL Reunion.... and we want it soon! I'm sure Scherrie & Lynda would be amenable, and I know I'd buy a ticket to that. What a brilliant idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Why not possibly attempt to re-unite Mary Wilson with the Former Ladies of the Supremes [[ Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence) to call them Supremes again, if only for a tour, or even one concert?

supremester Guest
    Mary did look great. ask the producers of Motown 25 how they felt she looked. ask Cindy or Diana. It got her banned from Motown Productions for decades and didn't help her in the industry who knew what really went on that night and acted on it by avoiding her contractually. She looked great and spun it well on paper, but that money is gone and those she screwed still remember..................just sayin'. Anyway, a reunion with Scherrie and Lynda or even Scherrie & Cindy would feed the fans starved for a reunion. Then, a Jean, Lynda Cindy reunion could follow.

Wasn't a slap in my or anyone that was watching the program that night with me. We loved Mary! I was knocked out at how great she looked that night. As writer Nelson George put it, Mary Wilson looked like the greatest star on Earth that night! Spectacular!

supremester Guest
    Somehow, I don't recall Marvin being a member of Diana Ross & The Supremes. Maybe he joined during the revolving door period! hehehehehe

Somehow, Marvin Gaye ended up in a blood red suit.

That's a hoot coming from someone who has thousands of Ross hating posts all over the internet - doing exactly what you just described. So much so that Mary herself has had to personally ask you to stop. Y'all got some nerve talking about me that way when you are really describing you. Shall I post a few of your most recent "contributions" on Ross Youtube clips here for all and sundry to see for themselves? Maybe a few with foul language, 4 letter words and falsehoods of your own???
    You can print whatever you want you'll just have to explain to Ralph why you did that. Oh, so you know what Mary and I have personally talked about now? Do you have my phone bugged or something?

Somehow, I don't recall Marvin being a member of Diana Ross & The Supremes. Maybe he joined during the revolving door period! hehehehehe
    I don't recall the show being called "The Diana Ross & the Supremes" TV Show either so why you are making such a big deal out of their one minuted 20 second appearance together is strange. What isn't strange is that Diana Ross hurt her reputation and lost some fans because of her behavior that night. I was completely done with her after "Motown 25". So moving right along with other important topics.....!

supremester Guest
    That's a falsehood that no one is spreading but you. Were you there with Diana when she was doing it? Did you see it? What is your point of reference to suggest such a thing with such certainty? Yet you say it's a falsehood about Mary when she admits it, another book documents it and she's out of control on national television to the point of being banned from further Motown Productions.

She did, but it does not get talked about. Rob thrives on acromony. He loves arguments and then likes to point fingers at others.

supremester Guest
    I can, in 24 hours, get an email from Mary about you to print here if you wish. From someone you kicked out of MWOS for inviting Mary to the group and calling you out on your claims to know and be friends with Mary. She didn't know who you were, had NEVER been to MWOS, and said something like "I talk to a lot of fans but I don't know him " and then asked for a picture of "Marv". lol

You can print whatever you want you'll just have to explain to Ralph why you did that. Oh, so you know what Mary and I have personally talked about now? Do you have my phone bugged or something?

supremester Guest
    In reality, 30 years ago Miss Ross was enjoying her second consecutive top 10 pop & R&B hit Mirror mirror from her platinum RCA debut LP Why Do Fools Fall In Love. She would continue to have top 10 Pop and/or R&B singles and gold/platinum albums for years to come both in the US and globally. . In fact, her latest LP I Love You was the highest debut pop LP on the Billboard 200. Nice downspin on her career, though... you do get an E for Effort. Sorry the facts show you up. Well, not to sorry hehehehehe!

LadySingsBlues Guest
    In reality, 30 years ago Miss Ross was enjoying her second consecutive top 10 pop & R&B hit Mirror mirror from her platinum RCA debut LP Why Do Fools Fall In Love. She would continue to have top 10 Pop and/or R&B singles and gold/platinum albums for years to come both in the US and globally. . In fact, her latest LP I Love You was the highest debut pop LP on the Billboard 200. Nice downspin on her career, though... you do get an E for Effort. Sorry the facts show you up. Well, not to sorry hehehehehe!

Now what are the stats for Mary Wilson's solo career 30 years ago? I just know she had to be reigning supreme above Diane, surely.

Mary did look great. ask the producers of Motown 25 how they felt she looked. ask Cindy or Diana. It got her banned from Motown Productions for decades and didn't help her in the industry who knew what really went on that night and acted on it by avoiding her contractually. She looked great and spun it well on paper, but that money is gone and those she screwed still remember..................just sayin'. Anyway, a reunion with Scherrie and Lynda or even Scherrie & Cindy would feed the fans starved for a reunion. Then, a Jean, Lynda Cindy reunion could follow.
    Mary was hardly banned from anything. I don't think they could do an Motown Anniversary show without her participation really if they are going to feature the Supremes in any way. She's been on every Motown Production Anniversary Show I've seen except "Motown at 30" be even then she was mentioned very promeniently by Whoopi Goldberg, the host. Mary was on "Motown Returns to the Apollo", "Motown 40", "Motown 45" and on the "Motown 50th Anniversary Tour". So I don't really understand what you are talking about? You starting to make me laugh very hard right now LOL! oh LOL!

I really wished I knew what you were talking about....industry avoiding her contractually? Are you talking about television? She's been on television tons over the years. Mary gets plenty of work and is usually very busy. We should all be that busy.

smark21 Guest
    Is it true there was only rehearsal held for the Motown 25 Supremes reunion performance? If so, why was there only one? The reunion was supposed to be one of the cornerstones of the show? Surely, more rehearsal should have been set aside. Diana, Mary and Cindy hadn't performed together in 13 years. One would think that a few rehearsals would be required to ensure they would give as special and polished a performance as they did in the late 60's. Was there only one rehearsal because the reunion wasn't sealed until the last minute? Or were there difficulties coordinating schedules? Perhaps if there had been more time for them to get together to rehearse then what went down later that night would never have happened as they could have used rehearsal to air out or act out antagonisms and then get to work. Anyway both Diana and Mary share blame for what happened that night.

uHHH NO
    IT IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN
    Whether Diana loaned her the money or gave her the money is beside the point.
    It was a better deal than the bank.
    Just keep in mind Mary is not the ony Supreme that Diana has helped but, be as it may it is one of the things Ms. Ross never talks about.
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Because they were so great a group, this will never die. But it's gotta be a long shot.

Would Mary really like to do a show with Diana where she was the background singer again doing a song?

As I've said many times, Diana's family will stand in the way if she ever was so inclined; but all she's said in 12 years is "I've tried that"................

But as someone above said, Diana is THE Motown Connection, she's the survivor [[for some reason even more than Stevie; why is no one interested in Stevie anymore? or Smokey?). So we can hope even for a one off............maybe in Central Park!

Not sure why Mary shares the blame other than not wearing black or white.

Smark I will agree it was a fault that both contributed to.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Is it true there was only rehearsal held for the Motown 25 Supremes reunion performance? If so, why was there only one? The reunion was supposed to be one of the cornerstones of the show? Surely, more rehearsal should have been set aside. Diana, Mary and Cindy hadn't performed together in 13 years. One would think that a few rehearsals would be required to ensure they would give as special and polished a performance as they did in the late 60's. Was there only one rehearsal because the reunion wasn't sealed until the last minute? Or were there difficulties coordinating schedules? Perhaps if there had been more time for them to get together to rehearse then what went down later that night would never have happened as they could have used rehearsal to air out or act out antagonisms and then get to work. Anyway both Diana and Mary share blame for what happened that night.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Not sure why Mary shares the blame other than not wearing black or white.
    Mary Wilson was not to blame! Diana Ross messed up that night which why they sent Smokey Robinson out on stage early to protect her from getting decked! I can promise you he was not sent out to protect Mary Wilson LOL! Later during the finale you notice that Diana Ross ran to safety, to the back to the stage and hopped up on the bandstand. While Mary hoists Berry Gordys arm up in victory at the end of the finale. That became the "money shot" in all the papers and morning television news programs the next day!

I can, in 24 hours, get an email from Mary about you to print here if you wish. From someone you kicked out of MWOS for inviting Mary to the group and calling you out on your claims to know and be friends with Mary. She didn't know who you were, had NEVER been to MWOS, and said something like "I talk to a lot of fans but I don't know him " and then asked for a picture of "Marv". lol
    Would you just STFU and get over yourself.... Mary is playing dumb because she don't want to be put in the middle of the fan's squabbles with each other. Ever think of that?

Oh Marv you know I know--just trying to give one benefit of the doubt. Ive always wondered as Diana cut the rehersal short so they had all of one minute, so no one knew what to do really, why shouldnt have Maryand Cindy have moved up with her? They often stood right next to her-TCB, Come See About Me etc If she had continued singing and then the other three songs she may have had the opportunity to stand in front since it seemed so impt to her.

I am a huge Ross fan and defender...
    but she was so terribly wrong to not to show up to rehearse with the girls and she was wrong to drop the hits medley and minimize The Supremes legacy;
    I see both sides and I am fair and balanced enough to say that, in this case, Ross got what was coming to her..
    she had already WON, it wasn't 1969 anymore, she needed to stop fighting ghosts..and she just couldn't bring herself to do it..

You real old time fans that have been around forever, that got jealous because other fans got the freebies from Motown etc., you do know each other. LOL.

Supremester does have some connections and does know some of the stories. And he's telling another side of them.

As the Houston comes up with Patricia and Gary and Bobbi, the Supremes fans hit the ditch again with bad bad stories about bad bad boys.

Get the letter from Mary in 24, 48, 72 hours. I wanna see it. It just might be produceable. These stories have abounded.

Gonna have to read back and see what got said about the drug addiction.

OK..........I've read enough.

The true anti Marv has arrived.

We've shortly rehashed the bad stuff from the books.

Go to it guys; it's been a while.

Welcome Greg.

atcsm Guest
    LadySings
    It is a falsehood that no one is spreading but this guy here. You see some of these guys believe that in order to like and be loyal to Mary Wilson, they must dislike and smear Diana Ross. They never own up to why they do it or Diana has done to make them act this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySingsBlues View Post

For what it's worth, I seem to remember Nelson George writing in his book about Motown [["Where Did Our Love Go?") that he was at Motown 25 and did see Diana turn and put a hand on Mary's shoulder but that it wasn't an aggressive push as it's been made out to be. Does that ring a bell with anyone else? If not, perhaps it was in another book? And I can't stress enough I'm just sharing information I've read and not trying to stir any more trouble up but since this topic is out there I thought I'd mention it. I wasn't there so I can only read what others say about it. As a fan I'd think that MOTOWN 25 would have been an emotional and stressful night for all involved and that includes Diana - she'd only recently parted ways with the company and the man who'd guided her career and much of her life for twenty years so I have no doubt she was on edge and feeling even more emotional than usual. And that's not an excuse, just an observation...

atcsm Guest
    So are you saying you don't stand by your comments on Youtube as DetroitLives313? I would think you'd be proud to spread those comments everywhere!

I am personally friends with a fan who attended the Motown 25 taping that night. She has photos with various Motown stars from the after-party, so I know she's telling the truth. I asked her what she saw between Diana and Mary and she said she remembers Diana pushing down Mary's microphone during one moment, but she said she saw no dramatic shove or push that people have described. However, something DID happen...just maybe not to the degree that everyone is thinking. With that said, there was still no reason for Diana to put her hands on Mary, regardless of whether Diana was provoked.

These days, I try to avoid participating in these types of discussions...but I felt I should provide an account from someone who was there in the audience.

atcsm Guest
    Carl - you are a sweetheart, but............
    friend of a friend who was there...........
    Last edited by atcsm; 03-13-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Michael/Cleoharvey [[cleoharvey)
    3-Pundit
    Username: cleoharvey

Post Number: 34
    Posted From: 4.172.87.194
    Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 11:44 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was at the Motown 25 [[I was doing a show in LA at the time) and saw the famous shoving incident. Although Suzanne DePasse explains the incident as a "misunderstanding" between Mary Wilson and Diana Ross about sequence, it did not look that way from the audience. I can still remember the look on Mary Wilson's face when the incident happened. There were other odd happenings involving Diana at Motown 25 that nobody seems to remember or talk about. She wandered on stage during Adam Ant's rendition of Where Did Our Love Go which was clearly not scheduled. Adam Ant was surprised and was upstaged. She also came into the audience and asked Miss T [[Ashford & Simpson's assistant) whether she had a comb!! I was sitting nearby and this seemed very odd. She also seemed to be having a problem remembering lyrics during her and The Supremes segments. Not to bash Diana [[Lord knows that has been done enough) but there was a lot more going on during that Motown 25 than the shove. With recent news of the past few years regarding Diana's "addiction" problems, we may have the answer to the behavior.

Michael/Cleoharvey [[cleoharvey)
    3-Pundit
    Username: cleoharvey

Post Number: 35
    Posted From: 4.172.87.145
    Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:12 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Suzanne DePasse has said there was a certain order that the show was supposed to follow and that Mary misunderstood what that order was supposed to be and attempted to introduce Berry Gordy from the audience. Diana was only putting her hand on Mary to stop her from going out of of the planned order. To those of us in the audience it did not seem that way at all [[and if you watch the show this explanation seems odd). It appeared as though Diana was faltering on the lyrics and Mary was attempting to help her and lead the song [["Someday" as I remember). That was when the shove happened and there were gasps all over the auditorium. Diana may have been bothered because Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong played a trick at Motown 25 that they used to play when they were in Diana Ross & The Supremes. Towards the end, Diana did not always rehearse with Mary & Cindy. When they would do a sound check they would sing very quietly, which caused the sound people [[of whatever venue they were playing) to think that Mary & Cindy had no vocal power and then the sound men woud turn their level up. So, when Diana, Mary, and Cindy would finally get together they would come booming out of the mix which made Diana crazy [[she had always complained or threw tantrums about how loud Mary, Cindy, or Florence were). At Motown 25 Mary was as loud as Diana and when she attempted to "help" she was shoved. This is the way it appeared to most of the people sitting there... the ultimate insult to the "sexy" one.

Afterwards, Dionne Warwick was overheard saying to Mary Wilson, "You should have knocked her ass in the pit!!" No matter what Diana was trying to do the appearance of it was very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I am personally friends with a fan who attended the Motown 25 taping that night. She has photos with various Motown stars from the after-party, so I know she's telling the truth. I asked her what she saw between Diana and Mary and she said she remembers Diana pushing down Mary's microphone during one moment, but she said she saw no dramatic shove or push that people have described. However, something DID happen...just maybe not to the degree that everyone is thinking. With that said, there was still no reason for Diana to put her hands on Mary, regardless of whether Diana was provoked.

These days, I try to avoid participating in these types of discussions...but I felt I should provide an account from someone who was there in the audience.
    Carlo... my best friend was also there, and his account is the same. It wasn't the type of shove you'd see when someone is getting ready to fight, it was a FIRM pull down of the arm.

That's about exactly what those of us that have been around for a long time and read the myriad of accounts have heard and believe.