[REMOVE ADS]

Can We Talk About...... Little Willie John?

This man was not only a great, great singer, but he influenced so many artists that came out of Detroit that to me he epitomizes what "Soulful Detroit" is all about! From Levi Stubbs to Madonna!
    True, he's been gone a long time now, but I was listening to some of his recordings over this past Christmas Holiday and it just amazed me of just how good this guy was! Few here may not even know that he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So, can we talk about "Little" Willie John?

Little Willie John [[1937-1968)

My all time favorite by Little Willie John was the classic, "Fever". He recorded the original version in 1956. Peggy Lee covered it a few years later and they changed part of the lyrics for some reason. Still Little Willies version can't be beat in my opinion:

His son, Keith, sang two of my favorite songs, which both happened to be from soundtracks of Spike Lee films. "I Can Only Be Me" [[School Daze) and "Can't We Try" from "Do the Right Thing" were beautiful songs. I wonder why he didn't make it as a solo artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    His son, Keith, sang two of my favorite songs, which both happened to be from soundtracks of Spike Lee films. "I Can Only Be Me" [[School Daze) and "Can't We Try" from "Do the Right Thing" were beautiful songs. I wonder why he didn't make it as a solo artist.
    That was a great song, "I Can Only Be Me". It is a mystery why Keith did not strike out on his own in a big way. He has the musical heritage and talent to make it. Mable John is his aunt by the way.

"I Can Only Be Me" was composed [[and produced?) by Stevie Wonder. I always thought that Keith sang it as close to how Stevie would have as would be humanly possible.

My dad told me about Little Willie John years ago and always shook his head at the lost opportunity for greatness. Like Johnny Ace, he was on the cusp but couldn't escape who he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    "I Can Only Be Me" was composed [[and produced?) by Stevie Wonder. I always thought that Keith sang it as close to how Stevie would have as would be humanly possible.

My dad told me about Little Willie John years ago and always shook his head at the lost opportunity for greatness. Like Johnny Ace, he was on the cusp but couldn't escape who he was.

Interesting. My mother told me about Johnny Ace and his life tragically ended. The story of Little Willie John is so compelling, I am surprised that a major film has never been developed on his life story. It would be a serious drama no doubt. His was my father's music that I picked up on just from hearing it as a kid. Now, I really enjoy it separately, on my own. Little Willie John had this really street sound to his voice. A whiskey voice. Soulful but melodic. I am frustrated that there is not much of him performing on film.

honest man Guest
    Hello, yes love this man i have his anthologies although like his songs from early 60s more ,2 songs i really like are AUTUMN LEAVES, A COTTAGE FOR SALE,Iknow these are standards but love his take on them,what a tragic life,love his songs, good call Marv,cheers.

I thought Mable was his SISTER? Anyhow, this guy can do no wrong by me...love "Sleep" and "Talk to Me", and of course, "Fever"...he deserves a LOT more respect and attention than he gets!!!

Best,

Mark

The above poster was referring to Willie's son when saying that Mabel was his aunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

One of the greats,i think that he and james brown were good friends one of his greatest albums is his tribute[little willie john and afew nice things].

Quote Originally Posted by mark speck View Post
    I thought Mable was his SISTER? Anyhow, this guy can do no wrong by me...love "Sleep" and "Talk to Me", and of course, "Fever"...he deserves a LOT more respect and attention than he gets!!!

Best,

Mark
    Mark, Mable John was Little Willie Johns' sister and Keith John's aunt. I loved "All Around the World". Other versions that followed were good, but Little Willie's was the best!

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    One of the greats,i think that he and james brown were good friends one of his greatest albums is his tribute[little willie john and afew nice things].
    That is true. They were very good friends. James even called Little Willie John the greatest Soul Singer ever or something to that effect. He was Soul before it had a name.