[REMOVE ADS]

Jimmy Ellis former lead singer of The Trammps has died

R.I.P. Jimmy Ellis he was lead vocalist on the mega hit "Disco Inferno".

Before the Trammps, he was lead singer with an R&B group and then the Four Exceptions [[Parkway) & Exceptions [[Cameo / Groovey Grooves).
    Their Parkway + one of the Groovey Grooves 45's go for big bucks [[to NS fans).

Now we are getting to close to home. Part of my life just pasted also. Jimmy meant so much to me. His voice always made me feel so glad to be alive. Mixing The Trammps was the greatest thrill in my life and when I was working on their music it was almost a religious inner feeling I got when Jimmy would start to sing. I felt such Joy when he would sing and I know others felt the same way.I Love You Jimmy and I am so thankful I got the chance to know you and work with you. You will always be in my Heart dear Friend. RIP Jimmy

Sorry to hear this - I was only listening to Disco Inferno today. Great voice, will be sadly missed.

Saw Jimmy and The Trammps back in the 70's in London - never forgotten just how good they all were.... Jimmy was a dynamic front man and exuded warmth and connected with the audience from the outset -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QvNClAC6BQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p5Kd9ToZqg

Dang, I was just listening to Down By The Ocean the other day and was remarking to my sister friend how Earl Young was tearing up the bass part. Hold Back The Night was the bomb. Rest in Peace Mr. Ellis, loved, loved your voice and your contributions to Philly Soul.

So bad, bad news...
    I'll never forget his extraordinary shout at the start of Isley bro's cover of "Shout". His gospel great voice on so many songs "Just Say The Word", "Pray All Your Sinners", "Teaser"... He was the Joe Ligon of Philadelphia! Rest in Peace, Jimmy Ellis.

P.D.: He never was with The Volcanos? Who replaced Gene Faith?

He had a powerful, distinctive voice. Philly Soul to his core! He can still be heard weekly on the radio as "Disco Inferno" has become somewhat of an anthem to the genre and just good times period. I extend my condolences to his family, friends and fans of which I am one! Thanks Jimmy!

Marv

Another voice silenced... RIP, Jimmy. Glad we have all those great songs to keep your voice alive!

RIP, Mr. Ellis.

So sorry to hear this.
    We [[ The Tymes )had the pleasure of sharing the stage with Jimmy.
    May he rest in peace.
    THE TYMES

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...6zR_story.html

Jimmy Ellis, frontman for The Trammps who belted out “Burn, baby burn!”, dies at 74 in S.C.

By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, March 8, 8:39 PM
    ROCK HILL, S.C. — James T. “Jimmy” Ellis, who belted out the refrain “Burn, baby burn!” in a 1970s-era disco hit that’s still replayed in modern sports arenas, has died. He was 74.

David Turner of Bass-Cauthen Funeral Home in Rock Hill, S.C., said the frontman for The Trammps died Thursday at a nursing home in the city. A cause of death was not immediately known.

Personal Post [[ The Herald / Associated Press ) - In this 2005 photo, singer Jimmy Ellis shows the Gold Record he received for his band The Trammps recording of “Disco Inferno” in Rock Hill, S.C. Ellis, who battled Alzheimer’s disease the past three years after touring up until 2008, died Thursday morning, March 8, 2012 in Rock Hill, S.C., his wife and brother said. He was 74.
    The Trammps released “Disco Inferno” — the song with the popular refrain — in 1976. The song was featured in the iconic movie “Saturday Night Fever,” its soundtrack winning the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1978. “Disco Inferno” soared up to No. 11 on Billboard’s Hot 100 on May 27, 1978.

Turner said a memorial service will be held Friday in Charlotte, N.C.

Saw them live at the Lido in Amsterdam in 1981.
    RIP Jimmy: Go Where The Happy People Go!

Another real sad loss, Jimmy Ellis rated Highly in the voices I loved, seeing The Trammps the first time live was just amazing, that real Gospel Vocal.

Jimmy you will be Missed, May You Rest in Peace, thanks for the Music you brought us with you Gift, Your Voice! No one can take away the memories you have left.

Family and friends of Jimmy Ellis might be interested to know that Jimmy's passing was announced by BBC national news midday today. James T.Ellis' role with the Trammps, his vocals on Disco Inferno, and the enormous success as part of the Saturday Night Fever sound track was mentioned. That's quite some recognition by the BBC as to the mark Jimmy made on the world......

I'll never forget this: I was in the army stationed in South Korea and went to see a USO tour that came through featuring
    a number of bands, most of them funk groups like Mass Production, Brass Construction and Peoples Choice. Not being a big disco fan I was shocked by what occurred that night, Jimmy and The Tramps stole the show! Killed us! Hold Back The Night done live knocked the mess outta everybody...RIP, Mr Ellis, you sure knew how to put on a show!....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Family and friends of Jimmy Ellis might be interested to know that Jimmy's passing was announced by BBC national news midday today. James T.Ellis' role with the Trammps, his vocals on Disco Inferno, and the enormous success as part of the Saturday Night Fever sound track was mentioned. That's quite some recognition by the BBC as to the mark Jimmy made on the world......
    Jimmy Ellis' death was mentioned on Good Morning America on Friday morning. No doubt they probably reported the same story as the BBC. He was definitely distinctive among Philly and East Coast singers. AS SOON AS YOU HEARD HIM YOU KNEW WHO IT WAS. Hold Back the Night is a killer jam. May he rest in peace.

My condolences......

Interesting Splank......and I can understand it.

According to Bobby Eli, Jimmy had Alzheimer's Disease and was in a nursing home.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
    According to Bobby Eli, Jimmy had Alzheimer's Disease and was in a nursing home.
    Yes that is sadly correct, may Jimmy Rest in Peace!

One Of The Greatest Voices to ever Grace A Microphone........God Bless You Brother!......Lord Knows You Blessed us With That Wonderful Voice!.....RIP

I knew he had Alzheimers but this is so sad. Probably one of the greatest voices to come out of the disco era [[or any era for that matter) he really made you feel what he was singing. RIP Jimmy,

Name:  jimmyellistrammps.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  65.0 KB

Jimmy should be proud of all he achieved & did in Music.