[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

PBS Calls for a Supreme Re-Union

Fans on the message boards have been calling for some kind of Supreme re-union for decades. One suggestion was to do a re-union concert on PBS as a fundraiser. Tonight, during the break of Diana at Central Park, the two hosts were asking for pledges and then one of the hosts looked into the camera and made a direct appeal to Diana Ross

"Diana, if you are watching, we really want you to get together with The Supremes and do a tour. All of you. And while you are looking great on television, you were looking phenomenal, and you are an extraordinary talent, but share the stage and come back to us. You'll make a lot of your fans very very happy." And then her co-host says " We'd love to have her here , wouldn't we?"

A few minutes later, the host again looked into the camera and said:

" We found Diana Ross. Diana, I'm talking to you. okay, just me and you. We would love to have you come and share your memories of this 1983 evening. ...."

good luck with that....lol..I enjoyed watching this on PBS in NY, it's on again tonight at midnight..

Being shown again at midnight in NYC area.

can't help but to love her...she's really just a big kid, isn't she...tantrums and all.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Fans on the message boards have been calling for some kind of Supreme re-union for decades. One suggestion was to do a re-union concert on PBS as a fundraiser. Tonight, during the break of Diana at Central Park, the two hosts were asking for pledges and then one of the hosts looked into the camera and made a direct appeal to Diana Ross

"Diana, if you are watching, we really want you to get together with The Supremes and do a tour. All of you. And while you are looking great on television, you were looking phenomenal, and you are an extraordinary talent, but share the stage and come back to us. You'll make a lot of your fans very very happy." And then her co-host says " We'd love to have her here , wouldn't we?"

A few minutes later, the host again looked into the camera and said:

" We found Diana Ross. Diana, I'm talking to you. okay, just me and you. We would love to have you come and share your memories of this 1983 evening. ...."
    Dream on baby. Ain't gonna happen. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Dream on baby. Ain't gonna happen. LOL
    Agreed, based on past hostilities, notably between Diane and Mary, based on Diane’s inability to accept someone else having some spotlight, other than herself...
    [[Sorry people, if this may come off as a snide remark against Diane, may she remain eternally fabulous on her own right, whether with them or solo, but I'm still pretty jaded since been reading the "truth" in Mary Wilson's book).
    Last edited by Ngroove; 03-11-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Oh to hell with them. Put these bitches aside, and give some love to women more deserving, and who are still together, the Flirtations. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick and tired of begging women who make 50 times more than I do, for crumbs. If they don't care about the people who made them rich... not enough to suck it up to even pose for a picture together, then whoever it is that is causing the roadblock can kiss my ass. and I'll take my money elsewhere. Such as the fact that I did NOT buy the "More Hits" or "Diana 76" CD's, but I spent my money on the Apollas CD instead. And I'm getting much more enjoyment out of it.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 03-11-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    but I'm still pretty jaded since been reading the "truth" in Mary Wilson's book).
    And you know why you used quotation marks for the word truth! :-)

hey Jill,
    Im with you. I will continue to buy Supremes music which I already have most of it but we should show some love for the girl groups who get along and who do cherish their fans who are not as well known.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    ... but I spent my money on the Apollas CD instead. And I'm getting much more enjoyment out of it.
    I bought that Apollas' CD as well and it was worth every penny.

The inability to share the spotlight and a total disrespect of the fans are the prominient reasons. You all make very good points.

Oh to hell with them. Put these bitches aside, and give some love to women more deserving, and who are still together, the Flirtations. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick and tired of begging women who make 50 times more than I do, for crumbs. If they don't care about the people who made them rich... not enough to suck it up to even pose for a picture together, then whoever it is that is causing the roadblock can kiss my ass. and I'll take my money elsewhere. Such as the fact that I did NOT buy the "More Hits" or "Diana 76" CD's, but I spent my money on the Apollas CD instead. And I'm getting much more enjoyment out of it.
    Excellent points Jill !

Quote Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
    And you know why you used quotation marks for the word truth! :-)
    Well, it's been 25 years now since the release of "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" and I am still waiting on a lawsuit for lying..........

A resounding AMEN to that!

I admire Mary Wilson or "Mare", she's had an incredible life as a Supreme singing with/behind Diana Ross & Jean Terrell and her struggles to start a solo career were poignant as well. I've always felt she should have left Motown in the 70's to have any type of a real solo career. No way was Berry Gordy going to have her become a star like Stevie,Smokey,Marvin,Michael,Rick or let alone Diana! Gladys Knight,Martha Reeves,Jean Terrell and Mary Wells had the smarts or courage to try,fail or succeed...for better or worse. Also I felt her book was lacking in the whole "truth" When Mary Wilson had major financial problems monthly bills,morgage and taxes Diana Ross gave her the money to get her life together after her divorce from Pedro Ferrar. Why? Maybe ghosts of Florence Ballard or Paul Williams,to avoid bad publicity or perhaps a shock to all of us to help out another girl also from the Brewster projects who sang on all those unforgettable hit records like..."baby baby where did our love go?"

I'm sorry that omission always bothered me. If you're gonna tell the truth,tell the whole truth as my late father always told me or keep your d*** mouth shut. Sorry my dad was old school. I didn't have time-outs like my two sons have. Perhaps to paraphrase Jack Nicholson "We can't handle the truth". I love Motown but some of the "truths" I'm learning like Flo & Mary didn't sing on this song and that song shocked me but Motown was a business. Business is always about money even non-profits. It's the music that counts but all these behind the music facts take away from the music sometimes. I'm through. Time to play Wii with my boys. Peace out.

Im pleased PBS was direct about it. It's a satement of reality to Miss Ross. It's not about Cindy and Mary, they have been willing.

Yall [[lol)
    need to let this go !!!
    a word from Mary...................."Leave Diana and Me alone "
    and a word from the "WISE"..........."It Is Not Gonna Happen"
    the end

And if there was a reunion.....can you imagine the holocaust that would ensure on here! Diana tried to hog the spotlight....no, Mary did....oh Lord, I could see it now!

I am sure that Diana, Mary and Cindy know by now that "we" and I mean the royal "we" have made this a bitter piece of history and unfortunately some of us think we are SUPREMES or think we were there. I can even imagine the rumors about another book, movie and interviews. No No No No Let it go !!!

How about a post for Reunions we do not want to see.

1. Diana Ross and The Supremes

LadySingsBlues Guest
    Diana is the star and is the one that sang on the leads. So if she has the spotlight then it is rightly so. That's what Supremes fans don't get. Maybe Mary herself too.

Quote Originally Posted by LadySingsBlues View Post
    Diana is the star and is the one that sang on the leads. So if she has the spotlight then it is rightly so. That's what Supremes fans don't get. Maybe Mary herself too.
    All the Supremes needs to be called Supremes really, is Mary Wilson.

Even though Diana shall eternally have her spot in Popular music history for her great contributions to Motown, soul music, and women in music in general, Mary and Flo had voices too. Especially during the years after Diana's departure, in my opinion, the Supremes never sounded more beautifully; than when the songs were given to Jean, Mary, Scherrie, and Susaye.

Diana Ross is the ultimate figure associated with MOTOWN,even more so than MICHAEL JACKSON, who would not have become who he was[[for better and worse)without the early influence/inspiration of Diana Ross, whom I believe Michael wanted to be[[just like many folks who post here....lol)
    Ross transcends her Supremes days, and when she tries to 'reflect' on them, it always turns ugly, so...there ya go..

LadySingsBlues Guest
    When people complain about Diana hogging the spotlight, what do you mean? What is expected if the Supremes ever re-unite? Should Mary and Cindy receive shared solo spots on the Supremes hits now? I just don't understand how the star is NOT going to be the star.

Don't know maybe because there are some peeps who want to see a Diana Ross and Supremes reunion with Mary or Cindy singing lead on Baby Love, You Keep Me Hanging On, Come See About Me instead of Diana.

You CAN'T be serious!

LadySingsBlues Guest

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Yall [[lol)
    need to let this go !!!
    a word from Mary...................."Leave Diana and Me alone "
    and a word from the "WISE"..........."It Is Not Gonna Happen"
    the end
    The resounding response now is .......WHO CARES?

Quote Originally Posted by motown4ever View Post
    I admire Mary Wilson or "Mare", she's had an incredible life as a Supreme singing with/behind Diana Ross & Jean Terrell and her struggles to start a solo career were poignant as well. I've always felt she should have left Motown in the 70's to have any type of a real solo career. No way was Berry Gordy going to have her become a star like Stevie,Smokey,Marvin,Michael,Rick or let alone Diana! Gladys Knight,Martha Reeves,Jean Terrell and Mary Wells had the smarts or courage to try,fail or succeed...for better or worse. Also I felt her book was lacking in the whole "truth" When Mary Wilson had major financial problems monthly bills,morgage and taxes Diana Ross gave her the money to get her life together after her divorce from Pedro Ferrar. Why? Maybe ghosts of Florence Ballard or Paul Williams,to avoid bad publicity or perhaps a shock to all of us to help out another girl also from the Brewster projects who sang on all those unforgettable hit records like..."baby baby where did our love go?"

I'm sorry that omission always bothered me. If you're gonna tell the truth,tell the whole truth as my late father always told me or keep your d*** mouth shut. Sorry my dad was old school. I didn't have time-outs like my two sons have. Perhaps to paraphrase Jack Nicholson "We can't handle the truth". I love Motown but some of the "truths" I'm learning like Flo & Mary didn't sing on this song and that song shocked me but Motown was a business. Business is always about money even non-profits. It's the music that counts but all these behind the music facts take away from the music sometimes. I'm through. Time to play Wii with my boys. Peace out.
    One more time because you are probably one of the very few that don't know. Diana Ross did not GIVE Mary Wilson any money. She loaned Mary $ 30,000 in 1981. Mary repaid the loan WITH INTEREST within a year. Now, go on and add to the story of the benevolent Miss Ross.

I am sure that Diana, Mary and Cindy know by now that "we" and I mean the royal "we" have made this a bitter piece of history and unfortunately some of us think we are SUPREMES or think we were there. I can even imagine the rumors about another book, movie and interviews. No No No No Let it go !!!
    Didn't you read the above responses? WE are not interested anymore. I personally do not care to see Diana Ross no matter who she is with. I do not buy her music either. Soooooo..........

How about a post for Reunions we do not want to see.

1. Diana Ross and The Supremes
    We don't need a post about that, a Diana Ross and the Supremes Reunion. We proved we did not want to see that and it was flat out cancelled back in 2000. LOL!!!!

She WAS the lead singer like 45 years ago. She cannot sing like that now, so it doesn't matter anyway.

bottom line; Wilson would have lost her house, Miss Ross saw to it that she didn't;
    Wilson repaid the favor with a book full of bitter,"I could have been a contender!" sour grapes memories;
    and when the book was a national Top Ten Best Seller, Wilson STILL couldn't get a record deal...lol..

Go back to jail! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    You CAN'T be serious!

NO Robbert I was kidding
    Heaven Forbid that should happen !!!

OMG I love it

What I find so odd is how so many people who bad mouth Diana or who write books that tries to discredit her want to reunite with her or start a reunion. Go Figure !!!

They were all the stars and Diana was the lead singer and as Mary has said a great job Diana did. lol blueskies but I think if they did do a show now, theyd have it carefully worked out beforehand. Diana sent her love to Mary at BET and Mary recently the same on Diana's grammy achievement. You never know! It's never too late for healing...Reach out and touch...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    bottom line; Wilson would have lost her house, Miss Ross saw to it that she didn't;
    Wilson repaid the favor with a book full of bitter,"I could have been a contender!" sour grapes memories;
    and when the book was a national Top Ten Best Seller, Wilson STILL couldn't get a record deal...lol..
    Yada, yada, yada, spin, spin, spin! It was a loan. You forget Diane had just signed that $20 Million deal with RCA. Heck, I would have hit her up for a loan my damned self and you know how I feel about "Miss Ross" LOL! Anyway, Mary, Florence, Cindy and Berry all had something to do with Ross' success........

Because they were so great a group, this will never die. But it's gotta be a long shot.

Would Mary really like to do a show with Diana where she was the background singer again doing a song?

As I've said many times, Diana's family will stand in the way if she ever was so inclined; but all she's said in 12 years is "I've tried that"................

But as someone above said, Diana is THE Motown Connection, she's the survivor [[for some reason even more than Stevie; why is no one interested in Stevie anymore? or Smokey?). So we can hope even for a one off............maybe in Central Park!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Because they were so great a group, this will never die. But it's gotta be a long shot.

Would Mary really like to do a show with Diana where she was the background singer again doing a song?

As I've said many times, Diana's family will stand in the way if she ever was so inclined; but all she's said in 12 years is "I've tried that"................

But as someone above said, Diana is THE Motown Connection, she's the survivor [[for some reason even more than Stevie; why is no one interested in Stevie anymore? or Smokey?). So we can hope even for a one off............maybe in Central Park!
    When was Diana's last hit / great album? Well, new release-wise, I've atleast loved "Blue", truly treats to the ears, but they still were mostly unearthed from the vault early 70s "Lady Sings the Blues" time recordings...

Stevie Wonder...He's still capable of the occassional new album, even award-winning, top ten-selling, pretty acclaimed ones...remember a Time 2 Love, the one with “From the Bottom of My Heart”, and the Prince-backed “So What’s the Fuss”, was only several years ago, not that long ago…
    Last edited by Ngroove; 03-12-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Bump...accidental double…

supremester Guest
    Mary's book is trash she wrote it out of desperate need for cash and attention during her drug abuse years. Gil Askey walked out on his interview with Mary when he realized what she was trying to get him to say. Diana had no problem sharing the spotlight - Berry didn't want Mary singing lead - ever. Not in the 70's either. After Mary's antics at Motown 25 which got her banned from future celebrations, her lies about RTL and her shoddy treatment of Cindy at Motown 50, I doubt very much if Miss Ross or Miss Birdsong want to work with her. Mary has a lot of apologizing to do.

supremester Guest
    What makes you think they don't care about their fans. i think both Mary and Diana care, but it goes way deeper than that. Mary has been a troublemaker for years - EVERY living Supreme since 1962 has had major issues with her. There's a reason for that. You can see Mary or Diana perform all over the world - who needs them together? They are in their late 60's, how selfish of you to ask them to go to the trouble, time and expense to put a show together and learn all the songs and routines. Cindy is in her 70's and moving slowly. Get over yourself and think about someone else for a change. It's too much work for too little payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Mary's book is trash she wrote it out of desperate need for cash and attention during her drug abuse years. GilAskey walked out on his interview with Mary when he realized what she wastrying to get him to say. Diana had no problem sharing the spotlight - Berry didn't want Mary singing lead - ever. Not in the 70's either. After Mary'santics at Motown 25 which got her banned from future celebrations, her liesabout RTL and her shoddy treatment of Cindy at Motown 50, I doubt very much ifMiss Ross or Miss Birdsong want to work with her. Mary has a lot of apologizingto do.

Florence Ballard's voice-recorded interview backed up Diana's treatment of her, as watched by probably all Supremes / Motown fans on Flo's UNSUNG episode, and Mary Wilson - I've heard, from many, many, many published resources, that Diana PUSHED her from her mike, on that Motown 25 special, prompting the rest to prematurely end it in the middle of "Someday, We'll Be Together", before it got worse.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 03-12-2012 at 02:24 AM.

LadySingsBlues Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

I wouldn't say that anyone is not interested in Stevie or Smokey anymore. Especially Stevie. Out of the 3, he certainly keeps himself the most visible in the media by far. Sometimes it seems like there's not an event that he's not scheduled to sing at whether it's for President Obama or somebody's tribute. Personally I wish Diana was more out there but I digress.

supremester Guest
    If your enjoyment of More Hits or The Black Album depends on a posed picture, you shouldn't buy them. See a shrink! Both sets, if you are a fan of the music, are loving expanded tributes. The Black Album is getting raves. It's sensational - and their best restoration project yet. I'm glad you are digging The Apollas CD - keep spinning it!

LadySingsBlues Guest
    For a Supremes reunion to take place, the ladies would need to sit down & have a heart-to-heart conversation FIRST. There's probably a lot of things they need to discuss & get off their chest in order to move forward. Possibly dating back to issues from the 60s to Mary's book to why the RTL tour couldn't work the way the fans wanted it. That needs to happen above anything. Not just for the sake of a potential reunion concert but just for themselves while they are still here. Just bury the hatchet. They've both had warm acknowledgements of each other in recent years...so why not just get together & TALK.

I think the hatchet was buried years ago; this is why Mary congratulated Diana online recently on the Grammy and why she published her online letter asking the fans to leave her and Diana out of the petty talk.

But the fans cant let go ~ they'd love a Beach Boys style reunion. And yes, it probably is a NO, which is why it's wanted even more.

Stevie and Smokey do show up everywhere, at every funeral and they comment all the time. And yes, Diana, Stevie and Smokey do put out the odd new release ~ but they'll always be remembered for their heydays. And yes, Stevie today might sell the best of the three ~ but none of them are Taylor Swift, Lil Wayne or Adele.

But why is it that there is STILL so much attention paid to Diana? Why are there thousands of pictures of the Grammy? Why is she the one they all still talk about?

supremester Guest
    There's a lot more omissions and falsehoods than that. The book is full of them. It begins with Motown 25 but leaves out the fact that DR&TS were to be wearing black, white and or silver. Mary, just before her entrance and a nose full of cocaine, changed into a red sequined, showy [[but ill fitting) stage gown pissing off both her group mates and the powers that be at Motown Productions. Then she barged in on Diana's lead and began singing lead - later claiming she thought Diana had lost her place.
    Quote Originally Posted by motown4ever View Post