[REMOVE ADS]

Roland Bautista of EWF Has Passed

He died the the same day as Davey Jones on 2/29. Just found this out yesterday.

Search

Email:

> View our privacy policy

What's New

March 10, 2012Music Reviews

News & Opinions

SoulTracks Guides

- News & Reviews Feed

Former Earth Wind & Fire guitarist Roland Bautista dies

Email

We're a bit late with this news, but our friend Juewett Bostick informed us of the sad death of highly regarded guitarist Roland Bautista. Bautista was a member of the band Earth, Wind & Fire at various times in the 70s and 80s, and in his career also worked with artists such as Tom Waits, The Jackson 5, Ramsey Lewis, Randy Crawford and George Duke.
    Bautista played on the 1973 Earth, Wind & Fire albumLast Days and Time and left the band soon after that album's release. Subsequently he released two solo albums on ABC Records, 1977's Bautistaand The Heat Of The Wind which was released in 1978. He also worked as a guitar player for the Ronnie Laws Band, The Crusaders, Jackson 5, Lamont Dozier, Ramsey Lewis, Randy Crawford, George Duke, Wayne Henderson and Hubert Laws.
    Bautista returned to EWF in 1981 replacing fellow rhythm guitarist Al McKay and performed on 1981's Raise!, 1982's Powerlight and 1983's Electric Universe. He left the band in 1983 when the group went on a temporary hiatus.
    Here's a note we received from Roland's friend and noted musician and producer, Welton Gite:
    Hello Chris. I was shocked to hear that Roland had passed. I have been trying to find him for over 9 years, and no one knew where he was. The last place I heard that Roland lived was Las Vegas. I asked all my Vegas friends had they seen him, but no one had.
    I first met Roland, at a rehearsal, for a Willie Bobo album I was doing. Back then, you actually rehearsed for recordings. After the rehearsal, Roland asked If I'd be interested in doing a gig with his band. I was 19, new to town, and eager to play with as many people
    as i could, and this guy was incredible on guitar. I didn't know that he was the guitar player on those EWF records I listened to growing up. WOW!!! I worked with Roland on so many different gigs and records. Roland actually got me the gig with Ronnie Laws and Hubert
    Laws, and called me for all sorts of recording sessions.
    I was trying to find Roland to tell him Thank You for being a friend and all his help in my career. He was such a great spirit, and always had a smile on his face. Enjoying life. He has been and will continue to be missed.. :-[[
    Here’s a picture of me, Roland and Jerry Salas, doing a gig at USC, in 1977. Jerry's on the left, I'm in the middle, and Roland is on the right. The drummer, to the left of Jerry, was Roland Brunner Sr. We were both in our early 20's. Good times...

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Roland Bautista
    Posted March 7th, 2012 by administrator

CD of the Month

Sy Smith
    Fast and Curious
    AUTOGRAPHED!
    Choice Track

Free Download!
    "Paradise"
    Conya Doss

SoulTracks ® is a registered trademark of SoulTracks, LLC
    All content © 2003-2012 by Christopher Rizik and SoulTracks, LLC

Read more: Former Earth Wind & Fire guitarist Roland Bautista dies | SoulTracks - Soul Music Biographies, News and Reviews

Total condolences to his family. Talented guitarist.

Man, that's awful news. Roland was a magnificent guitarist. Check out his work here on Brazos River Breakdown with The Crusaders back in '81. Roland's playing is in the right speaker.

Absolutely KILLER rhythm player. Rest in Peace Mr. Bautista, thanks for the music.

Is it just me or does anyone else remember Maurice White shouting out Roland on That's The Way Of The World which was long after he'd left the group? Anyway, I loved his playing and always wished he and Ronnie Laws had stayed if not
    in the group, closely associated with them. Felt the same about Doug and Jean Carn, too but alas Life doesn't suscribe
    to our wishes ever, does it?...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else remember Maurice White shouting out Roland on That's The Way Of The World which was long after he'd left the group?
    Had to re-listen to hear what you were talking about. I always thought it was "brother don't you hear me now". But you might be right, it does sound like he's saying Roland. Could he be talking about the Roland Instrument company?
    According to metrolyrics it's "darling don't you hear me now" It's not allowing me to copy & paste so here's the link> http://www.metrolyrics.com/thats-the...wind-fire.html
    Anyway, I loved his playing and always wished he and Ronnie Laws had stayed if not
    in the group, closely associated with them. Felt the same about Doug and Jean Carn, too but alas Life doesn't suscribe
    to our wishes ever, does it?...
    Roland did come back in 81. Guess his solo stuff didn't do to well. I just found out about those.
    If Ronnie Laws did stay with EWF, he wouldn't have made those great solo albums. So that was a nice separation, imo
    Never heard Doug Carn before. Just went to youtube to check. Cool jazzy music, but I think I prefer Jean as a soloist. And why did she
    add an e to last name?

Back to Roland. His 60th bday uploaded by his niece