[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Scherrie, Mary, Susaye reunion?

In interview that came to me from Cindy's yahoo club, Scherrie speaks positively about a reunion of her and Mary and Susaye..."I think it's possible...but never for the entire group." hmmmmm wonder what Mary thinks about this?

topdiva1 Guest
    Most likely scherrie is dreaming - although i love her - this will not happen!!!!

I have to agree. Nice thought though. They did have a brief reunion on stage back in 1984 in California. I saw pics of it at the time . It was during one of Mary's shows.

Yes; Mary has said it would have to be her and Cindy and Diana first--and as far as who is willing to perform with who it seems it would have to be Cindy, Mary, Susaye and maybe Jean if not DMC.

topdiva1 Guest
    None of it REUNION WISE is likely to happen!!! Sad but True!!!!

Don't be such a naysayer, TopDiva; you never know what can happen. But, I'm sure you'll know all about the details, since everyone calls you first! ;o) Happy Labor Day all! Keep smiling!

i would assume that Mary will have a difficult time reuniting with the 70s lineups. perhaps MCS but doubtful on the others. just not enough overall public interest. just because there's 10 or 20 of us on here don't mean nothing. a reunion would have to play at a venue or venues. in order to do that you need promoters on board. they're not going to know of the MSS lineup at all. wouldn't even know the MJC lineup really. either has to be a DMC lineup or possibly the entire grouping of everyone. guess that's a DMCJLSS lineup lol. or perhaps DMCJLSSB if you include barbara. or DMCJLSSBB if betty is still alive lol

Sup_fan you are underestimating my friend. There are a lot more people than you would realize that know the groupings of MJC and also Mary, Scherrie and Susaye. We are not talking about a World-Wide massive stadium Reunion Tour. It could be done well and successfully. I don't however see a "reunion" of all those women you mentioned above.

Mary Wilson is doing just fine touring. It becomes MSS touring as The Supremes with these three who have the most going on vocally and charisma wise right now and they would have no problems getting booked in Vegas, Atlantic City, Ct, and all kinds of clubs, theaters...Great to hear from Susaye!

Mary feels What she has accomplished as a solo is too good to give up to go back to the Supremes and with the concert market being in such a horrid state right now a MSS or MSC lineup would never make it out of the corporate gig, small venues, and gay dance club circuit. It's a shame but it is what it is...
    Last edited by Glenpwood; 09-06-2010 at 04:30 PM.

sure - they could play the Russian River Resort or some place like Key West. And I'll MAYBE go along with a smaller Vegas venue, only because they'd be billed at the "Supremes" and that would draw people in

but how can there be a market for a live reunion if we aren't even getting re-releases of albums on a large scale? the hipo stuff is great but that's a small release of 5,000 or 10,000, none of which are sold out yet. I'm not in the field of concert promotion, but i think it's a safe assumption that if you can't sell 5,000 cds, you're not going to be filling up many concert halls. And as we've all said on here a zillion times, we're the ones really perpetuating the legacy of the 70s sups. Motown sure isn't. The girls, generally, aren't. Scherrie and Lynda might do a handful of 70s songs in their shows and cds but it's still mostly 60s hits. so sure MSS could reunite and sing Baby Love, Stop In The Name of Love, etc. and bill themselves as the Sups are get a handful of small stage appearances. but that's about it

They could get Stevie, John Legend, Smokey or someone to write them a new song.

Oh, for God's sake, Sup_fan... one doesn't have to have a tour to have a reunion. They can get on one of TJ's specials and sing a song or two, and let it go at that. I'd be happy with that. Mary *might* as long as witch Lynda is not involved in any way. Of course, when the CD set comes out, there's always a possiblity for a CD signing event. Something tells me Susaye's got something up her sleeve..
    Last edited by jillfoster; 09-06-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Well, that would be cool if Susaye has something up her sleeve in terms of a reunion of some nature. Whatever line-up would be fine to me. I say....come on girls, let's get the party started!

well Jillfoster, if that's all you're wanting then sure hope you hit up the 70s supremes signing for the Anthology set. they were all, cept Mary, there. guess that counts as a reunion in your book. perhaps you should just host a garden party at your house and invite them. they could sing on your patio while you grill out. invite a few friends over and name drinks after the girls.

if fans will still go and see Mary live or the Flos ,why would some feel that a MSS reunion would not work. why not. i would go ,especially since i never saw them live. and a reunion doesnt have to be a big tour. it could be a one night event etc. maybe Cindy could be there as well.

I would go see Mary, Scherrie and Susaye tomorrow! But Luke, there'll never be a reunion billed the way you titled this thread : "Scherrie, Mary & Susaye" , hehehehehehehe........

Quote Originally Posted by thelastsupreme View Post
    Don't be such a naysayer, TopDiva; you never know what can happen. But, I'm sure you'll know all about the details, since everyone calls you first! ;o) Happy Labor Day all! Keep smiling!
    Miss Susaye, I just adore you. Keep on.

I personally think that anything is possible.

Yes, Mary once said that a "reunion" would never happen with any of the ladies until a reunion of Diana, Mary, Cindy happened first.

But what is wrong with a few Mary, Cindy, Scherrie and Susaye appearances, especially with the timing of the soon-to-be-released "70's Volume 2"? I think we have it all in our minds that these "reunions" should be massive tours with sold out shows, HBO specials and new music. I'm happy with seeing these legendary ladies all in the same room, at the same time. It happened once with the "70's Anthology" release. And I think it can happen again.

I think a lot has changed in the last decade or so, and I would almost bet that hearts have softened a bit; eventually all wounds heal. Although each have gone on to have success; either personal or professioonal, I think each of these Supremes value what each member contributed to the group, and know that it is something special to be in such elite company.

Didn't Jean, Mary and Cindy sing a song or two together at one of the HAL Awards several years back? I think Scherrie was there too.

Does Jean still sing? Or would she need a lot of practice? Would Cindy?

I agree with a lot of what Sup Fan has posted. But I also agree that "reunion" doesn't mean tour. I would love to see any group of these women reunite. And I think they should do it while they can.

I don't see any of them touring very much; perhaps the FLOS. But their markets are very limited. Mostly, it is corporate events and very little in the way of real touring. Their market is very small.

I would say to any and all of them................."Go for it and the sooner the better".

Don't wait for Diana. If some of them can get together even for a "one off" for us old farts, it might encourage Diana to agree to some kind of "one off". Until they get that far, you will never see the Supremes honoured by the Grammys. They might honour Diana but they can't/won't honour the Supremes without Diana being on board.

Bradsupremes, yes they did. There were a lot of pictures of that HAL Awards online a while back including one of Mary and Jean chatting about something and then some of Mary , Jean and Cindy on stage with others singing.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has yet to honor Diana and nor will the Grammys..........

The Supremes came first and out of that we have the solo careers of Mary Wilson and Diana Ross.

Jean just did some shows this year. There were pictures posted in the old forum. She looked great and someone who attended said she sounded superb!
    Last edited by marv2; 09-07-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Marv, unfortunately you want to parallel the careers; a solo career where you sell 6000 CDs total isn't a career in a lot of books. You must be very thankful for Diana's vocals on those Supremes singles that sold so much.

You have to remember most of the general public wouldnt know Up the ladder or Floy Joy these days..some people would know Stoned Love from Forrest Gump but for the 70s Supremes thats it..I dont mean that in a bitchy way thats just the way it is people know Where,Baby Love,Stop,love child and Someday...I think the devotion on this forum to the post Diana Supremes is admirable,I really do but it loses perspective of the impact the 70s Supremes had which wasnt very much to begin with..they could get small gigs Im sure but to most of the public the Supremes ended when Diana left,,and any sensible promoter wouldnt back a group booking without Diana..better have them making Guest apperances at a Mary gig..thats where the fanbase would be and remember Berry has the power still to stop them marketing the name "Supremes" he still owns it - he let Diana use it but he and Mary havent to my knowledge ever settled their old scores...

Doesnt make sense. If some promoters book SOS, and other Supreme tributes and Mary is booked in Vegas, symphonies, etc, they certainly would book an original Supreme with two other Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Marv, unfortunately you want to parallel the careers; a solo career where you sell 6000 CDs total isn't a career in a lot of books. You must be very thankful for Diana's vocals on those Supremes singles that sold so much.
    Jobeterob, unfortunately, you want to make Diana Ross "Queen of the Heavens", but she is not. She hasn't had hit in 25 years. If you want to compare female singing artists careers and Diana Ross, you will get your feelings hurt by the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    You have to remember most of the general public wouldnt know Up the ladder or Floy Joy these days..some people would know Stoned Love from Forrest Gump but for the 70s Supremes thats it..I dont mean that in a bitchy way thats just the way it is people know Where,Baby Love,Stop,love child and Someday...I think the devotion on this forum to the post Diana Supremes is admirable,I really do but it loses perspective of the impact the 70s Supremes had which wasnt very much to begin with..they could get small gigs Im sure but to most of the public the Supremes ended when Diana left,,and any sensible promoter wouldnt back a group booking without Diana..better have them making Guest apperances at a Mary gig..thats where the fanbase would be and remember Berry has the power still to stop them marketing the name "Supremes" he still owns it - he let Diana use it but he and Mary havent to my knowledge ever settled their old scores...
    Look, let's be honest. Most of the "general public" do not think about Diana Ross either. It wasn't until Michael Jackson died did she get a bit of national press. If we excluded all music and artists that the "general public" has lost track of or forgotten.......[[ let's say 100 million people could be considered the general public ) then all you would have is "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "The Star Spangled Banner" a few Beatles records, some Stones and several Michael Jackson and Madonna songs.....

What happens is as a generation of artists and their original fans get older, they become less influential in "American Culture" sadly, but it is true. I can name 3-4 Elvis songs but not much more. The corporate owned Oldies radio stations must shoulder a lot of the blame as well. They force feed the public the same tired music over and over and over. That is why they know "Baby Love" and "My Girl". Want to verify what I am saying? Go to Youtube and read the comments [[by mostly kids) for videos of those songs.

Nomis, for the record, Berry and Mary are bosom [[sp) buddies. They reconciled over 20 years ago. Also, Berry didn't let Diane use the name "Supremes". It is my understanding that she had to lease it from Universal-Motown. Help me somebody.....
    Last edited by marv2; 09-07-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jobeterob, unfortunately, you want to make Diana Ross "Queen of the Heavens", but she is not. She hasn't had hit in 25 years. If you want to compare female singing artists careers and Diana Ross, you will get your feelings hurt by the facts.
    What facts? Since you want to compare, Diana's facts are on par with, or better than, the facts of Dionne, Patti, Gladys and Aretha for the last 25 years.

As long as we're comparing, fact is DianA, as you well know, has scored countless number 1's and top 10's worldwide as a solo artist. The number of hits Ms Wilson has had in her solo career: zero. [[#95 in the Billboard R&B charts is as far as Red Hot went)

Look, let's be honest. Most of the "general public" do not think about Diana Ross either. It wasn't until Michael Jackson died did she get a bit of national press. If we excluded all music and artists that the "general public" has lost track of or forgotten.......[[ let's say 100 million people could be considered the general public ) then all you would have is "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "The Star Spangled Banner" a few Beatles records, some Stones and several Michael Jackson and Madonna songs.....

What happens is as a generation of artists and their original fans get older, they become less influential in "American Culture" sadly, but it is true. I can name 3-4 Elvis songs but not much more. The corporate owned Oldies radio stations must shoulder a lot of the blame as well. They force feed the public the same tired music over and over and over. That is why they know "Baby Love" and "My Girl". Want to verify what I am saying? Go to Youtube and read the comments [[by mostly kids) for videos of those songs.
    There you have it. In a nutshell. Perfect post. Let's face it, today's culture is pretty much bankrupt. I mean, Britney spears and Paris hilton for God's sakes! And Angelina Jolie and her damn life raft lips and weird incestuous makeout sessions. Heaven help us all. i'd much RATHER see Diana Ross having hit record after hit record than Britney spears and Hannah Montana.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 09-07-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Nomis, for the record, Berry and Mary are bossuom [[sp) buddies. They reconciled over 20 years ago. Also, Berry didn't let Diane use the name "Supremes". It is my understanding that she had to lease it from Universal-Motown. Help me somebody.....
    Berry doesn't own the name Supremes, he hasn't since he sold Motown the first time. [[1989?)

Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxx View Post
    As long as we're comparing, fact is DianA, as you well know, has scored countless number 1's and top 10's worldwide as a solo artist. The number of hits Ms Wilson has had in her solo career: zero. [[#95 in the Billboard R&B charts is as far as Red Hot went)
    Look, I am not even going to waste time going there at this moment. That was all last CENTURY. They are both still touring countless hits or not.

This probably won't bother most posters but Diana Ross has sold 100 million records/cds where she is the lead voice. Mary Wilson sold about 6000 records or cds.

It is not a negative; it is just a fact. Twist it however you want. Scherrie Payne has been on the Billboard Charts more than Mary Wilson; so has Lynda Laurence.

Diana Ross has a voice known to the world ~ hence a Kennedy Centre Honour, a Soul Train Heritage Award etc. There are voices that are known instantly - Aretha, Barbra, Tina, Diana. Perhaps Madonna. Perhaps to a younger crowd, Britney or Beyonce.

Sadly, that list does not include superb singers like Susaye Greene; and it does not include Lynda Laurence, Jean Terrell, or Mary Wilson.

All of these singers are loved by their fans - be they hundreds or thousands; and the love is real. Their success or lack of it doesn't take anything away from it. But sales, awards, chart positions, concerts, tours, Central Park, movies, tv specials ~ they are facts.

You can delude as you must to survive; but you can't concoct what isn't there.

Any reunions would be most welcome and those involved, if interested, should fly at it. For those that want to wait for the big one - well, as one of them sang, "I'm still waiting........." and we likely will wait until our or their final breaths.

Thanks Marv for your info on the Supremes trademark...Jill..yes pop culture is bankrupt..if kids are finding out about Temptations and Supremes on you Tube more power to them I say...

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Doesnt make sense. If some promoters book SOS, and other Supreme tributes and Mary is booked in Vegas, symphonies, etc, they certainly would book an original Supreme with two other Supremes.

More importantly Luke, that Original Supreme and the two other Supremes actually sang, recorded and performed together as a GROUP in the past which would make it a legitimate REUNION!

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Thanks Marv for your info on the Supremes trademark...Jill..yes pop culture is bankrupt..if kids are finding out about Temptations and Supremes on you Tube more power to them I say...
    You are very welcome Nomis. What's great is that they are also learning about people such as Florence Ballard and Paul Williams. They do not all believe that the movie "The Temptations" was real and starred the real members of the Temptations. Although I did have one kid ask me "so......who replaced Effie in the Supremes?" LOL!

Jobeterob wrote: "They might honour Diana but they can't/won't honour the Supremes without Diana being on board. "

It's been done:
    1) The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction - 1988
    2) The Hollywood Walk of Fame Star Ceremony - 1994
    3) The Rhythm and Blues Foundation Awards - 2003
    4) The Hero and Legends Awards - 2004

For some reason they did not feel they needed Diana on board on those occaisions in order to honor The Supremes.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-07-2010 at 07:11 PM.

smark21 Guest
    Jobeterob wrote: "They might honour Diana but they can't/won't honour the Supremes without Diana being on board. "

It's been done:
    1) The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction - 1988
    2) The Hollywood Walk of Fame Star Ceremony - 1994
    3) The Rhythm and Blues Foundation Awards - 2003
    4) The Hero and Legends Awards - 2004

For some reason they did not feel they needed Diana on board on those occaisions in order to honor The Supremes.
    Wasn't Diana expected to be at R and R Hall of Fame, but she cancelled out? Don't know about the others, but I believe she sent one of her daughters to pick up either the R and B Foundation Award or the Hero and Legends Award. Of course a few years ago in Germany, some music organization honored the Supremes with a lifetime achievement award and Kaaren Ragland and her girls showed up to pick up the award.

Smark21, yes she was expected at the R and R Hall of Fame, but was a no show. Mary Wilson graciously accepted on behalf of the Supremes and tried valiently to cover for Ross and her absence. Didn't matter. it did not go over well with some ,so there you had Mike Love of the Beach Boys slammin' Ross from the podium during his group's induction speech.

That lifetime achievement award that Kaaren Ragland picked up in Germany on behalf of the Supremes was the final straw that pissed Mary off and made her sue Ragland.

I'd love to see MSS reunite and take the classic albums approach that seems to be getting so popular on the road these days and perform the "High Energy" and "Mary Scherrie Susaye" album in full in sequence. It would also free them up from the critical fans who claim they shouldn't sing the Ross/Terrell material.

I hear you Glenpwood. If they only sang "You Are the Heart of Me" and "We Should Be Closer Together" then that would be all I'd need to hear!

Rob..... that is not accurate. Mary Wilson did not sell 6,000 records over her entire career with her voice on lead.

"Floy Joy"- 600,000 copies
    "Touch" - 200,000 copies
    "Automatically sunshine"- 350,000 copies
    "He's My Man"- 175,000 copies
    "Red Hot" - 60,000 copies
    "Mary wilson"- 6,500 copies
    "Walk the Line"- unknown

that 6,000 figure you bandy about is from Taraborelli's book, and it refers to ONLY sales for the 1979 ALBUM, "Mary wilson"....not the single "Red Hot", or any other song in which Mary sang lead.

No.................Randy didn't write that, unless it was in his new book. But it is definitely quoted as her sales figure. But you do have a point - she did share the lead on those songs, although the figures are a little high. But they often are in all these discussions;Diana's sales too.

I was just trying to get Marv to report me to Mary; it has been years since she and I talked.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    No.................Randy didn't write that, unless it was in his new book. But it is definitely quoted as her sales figure. But you do have a point - she did share the lead on those songs, although the figures are a little high. But they often are in all these discussions;Diana's sales too.

I was just trying to get Marv to report me to Mary; it has been years since she and I talked.
    Not for worldwide, they aren't high. Don't forget, you have the UK, all of Europe, Japan, Australia.

jonc Guest
    Nomis, for the record, Berry and Mary are bosom [[sp) buddies. They reconciled over 20 years ago. Also, Berry didn't let Diane use the name "Supremes". It is my understanding that she had to lease it from Universal-Motown. Help me somebody.....

If Berry and Mary are such bosom buddies Marv how come Berry doesn't attend any of Mary's shows? Berry attends every LA show of Diana's. He was at Diana's Nokia concert in June beaming with pride. He was at Smokey's Hollywood Bowl concert in July and at Stevie and Diana's Hollywood Bowl concert a year or so ago.

As for Berry "letting Diane [[as you call her) use the Supremes name" well it's not his decision. The Supremes name is 100% owned by Universal-Motown.

jonc Guest
    Look, I am not even going to waste time going there at this moment. That was all last CENTURY. .
    But you'll spend time [[daily I might add) trashing Miss Ross about stuff that may or may not have happened decades ago.LMFAO at your blatant hypocrisy.

Back to Scherrie, Mary and Susaye.....