[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Back to Scherrie, Mary and Susaye.....
    Be nice if a MSS reunion were to happen. We'll just have to wait and see.

I agree jonc. I think all things are possible.

To dream.....the impossible dream.....

back to MSS,yes,i would love to see them since i was unable to see them live at the time.it would be nice to see 3 well seasoned entertainers come back and perform together. and since the cd is coming out ,i think ,in october, why not bring cindy on board.
    i still think the MSS lp was a kick --- lp.great vocals all the way around and one of their best.

I agree Davidh. If this reunion came to pass, I wonder how difficult it would be to get them to perform some of the album cuts like "Sweet Dream Machine" etc.

smark21 Guest
    Some of you die hard fans should get some perspective. You may have been listening to these High Energy/MSS tracks a lot over the years, in fact they're a part of your life. I suspect for Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene, by and large they haven't given much thought to most of these songs since they recorded them, especially stuff like Dont' Want to be Tied Down, Til the Boat Sails Away and Come into My Life. If by some long shot they were to reunite for a performance, would they want to invest the time and energy to relearn and rehearse most of this material?

smark21, you are very smart! As as I would love to go back to 1976-77 and hear The Supremes sing some of these songs, like you, I highly doubt they would. They never sang many of those songs live, then. More than likely they would do a reprise of their show like the Farewell show they were doing when it all ended.

Here is a rare gem, "Come Into My Life" from their January 1, 1977 Soul Train appearance:

Yes but the Grammys won't honour the Supremes without Diana being on Board and present. It's been an issue for quite a few years now. Well you know..........they might...................but it will be one of those announcements: "In Grammys already presented, the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Diana Ross & the Supremes" and they show some frozen picture of hopefully Mary or Lynda [[as opposed to Karen) holding some kind of trophy. And it's over in 3 seconds.

So, who knows...............it could happen. Never say never.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Some of you die hard fans should get some perspective. You may have been listening to these High Energy/MSS tracks a lot over the years, in fact they're a part of your life. I suspect for Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene, by and large they haven't given much thought to most of these songs since they recorded them, especially stuff like Dont' Want to be Tied Down, Til the Boat Sails Away and Come into My Life. If by some long shot they were to reunite for a performance, would they want to invest the time and energy to relearn and rehearse most of this material?
    WEr'e talking about Supremes here... most everyone who ever was in the group was more glamour than substance [[Music wise). having said that... Susaye would be the most likely to remember those songs, since the woman is a true musician. Scherrie doens't even remmeber RECORDING half of it, and Mary probably doesn't know the words anymore. It does kind of dissapoint when an artist cares more about the fame aspect than the music aspect [[Susaye being an exception) I can tell you this, Martha can sing acapella damn near every song she's ever recorded. Because those songs mean something to her. I do remember someone say that Cindy hearing songs at the 70's anthology signing said she remembered her vocal parts on those songs. I bet she does!!
    Last edited by jillfoster; 09-08-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yes but the Grammys won't honour the Supremes without Diana being on Board and present. It's been an issue for quite a few years now. Well you know..........they might...................but it will be one of those announcements: "In Grammys already presented, the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Diana Ross & the Supremes" and they show some frozen picture of hopefully Mary or Lynda [[as opposed to Karen) holding some kind of trophy. And it's over in 3 seconds.

So, who knows...............it could happen. Never say never.
    You are right about one thing. The Grammys haven't honored the Supremes BECAUSE of Diana. Nope, you'll never see a frozen picture of Lynda accepting A Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award for the Supremes not even if they all have passed on. The children would do the acceptance.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-08-2010 at 11:23 PM.

..it would have been different if Diana had signed with Clive Davis..back in 81...she could have got some of those early tracks Whitney ended up with..Clive liked his artists to get Grammys..

Berry has as much to do with Mary as I have to do with the crazy minister who wants to burn the Qur'an. Straight out nothing. What Berry has done to Mary is tie up the use of all Motown music so she was never able to use it in movies, tv shows or anywhere else.

Mary lives a life and probably is a lot less concerned about any of this balderdash than a couple of her fans.

Ive never understood the beef..between BG and Mary..what did she do to piss him off for eternity? Marv said theyve made up but Ive never heard that..they havent to my knowledge,been seen together in public ever..I mean lots of people have sued Berry - not just Mary..its a piece of the motown puzzle I dont understand..Its weird..we certainly dont know the whole story of why...

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Ive never understood the beef..between BG and Mary..what did she do to piss him off for eternity? Marv said theyve made up but Ive never heard that..they havent to my knowledge,been seen together in public ever..I mean lots of people have sued Berry - not just Mary..its a piece of the motown puzzle I dont understand..Its weird..we certainly dont know the whole story of why...
    Nomis, I can't get into all of it right now [[ I have to get ready for my big Birthday Weekend....Yeah! LOL!) But yes Berry and Mary are close friends and have been for many years. As far as being seen in public together, they have been many times. Go to the thread "My Motown Pics" to see a most recent pic of them together from earlier this year in fact. They speak often [[he calls her!). There is tons of proof of this. So anything else you hear is just wanton hearsay, gossip,etc.

..Thanks Marv was waiting for you to read that..have a great celebration look forward to your insight...

Here is another pretty recent one of Mary and Berry [[with Freda Payne). I have some of Berry and Mary kissing and making out too [[ I am just KIDDING! So don't go starting any rumors, hehehehehehehe!) Thanks.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Berry has as much to do with Mary as I have to do with the crazy minister who wants to burn the Qur'an. Straight out nothing. What Berry has done to Mary is tie up the use of all Motown music so she was never able to use it in movies, tv shows or anywhere else.
    Marv2 thinks photos of Berry and Mary make them best friends. It's called PR. I'm sure they like each other but I doubt Mary has had dinner with just Berry in 30 years. I guess a few photos at an event is Marv2's idea of bosom buddies.

Perhaps Mary accompanied Berry to the taping of Marv2's "hush hush" Motown 50th Anniversary Network TV Special.

They may not be best friends, but I believe that whatever happened in the past is forgiven and forgotten between Mary and Berry. I refuse to believe that Mary and Berry appear to be friends in photos just for PR. The smiles and hugs are too genuine to be phony. I honestly believe they are friends.

During my internship at the Rock Hall, my boss told me how he went out to Mary's house to go through the gowns before they went on display at the Rock Hall and then on tour. This was shortly after Mary's health scare. He said when he walked into her house there was a huge bouquet of red roses. He said Mary proudly said "Those are from Berry Gordy!"

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    They may not be best friends, but I believe that whatever happened in the past is forgiven and forgotten between Mary and Berry. I refuse to believe that Mary and Berry appear to be friends in photos just for PR. The smiles and hugs are too genuine to be phony. I honestly believe they are friends.

During my internship at the Rock Hall, my boss told me how he went out to Mary's house to go through the gowns before they went on display at the Rock Hall and then on tour. This was shortly after Mary's health scare. He said when he walked into her house there was a huge bouquet of red roses. He said Mary proudly said "Those are from Berry Gordy!"
    Like I said I'm sure they really like each other hence the flowers but I highly doubt they are great friends who see each other socially outside of awards and events. You can like someone, be happy to see them and wish them well without being
    bosom buddies. In Show business friends go years without seeing each other and then bump into each other at awards shows where they hug, kiss, have a drink and pose for photos. PR is a big part of the business.

Here is another recent one of Mary being forced at gunpoint to kiss Berry! [[If you would like to see more, you're gonna have to pay me, hehehehehehe!) The moral of the story is that Berry Gordy and Mary Wilson have known each other for over 50 years and remain close friends today. Anyone saying different, simply do not know what they are talking about.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is another recent one of Mary being forced at gunpoint to kiss Berry! [[If you would like to see more, you're gonna have to pay me, hehehehehehe!) The moral of the story is that Berry Gordy and Mary Wilson have known each other for over 50 years and remain close friends today. Anyone saying different, simply do not know what they are talking about.
    Mother Motown has spoken.

Hmmm a Scherrie, Mary and Susaye concert or reunion? Well, that would be different or perhaps something will come about from the patiently waiting "The Final Years" collection. They could advertise it as the Final Supremes reunion show or something.

I don’t see a lot of money in this because they can probably draw the same money as a solo performer.

MissLish Guest
    That's odd, Marv2; since I was told by a Grammy employee that the Grammy's have twice tried to give Miss Ross a Lifetime Achievement Award, but she declined or was [[or made herself) unavailable and unattainable.

MissLish Guest
    Yes we do, Nomis; well, Marv2 does.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    That's odd, Marv2; since I was told by a Grammy employee that the Grammy's have twice tried to give Miss Ross a Lifetime Achievement Award, but she declined or was [[or made herself) unavailable and unattainable.
    I'm sorry Miss Lish but if Marv2 says Miss Ross will never get a Grammy then I have to believe Marv2. Lest we forget Marv2 is very well connected to Miss Mary Wilson, Mr. Gordy and Motown/Universal. Marv2 produced a "hush hush" Motown 50th Anniversary Network TV Special and his extensive Motown photography rivals that of Getty Images.

No offense but neither you nor I have those connections or credentials.

Great to see them together - they achieved so much in terms of racial equality in history to not get on..they might not be bosom buddies but Im glad differences have been cast aside..if anyone can get Mary and Diana to be cordial to one another its BG...

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Great to see them together - they achieved so much in terms of racial equality in history to not get on..they might not be bosom buddies but Im glad differences have been cast aside..if anyone can get Mary and Diana to be cordial to one another its BG...
    Nomis - Exactly! What they achieved [[Mary and Berry and all of Motown) was monumental and the fact that they ARE bosom buddies after all these years, after all the drama and the headaches they remain like family. Berry did step in to negoiate for Mary and Cindy during the "Return to Love" tour in 2000, but it was already too late. In his book "To Be Loved" he states that "Mary knows how much I love and respect her......" At the Supremes Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony [[ I have it on video), he prounounces Mary "The Heart and Soul of the Supremes". So forget anything else you've heard here on this board because there are some folks that love drama and acromony. I just put them on permanent "ignore". They'll have to look beyond Mary Wilson and Berry Gordy for it.

MissLish Guest
    Miss Lish does apologize; Marv2 is super credible. What was I thinking?

i am looking forward to them performing together since i never saw them live anyway. i would enjoy the show. and they can bring our Cindy as well

Well, I am sure Mr. Gordy doesn't hate her but buddies ????????????? naw boo I am not triping on that.

In a more serious vein, I totally agree with what Brad wrote on here; I had forgotten this thread.

Of course these people do not see each other regularly, nor are they bosum buddies. But they know they achieved something together and they are forever tied as a result of it. Motown was a family and the ties always remain.

jonc Guest
    Nomis - Exactly! What they achieved [[Mary and Berry and all of Motown) was monumental and the fact that they ARE bosom buddies after all these years, after all the drama and the headaches they remain like family. Berry did step in to negoiate for Mary and Cindy during the "Return to Love" tour in 2000, but it was already too late. In his book "To Be Loved" he states that "Mary knows how much I love and respect her......" At the Supremes Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony [[ I have it on video), he prounounces Mary "The Heart and Soul of the Supremes". So forget anything else you've heard here on this board because there are some folks that love drama and acromony. I just put them on permanent "ignore". They'll have to look beyond Mary Wilson and Berry Gordy for it.
    LMFAO

You have absolutely zero proof that Berry stepped in during RTL. That's simply another tall tale you've been spinning for years.

jonc your right I just read that,,,,,,, he has no proof what so ever. Also, there are many quotes that Mr. Gordy has made in several books, some are nice and some are not so nice.

As far as I am positioned, I wouldn't mind hearing Scherrie, Mary and Susaye again because vocally they were something else and full of High Energy. However, I am not that keen on seeing them together again.

Honestly, I really don't think ANY Supremes reunion will ever happen. Scherrie is very gracious - we are very good friends, but I honestly don't think any show involving Mary will happen, ESPECIALLY a DR&S show. I'm a very positive person and my motto is 'Never say never' but come on, people! The last we saw of Diana Ross & The Supremes - like it or not - was 2000's Return to Love tour. Thank God we now have YouTube and the wonderful clips [[some in SUPREME quality!) that are there for all the World to see, plus many of the very creative video and audio remixes that have been posted too. One of my favourites is the Solange/Supremes mash-up. Very clever and extremely well done! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96Ag14sUJg Stoned Love, Steve.

Slow news day.....?

I agree Marybrewster,back to Mary,Scherrie and Susaye,i would love to see a reunion,they were the best singing Supremes ever.[[to me)
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    You really are an evil bastard

Will looks like she is going to get the Honor this year !!

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has yet to honor Diana and nor will the Grammys..........

I think under the right circumstances Mary would agree to a one-shot reunion. I'd definitely be there

I'm with you, Rick. One shot--but a tour? I doubt Mary would want to share the money she makes as a solo given the fact that touring with any of the other Supremes [[except DR) wouldn't bring in any appreciable additional money.

You know a couple of years ago a friend of mine [[who would know) said there were indeed plans [[top secret) for a DR, MW and CB reunion--but it was going to be a single show at a renowned venue. I've fallen out of contact with this friend, and never knew the details. Can anyone fill in the gaps?

A MSS reunion would be great but not sure where exactly it would be booked. For the fans it would be great.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    You really are an evil bastard
    I'm curious how my post suggesting that Mary, Scherrie and Susaye may not be as familiar with the songs on High Energy and MSS as die hard fans would lead you to conclude that I'm an evil bastard.

I recall last month we got into a dust up because you asserted your Xmas was ruined because you wouldn't get your Marvelettes box set in time. I called you out and you replied, giving context to your reaction due to your health situation. We managed to resolve our differences and I thought we were OK with each other as this post from you would imply:

paulo

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\CHARCA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image011.png[/IMG]Senior Member
    Aug 2010
    smark21..Have a Lovely Christmas and New Year. No Harm done.I hope. I know I was a bit OTT, but hey ho.im only Human, and going through a few serious issues that I should NOT have mentioned on here. Heat of the moment thing. Lets just enjoy the music? YES??/Paulo xxx

Did you forget? Or were you being sarcastic and insincere?

Despite your immature histrionics, I hope your Marvelettes box set will arrive soon, your health will continue to hold out and that you'll enjoy your box set and find some inner peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I think under the right circumstances Mary would agree to a one-shot reunion. I'd definitely be there
    I would also be there but I doubt there is enough interest for a full blown US tour.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I'm with you, Rick. One shot--but a tour? I doubt Mary would want to share the money she makes as a solo given the fact that touring with any of the other Supremes [[except DR) wouldn't bring in any appreciable additional money.

You know a couple of years ago a friend of mine [[who would know) said there were indeed plans [[top secret) for a DR, MW and CB reunion--but it was going to be a single show at a renowned venue. I've fallen out of contact with this friend, and never knew the details. Can anyone fill in the gaps?
    BobC-

I have heard this as well. I no longer remember any of the specifics, but if memory serves me right, this would have been AFTER RTL. Few will choose to believe it, but this came from a very reputable source, and I have no reason to question his credibility.

Hi Mary--it was most definitely after RTL. I am positive because I was really surprised that they'd even entertain such a notion after all RTL nonsense. I am sure somebody on this forum knows about this planned reunion.

You're right BobC; I was very surprised to learn of this as well. It seems to me it wasn't that long after RTL and I remember thinking "wow". I wish I could remember more specifics, but I almost want to say that the "reunion" broke down because the function never came to fruition. So that's why I am of the belief that anything is possible. Maybe it's less and less likely, but I'll never say never.

I also think that over the years Diana Ross has "softened" a bit and, with the help of her daughters, truly understands what an amazing legacy she has created. That's why I think you see Diana embracing more of her Supreme days in her recent concerts. I also think it helps that you don't hear much from Mary talking "reunion" or "sisters".

Believe me, their paths will cross one of these days.

I remember hearing that Diana, Mary and Cindy were going to reunite for the Katrina disaster telethon that was airing on all of the major networks. All three of the ladies agreed to do it, but Diana backed out because something came up that had to do with scheduling or something. I don't remember exactly why she couldn't do it.

I also heard a rumor several years ago that there were plans for a reunion concert at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas and then another rumor about Ivana Trump trying to put together a reunion.

Wasn't there mention of them crossing paths right after RTL? I have the worst memory but I think it was that fundraiser for Hillary Clinton where Diana performed. Someone please fill in the details if you remember. I think Diana was sitting at a table with the Whoopie Goldberg, Cher, and maybe the Clintons when Mary walked up to Diana and said we should talk or something like that. Now I would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall that evening. LoL.

There was also a Motown tv special that was talked about here by one of the producers or something. Things fell apart and it never happened. Last time I brought it up I got yelled at by someone here who I now ignore and who is crazy. Anyway, it was reported that DMC would be on that television show. Don't know the truth of it all though. We fans can always hope. It is show business and anything can happen.

Penny
    Avon Rep.

Hmmm--interesting. Seems like I recall something about Katrina too but I can't swear to it.

Ivana Trump? That is especially interesting because few people know that it was Donald Trump who got the original 5th Dimension back together in the 90's, to play at one of his hotels.